What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Linking Your Accounts

Comments

• Options
    alaris3alaris3 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    And the FAQ confirms what I am not happy to hear. What I feared would happen the moment I saw this.
    What if I don't want to link?

Account linking will soon be non-optional. If you have a Cryptic account and link now, you can claim a special item in Star Trek Online. Also, the sooner you link, the better chance you have of getting your preferred account name and display name.

Non-Optional. I do not like that. Why can't I keep my original account? Why do I 'HAVE' to become part of the Perfect World system? Honestly, I don't want to (and haven't, thanks to the ease of creating extra accounts. Didn't even have to confirm I was using a real email).

I'm likely to put it off UNTIL it is non-optional. I'm a Lifer, so I don't plan on quitting, but I get VERY LITTLE benefit from converting now.

The "Special Item" is not special at all. I believe the only thing they're referring to with it is the "Extra 2,500 XP," which really isn't that much, given it's only claimable once. If it was account-wide, I might be tempted.
  • Options
    charon1charon1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Unfortunately, there is no way to do this. We've added this to the FAQ.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

No, no you haven't, you've just removed all references to the forum name in the hopes people won't notice. You have "Added" nothing to the FAQ.

It's not even "There's no way to do this YET, we're working on it", just "There's no way to do this, even though we explicitly referred to that functionality, so you can all suck it with the forum names you never wanted, and you can't transfer characters between PWE accounts so you can't even reregister. Have fun, mindless consumers!"

You referred not-too-long ago to using data to back up your decisions. What, pray tell, was the data supporting the decision to take away almost all user options, lumber them with a name that they never wanted to use on the forums, take away even the basics like custom avatars and do all this with no warning whatsoever? You made this decision, ergo you must have had data to support it.
  • Options
    meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Save your breath, Charon.

PWE_BranFlakes won't be responding to any LOGICAL questions, and fails quite miserably at trying to hide the truth. Such a thing as changing the "Display Name" is clearly a feature of vBulletin (which this forum is based on), and yet he tries to hide it by saying the functionality doesn't even exist. I don't know who is most clueless, BranFlakes, or the PWE web-team.

In any case, we as the community members end up suffering for their inept decisions.
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    meurik wrote: »
    Save your breath, Charon.

PWE_BranFlakes won't be responding to any LOGICAL questions, and fails quite miserably at trying to hide the truth. Such a thing as changing the "Display Name" is clearly a feature of vBulletin (which this forum is based on), and yet he tries to hide it by saying the functionality doesn't even exist. I don't know who is most clueless, BranFlakes, or the PWE web-team.

In any case, we as the community members end up suffering for their inept decisions.

Well, sadly, it's not exactly PWE_BranFlakes fault either. He's got superiors who won't let him say certain things. That explains why we haven't seen much in the way of employees responding to the 'rage' on the forums. PWE has told them not to, since the rage will likely die down in short time, and things will 'return to normal.'

Fittlewa, I agree. This was a terrible decision, and lying to the community won't get them anywhere. But they see no consequence...
  • Options
    shapeywhelmshapeywhelm Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    That is incorrect. vBulletin DOES have that option available. I have been using vBulletin for quite a few years and believe me.... It IS there.

Just as the option to upload/link avatars is there, or using BBCode in signatures... It's all there.

what he meant to say was "We don't want to allow you to do so"
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Oh, and in case anyone's wondering, the other PWE games haven't had to put up with this. Not Champions, Not Rusty Hearts, Not Neverwinter or RaiderZ

Just us.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    charon1 wrote: »
    Oh, and in case anyone's wondering, the other PWE games haven't had to put up with this. Not Champions, Not Rusty Hearts, Not Neverwinter or RaiderZ

Just us.

Well, I have bad news for you, since I have the perfect explanation for that.

We are the Beta Test.
  • Options
    edited June 2012

Just us.

Well, why not, US?

We are after all the guinea pigs in most situations. The Foundry for example, while "pioneered" for STO back in Season 3, has seen very little updates (yes, updates are promised, but they aren't here YET). It is a flawed system, which has badly needed reworking on certain areas for over a year. The more "perfected" version of The Foundry, is sitting in the Neverwinter development build, and will be released when the game is released later this year. Meanwhile, we sit with the BETA version of the tool in STO.

And yes, I understand PWE_BranFlakes isn't solely to blame for this ridiculous blunder of PWE/Cryptic. But he is the most visible and most active of the PWE/Cryptic staff at current, so i'm sorry to say, he'll have to be the focus of most "rage" for the next few days.

Unless things get significantly improved on the forums, I have no intention of letting this "die down", and will make sure to keep the forums reminded about the fiasco, until things ARE improved.
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • Options
    podsixpodsix Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited June 2012

..yet.
    7n4nvF5.png
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Well, why not, US?

We are after all the guinea pigs in most situations. The Foundry for example, while "pioneered" for STO back in Season 3, has seen very little updates (yes, updates are promised, but they aren't here YET). It is a flawed system, which has badly needed reworking on certain areas for over a year. The more "perfected" version of The Foundry, is sitting in the Neverwinter development build, and will be released when the game is released later this year. Meanwhile, we sit with the BETA version of the tool in STO.

And yes, I understand PWE_BranFlakes isn't solely to blame for this ridiculous blunder of PWE/Cryptic. But he is the most visible and most active of the PWE/Cryptic staff at current, so i'm sorry to say, he'll have to be the focus of most "rage" for the next few days.

Unless things get significantly improved on the forums, I have no intention of letting this "die down", and will make sure to keep the forums reminded about the fiasco, until things ARE improved.

Well, I agree (as above), that we are the Beta Test for this site and forum change.

I've wanted to make missions in the Foundry forever... but I just can't stand how limited it is. I heard they were going to add "Cutscene" stuff into it a while back, but it looks like that just got ported to Neverwinter, and never touched us.

And if you truly think you can keep it alive, then by all means. This stuff needs fixing. Unfortunately, complaining usually DOES die down after a little while of no response (Which, I'm guessing, is what PWE is going for).

PWE is VERY SPARINGLY responding, not giving definitive answers or help. They're hoping that, if we see nothing being done, that we will just give up.

Godspeed to those who plan to keep the fight alive, best of luck.
  • Options
    willy01pwewilly01pwe Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    We've just launched the new Star Trek Online website, and we're sure you have questions. Read more for answers and other important information.

Link to the news article.

Well, I linked the accounts as per required, and now when I try to log into STO launcher:

if I use Cryptic with the old account name and old password, it tells me to log in using the PWE account name.

if I use the linked (new) PWE account name (signing up would not allow me to use the same account name for convenience) -- the password field is too short for my old password and the login fails.

So, by doing your required linking process, I have basically locked myself out of Star Trek Online. Smooth move, Cryptic.
    --
    No Star Trek Series went past Season 7.

Will Star Trek Online survive Season 7?
  • Options
    hanix1986hanix1986 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    You only get the reward if you link them now, during this promo - not after it, not before it.

Just like every other promo - I bought gamma quadrant doffs last month and got no Lobi crystals

Thanks for being a **** who can't read.

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=569601

Right in there, in the original news story, it states that those who had already linked will get this as well. So, now, to the people who can actually help me; how can I resolve this issue of not being able to find the reward in the C-Store. I looked in items and it is not there. So, if you could please help me figure this out.
  • Options
    obiwanjabroniobiwanjabroni Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Can we still buy CP for other people with these ZEN shenanigans? I was looking into sending some to a fleetmate but the process doesn't seem to be as straightforward as it used to be.
    sig_universal.png
  • Options
    darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    well thnx to whoever for getting Zen transfer fixed.
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • Options
    koppenflakkoppenflak Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    "By linking your Perfect World Entertainment and Cryptic accounts, you will enjoy a more streamlined process in accessing your information and logging into your favorite games."

Ahahahaha.

That's a good one.

If by more streamlined, you mean "added four steps to buying points", then sure.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mrsladewilsonmrsladewilson Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I'm sure the reason this was done was because PW was already running forums, account servers, etc., and Accounting was wondering why they were double-paying, basically. Also, the PW support folks were probably wondering something similar.

So from a 50,000 foot level, it makes sense.

Unfortunately the devil is always in the details.

For me, the biggest issue is the devtracker. I long ago stopped reading most of the forum, as it's become overrun with whining, raging, and nonsense. I just come by for the devtracker now, and if that's not fixed, I'll have no reason to come to the forums at all.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    hanix1986 wrote: »
    Right in there, in the original news story, it states that those who had already linked will get this as well. So, now, to the people who can actually help me; how can I resolve this issue of not being able to find the reward in the C-Store. I looked in items and it is not there. So, if you could please help me figure this out.

And yet, you can't do it

They've already edited one news story to take out false and misleading information, what makes you think this one's accurate or trustworthy, in the face of your contrary experience?
  • Options
    josephkerrjosephkerr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Poor Branflakes, I imagine you were told to do it but c'mon, did you think coming out and flatly LYING about the functionality of vBulletin like none of us have ever used it would work?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    @ Charon: I believe your post was referring to hanix1986, not me. Another fail on PWE/Cryptic's part, with the quoting system? :smile:
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • Options
    willy01pwewilly01pwe Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    willy01pwe wrote: »
    Well, I linked the accounts as per required, and now when I try to log into STO launcher:

if I use Cryptic with the old account name and old password, it tells me to log in using the PWE account name.

if I use the linked (new) PWE account name (signing up would not allow me to use the same account name for convenience) -- the password field is too short for my old password and the login fails.

So, by doing your required linking process, I have basically locked myself out of Star Trek Online. Smooth move, Cryptic.

Well, this is stupid. I went to change passwords and PWE only allows 14 characters -- my current password is 16. The change password option has the current password entered as ************** (14 chars) and if you put a new, shorter password in the new field, and click the "save" button, it says "passwords don't match". ??!??

Would it kill your programmers to put a "reset" password button that emails you a link to automate the process?

So, I'm now doubly locked out of Star Trek Online (and it doesn't make sense if my current/old/cryptic legacy password is too long, why is the PWE web site letting me log in but the game wont?

The STO game launcher forces you to use the new linked PWE account name but doesn't allow over 14 character password.

This needs fixing. I've been a faithful subscriber since launch, 869 day vet and the forced PWE account linking has totally screwed everything up.
    --
    No Star Trek Series went past Season 7.

Will Star Trek Online survive Season 7?
  • Options
    capnbluddcapnbludd Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2012

Just us.

Umm, neverwinter has been this new forum for a while already. I noticed the change last week and decided to link then. Champions is probably next on the list.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dec/2008
  • Options
    hanix1986hanix1986 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    And yet, you can't do it

They've already edited one news story to take out false and misleading information, what makes you think this one's accurate or trustworthy, in the face of your contrary experience?

Yet, they haven't changed that story, it still says it in there. I double checked before I reposted. So, I am going to stick with that until some one tells me otherwise. So, if you'll please refrain from responding to my posts so that a staff member can.

Now, how can I get the reward? I linked months ago and it is not in my C-Store.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    BranFlakes likely has no choice in the matter. He has free reign to post within certain restrictions.

Chances are, right now, the CEOs, or whoever is in charge, told him "Do not post anything beyond X parameters right now, it will only make things worse."

There's also the chance that the Web-Team told him that vBulliten couldn't do these things, and he's just relaying bad information.
  • Options
    felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Q: If I link, is my Cryptic Account gone forever?
    No. We will never delete your Cryptic account. You will use your Perfect World credentials to access your Cryptic account, but it's still there, have no fear.

If my Cryptic account is still there, what info does it have, and what info does the PW one have? What is the distinction? How will things work if / when PWE sells Cryptic?

More importantly, if my Cryptic account is "still there", why can't I get my subscribed threads and all that good stuff from it?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    felderburg wrote: »
    If my Cryptic account is still there, what info does it have, and what info does the PW one have? What is the distinction? How will things work if / when PWE sells Cryptic?

More importantly, if my Cryptic account is "still there", why can't I get my subscribed threads and all that good stuff from it?

Well, you can't get your subscribed threads, and "all that good stuff" because the forum where your "subscribed threads" were is gone. Long gone.

This is a Perfect World Sub-Forum, which just happens to have a copy of all the posts made, now under the Username "Archived Post" (I believe).
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    alaris3 wrote: »
    There's also the chance that the Web-Team told him that vBulliten couldn't do these things, and he's just relaying bad information.

If this part were true, then the web-team is a bunch of idiots, who don't know how to manage a website, and should all be fired.

I've had my fair share of running various websites, upgrading forum software, even linking databases. Sometimes it works, sometimes it didn't. But when it didn't work, I admitted any problems up front, and not try to hide behind excuses such as "we can't do that". As others have clearly stated, this forum is using modified vBulletin software, and the features requested ARE present in vBulletin. PWE/Cryptic just chooses not to use them (and then bold-face lies about it).
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • Options
    magmafire2374magmafire2374 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    smh at this whole thing
    :frown:
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    If this part were true, then the web-team is a bunch of idiots, who don't know how to manage a website, and should all be fired.

I've had my fair share of running various websites, upgrading forum software, even linking databases. Sometimes it works, sometimes it didn't. But when it didn't work, I admitted any problems up front, and not try to hide behind excuses such as "we can't do that". As others have clearly stated, this forum is using modified vBulletin software, and the features requested ARE present in vBulletin. PWE/Cryptic just chooses not to use them (and then bold-face lies about it).

Hey, I never claimed the web-team was smart. I just claimed they existed. Which may also be false.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Fair point, Alaris :)
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • Options
    ltcmdjamescoreltcmdjamescore Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited June 2012

Are you certain they aren't?
    izNBNFT.jpg