test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Massive White Blobs in Mirror Universe Event

Comments

• ryjokelryjokel Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I just took a look at the Klingon Empire Defense missions to see if they are fixed, and...

-The Kahless Expanse, never had this issue for me.

-The Azure Nebula, no longer has the white blobs, seems to be fixed.

-The T'Kanis Nebula, no longer has the white blobs either, fixed.

-The ChoS Nebula, is still affected by the white blob, so is not fixed yet.

Hope this helps :)
  • maltinpolarmaltinpolar Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    ryjokel wrote: »

Klingon Empire Defense missions...

-The Kahless Expanse, never had this issue for me.

-The Azure Nebula, no longer has the white blobs, seems to be fixed.

-The T'Kanis Nebula, no longer has the white blobs either, fixed.

-The ChoS Nebula, is still affected by the white blob, so is not fixed yet.

Same here. Here's a shot of the Chos Nebula taken yesterday.

Thanks, ryjokel. Saved me the typing. :)
  • sharevsharev Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Regulus sector block RA also still has them.
  • nanomorphnanomorph Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Alpha Centauri block RA also still has them.
  • burstdragon323burstdragon323 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    sharev wrote: »
    Regulus sector block RA also still has them.

Can confirm this. It seems to be present on all of the Borg Incursion maps still.
  • xtendacomxtendacom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    yep i never saw this thread i had another thread about it, Please fix everyone is asking to have whatever this is removed yet its not removed. I have not been to one borg alert that does not have it.

Graphic settings are right down and bloom is off - it makes no difference.

Cheers
  • winchester30winchester30 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I can only hope the "white blobs of doom" will be fixed. For the longest time I thought those blobs were intended to be in the game and it wasn't until later when I started reading the forums that I learned this is a wide spread issue.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited September 2012
    I've fixed a few more, and am waiting on a compiled list from QA to address more.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • genericiigenericii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    tacofangs wrote: »
    I've fixed a few more, and am waiting on a compiled list from QA to address more.

I hope they're faster than the art team with the android variants! :eek:
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Thanks, Tumorboy/tacofangs. Nice to know you guys are still working on it. :)
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
    edited September 2012
    Np, I just don't want to do this piecemeal as I have so far. Obviously there are a good number of maps affected. I don't mind loading those maps, and fixing the problem, but I don't want to have to load every space map just to see if there's an issue. You guys have done a great job listing maps, but the names you guys use often have little in common with the map's actual file name, so it's hard for me to reconcile those together. Zero and some of our QA guys are helping me sort out which map name you guys use is which map name in game, so I can just burn through the list.
  • retunred4goodretunred4good Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Np, I just don't want to do this piecemeal as I have so far. Obviously there are a good number of maps affected. I don't mind loading those maps, and fixing the problem, but I don't want to have to load every space map just to see if there's an issue. You guys have done a great job listing maps, but the names you guys use often have little in common with the map's actual file name, so it's hard for me to reconcile those together. Zero and some of our QA guys are helping me sort out which map name you guys use is which map name in game, so I can just burn through the list.

I'm happy as a clam that these fixes are coming and not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but where did they even come from?
    -It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.-- Mark Twain.
    edited September 2012
    I think I've mentioned this somewhere before? Anyway, these nebulae cloud bits are drawn on a curve we make in game. We tell it how often to put down a card (a quad with the cloud texture on it). This was fairly sparse until a code change that we inherited made them draw hundreds of times in the space that used to exist between each card. The code can't be reverted as it had other, beneficial effects, we just have to turn off a setting on each curve that was affected. It's just finding those, and getting to them that is problematic.
  • yulianhuayulianhua Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    You guys have done a great job listing maps, but the names you guys use often have little in common with the map's actual file name, so it's hard for me to reconcile those together.

In the interest of helping you get the "behind-the-scenes" map (file) names, I wanted to let people hunting down these maps know that they can use the following command to get the proper map name:

/ShowCamPos 1

This will show the current camera position and rotation, along with the current map's name which people can post here to expedite things and make it easier on our poor beloved Taco Head. :)

PS: (Changing the 1 to 0 will turn it off.)
  • ozewaozewa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The Klingon Scout Force has those overly bloomy effects in em as well.
    President of the Amnian Illithid Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC). Please spread the word that the term "Mind Flayer" is a derogatory term to our kind.
  • moronwmachinegunmoronwmachinegun Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Pi Canis Borg Red Alert has the white blobs.
  • renew1981renew1981 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I too encountered this problem , some people that do not have this problem
    say lower your bloom but this isnt the cause turning bloom off and lowering
    setting to a minimum as no effect.

I also believe this has nothing to do with asteroids since i have had multible times
    my screen filled with those and no performance loss at all ,

hower looking into or god forbid flying close to thesxe white blobs instantly drops
    fps from 60 to 30 or lower with latency goign through the roof , looking away / creating
    more distance from the white object restores everything back to normal with silky
    smooth flying and no fps drops.
  • rifter1969rifter1969 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    yulianhua wrote: »
    In the interest of helping you get the "behind-the-scenes" map (file) names, I wanted to let people hunting down these maps know that they can use the following command to get the proper map name:

/ShowCamPos 1

This will show the current camera position and rotation, along with the current map's name which people can post here to expedite things and make it easier on our poor beloved Taco Head. :)

PS: (Changing the 1 to 0 will turn it off.)

This is a really good tip... thanks for posting :D

I recently saw another "white blob" in an Alpha Centauri Red Alert map on Saturday.

though it didn't slow my machine down this time.

I will keep an eye out and use this command to get the names.
  • moronwmachinegunmoronwmachinegun Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Pi Canis borg encounter - Map name is deepspace_Kfr_Brg_Fs0d
  • behelusbehelus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    these white blobs can also be found in the daily mission with the borg encounters where you need to destroy 4 borg fleets and a giant borg ship.

it might be called :
    cellas sector borg encounter. (sector name might be wrong).

nice to read that they are fixing this bug. it litterally destroys the frame rate.
  • dma1986dma1986 Member Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Another one for ya, Turnerboy.

Alpha Centauri, Borg Red Alert.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/DaveAshton1986/AlphaCentauriblob.jpg
  • chuckwolfchuckwolf Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Hmm... I've seen these blobs too in various places, and yes they're annoying. However tacofangs (tumerboy) I think you're going at it all wrong as far as trying to fix them one or a few at a time. From what I can tell it's a supposed to be an object in space that is placed there randomly. Since it can be flown through I would assume it was intended to be something akin to a cloud of space dust, vapor etc. Something that would be visible but just barely, semi transparent, not glowing as bright as a supernova. So wouldn't a better fix be to simply change the swap that graphic for a new one with the same filename? Or am i missing a much bigger issue?
    @Powerblast in game
    edited November 2012
    These are supposed to be nebulae. They should be fairly subtle. We use a procedural placement method for them. Basically, we give this thing an image, and it draws it some number of times. At some point, something changed in the code, and it caused them to all draw 1000's more of these texture cards than they're supposed to. The fix is relatively simple, but it requires that I manually interact with each nebula on each map, one at a time. I've done the ones I was able to find. You all have told us some other maps that these exist on, but what you call the map, and what the map's file name is, are often totally different. As such, I need help reconciling the two.
    Unfortunately, we've been swamped with S7 work for a while now, and this has fallen by the wayside (many have already been fixed, but I know there are still others yet to address). Hopefully once we get S7 out the door I can take a little time to get back to these.

Sorry about that.
  • captexpendablecaptexpendable Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Taco: Related to this (and S7-applicable), the same issue seems to be happening on New Romulus. The fenced-off areas around the Ruins contain a glow like a dozen suns, washing out whatever was supposed to be inside. Not quite as graphics-card killing as the MU instances thankfully, but immediately recognizable as a similar issue.
    edited November 2012
    Different beast, and I've seen that one too, I thought SWall fixed it, but I'll look into it again on Monday.
  • sirsrisirsri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    , but it requires that I manually interact with each nebula on each map, one at a time. I've done the ones I was able to find.

This means you need more, or better tools (and by extension tools programmers etc.).
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Thanks for the updates. :)
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • pulserazorpulserazor Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The worst part of this thing is the headache it gives me, the pain splits my head and leaves a feeling a lot like a migraine for some time after I see it, It had been a half hour since I last saw it, and my head still hurts, I think i may have actually sustained an injury. Thanks a lot.

Given the amount of people who have brought this issue up and included screenshots in this thread alone we have a serious issue that not only is a detriment to the quality of our game play but potentially damaging to our hardware, and even to our health.

The fact that this issue has been present for so long without being addressed is disgusting.
    edited December 2012
    screenshot_2012-12-15-13-15-19_zpscd3da645.jpg
    These are supposed to be nebulae. They should be fairly subtle. We use a procedural placement method for them. Basically, we give this thing an image, and it draws it some number of times. At some point, something changed in the code, and it caused them to all draw 1000's more of these texture cards than they're supposed to. The fix is relatively simple, but it requires that I manually interact with each nebula on each map, one at a time. I've done the ones I was able to find. You all have told us some other maps that these exist on, but what you call the map, and what the map's file name is, are often totally different. As such, I need help reconciling the two.
    Unfortunately, we've been swamped with S7 work for a while now, and this has fallen by the wayside (many have already been fixed, but I know there are still others yet to address). Hopefully once we get S7 out the door I can take a little time to get back to these.

Sorry about that.

I should think that something that could potentially damage computer hardware, monitors, and your customer's eyes, and triggers migraine headaches should not "fall by the wayside" - It causes physical duress, and should be an considered an absolute priority.
    edited January 2013
    Every day I play this game, and every day I see that you havn't fixed this issue. By your own admission, You know what the problem is, you know how to fix it, yet you do not. Is there not enough $$ in it for you, not worth your time to fix?

I would love to hear an updated excuse as to why this hasn't been fixed yet.