test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Auto-Closing UI Windows?

zordar01zordar01 Member Posts: 318
I've recently returned from a months-long hiatus to find that opening my character screen now auto-closes any interaction window I have open. Bank, Boff trainer, ship selection window, various vendors, etc.

So, what's the deal with that? Is this a bug or intentional? Either way, might I suggest this be restored to the way it was before? The UI has enough problems without the added feeling of Romulan agents trying to thwart our every use of the interface.

Z
Star Trek: Online - Now with 100% more dinosaurs!!
Post edited by zordar01 on

Comments

• beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yeah, it's annoying -- you have to open your user screen, doff screen, or inventory first, then open the bank/exchange/mail.
    When did this auto-closing start? Were there any "official" comments that it was intentional? If so, what reason was given? Yeah, it can be worked around but auto-closing-when-character/ship-window-opens is pointless as it was never a problem. You could even walk away from the source of the window with the window open and it would auto-close when you got far enough away. Were people complaining of the exchange or bank windows staying open when they bring up their character/ship window? Were people bogging down the server with stacks of open vendor and ship selection windows?

This seems like a mind-numbingly stupid thing to add to the game - a feature that makes using various in-game services a hassle. Basically, I'm looking for some kind of logic behind it. I seriously doubt I'll find any but I'm looking all the same.

I'm beginning to remember why I took the first seven months of the year off from STO...:mad:

Z
    Star Trek: Online - Now with 100% more dinosaurs!!
  • eiledoneiledon Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I think it may have been around the time they put in the fix that you meant you couldnt just stand next to the ship selection officer and just open your character screen to move items around between ships. I might be wrong here but for me it was after that, that I started noticing the autoclose.

I am sure it was an unintentional effect of a UI change. Perhaps once Season 6 work is live, we can get a UI dev looking into it.
  • kwiat007kwiat007 Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    That's so annoying! :mad: My birthday wish for this year will be a fix for this issue.
    [SIGPIC]Join Date: August 2009[/SIGPIC]
    I live in an alternate universe, where j.j. abrams and cryptic never existed,
    where R.S.E. is what it always should be.
  • boolyboolyboolybooly Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I agree this is another unnecessarily obstructive dysergonomic impediment in the UI. The work around is to open the character screen plus inventory first then all these other interfaces will open without closing it and allow you to do all the transferring you want.

Its just a pain remembering to press U before you do anything else ...

Coming to this recently due to the Free To Play option (but I have spent real money on it btw) it just feels like you are playing a game which isnt properly finished and bug fixed, after how long ...? I would guess its the way the engine is set up which makes it awkward to program but even so that needs to be overcome not passed on to the player.

Subjectively, its only the fact that it is "StarTrek" (with Leonard Nimoy) that makes it worth making the considerable effort it takes to learn how to use the interfaces but even then it is purgatory which makes it that much easier for the bubble to burst. Did someone say STO has retention issues? Well IMHO the UI would be the place to start changing that.