test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 6 Dev Blog #17

Comments

• linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    "Star Trek" is a fantastic franchise. I grew up enjoying hundreds of hours of episodes. Upon taking a quick step back, I do not think "Star Trek: Online" is reflective of the franchise. I really do not see "Star Trek" within the hearts and minds of the developers. If they knew the premise of the show, what its underlying message is about, Perfect World would have approached this differently. People do not mind paying, but they also do not want to be milked.

Seriously, what is the overall goal to playing? People grind resources in order to obtain new ships and equipment. Okay, I get that is a strategy, but why? Why do we need these new pieces of technologies? If the idea is to grind resources to obtain new items for grinding, I think there is a serious lack of overall vision.

Why do we need these fleetbases? Outside of them being used for grinding, (or to obtain more effective tools for grinding), what is the purpose for having them?

While looking at this perfectly designed "Star Trek" item, the only thing I see is another tool used for grinding resources. Its an overpriced aesthetically designed product, which will be used for the mass production of fleet marks and dilithium.

Fleetbases are starting to feel like old school mass production factories, which people used to build better equipment for mining ore, precious metals, and other commodities. "Star Trek: Online" has moved from being adventurous to an assembly line. It has become some type of propaganda tool that is being used to promote manual labor and obedient behavior. I play video games to escape the nuances of reality.

"Star Trek: Online's" endgame lacks vision. Cryptic wants people to buy endgame items, so they can be used for what exactly? Personally, I don't want to use them for mining. I want to use them for exploring, battling some sort of enemy, negotiate peace, etc... I want these items to have an overall purpose, outside of being used for grinding, that reflects the foundations of the "Star Trek" universe.

Where is the space exploration?

Where is the fun?

What is god's name is the overall purpose to this game?

Where the hell did the main storyline go?

Where are the featured missions?

Why is there no other reason for having these items except for grinding?

Why is everything overpriced while having a lack of purpose?

"Star Trek: Online" lacks a pulse.
  • snipe048snipe048 Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    7 Bucks for a per character piece of Armor with a limited use? No way in H E Double hokey sticks will I pay that.

Looks Cool, but the price was thought up by an inept person.

Founder and Current CO of Gamma Strike Force

Player since December 2009
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm still waiting to see if they will charge Zen Every time you fire a weapon.

They could make it so that you have to use weapons batteries to actually fire the weapons on your ship then remove the weapons batteries from the vendor and sell them for a zen each in the c-store.

Then in order to fly around they make us put refined dilithium in our ships to power the engines and with out it make it so our engines are disabled until we do. If we are out then we could open our zen wallet and use the dilithium exchange to get the dilithium to make our ship move.
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Talk about expensive...

7$ for a single per-character item that's gonna be used in basically two missions? lol no.

I may get the KDF one off the exchange at one point, but that will be at the expense of some other poor soul who actually paid real money for it...

I know it's F2P and stuff, but seriously, these prices together with a total grindfest the game has become are getting completely ridiculous. 400 Zen would be pushing it, but 700 is just a poor joke at this point.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • karmapointkarmapoint Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Argh.

Ok, the looks, the design, the awesome-looking AV suit is really cool.

But the price... :mad:

700 Zen is too much for one-character item for use only in nukara and one DS9 episode.

700 Zen? For one-character only? You can place something better for 700 Zen.

IF is a AV suit with some special skill or tool to help you to mine crystals in nukara, like a cloak system or protection against any acid pool or any better and unique feature, better. But just a good-looking suit is not enough.

For account-items like uniforms we pay 550 zen. Ok, if you want to place a new rule for one-character items, please, place something under 400 zen to sell more in a good amount.

But for 700 is too high to me and for a lot of persons. You can do better for 700 Zen. Ships, account-wide items, services, characters slots, or any other really practical stuff.

For a character-only suit for a few missions, without better features? :mad:
    Brasilis Elite Squad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PW/Crypt can't make more KDF Content?
  • starfleetfcstarfleetfc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Cryptic, reconsider this. Do these easy steps

1. Make it a pack, for 700 ZEN. Both EV suits.
    2. Account-wide unlock, BOUND.
    3. Forget 700 ZEN, 400 or 500 would do.
    4. Give whoever made this price multiple slaps on the head.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Just throwing in my feedback... 700 Zen is too high for a per-character unlock such as this.

I will never buy it, especially when there is exactly one location currently in the game where it might matter.

Good luck with that free-to-play stuff, Cryptic.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • cptwilliam2cptwilliam2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I miss the old Atari days.

Before character unlocks. :(
    Join Legends Memorial, a chat channel to share stories about the legends of Trek who are no longer with us.
  • christopherchasechristopherchase Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The artist that made these did an amazing job, and I would love to have them for my characters.

At 700 zen a character it won't happen. 700 zen for an account wide unlock, I would go for but not per character. Too expensive.

Formerly Christopher_Chase
    I've been here since Open Beta
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    suricatta wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but this just reminds me of the phrase "We were just following orders". What Cryptic is doing is wrong and they are severaly damaging whatever reputation they have left. I find it hard to believe that no one in the Cryptic building has any control at all over anything in STO anymore. It just remeinds me of 'The year of hell' where everyone blamed Atari for everything that was wrong, it just feels like no matter goes wrong in this game, its always someone elses fault, not Cryptics, I don't buy that anymore.
    It's still slightly better than people blaming Cryptic for anything/everything that goes wrong, when Atari/PWE deserve some of that blame.

Sorry, but after seeing Cryptic shoulder so much undeserved blame, I won't stand for it again. This is clearly a PWE move, that Cryptic is forced to do or bye-bye jobs, and I stand by that opinion.

I love this game. I like Cryptic's employee's, as I've seen they love Star Trek, and are doing what they can with what they have.

But PWE is not like that. And they're giving the orders. I have issues with that.

And I refuse to give Cryptic any blame for doing their jobs. It's something we all have to do, and imo is not a issue to blame them for in the first place.
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,628 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Nice work character art team!
  • ethoirethoir Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    700 for a Per Character item is unreasonable. It would make sense as an account item (with a jump to 800 or 1000) but as it is, it is not palatable for me as a player and as a consumer to have to constantly dish out my hard-gained money to replace this thing if I accidentally toss it out a tenth-floor window and into a dumpster.

Even the Exchange angle is a bad idea. It would have a ridiculously inflated EC price tag. :(
  • startrek1warsstartrek1wars Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    First Contact EVA suits are AWESOME! However, 700 zen is . . . expensive. Well, I'll just keep trading in dilithium, and try to get it that way. *sigh*
  • rtk142rtk142 Member Posts: 613 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    jaxjaguars wrote: »
    I hope no one buys it. Maybe the price will go lower after they see Total First Day sales of $21.

The sad thing is I'm betting people really will buy them
    bridges.jpg
    Let us upgrade the Seleya Ceremonial Lirpa and Kri'stak Blade
  • stohansonstohanson Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    rtk142 wrote: »
    I'm betting people really will buy them

So is Cryptic....
  • cptwilliam2cptwilliam2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    trek21 wrote: »
    It's still slightly better than people blaming Cryptic for anything/everything that goes wrong, when Atari/PWE deserve some of that blame.

Sorry, but after seeing Cryptic shoulder so much undeserved blame, I won't stand for it again. This is clearly a PWE move, that Cryptic is forced to do or bye-bye jobs, and I stand by that opinion.

I love this game. I like Cryptic's employee's, as I've seen they love Star Trek, and are doing what they can with what they have.

But PWE is not like that. And they're giving the orders. I have issues with that.

And I refuse to give Cryptic any blame for doing their jobs. It's something we all have to do, and imo is not a issue to blame them for in the first place.

I would believe that but no matter who owns them, i see the same stuff from Cryptic. I don't think its just the poor Cryptic employees following an evil overlord.

PWE and Cryptic are the same thing, good and bad.

When they make something good, its both of them. Same for the bad.

All my opinion. :D
    Join Legends Memorial, a chat channel to share stories about the legends of Trek who are no longer with us.
    edited July 2012
    WOW just WOW.

You know, I want you guys to make the money you need to keep the content (Romulans) coming.

But I can't help but feel a little gouged with this latest offering.

Please consider making this account-wide and you've got my money.

I agree with everything you said, especially the part about the Romulans. Jolan Tru my friend.
    bridges.jpg
  • direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    In addition to the prohibitive cost that ensures that the only people buying these are the ones with more money than brains, it would seem that the per character unlock is actually a per captain unlock. You can only get one of these per character without purchasing another suit.

Meaning, there will probably be no missions in the future where you will need your Bridge Officers in EVA suits along with you, and all you will ever need is one suit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
    edited July 2012
    Thanks Cryptic for this kick-TRIBBLE suit!

All the hate I'm going to get for wearing one will be so worth the price!

<Fry face>Can't tell if serious or sarcasm</Fry face>
    bridges.jpg
  • mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    cormoran wrote: »
    Rest assured I most certainly will not, but I'll also let them know my displeasure here aswell.

This isn't PWE though. This is a player driven support forum. No offense but you;re preaching to the choir and not the 90 year old guy in the back row who has all the money.

PWE: http://www.pwe-inc.com/contact

Or even better yet:

CBS: http://www.cbsconsumerproducts.com/generalinfo.php
  • odyssey47odyssey47 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Anyone in this thread that has ever purchased a pack of cigarettes or a an energy drink costing more than $2 has no right to complain about the price of this item. You'll get more use out of this EV suit than that TRIBBLE, but you probably buy it daily. That's just two examples. Everyone wastes their money on useless items and don't give it a second thought. If you don't like it don't buy it. A good majority of you whiners will still buy it. No one is forcing you to buy anything, this game is free. There is nothing that costs money that you must have. Hell most of the lock box items and apparently this EV suit can be bought on the exchange, for no real money. Zen can be bought with dilithium.The way I see it, the only reason certain items are this expensive, the only reason lock boxes exist, is because Cryptic and PWE has given you a game that is 99% free, but they have to pay their employees and pay for the equipment, and pay their rights to CBS. I'm amazed they make enough money as it is. We can all skip a day of cigarettes, super value meals, drugs, hookers, and new rims that are worth more than our car, to support a game that all of you obviously love, in a franchise that you obviously love. If you don't have the money, grind the dilithium or buy it on the exchange.
  • suricattasuricatta Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    odyssey47 wrote: »
    Anyone in this thread that has ever purchased a pack of cigarettes or a an energy drink costing more than $2 has no right to complain about the price of this item. You'll get more use out of this EV suit than that TRIBBLE, but you probably buy it daily. That's just two examples. Everyone wastes their money on useless items and don't give it a second thought. If you don't like it don't buy it. A good majority of you whiners will still buy it. No one is forcing you to buy anything, this game is free. There is nothing that costs money that you must have. Hell most of the lock box items and apparently this EV suit can be bought on the exchange, for no real money. Zen can be bought with dilithium.The way I see it, the only reason certain items are this expensive, the only reason lock boxes exist, is because Cryptic and PWE has given you a game that is 99% free, but they have to pay their employees and pay for the equipment, and pay their rights to CBS. I'm amazed they make enough money as it is. We can all skip a day of cigarettes, super value meals, drugs, hookers, and new rims that are worth more than our car, to support a game that all of you obviously love, in a franchise that you obviously love. If you don't have the money, grind the dilithium or buy it on the exchange.

It's funny you should say that, thats the 'exact' logic I've always used when playing MMO's. That the subscription was worth it, becasue it was just the cost of going out and getting pizza and a drink, but I got a month of playing a game. Thats why I'm angry, the increase in cost for what I get in return is absolutly terrable now the game is F2P. Some of the items in the C-store cost more than some entire games do! This isn't about the relative costs to items in the real world, its do do with the insane increase in price in what Cryptic thinks is acceptable to pay.
    edited July 2012
    I have to wonder what the devs and their PWE overseers are thinking of the rage going on here. Doubt we'll ever see any of them comment on it, they'll just keep the price and everything as it is and never acknowledge this was a huge debacle. I don't know what I'll be spending my stipends on, probably saving for the Odyssey pack unless another must have ship like the Armitage comes along first, but I can promise you it will NOT be one of these suits unless the price is dropped and it's made account wide.
    bridges.jpg
  • direphoenixdirephoenix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012

In order for these things to appear on the exchange, someone still has to purchase them from the C-Store. Whether that person buys it with cash, subscription stipend ZEN, or ground-out dilithium, that person has more $$ than interconnected neurons. I'm not sure any amount of EC is worth the 700 ZEN it takes to move these from the C-Store, so whoever sells these on the Exchange is just short-changing themselves.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Raptr profile
  • mazikenmaziken Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Value is in the eye of the beholder. Some may think the price is too much, some may not. But make no mistake, it is all subjective. Some here may think that me spending over $500 on a boardgame with expansions is a waste of money, however I do not.

If you don't like the price, then don't buy it. If enough people don't buy them, they'll probably drop the price after several months. But don't be naive enough to think that any amount of complaining here on the forums will cause them to instantly drop the price of an item.

As many stated before me, the market of supply and demand will dictate the price of the items.
  • odyssey47odyssey47 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    In order for these things to appear on the exchange, someone still has to purchase them from the C-Store. Whether that person buys it with cash, subscription stipend ZEN, or ground-out dilithium, that person has more $$ than interconnected neurons. I'm not sure any amount of EC is worth the 700 ZEN it takes to move these from the C-Store, so whoever sells these on the Exchange is just short-changing themselves.

That's that person's choice for doing so. It's a bit of a reach for anyone to call Cryptic/PWE greedy when everything can be purchased for free. Some of those methods take a long time, but if they didn't, no one would spend real money and the game would go under. I mean, no one wants to go to work, but we can't all be on welfare.
  • kilemorgankilemorgan Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I don't know about greedy.
    I do question how they come to the costs they are asking for the restrictions they place.
    Also it is up to each person to decide if this is worth it. Some people will spend a hundred dollars on a pair of shoes after all.

I doubt if they would lower the price even if most people did not buy it. They would likely put it in a lockbox.
  • omegasprimeomegasprime Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    daveyny wrote: »
    As a casual player who lives from paycheck to paycheck, They are putting the game out of my price range at this point...

It took me 5 months to save up for the LTS while I was also paying the monthly fee...

I thought the game was worth it back then but lately, with everything being priced on the high side, I've had to cut way back on my STO expenditures...

Shame really, the game is still kinda fun fun to play, but it's becoming a "keeping-up-with-the Jones' ", type of thing and I'd rather eat and put gas in the car, than attempt to play what is essentially becoming a money-pit.

The game stopped being worth putting money into long before F2P. About 8 months before F2P
    linyive wrote: »
    "Star Trek" is a fantastic franchise. I grew up enjoying hundreds of hours of episodes. Upon taking a quick step back, I do not think "Star Trek: Online" is reflective of the franchise. I really do not see "Star Trek" within the hearts and minds of the developers. If they knew the premise of the show, what its underlying message is about, Perfect World would have approached this differently. People do not mind paying, but they also do not want to be milked.

Seriously, what is the overall goal to playing? People grind resources in order to obtain new ships and equipment. Okay, I get that is a strategy, but why? Why do we need these new pieces of technologies? If the idea is to grind resources to obtain new items for grinding, I think there is a serious lack of overall vision.

Why do we need these fleetbases? Outside of them being used for grinding, (or to obtain more effective tools for grinding), what is the purpose for having them?

While looking at this perfectly designed "Star Trek" item, the only thing I see is another tool used for grinding resources. Its an overpriced aesthetically designed product, which will be used for the mass production of fleet marks and dilithium.

Fleetbases are starting to feel like old school mass production factories, which people used to build better equipment for mining ore, precious metals, and other commodities. "Star Trek: Online" has moved from being adventurous to an assembly line. It has become some type of propaganda tool that is being used to promote manual labor and obedient behavior. I play video games to escape the nuances of reality.

"Star Trek: Online's" endgame lacks vision. Cryptic wants people to buy endgame items, so they can be used for what exactly? Personally, I don't want to use them for mining. I want to use them for exploring, battling some sort of enemy, negotiate peace, etc... I want these items to have an overall purpose, outside of being used for grinding, that reflects the foundations of the "Star Trek" universe.

Where is the space exploration?

Where is the fun?

What is god's name is the overall purpose to this game?

Where the hell did the main storyline go?

Where are the featured missions?

Why is there no other reason for having these items except for grinding?

Why is everything overpriced while having a lack of purpose?

"Star Trek: Online" lacks a pulse.

There is no more fun to this game.
    I miss the old Atari days.

Before character unlocks. :(

At least we were getting REAL content then.
    AKA Primus01, Lifetime member since January 16, 2010
    Windows 10 Pro
    Intel Core i7-5700
    RAM 32 GB
    2 Titan GTX 980M GDDR5 8 GB
  • xenor002xenor002 Member Posts: 424
    edited July 2012
    "Computer. Access program "Wallet."
    "Access is Denied."

Yeah...no thanks Cryptic. You'd think by now STO would be in better financial shape....oh wait stuff like this doesn't ahve to do with that....? :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] EXPLORE.

Dec '07 Account
    I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
    Something should be done for those who cared enough to have a 1000+ day sub.
  • omegasprimeomegasprime Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    That's that person's choice for doing so. It's a bit of a reach for anyone to call Cryptic/PWE greedy when everything can be purchased for free. Some of those methods take a long time, but if they didn't, no one would spend real money and the game would go under. I mean, no one wants to go to work, but we can't all be on welfare.

Someone has to buy Zen points and put it on the exchange. The only free Zen are the one lifers get after 2 years into the game.

So, if Zen needs to be purchase in order to be put on the exchange for the dilithium grinders to get then how is anything in the game free?

If all the people who buy Zen point stop buy or putting them on the exchange where will the Zen points come from?

I suggest everyone stop putting Zen point up for dilithium so that people see nothing in the C-Store can be obtain for free.
    AKA Primus01, Lifetime member since January 16, 2010
    Windows 10 Pro
    Intel Core i7-5700
    RAM 32 GB
    2 Titan GTX 980M GDDR5 8 GB