test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Where are the new episodes?

chrizlachrizla Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Forgive me if I'm completely off the mark here, as I only started when the game went free-to-play and therefore have no experience of new seasons.

Where are the new episodes? I assumed a new season would be comprised of new episodes, as the name "season" kinda suggests. :\
Post edited by chrizla on

Comments

• eiledoneiledon Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    this season they were concentrating on fleet base mechanics. there is some extra content but so far without any real context.

season 7 has been promised to be story content heavy rather than introducing new mechanics but take that with a pinch of salt. release date for season 7? not Soon(tm)
  • anthonyxmas1anthonyxmas1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    chrizla wrote: »
    Forgive me if I'm completely off the mark here, as I only started when the game went free-to-play and therefore have no experience of new seasons.

Where are the new episodes? I assumed a new season would be comprised of new episodes, as the name "season" kinda suggests. :\

No, a Season in STO is more like an expansion pack or a release of new features. There are not necessarily new missions or episodes, or even Featured Episodes.

In Season 6, besides Fleet Starbases, there are new Tholian missions in Eta Eridani Sector Block, and new PvE queued events in space and ground called No Win Scenario, Colony Invasion, etc. Check the PvE queues in the mini-map.

There were four separate series of Featured Episodes, in which 5 missions each were grouped togehter with a common theme, new theme-related loot and rewards, and lauched one per week.

The Featured Episodes are in your Mission Journal or Combadge in the mini-map.

There is no news of when, or if, there will be more Featured Episodes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    LAUREN RULZ !!!!!!!!
  • hawks3052hawks3052 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Season 6 has mostly Fleet and more C-Store stuff. Season 7 could include more missions, but sice Season 6 started only recently I don't believe Season 7 will hit before christmas.
  • chrizlachrizla Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Okay guys, thanks for clearing that up.

Looks like I gotta wait and wait for new stuff. But I guess it'll give me a chance to do some stuff with my Klingon and science characters.
  • dknight0001dknight0001 Member Posts: 1,542
    edited July 2012
    Perhaps they will release the Feature Episodes once Starbases are ironed out.
    I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001. :confused:
    If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
    When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.
  • happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    hawks3052 wrote: »
    Season 6 has mostly Fleet and more C-Store stuff. Season 7 could include more missions, but sice Season 6 started only recently I don't believe Season 7 will hit before christmas.

Of course seasons are supposed to be about systems and mechanics. Or at least that used to be the case. It's been this way since, what, Season Two? And why? Because trying to disseminate content via seasons failed miserably. We're supposed to get regular small doses of mission content between seasons.

Yet now they're talking about "story content" being the focus of Season Seven, and they're being very vague about what form that "content" might take. It could all be time-gated "events" with a narrative for all we know. This of course also means that if we now have to wait for seasons to get our story content, that we're surely going to see spectacularly less of it (and consider how little we've seen so far and just try not to shudder).

After all, we'll have to wait entire seasons for content. Say Season Seven is about "story content"... that means Season Eight almost certainly won't be. And Seasons have seemed to last, more or less, about five months. So let's say about five months from now they drop content on us. That means it's probably going to be about five dry months after that until Season Eight, which likely won't be about content... then we have to wait five dry months until Season Nine. Ten months without any substantial story content. And what if Season Nine isn't about content either?

Does everyone remember the Drought of 2011? If content gets tied to seasons that could be the norm.
    Perhaps they will release the Feature Episodes once Starbases are ironed out.

FEs apparently take months, and too many resources. The Featured Series we've had before are, from what we've been told, probably dead. Story content will take some other form. What form? Maybe individual episodes. Maybe not. Maybe events. Maybe not. When we ask we get "You'll have to wait and see," and occasionally very vague hypotheticals that make it (seem) very clear that they've maybe had a few brief, vague informal discussions concerning what to do with "content" but likely haven't made any actual concrete decisions and certainly haven't actually done anything.

Hey, maybe that's not the case... but if so Danny and friends have been spectacularly bad at conveying that message. Like, to the point where they'd have to be intentionally trying to sabotage their reputations and annoy us all.
  • matteo716maikaimatteo716maikai Member Posts: 823
    edited July 2012
    at least you dont pvp, i hear those guys get let down and lied to quite often.
  • uxvorastrixuxvorastrix Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Press Release: "Congratulations, the newest season of your favorite series has just been released. In this season we created a website regarding your favorite series, bought new cameras, and hired a couple new writers.... but we didn't actually film any new episodes, for that we hope that you can wait till next year. Thanks for watching"

Imagine if that were put out by any major network... they wouldn't have any viewers left by the time the "next" season came out.

Guess it didn't occur to them that MOST players of the game will not nor do they have any interest in, joining a fleet. Can you say, "oops".
    D&D DM/Player since 1982 - all versions except the despised 4e