test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

In depth mission reports upon request

Comments

• evil70thevil70th Member Posts: 1,017 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    grylak wrote: »
    Hmmm. Interesting comments on the Continue button. I had wondered about replacing my continue with something, but wasnt sure what. I guess making them blank buttons would not be a good move?

I'll have to fix those on my mission on your list, there are quite a few continue in it. I viewed it as continue the conversation, not as the player saying continue.

As indicated in the other posts you cannot leave the button blank as it defaults to "Continue". I do not note the use as an issue unless it is obvious there should be something there like the example I used in the posting. It is okay to use it if there is follow on dialogue that would not really require the player to respond but since it is the default I generally prefer the author use "..." or something other than "Continue". :smile:

Brian
    edited June 2012
    dalolorn wrote: »
    Meh, was just pointing out small errors. :cool:

By the way, nice guide. :smile:

Thanks. I noted the error when I was correcting the quotation mark error. The forum seems to not recognize them when coming from MS Word. It turns them into question marks. Perhaps it just the font I am using. Oh, by the way, I was incorrect about the total number of characters being limited to 11000 as in the old forums. The guide is 15000+ characters, unless when you make career poster it lifts your limit. :wink:

Glad you liked the guide. Your mission is 3rd in the queue at the moment. I'm going to try to get into the queue this evening and see if I can make a dent. :smile:

Brian
    edited June 2012
    bazag wrote: »
    You can't have a blank button - If you try it just automatically reverts back to 'Continue'

Very true, I usually recommend the "..." or something other than "Continue". If it is not overly used I tend to ignore it. I have tried to refine the pet peeve nature of its use to be more tailored towards the use when responding to direct conversation dialogue or reports coming from a BOFF. Otherwise I'm trying to ignore it more often than not. :wink:

Brian
    edited June 2012
    Personally, I think it is OK to have "Continue" as a button, when the text really continues (e.g. 3 pages of dialog, on page 1 & 2 it says "Continue"). Whenever another character speaks or a dialog is finished, there could/should be something to acknowledge that there's a change in the dialog. Sometimes a simple "Understood" is enough, if you ask me.

And you should be aware that this coin has two sides. Many Foundry authors tend to overuse the button text and put A LOT of dialog or sentences in there - that pretty much destroys text flow and is often confusing. I would dare to say that most people only superficially read those buttons and don't want to have answers put into the mouths of their captains.

As with many things, you should try to hit the right balance. And be consistent in the way you use buttons. :)

I agree. In my reports if I point it out at all it is because the author is using it as a response to a BOFF report or dialogue that appears to be directed at the player to respond to it. Otherwise I note that it was appropriately used as in the way you described above. :smile:

Brian
    edited June 2012
    grylak wrote: »
    Even if I just put in a space bar press?

I think that works too. I have tried to narrow the pet peeve to something more specific in the use of "Continue". As I indicated above it is more towards the use in response to BOFF reports and dialogue that reads as if the player should've answered. In the end it is up to you how you use the button. :biggrin:

Brian
    edited June 2012
    ajstoner wrote: »
    Yes, there has to be something in there and spaces only will be removed. I typically use "..." if the captain isn't adding anything at that point.

A space is looked at by the program the same as leaving it blank and it should default back to "Continue". I had a feeling out of all my recommendations in the guide this one would stir up more discussion. :wink:

Brian
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I try to avoid using continue constantly, and instead use something appropriate. although I have on at least one occasion used an emoticon. >_<' is the one I used.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited June 2012
    I try to avoid using continue constantly, and instead use something appropriate. although I have on at least one occasion used an emoticon. >_<' is the one I used.

That works just as well too. Thanks for adding that in markhawkman...:wink:
    edited June 2012
    The guide has now been posted on Starbase UGC as well.

Brian
    edited June 2012
    Zorbane wrote: »
    Hi Evil70th,

I see you've got a long line of missions looking for your services and I'm adding mine to it! It's my first one so all feedback will be appreciated.

Mission Name: The Great Escape
    Author: @Zorbane
    Minimum Level: Any level
    Allegiance: Federation
    Project ID: ST-HN57YTB7C
    Estimated Mission Length: 30 minutes
    Method of Report Delivery: Forum post please in the mission thread: http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=273379

Thanks

Federation Mission - The Great Escape
    Author: Zorbane

Report Start

Summary: This is a great mission with excellent maps, several tough battles and outstanding story dialogue. The variety of the response buttons you used throughout the mission where very well done. I would highly recommend this mission to all players, just not on Elite. :smile:

Below are a couple of things I noted while playing the mission that I wanted to let you know about. Everything in this write up should be seen as suggestions on ways I felt you could improve certain elements of the mission. They are yours to do with as you see fit.

Mission Description: This is a good description. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this description.

Grant Mission Dialogue: This is an intriguing grant dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue.

Mission Task: This is a good initial task with a clear location of the first custom map. I noted no spelling errors with this task.

Mission Entry Prompt: This is a good use of the prompt. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this prompt.

MAPS:
    Outside the Sherman System: This is a great map design with very well written dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map. I noted one item to consider changing:
    -The "Captain of the Duthia" dialogue; consider changing "I got the famous [Rank] [NickName] to scan" to read "I got the famous [Rank] [LastName] to scan".

Koval - Deck 2: This is a great map design with excellent dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map. I noted one item to consider changing:
    -Consider using objects to trigger optional dialogue. This gives you the ability to have optional dialogue that goes away after it's been accessed by the player.

The Sewers: This is a great map design with some nice battles and well written story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

Factory: This is a great map design with some tough battles and good story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue. I noted a couple of items to consider changing:
    -The console near the munitions store room is away from the bulkhead. Consider using small hidden objects in the consoles that are built into the map. This will allow you use consoles that are part of the map to trigger interactions.
    -Consider using objects to trigger optional dialogue. This gives you the ability to have optional dialogue that goes away after it's been accessed by the player.

B'Rel - Deck 2: This is a great map design with tough battles and excellent story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

B'Rel - Bridge: This is an excellent map design with a very tough battle and well written story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

Otha System: This is a great map design with very tough battles and excellent story dialogue. It is a great wrap up for this mission. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

End Report

Thanks again for authoring and for giving me the chance to review your work. You did a great job developing this mission. I look forward to reviewing more of your work in the future.
    Brian
    edited June 2012
    Q400 wrote:
    This will be your ninth I guess......

Hunter Killer: Part 2/5
    Faction: Federation, with Klingon version coming soon
    ID: ST-HAQ4B5K6L
    Level Requirment: Any
    Estimated Length: 10-15minutes

Description: The Caitian Artox Carrier; bound for the Donatu System, never arrived. The Remaining Starfleet forces are spread thin. The Klingon base is still in the Empires hands - save them, save yourselves.

This will be my last mission that I will have you review for a while. I am working on a mission that will be out by August or September; I realize that it is a mistake to walk away from a series before you are finished making it.

Federation Mission - Hunter Killer: Part 2/5
    Author: q403 formerly known as Q400
    Project ID: ST-HAQ4B5K6L

Report Start

Summary: This is a good albeit short combat oriented mission. The map designs are good with tough but fun combat throughout. The story dialogue is well written. I would definitely recommend this mission to all players who like a mainly combat oriented mission with some dialogue in to drive the mission forward.

Below are a couple of things I noted while playing the mission that I wanted to let you know about. Everything in this write up should be seen as suggestions on ways I felt you could improve certain elements of the mission. They are yours to do with as you see fit.

Mission Description: This is a good, if not short, description. If possible add a little background story to it. Your goal is to draw the player in and make them want to click the "Hail" button. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this description.

Grant Mission Dialogue: This is an intriguing dialogue but perhaps too short. Consider adding a little more story to draw the player in and get them to click the "Accept" button. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue.

Mission Task: This is a good initial task with a clear location for the start of the first custom map. I noted no spelling errors with this task.

Mission Entry Prompt: This is a good use of the prompt. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this prompt.

MAPS:
    System XR-337: This is a good map with a balanced battle. The story dialogue was well written. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue. I noted one item to consider changing:
    -Is the lack of stars intentional? I saw dialogue to support the reason for this.

Klingon Base Interior: This is a good map design with several tough, but fun battles. The story dialogue is well written. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue. I noted a couple of items to consider changing:
    -Consider using objects to trigger optional dialogue vice NPC's. This gives you the ability to have optional dialogue that goes away after it's been accessed by the player.
    -The first "Gather Information" console is slightly off by a few degrees and is not centered in between the two pillars of the passageway. Consider aligning the console with the passageway.
    -Consider using smaller objects hidden in the consoles to trigger the "Gather Information" task. This is especially true of the large console in one central room.
    -Consider breaking the "Gather Information" tasks up into individual interactions with some story dialogue following each one.

End Report

Thanks again for authoring and for giving me the chance to review your work. You did a great job developing this combat oriented mission with some skip dialogue options thrown in for good measure.
    Brian
    edited June 2012
    The next two missions in the queue are Exploratory Crisis, by dalolorn. This mission is followed by The Jeroan Farmer Escapade, by Grylak. I hope to get to at least one of these two tomorrow. Thanks for your patience. :smile:

Thanks for authoring,
    Brian
  • chicochavezchicochavez Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I've got my first ever mission up and would love your opinion:

Mission Name: Star Trek: Allegiance
    Author: chicochavez
    Minimum Level: 31+
    Project ID: ST-HTZQSHUM2
    Estimated Mission Length: 30+ min
    Method of Report Delivery: Forum Post
    Play Star Trek: Allegiance - my first series in the Foundry
    edited June 2012
    I've got my first ever mission up and would love your opinion:

Mission Name: Star Trek: Allegiance
    Author: chicochavez
    Minimum Level: 31+
    Project ID: ST-HTZQSHUM2
    Estimated Mission Length: 30+ min
    Method of Report Delivery: Forum Post

Hi chicochavez,

Thanks for the review request and congratulations on your first mission. :wink: You are currently 9th in the queue behind backyardserenade. I am working on the queue as fast as I can get through it with my real world job and school in between. I will get to yours as soon as I can and post the results here in the forum.

Thanks for authoring,
    Brian
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    evil70th wrote: »
    The next two missions in the queue are Exploratory Crisis, by dalolorn. This mission is followed by The Jeroan Farmer Escapade, by Grylak. I hope to get to at least one of these two tomorrow. Thanks for your patience. :smile:

Thanks for authoring,
    Brian

I'm two missions? :confused:

I'd have expected something more like this: "The next two missions in the queue are Chit by Chat, and Chat by Chit", it'd make more sense. :biggrin:

Or, to follow your own format more closely:
    The next two missions in the queue are Aaaargh, can't find SkyBlue unless I manually type it in, by SameThingWithLime, followed by Some blank text? :D, by WowIFoundLime. I hope to get to at least one of these two tomorrow. Thank you for your patience. :smile:

Thanks for authoring,
    Brian

Edit: But if it makes sense for you, I guess I can figure it out :)

Re-edit: Oops, forgot the . in the last sentence.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • backyardserenadebackyardserenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    ^ I don't know, that was kinda unnecessary. A little mistake by evil, blown totally out of proportion. And it took me forever to get what you were actually talking about. :wink:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes you have to do things that you hate, so you can survive to fight another day."
    edited June 2012
    Meh, got a tendency to nitpick about this stuff... :redface:

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • q403q403 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Federation Mission - Hunter Killer: Part 2/5
    Author: q403 formerly known as Q400
    Project ID: ST-HAQ4B5K6L

Report Start

Summary: This is a good albeit short combat oriented mission. The map designs are good with tough but fun combat throughout. The story dialogue is well written. I would definitely recommend this mission to all players who like a mainly combat oriented mission with some dialogue in to drive the mission forward.

Mission Description: This is a good, if not short, description. If possible add a little background story to it. Your goal is to draw the player in and make them want to click the "Hail" button. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this description.

Grant Mission Dialogue: This is an intriguing dialogue but perhaps too short. Consider adding a little more story to draw the player in and get them to click the "Accept" button. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue.

Mission Task: This is a good initial task with a clear location for the start of the first custom map. I noted no spelling errors with this task.

MAPS:
    System XR-337: This is a good map with a balanced battle. The story dialogue was well written. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue. I noted one item to consider changing:
    -Is the lack of stars intentional? I saw dialogue to support the reason for this.

Klingon Base Interior: This is a good map design with several tough, but fun battles. The story dialogue is well written. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue. I noted a couple of items to consider changing:
    -Consider using objects to trigger optional dialogue vice NPC's. This gives you the ability to have optional dialogue that goes away after it's been accessed by the player.
    -The first "Gather Information" console is slightly off by a few degrees and is not centered in between the two pillars of the passageway. Consider aligning the console with the passageway.
    -Consider using smaller objects hidden in the consoles to trigger the "Gather Information" task. This is especially true of the large console in one central room.
    -Consider breaking the "Gather Information" tasks up into individual interactions with some story dialogue following each one.

End Report

Thanks again for authoring and for giving me the chance to review your work. You did a great job developing this combat oriented mission with some skip dialogue options thrown in for good measure.
    Brian

Thanks, the lack of stars were intentional. I have been trying to do the optional dialouge triggers. The 'triggers' button no longer shows up on the invisible objects. The tutorials are helpful; I dont know if there is any other way of doing this.

Many Thanks,
    Q400
    " Nature Decays, but latinum lasts forever."
    Original Handle: @Q400
  • q403q403 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Also, please do not review The Omega Theorm.
    " Nature Decays, but latinum lasts forever."
    Original Handle: @Q400
  • zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Federation Mission - The Great Escape
    Author: Zorbane

Report Start

Summary: This is a great mission with excellent maps, several tough battles and outstanding story dialogue. The variety of the response buttons you used throughout the mission where very well done. I would highly recommend this mission to all players, just not on Elite. :smile:

Mission Description: This is a good description. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this description.

Grant Mission Dialogue: This is an intriguing grant dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue.

Mission Task: This is a good initial task with a clear location of the first custom map. I noted no spelling errors with this task.

MAPS:
    Outside the Sherman System: This is a great map design with very well written dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map. I noted one item to consider changing:
    -The "Captain of the Duthia" dialogue; consider changing "I got the famous [Rank] [NickName] to scan" to read "I got the famous [Rank] [LastName] to scan".

Koval - Deck 2: This is a great map design with excellent dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map. I noted one item to consider changing:

The Sewers: This is a great map design with some nice battles and well written story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

Factory: This is a great map design with some tough battles and good story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue. I noted a couple of items to consider changing:
    -The console near the munitions store room is away from the bulkhead. Consider using small hidden objects in the consoles that are built into the map. This will allow you use consoles that are part of the map to trigger interactions.

B'Rel - Deck 2: This is a great map design with tough battles and excellent story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

B'Rel - Bridge: This is an excellent map design with a very tough battle and well written story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

Otha System: This is a great map design with very tough battles and excellent story dialogue. It is a great wrap up for this mission. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map.

End Report

Thanks again for authoring and for giving me the chance to review your work. You did a great job developing this mission. I look forward to reviewing more of your work in the future.
    Brian

Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it.

I'll start thinking about optional dialogue especially on the Koval

I have a question regarding the suggestion about using [NickName] vs [LastName].

I had used NickName because I wanted to make sure the player's "Display Name" for a lack of a better term was the one being used. For example if the player was human, the dialogue should be "Captain Picard" (Jean-Luc Picard) while if the player was Bajoran the dialogue would be "Colonel Kira" (Kira Nerys).

That was my reasoning for it anyways.

What showed up for you?
    StarbaseUGC Discord Chat
    Foundry Mission Database
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - Commander Rihan
    edited June 2012
    I'm two missions? :confused:

I'd have expected something more like this: "The next two missions in the queue are Chit by Chat, and Chat by Chit", it'd make more sense. :biggrin:

Or, to follow your own format more closely:

Edit: But if it makes sense for you, I guess I can figure it out :)

Re-edit: Oops, forgot the . in the last sentence.

My review service is free and if folks cannot figure out what I mean in any of my posts then they need to ask. Otherwise, I'm going to count it as not my problem. :biggrin:

Yes you are next in the queue. Sorry if that is not clear from the post... :wink:
    edited June 2012
    ^ I don't know, that was kinda unnecessary. A little mistake by evil, blown totally out of proportion. And it took me forever to get what you were actually talking about. :wink:

Thanks for the defense. It is appreciated... :smile:
    edited June 2012
    Meh, got a tendency to nitpick about this stuff... :redface:

Come on. You are totally under selling yourself. You're nitpicky about lot's of stuff... Hopefully you apply the same nitpickiness to your mission. :biggrin: I've been pretty lucky so far with the last few missions. The spelling and grammar have all been spot on. The missions weren't bad either. :smile:

Up next in the queue... Exploratory Crisis, by dalolorn.

Thanks for authoring,
    Brian
    edited June 2012
    q403 wrote: »
    Thanks, the lack of stars were intentional. I have been trying to do the optional dialouge triggers. The 'triggers' button no longer shows up on the invisible objects. The tutorials are helpful; I dont know if there is any other way of doing this.

Many Thanks,
    Q400

As always I'm glad I could help. Your mission was a lot of fun.

As for the triggers I've found having a small object, like a martini glass, or I use a bottle and place in the console to trigger the interaction. You can adjust the radius of the area of affect as well. It took me a little tweaking here and there to get it right. Just play with them over time. It isn't something that needs to change immediately as it works now I was just thinking it would be a nicer style to change to. :wink:

Thanks for authoring,
    Brian
    edited June 2012
    q403 wrote: »
    Also, please do not review The Omega Theorm.

Thanks for the new review request. This is a Federation mission correct? Your mission is currently 10th in the queue for review behind chicochavez. :smile:

Thanks for authoring,
    Brian
    edited June 2012
    zorbane wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it.

I'll start thinking about optional dialogue especially on the Koval

I have a question regarding the suggestion about using [NickName] vs [LastName].

I had used NickName because I wanted to make sure the player's "Display Name" for a lack of a better term was the one being used. For example if the player was human, the dialogue should be "Captain Picard" (Jean-Luc Picard) while if the player was Bajoran the dialogue would be "Colonel Kira" (Kira Nerys).

That was my reasoning for it anyways.

What showed up for you?

My [NickName], which is "Ben" for the character I reviewed the mission with. I called that because in some cases that might work if it is a trusted BOFF who accompanies the Captain on many away missions but in general I would warn against it. The reason is it can be unduly familiar from a military perspective. That would be the retired U.S. Navy Chief in me that feels that way. If the NPC has just met my character for the first time it might be odd to call them by their [NickName] as well.

I hope that helps. :smile:
    Brian
    edited June 2012
    dalolorn wrote:
    I'd keep the "I liked the redacted portion" for once you actually see it... :p

Edit: And yesterday's post reminds me... I have a room to fill up in the currently published part of the mission :o

Re-edit: I expect the mission to be completed an hour or two after I come back from school, minus the blank room. Then again, I might get that done too.

Re-re-edit: Besides, I got plenty of time before I become the 1st player in the queue.

Re-re-re-edit: Wow, I do lots of edits :O Anyway, I'm gonna resubmit my review request now (just gotta scroll back down to it and quote it, with minor alterations), making me the 10th person in the queue - just enough time to get the finishing touches done.

Aaaaand... done!

Name: Exploratory Crisis
    Side: Federation
    Starting Point:Vulcan System, entered from Sirius Sector Block
    Description: Copy-pasting the static part now... "You have been called to Vulcan for emergency maintenance on your ship before proceeding to the Molera system to participate in the test flight of the U.S.S. Explorer, a new multi-vector assault vessel developed in Utopia Planitia shipyards - but will this be more than a routine mission?", and a review reply thingy where I reply to a review (picked by me if there are multiple reviews since my last update)
    Author: dalolorn
    Mission ID: ST-HFQQ0AGLP (HF, QQ? wtf? :O)
    Estimated Mission Length: 30-120 minutes, finishing up the last
    Method of Delivery: Forum Post

P.S. Have fun! And when asked for a Continuity Preservation Code (CPC) on Qo'noS, be sure to say you don't know, might give you a laugh - sure made me laugh when I was typing it :)

P.P.S. There are 4 different ways to play through, I think they're relatively bugproof as far as continuity is concerned. (that is, assuming you don't intentionally pick the wrong MDC fragment)

Re-re-re-re-re-edit: Huh? How did "I" turn into "U" in "where I reply to a review"?

Federation Mission - Exploratory Crisis
    Project ID: ST-HFQQ0AGLP

Report Start

Summary: This is a good mission with well designed maps and very tough battles throughout the mission. The story dialogue is well written and I noted only a few spelling errors on the first map. The only true issue with your dialogue is the [OOC] dialogue on several of the maps that does not serve the story or mission. Specifically any [OOC] dialogue that explains why the player cannot do something because of the Foundry takes the player out of the mission play and stops your story cold. If there is something you cannot do because of a limitation of the Foundry then write dialogue that takes the player around the problem without them seeing it. That is the challenge for the author to overcome. You just need to have a little more confidence in yourself about your skills with the Foundry. You did a great job with the majority of the mission you just need to fix a few things.

Normally I would definitely recommend this mission to other players but since they cannot finish it and therefore not receive credit for completing it I cannot recommend it. If you fix that issue then I would recommend the mission to others.

Below are some things I noted while playing the mission that I wanted to let you know about. Everything in this write up should be seen as suggestions on ways I felt you could improve certain elements of the mission. They are yours to do with as you see fit.

Mission Description: This is a good description. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this description

Grant Mission Dialogue: The grant dialogue is well written. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue.

Mission Task: Despite the inclusion of the start location in the grant dialogue you should consider adding the start location for the first custom map to the initial task. This will make it easier for the player to find it.

Mission Entry Prompt: This is a good prompt except for the [OOC] to discuss the reason the "Yes, of course" appears. It appears because it is entered in the map transfer button dialogue field. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue. I noted one item to consider changing:
    -Consider removing the [OOC] dialogue regarding the problems with the Foundry or other elements. It distracts from your story and most players will not hit you for those issues.

MAPS:
    Molera System: This is a good map design with several tough battles. The story dialogue is well written. I noted a couple of items to consider changing:
    -Consider changing the response button "Well i'm curious about the Explorer" to read "Well I'm curious about the Explorer"
    -Consider changing "I'll gladly fill you in.The U.S.S. Explorer" to read "I'll gladly fill you in. The U.S.S. Explorer"
    -Consider changing the response button "I'm a bit curious about you.." to read "I'm a bit curious about you."
    -Consider changing the variety of enemy forces that attack the U.S.S. Explorer to only Klingons since they are the main antagonist throughout the remainder of the mission. The Undine, Borg, and Hirogen all attacking one right after the other is a little confusing to the story.
    -There are two U.S.S. Explorer ships on the map which was a little distracting.
    -Consider removing the [OOC] dialogue that explains the problem with the Foundry and replace it with story dialogue that works around those issues. The way you are currently using it distracts from the story you are trying to tell.

Player Ship - 1: This is a nice map design with a good battle and some well written dialogue at the end. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue. I noted a couple of items to consider changing:
    -Consider adding dialogue from the player?s tactical BOFF after the battle that talks about the security teams retaking the player?s ship. It would then mention the U.S.S. Explorer boarding problem and suggest beaming to that ship. Then you initiate the transfer map with the beaming.
    -Consider removing the [OOC] dialogue that explains what you cannot do in the Foundry due to lack of experience. Your map designs are good you just need a little more confidence in what you are doing. The way you are currently using it distracts from the story you are trying to tell.

U.S.S. Explorer - 1: This is a good map design with some tough but fun battles. The story dialogue is well written. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map. I noted one item to consider changing:
    -Consider changing the map transfer response button "Go to Next Map" to read "Let's go" or something along those lines.

U.S.S. Explorer - 2: This is a good map design with several tough battles but your holosecurity squads are a big help in balancing the fighting. The story dialogue is very well written. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map. I noted one item to consider changing:
    -Consider removing the [OOC] dialogue that does not contribute to the mission. It only serves to distract the player from the mission. This does not include the dialogue that feeds the player clues or suggestions but those should be short and to the point.

U.S.S. Explorer - 3: This is a good map design with several tough battles but your holosecurity squads are a big help in balancing the fighting. The story dialogue is well written. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map. I noted a couple of items to consider changing:
    -Consider removing the [OOC] dialogue that does not contribute to the mission. It only serves to distract the player from the mission. This does not include the dialogue that feeds the player clues or suggestions but those should be short and to the point.
    -Yes you spelled "anesthizine" correctly according to the STO Wiki site. Consider removing the [OOC] dialogue that asks if you did spell it right.
    -Consider replacing the [OOC] "Placeholder message" in the dialogue with the MDC code that you indicate should be there.

U.S.S. Explorer - 4: This is a good map design with several tough battles but your holosecurity squads are a big help in balancing the fighting. The story dialogue is well written. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map. I noted a couple of items to consider changing:
    -Consider changing the map transfer dialogue "Go to Next Map" to read "Proceed to next deck?" and the response button "Go to Next Map" to read "Let's go" or something along those lines.

U.S.S. Explorer - 5: This is a good map design with a couple of tough battles that are made easier with the help of optional reinforcements. I like the "Commence the attack" trigger. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue. I noted a couple of items to consider changing:
    -Consider adding an indicator in the optional dialogue with Lieutenant Gero D'hav for talking to the Klingon in the holding cell.
    -The turbolift at the end does not line up with the doorway that is there.

U.S.S. Explorer - 6: This is a good map design with tough battles and well written dialogue. I really liked the way you had the player fight the enemy ship from the U.S.S. Explorer Bridge. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue. I noted a couple of items to consider changing:
    -There is a lot of dialogue at the start of this map after the MDC is entered but the enemy mobs attack before the player can finish reading all the dialogue. Consider adding the "Commence the attack" trigger you used on the other map at the beginning as you did later in the map. Place a barrier between the player and the enemy until the dialogue is complete and the player triggers it with the "Commence the attack" button or remove the dialogue.

Molera System: This is a good map design and the story dialogue is well written. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map. I noted a couple of items to consider changing:
    -Consider removing the [OOC] and [MissionInfo] dialogue that does not contribute to the mission. It only serves to distract the player from the mission. This does not include the dialogue that feeds the player clues or suggestions but those should be short and to the point.

Qo?noS System: This is a good map design with well written story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue. I noted one item to consider changing:
    -There is no indication in the dialogue other than what was on the other map that allows the player to finish this map. This forces the player to warp out and drop the mission so they get no credit for playing the mission, but they can still rate your mission. Consider adding something that ends the mission.

End Report

Thanks again for authoring and for giving me the chance to review your work. You did a good job with this mission; it just needs to be able to be finished. I look forward to playing/reviewing more of your work in the future.
    Brian
    edited June 2012
    The next two missions in the queue are The Jeroan Farmer Escapade, by Grylak, followed by Kai Hard, by Bazag. I may not get to either mission until next week as I am heading to Los Angles for work on Friday and Saturday. Sorry about the delay and thanks for your patience. :smile:

Thanks for authoring,
    Brian
  • bazagbazag Member Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    edited June 2012
    Federation Mission - Exploratory Crisis
    Project ID: ST-HFQQ0AGLP

Report Start

1. Summary: This is a good mission with well designed maps and very tough battles throughout the mission. The story dialogue is well written and I noted only a few spelling errors on the first map. The only true issue with your dialogue is the [OOC] dialogue on several of the maps that does not serve the story or mission. Specifically any [OOC] dialogue that explains why the player cannot do something because of the Foundry takes the player out of the mission play and stops your story cold. If there is something you cannot do because of a limitation of the Foundry then write dialogue that takes the player around the problem without them seeing it. That is the challenge for the author to overcome. You just need to have a little more confidence in yourself about your skills with the Foundry. You did a great job with the majority of the mission you just need to fix a few things.

2. Normally I would definitely recommend this mission to other players but since they cannot finish it and therefore not receive credit for completing it I cannot recommend it. If you fix that issue then I would recommend the mission to others.

Below are some things I noted while playing the mission that I wanted to let you know about. Everything in this write up should be seen as suggestions on ways I felt you could improve certain elements of the mission. They are yours to do with as you see fit.

Mission Description: This is a good description. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this description

Grant Mission Dialogue: The grant dialogue is well written. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue.

Mission Task: Despite the inclusion of the start location in the grant dialogue you should consider adding the start location for the first custom map to the initial task. This will make it easier for the player to find it.

Mission Entry Prompt: This is a good prompt except for the [OOC] to discuss the reason the "Yes, of course" appears. It appears because it is entered in the map transfer button dialogue field. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue. I noted one item to consider changing:
    -Consider removing the [OOC] dialogue regarding the problems with the Foundry or other elements. It distracts from your story and most players will not hit you for those issues.

MAPS:
    3. Molera System: This is a good map design with several tough battles. The story dialogue is well written. I noted a couple of items to consider changing:
    -Consider changing the response button "Well i'm curious about the Explorer" to read "Well I'm curious about the Explorer"
    -Consider changing "I'll gladly fill you in.The U.S.S. Explorer" to read "I'll gladly fill you in. The U.S.S. Explorer"
    -Consider changing the response button "I'm a bit curious about you.." to read "I'm a bit curious about you."
    -Consider changing the variety of enemy forces that attack the U.S.S. Explorer to only Klingons since they are the main antagonist throughout the remainder of the mission. The Undine, Borg, and Hirogen all attacking one right after the other is a little confusing to the story.
    -There are two U.S.S. Explorer ships on the map which was a little distracting.
    -Consider removing the [OOC] dialogue that explains the problem with the Foundry and replace it with story dialogue that works around those issues. The way you are currently using it distracts from the story you are trying to tell.

4. Player Ship - 1: This is a nice map design with a good battle and some well written dialogue at the end. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue. I noted a couple of items to consider changing:
    -Consider adding dialogue from the player?s tactical BOFF after the battle that talks about the security teams retaking the player?s ship. It would then mention the U.S.S. Explorer boarding problem and suggest beaming to that ship. Then you initiate the transfer map with the beaming.
    -Consider removing the [OOC] dialogue that explains what you cannot do in the Foundry due to lack of experience. Your map designs are good you just need a little more confidence in what you are doing. The way you are currently using it distracts from the story you are trying to tell.

5. U.S.S. Explorer - 1: This is a good map design with some tough but fun battles. The story dialogue is well written. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map. I noted one item to consider changing:
    -Consider changing the map transfer response button "Go to Next Map" to read "Let's go" or something along those lines.

6.U.S.S. Explorer - 2: This is a good map design with several tough battles but your holosecurity squads are a big help in balancing the fighting. The story dialogue is very well written. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map. I noted one item to consider changing:

7. U.S.S. Explorer - 3: This is a good map design with several tough battles but your holosecurity squads are a big help in balancing the fighting. The story dialogue is well written. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map. I noted a couple of items to consider changing:
    -Yes you spelled "anesthizine" correctly according to the STO Wiki site. Consider removing the [OOC] dialogue that asks if you did spell it right.
    -Consider replacing the [OOC] "Placeholder message" in the dialogue with the MDC code that you indicate should be there.

8. U.S.S. Explorer - 4: This is a good map design with several tough battles but your holosecurity squads are a big help in balancing the fighting. The story dialogue is well written. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map. I noted a couple of items to consider changing:
    -Consider changing the map transfer dialogue "Go to Next Map" to read "Proceed to next deck?" and the response button "Go to Next Map" to read "Let's go" or something along those lines.

9. U.S.S. Explorer - 5: This is a good map design with a couple of tough battles that are made easier with the help of optional reinforcements. I like the "Commence the attack" trigger. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue. I noted a couple of items to consider changing:
    -Consider adding an indicator in the optional dialogue with Lieutenant Gero D'hav for talking to the Klingon in the holding cell.
    -The turbolift at the end does not line up with the doorway that is there.

10. U.S.S. Explorer - 6: This is a good map design with tough battles and well written dialogue. I really liked the way you had the player fight the enemy ship from the U.S.S. Explorer Bridge. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue. I noted a couple of items to consider changing:
    -There is a lot of dialogue at the start of this map after the MDC is entered but the enemy mobs attack before the player can finish reading all the dialogue. Consider adding the "Commence the attack" trigger you used on the other map at the beginning as you did later in the map. Place a barrier between the player and the enemy until the dialogue is complete and the player triggers it with the "Commence the attack" button or remove the dialogue.

11. Molera System: This is a good map design and the story dialogue is well written. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue or any issues with the map. I noted a couple of items to consider changing:
    -Consider removing the [OOC] and [MissionInfo] dialogue that does not contribute to the mission. It only serves to distract the player from the mission. This does not include the dialogue that feeds the player clues or suggestions but those should be short and to the point.

12. Qo'noS System: This is a good map design with well written story dialogue. I noted no spelling or grammatical errors with this dialogue. I noted one item to consider changing:
    -There is no indication in the dialogue other than what was on the other map that allows the player to finish this map. This forces the player to warp out and drop the mission so they get no credit for playing the mission, but they can still rate your mission. Consider adding something that ends the mission.

End Report

Thanks again for authoring and for giving me the chance to review your work. You did a good job with this mission; it just needs to be able to be finished. I look forward to playing/reviewing more of your work in the future.
    Brian

Ok, let me answer this piece by piece...

1. Will probably remove OOC.
    2. I wasn't aware that the reach marker objective failed. I suppose I could add an extra step to the "Hail the Bortasqu'" thingy - the instant success from the reach marker set at your spawn obviously didn't work.
    3. I guess I'll have to add some extra dialogue to explain the Borg, Undine, and stuff - if I can figure out some proper ST science for the job. I think I've learnt that I need to do a full spellcheck before submitting for reviews. And as for the Explorer, I'll have to make the non-combat version a holographic decoy... or swap the hail objective out for an interact-dialogue chain.
    4. Ok, thanks for the idea.
    5. Oops, didn't notice that.
    6. The OOC on the 2nd Explorer map, where was that?
    7. You mean the Vulcan monk? I might do that once Season 6 hits with the instant interactions. As for the OOC placeholder message, I'm guessing you're referring to the optional objective with the holograms - I'm not exactly able to remove those. I originally had the player re-input their MDCs, but I swapped that out for the placeholder. Thanks for the anesthizine spellcheck, by the way!
    8. Again, the security hologram commanders and Aoe'ska? As for the Go to next map thing, I can't make that branch according to MDC, so I had to go generic.
    9. Ok, so my clue wasn't obvious enough. Gotta fix that. Thanks for the trigger, I'd do it on the bridge, but circumstances blocked me. This time I'm not sure about where is the dialogue, unless you're referring to the various injured dialogues from the Gerus storyline. I noticed the turbolift too, but haven't gotten around to fixing that yet. By the way, it's D'Hev :biggrin:
    10. My only option on the bridge would be to add a large invisible wall at the equator (you know what I mean), but I might consider it. As for all the OOC comments you've made, it's just in my nature - can't make it much shorter than that :redface:
    11. Not quite sure where the optional dialogue would be, except the Bortas - you can observe a drifting ship as long as you want, can't you? :tongue:
    12. As I commented in 2., I was unaware of the issue (it did pop up once or twice during testing, but I thought I fixed it) and will fix it as soon as I get back to the Foundry.

Think I marked the parts that I responded to properly, and thanks for the bridge battle comment - though I could have sworn that I heard an explosion every time I tested - BEFORE the battle.

Edit: By the way, Word's toying with your apostrophes again? Fixed it in the quote above though.