test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tholian Lock Box

Comments

• aeolusdallasaeolusdallas Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Some things in life are pathetic. This new lock box is one of them.

Nothing is forcing you to open them or even pick them up.
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm hoping they're not bind on pickup too, but so far nothing found in a lockbox has been bind on pickup yet except for lobi, has it?

Have you noticed they changed the photonic tac officer in the lobi store? That used to be bind on pickup, now it's packaged.

like i said, i hope im wrong. its been a wile since i played the lock box game, since first week of the cardie boxes. what about things like shield boxes, when you open them are they bind on pick up? if not, i hope that sets enough of a precedent.
  • meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    kalecto wrote: »
    I don't mind the lock boxes, I really don't but Cryptic, could you please reduce the size of the graphical shiny lock box which drops in the environment, you know those giant boxes that get in the way of your targets, your teams mates and generally your viewing pleasure.

It's not so much an issue when one drops, but when a few dozen or more drop and they're everywhere that's really annoying. So at least have them the same size as normal drop containers.

Or they could roll the lockbox drops, into the same drop "bags" that generally float around in space. Green-colored beams off light is more preferable than huge boxes floating everywhere.
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • hrci2907hrci2907 Member Posts: 648 Media Corps
    edited July 2012
    Any hints as to when they're released?

hence a smile!:D
    "This is your ultimate STO Youtube channel!"
    https://youtube.com/user/MyBalkanGaming
  • matteo716maikaimatteo716maikai Member Posts: 823
    edited July 2012

true, but when we wait and wait and wait for things and this is all we're given.... what then?

i want game balance fixed.
  • meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited July 2012

When they drop more frequently than anything else in the game, it's hard NOT to pick them up. Add to that, that every episode in the game gets a "Mystery Lockbox" attached to it, and every completed STF includes a mystery box.
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This Lock Box seems better then the ones they've released before.
  • darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    like i said, i hope im wrong. its been a wile since i played the lock box game, since first week of the cardie boxes. what about things like shield boxes, when you open them are they bind on pick up? if not, i hope that sets enough of a precedent.

No, when you open them they're bind on equip. I bought some keys today for lockboxes. Everything, except for lobi, was bind on equip. I was very lucky with the boxes, too!!
  • borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2012
    What happens to Mystery boxes then? old ones we have etc

Once the Tholian Lock Box goes live, Mystery Boxes will be removed from the appropriate store(s) and drop table(s), and replaced with the new Tholian Lock Box. Since there's no Gold box this time around, there's no need to have a "Mystery" box layer of wrapping, and the Lock Box will be available directly instead.

The contents of existing Mystery Boxes that have been purchased, but not opened... we're still finalizing our decision on that, and we will update you when we know for certain.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    When are the Tholian boxes arriving?

and more to the point... Mirror Typhoon plox.

Dammit im excited about a lockbox ship.. someone help me!

wait a sec... (thank you brain)

will the mirror universe ships have their own interiors? (ie agony booths etc?)
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • shapeywhelmshapeywhelm Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Once the Tholian Lock Box goes live, Mystery Boxes will be removed from the appropriate store(s) and drop table(s), and replaced with the new Tholian Lock Box. Since there's no Gold box this time around, there's no need to have a "Mystery" box layer of wrapping, and the Lock Box will be available directly instead.

The contents of existing Mystery Boxes that have been purchased, but not opened... we're still finalizing our decision on that, and we will update you when we know for certain.

will you update us before the patch?

because if you update after the patch and they just convert to Tholian white lockboxes = BLARGH

You really need to tell us ahead of time so we can open them now to get a last chance at gold ferengi
  • perfectcrypticperfectcryptic Member Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    At least fix the exchange before you launch this . Nothing like expired/old items showing... Plus all the other bugs reported through testing on tribble.
  • stohansonstohanson Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Details about the new Tholian Lock Box are revealed in entry #13 of the Season 6 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.

Can Cryptic make it so Lock Boxes don't drop on every other drop? They are being shoved down our throats... It's just as bad a spam in my opinion.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    No Gold versions.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

But what about the mystery packages then? They are pointless if there is no gold box. Hopefully, they will be removed.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
    edited July 2012
    will you update us before the patch?

because if you update after the patch and they just convert to Tholian white lockboxes = BLARGH

You really need to tell us ahead of time so we can open them now to get a last chance at gold ferengi

If you're honestly concerned with this, there is practically no reason to not open your Mystery Boxes now. The outcome will be one of two possibilities:

1) Mystery Boxes remain Ferengi in content, allowing either a Regular or Gold Ferengi Box to be received when opening them.
    -or-
    2) Mystery Boxes will now ALL reward a standard Tholian Lock Box.

It is unlikely that any other outcome will result.
    Jeremy Randall
    "Play smart!"
    edited July 2012
    diogene0 wrote: »
    But what about the mystery packages then? They are pointless if there is no gold box. Hopefully, they will be removed.

Were gold boxes really that good? I only ever got 3 and they all sucked. Anything good I got from green boxes.
    edited July 2012
    true, but when we wait and wait and wait for things and this is all we're given.... what then?

i want game balance fixed.

Are you honestly incapable of understanding the very simple fact that different teams to different things?
    Lockboxes are HOW Cryptic makes the money to run this game. It is their primary source of revenue. Different people work on making lockbox prizes than work on missions or bug fixes.

They will always be making new lockboxes. That will never change and it has no effect on the rest of the game.
    edited July 2012
    meurik wrote: »
    When they drop more frequently than anything else in the game, it's hard NOT to pick them up. Add to that, that every episode in the game gets a "Mystery Lockbox" attached to it, and every completed STF includes a mystery box.

So what? It still doesn't effect you in any meaningful way. You are not forced to pick them up.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Were gold boxes really that good? I only ever got 3 and they all sucked. Anything good I got from green boxes.

Yes, rewards odds were much better. And all this constant changes about the rules are really disturbing. We can't plan anything about the game.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
    edited July 2012
    If you're honestly concerned with this, there is practically no reason to not open your Mystery Boxes now. The outcome will be one of two possibilities:

1) Mystery Boxes remain Ferengi in content, allowing either a Regular or Gold Ferengi Box to be received when opening them.
    -or-
    2) Mystery Boxes will now ALL reward a standard Tholian Lock Box.

It is unlikely that any other outcome will result.

yes but if you announce 1), then a few months down the road saved up mystery boxes will sell for quite a bit more then the current 15-20k

so there is a concern when profit is to be had ;)
    edited July 2012
    yes but if you announce 1), then a few months down the road saved up mystery boxes will sell for quite a bit more then the current 15-20k

so there is a concern when profit is to be had ;)

Then I can tell you that it's safe to wait until tomorrow. I'll have found a firm answer on this subject by then, and you'll have time to react.
    Jeremy Randall
    "Play smart!"
  • saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The rewards are not half bad but for the love of god reduce the drop rates. I understand you guys need to make a few bucks, nothing wrong with that but the drop rates are ridiculous on these lockboxes.
    edited July 2012
    diogene0 wrote: »
    Yes, rewards odds were much better. And all this constant changes about the rules are really disturbing. We can't plan anything about the game.

I'm surprised as the gold boxes gave me squat whereas I picked up three D'Koras, two of them in immediate succession, from green boxes.
    edited July 2012
    Then I can tell you that it's safe to wait until tomorrow. I'll have found a firm answer on this subject by then, and you'll have time to react.

Cheers then
    edited July 2012

Borticus, I can see that PWE has listened to the feedback given by players and made meaningful changes to the lockbox system. My thanks to you and the team.
  • farinat0rfarinat0r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    There goes my hope for a fleet assault cruiser. :(
  • solomacesolomace Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Borticus, I can see that PWE has listened to the feedback given by players and made meaningful changes to the lockbox system. My thanks to you and the team.

Eh? Wasn't the overwhelming feedback a resounding no to lock boxes?

Wasn't the DOFF packs a better deal?

What exactly are you thanking Cryptic and the team for? For not giving you the odds on getting a ship, but allowing you to spend money trying to get one?

Shesh, way to eden man, way to eden...
    Straight from the mouth of one of the leaders of the CDF - "I tell you what, Haven't spent any money either - I'm a lousy freeloader" - Jonsills 17/12/2014
  • jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    More TRIBBLE and less content.

We can see why there is a resource shortage at Cryptic and content dribble out every 6 months.

Give us stuff to do, not these stupid toys.

A new ball without a playground is useless.
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I like the the rewards for this one. Not enough to use real money tho, I'll just use my monthly stipend like I always have.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    farinat0r wrote: »
    There goes my hope for a fleet assault cruiser. :(

I don't think that is ruled out, necessarily.

There is a C-Store Assault Cruiser being added.