test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic, a journey from Korea to China.

lordxenitelordxenite Member Posts: 50 Arc User
edited August 2012 in Ten Forward
I kind of find it ironic that Cryptic started out with NCSoft (Korea) and eventually ended up (for now) with PWE (China). What do you guys think? ;)
Post edited by lordxenite on

Comments

• darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I think someone's favorite movie is Clockwork Orange.
    I think that someone somewhere loved the Spice Girls, for their music. ;)
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • lordxenitelordxenite Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention that little pit-stop in France with ATARI who actually are Infograms. :biggrin: Indeed, Cryptic is truly a globetrotter!
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    since when ws Cryptic with NCSoft? if your referring to City of Heros..... NCSoft only bought the CoH Team that split off to form Paragon Studios, I dont think they ever owned Cryptic as a whole....
  • sabrevt1100sabrevt1100 Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I think someone's favorite movie is Clockwork Orange.
    I think that someone somewhere loved the Spice Girls, for their music. ;)

Hey... I like A Clockwork Orange....
    :biggrin:
    "Bite Me! It's Fun." - Crow T. Robot
  • eiledoneiledon Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    this irony word you speak of. i do not think it means what you think it means.
  • sovereignmansovereignman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    throw in japan and you'll have a very awkward dinner party.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
    edited June 2012
    throw in japan and you'll have a very awkward dinner party.

... with tentacles...
    edited June 2012
    now that's a lifetime subscription perk.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
  • nikoagonistesnikoagonistes Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    lordxenite wrote: »
    ... and eventually ended up (for now) with PWE (China). What do you guys think? :wink:
    Great.

That means that ever time I've bought Cryptic Points, I've been giving aid and support to a murderous, totalitarian government. :mad:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    Great.

That means that ever time I've bought Cryptic Points, I've been giving aid and support to a murderous, totalitarian government. :mad:

How do you feel when you pay taxes?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Great.

I don't stress much over that. I already did it when I assembled my computer. :tongue:
    How do you feel when you pay taxes?
    The Chinese Communist Party regime is far worse than the United States government, even under the States' current presidency.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    Don't believe everything the Federation tells you :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    Don't believe everything the Federation tells you :)

And don't believe everything the Terran Empire tells you not to believe about the Federation. :wink:
    edited June 2012
    Um, sorry, but your attempt to claim the Chinese Communist Party as morally equivalent to the US government fails.

To list two examples I know about:
    In China, dissidents are beaten, imprisoned and/or persecuted for their views. In the US, people can - and have - made the most outrageous statements about the government and its leaders and still remain citizens in good legal standing.
    The Chinese government enforces a one-child policy among China's families (with perhaps a few exceptions) and utilizes means such as forced abortions and sterilizations to achieve those ends. In the US, however, you can have as many children as you want.

Do I need to continue?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    Yes. Yes you do.

Talk about non-talking points scenarios when it comes to freedoms. How'd Waco turn out?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    Yep, one single incident by one government is equivalent to the same type of act - or worse, done routinely by the other. :rolleyes:

Notice you are perfectly free to critize the US federal government's handling of Waco. Notice how many 9/11 truthers, Obama birthers, Osama deathers, and such people have not been beaten, jailed, or otherwise persecuted by the US government.

Now, go to China and try to offer similiar criticisms of its government and see what happens. (Again, you should note the fact that you can talk about the Waco incident all you want in the States - whereas in China, talking about Tiananmen Square is illegal.)

I could also mention the state's treatment of religion - in the US, churches and other religious organizations are free to run themselves as they see fit (while the Obama administration wants to change this, that's still up in the air), while in China if you want to belong to a religion, you have to join one of the state-controlled organizations. Don't believe me? Just ask the Dalai Lama, the Pope, any members of the illegal house churches, or the Falun Gong.

While the US government may not be perfect, the PRC is worse in the matters of human rights, and so I am not a hypocrite for opposing the latter while not rebelling against the former.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • suricattasuricatta Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Great.

Don't quite get this, the money went to a company run by normal people, you can't fault the polulation of a country by the actions of thier government. Sure, the Chinese government may do TRIBBLE things, but it doesn't mean i should give the people that live there carap and not buy thier products, just like I dislike stuff the US government has done, doesn't mean I don't buy from American companies or give TRIBBLE to Americans, it's generally not thier fault afterall ;-)

God knows why I'm getting pulled into a political debate, but since there is no way to report threads anymore and these threads seem to be getting the norm since the New forums... :-P
    edited June 2012
    Neither one are worth defending. The KDF is just blatant with the curb stomping of anything against their policies (like Tibet/religious folk). Where as the Federation has cloak and dagger down to a fine art.

Tea partiers, and occupy movementers were all but useful in the end. They got public support, got some politicians behind it, and then the complete opposite to what they were hoping happened.

The Federation is light years ahead of the Klingons in human rights, but that doesn't make up for their current dismantling of the constitution domestically. By the way, how full are the prisons right now? Piled high, and they're not just full of low income peon drug dealers. The worst offense of all is their foreign policy, which is as foul as its ever been. Blowback through and through.

The KDF is all that you've said above and then some, but at least the only thing they're doing right is that they're doing the trading and commerce around the globe that The Federation should have been doing.

You can attribute this to the western imperialism lessons that they've learned for a while now. They're ruthless because its what they've lived through.

Both get +1 and then -1. But once again I must reiterate. Neither the Federation or the Klingon "governments" are friends to anyone.

Make your money, and keep quiet.

And I'm sure you've "read between the lines" that I've barely done with find and replace :P

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    But aren't those dollars taxed, meaning some of my money goes to the PRC's regime? :confused:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    Yes they are. Much like how I began our tirade with where does the money I pay to the Federation go to? Oh right, drone attacks in the Neutral zone.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    So ... you're saying I should either stop being a law-abiding US citizen, or sell my soul and support China?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    Yes nikoagonistes. That is exactly what I'm saying.

Look, it's not you, it's me. But I don't think this is going to work out.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I can;t believe I;m actually stepping into a political discussion. You folks don;t realize this but I stay away form these like the plague. First time in like years.
    In China, dissidents are beaten, imprisoned and/or persecuted for their views. In the US, people can - and have - made the most outrageous statements about the government and its leaders and still remain citizens in good legal standing.

Go lookup the civil right movement and see how many times Dr. King was beaten and arrested. Heck, go lookup how many times that happened to Rosa Parks. And why did that happen? Because they weren't on good legal standing to use your own words.
    The Chinese government enforces a one-child policy among China's families (with perhaps a few exceptions) and utilizes means such as forced abortions and sterilizations to achieve those ends. In the US, however, you can have as many children as you want.

No, they actually do that at the state level:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenics_Board_of_North_Carolina

I;m on battery so I won;t list them by state but most of the states have had (and I bet a couple still do) have those policies.
    edited June 2012
    Acutally, I think all the eugenics policies in the US have been repealed.

And it looks like I'm the only one who doesn't think the current US government is morally equivalent to the Chinese Communist Party... :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2012
    Look at this! :eek::cool:
  • flywizflywiz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012

And it looks like I'm the only one who doesn't think the current US government is morally equivalent to the Chinese Communist Party... :rolleyes:

Morally, we are. Just, in a different way. They aren't very nice to their own people, and we're not very nice to every other countries people.

This is going way, waaaay back, about 65 or 70 years, but, I don't think it was very moral to bomb Nagasaki or Hiroshima.

Every nation has the moral principles of Q. (If that makes any sense.) The vast majority of nations in the world have been at war, which, is to begin with, completely immoral. That's why I believe America is morally equivalent to the Chinese. But, so is England, France, Germany, Turkey, The Balkan nations. We just did harm to a different group of people.

As a well know certain someone said, "Now we are all sons of bleepers."
  • kimmerakimmera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012

Apparently the NC laws weren't repealed until 2003, though. The current US government isn't morally equivalent to the Chinese Communist Party, but the US doesn't have China's population density either. That isn't excusing China, just explaining that they have a tougher situation in some ways.

The US very recently felt the need to torture suspects, and although there has been a lot of backpedaling, there was a sizable portion of the population that seemed to be backing such activity just after 911. And there are still prisoners in Guantanamo.

It is fair game to criticize China or any given country on their policies, but it is important to keep it constructive and be careful regarding outright condemning. And it is likewise important to keep one's own house in order rather than simply accept it unquestioningly out of blind patriotism or fear, and to avoid hypocrisy. Don't just claim to be better. Be better.
    edited August 2012
    I know it's a lot to ask, but can we please keep this about Cryptic and not world politics? :confused:
    edited August 2012
    flywiz wrote: »
    Morally, we are. Just, in a different way.
    Um, no. Just because someone has a reason for doing something doesn't necessarily make what they're doing morally right.

The North Carolina eugenics program (which pretty much ended in the 70s - the 2003 repeal was just a formality) applied to only a small group of people, and is no longer in use. The Chinese one-child policy, on the other hand, applies to the entire populace. Not to mention it is still in force.

I could go on, but try telling Chen Guangcheng that the People's Republic of China and the USA are, in terms of internal governance, on the same moral level. I dare you.

lordxenite wrote: »
    I know it's a lot to ask, but can we please keep this about Cryptic and not world politics? :confused:
    Well, maybe Perfect World shouldn't have been located in such a controversial nation. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]