test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

IT'S OFFICIAL: The New Forums = FAIL

Comments

• levi3levi3 Member Posts: 1,663 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    A lot of you were posting on the forums more than playing due to many issues that pissed you off - they said "that's not right, we will have to get them in the forums too!"
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Really funny how all this flashy stuff just keeps not loading in my browser, very useful.

Do I need to repeat: Unintuitive layout, almost no customisation (do you feel being censored, as I do?), Dev tracker not working, bad readibility, ...

Plus to that: All the stuff I'd expect from a transfer and that I could prepare for (like saving important stuff, that I could not find anymore), ... If I knew beforehand!

EDIT: Even better, the button "Reply" is the one least likely to load, GREAT.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    levi3 wrote: »
    A lot of you were posting on the forums more than playing due to many issues that pissed you off - they said "that' not right, we will have to get them in the forums too!"

And then they said, "Let's ruin the rest of the website while we're at it." For all we know, maybe they'll add an item to the C-store that lets you see the website as it originally was when you're logged in. Now won't that be fun. :mad:
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
    edited June 2012
    A lot of you were posting on the forums more than playing due to many issues that pissed you off - they said "that's not right, we will have to get them in the forums too!"

This is totally a "rumor" and completely unsubstantiated - but I heard that after season 6 launch ALL ships will have PWE ads running both inside the ships - and as Huge Decals on the outside of your ship

Everyone will start off with 10 large ad decals on their ship Hull - but PWE will give you the option to buy a removal token for 500cp which will allow you to remove 1 ad from the hull - or a special 10 pack for 4000cp
  • ebeneezergoodeebeneezergoode Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    So, no word from those responsible for this totally FUBAR version of the forum as to why it was done, or at least why it was done so poorly, or if they plan to restore any of the functionality we've lost? I could put up with it looking like dog TRIBBLE if it at least worked as well as the other one.

Approximately 1400 Organians now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Great, new Fail I discovered: I can't look for my posts by name. I keep getting "database errors".
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
    edited June 2012
    This is totally a "rumor" and completely unsubstantiated - but I heard that after season 6 launch ALL ships will have PWE ads running both inside the ships - and as Huge Decals on the outside of your ship

Everyone will start off with 10 large ad decals on their ship Hull - but PWE will give you the option to buy a removal token for 500cp which will allow you to remove 1 ad from the hull - or a special 10 pack for 4000cp

This of course will apply to every ship in your inventory!! There will be no escape!! HAHAHAHAHA
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I just noticed this when I looked at the top of the page:

Welcome, voporak.
    You last visited: 12-31-1969 at 4:00 PM
    Private messages: Unread 0, Total 0.

1969, wasn't TOS sometime around then? And my mailbox... looks like everything got dumped. I was really hoping to investigate further that message from the exchange saying I had sold a Worboro Shorm for 499999 EC. But I never put up a "Worboro Shorm". Oh well, I'm going to slowly wander the shattered remains of the website picking up the little broken pieces of what's left.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I thought I would pipe in again and perhaps explain it in a way that the PWe overlords might understand:

這就是比你母親醜 !

(Good - its off my chest now - I figured a crappy translation for a crappy website is appropos.)

-ABM
  • dariusmajeredariusmajere Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    What the * censored by Starfleet* Is this *censored by Starfleet* Why the * censored by Starfleet* are the *censored by Starfleet* forums so *censored by Starfleet* Big! This *censored by Starfleet* is TRIBBLE! I used to navigate this *censored by Starfleet* with ease, it fit on one *censored by Starfleet* Screen! What the *censored by Starfleet*. Fix this *censored by Starfleet* NOW!
    Proud Fleet Commander in Garfon's Renegades!
    Proud Leader of the Massive Chaos Group
    Proud Listener of Subspace-Radio.net The Voice of Star Trek Online.
    [SIGPIC]http://massivechaos.enjin.com/[/SIGPIC]
  • cursixcursix Member Posts: 0
    edited June 2012
    toiva wrote: »
    Great, new Fail I discovered: I can't look for my posts by name. I keep getting "database errors".

Apparently they don't know how to write SQL.
    Database error in vBulletin 3.7.1:

Invalid SQL:

SELECT posts, userid, username
    			FROM vb_user AS user
    			WHERE displayname = 'cursix';

MySQL Error   : Unknown column 'displayname' in 'where clause'
    Error Number  : 1054

I find it ammusing they actually have that verbose debugin being outputed to the end user.
  • darkwhite0darkwhite0 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    borgarray wrote: »
    THIS is most definitely the response to these changes I'm sensing on the ENTIRE forum AND in game

http://youtu.be/qSAKHLbCUGk

AGREEEEEEEE:mad:
  • ryeknowryeknow Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Oh yeah this mess here is EPIC

FAIL
  • nikkyvixnikkyvix Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Not much for me to add right now that has not been said so far. Just making sure my sig works.

...Actually no, check that, I do have something to say.

What concerns me is the possibility that there will be no addressing the flagrant mishandling of this whole venture aside from fixing the most obvious broken things. No mea culpa, if you will. No apology to the players who have been unnecessarily inconvenienced. Only cheery community-rep posts and a lot of hands-off detachment waiting until the forumbase runs out of things to yell about.

One might argue that this is just a first-run hiccup of the kind that usually happens on major code changes. That is unacceptable, because one might counter-argue that as professionals who receive our money in exchange for their services, they have a standard of quality and testing to adhere to and, maybe, the obligation to alert their users as to the scope of the changes and what they could expect.

If they did the latter and I have not seen it please correct me. But because it seems to me they did not, I have no reason to believe that they had sufficient data to know for certain what their change-over would do. Which tells me that little internal testing was done to ensure that the merger would be as seamless as tolerable for a professional business outfit. I hold both PWE and Cryptic responsible for this.

It doesn't matter if this is how it went down or how it did not. This is the perception of the customer, and the customer's perception controls how tightly he or she holds to their money, which is ultimately what's important to a business. And there are a lot of customers who have clenched purse-strings now.

This is not how you keep customers and both these companies should know it. I would like to be optimistic with the good faith of Cryptic and assume they will address this, but at this point of our business relationship I find it hard to know where Cryptic ends and PWE begins and who specifically signs off on what.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Artist Formerly Known As Nikotaka ][ Join Date: Jan 2010
    "Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers...?"
  • drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Add,

Why am I getting friend requests from people not even in the game STO.

When I go to my profile I am taking to PW, where there is some stupid Token reward system that has nothing to do with STO, unless the KDF have started to dress like barbie? :mad:

Check the raterization on your buttons... ama....rs.

Add,

When you edit a post, the forum cannot remember which thread you were in....

I'm an experienced Developer with 8 years in this arena. When you roll out such massive changes across an application, its kind of basic IT to first do it on a staging environment, and gauge UAT before pushing this to "production".

This doesn't even seem to have going through any FAT? Forums are not some insignificant piece of code folks. Its the virtual representation of your community.
    edited June 2012
    Add,

Why am I getting friend requests from people not even in the game STO.

When I go to my profile I am taking to PW, where there is some stupid Token reward system that has nothing to do with STO, unless the KDF have started to dress like barbie? :mad:

Check the raterization on your buttons... ama....rs.

Add,

When you edit a post, the forum cannot remember which thread you were in....

I'm an experienced Developer with 8 years in this arena. When you roll out such massive changes across an application, its kind of basic IT to first do it on a staging environment, and gauge UAT before pushing this to "production".

This doesn't even seem to have going through any FAT? Forums are not some insignificant piece of code folks. Its the virtual representation of your community.

What gave you an indication that they even care what players think? From your posts you almost sound surpized.
  • boorman73boorman73 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I love the new forums. I know many people put a lot of work into this. I work in IT and understand there are people who do nothing but complain. I have chosen not to be one of them.

Congrats to the developers, QA's and project managers. Well worth the wait! :)
    edited June 2012
    What gave you an indication that they even care what players think? From your posts you almost sound surpized.

Actually as a developer I am surprised.

But perhaps I need to spell it out - 10 Principles Of Effective Web Design
    . Every web developer should at least understand the basics....
  • hpcapulethpcapulet Member Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I hate the new forums with a passion. Smileys have the worst alpha channel work, forum names are so restricted I lost my name and can't even make this replacement name look decent thanks to no caps or special characters. Oh and this lovely amateurish box I am typing in, looks like it belongs to a free forum host template. coupe de grace is the forced merger with a PWE account. I didn't do it for a reason and you know what? I enjoyed ZERO phishing emails trying to get my STO password reset. massive failsauce.

Zero wonder why this was just sprang on us, who would want this?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Heir to the high pony of holier than thou, Guardian of the Sacred Mallet of Thwarting, and giver of Baptismal raspberries since 02/02/2010
  • xcom43xcom43 Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL

Agreeeeeeeeeeed
    The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
    edited June 2012
    boorman73 wrote: »
    I love the new forums. I know many people put a lot of work into this. I work in IT and understand there are people who do nothing but complain. I have chosen not to be one of them.

That is your prerogative and you are absolutely entitled to it.

However, your fellow users of this forum are not simply 'complaining' because something was changed. All old posts are archived and reduced to anonymity under one single name of 'Archived Post'. Many contributors to this community cannot access their old posts.

Many cannot find their old posts.

Many were attached to their old usernames which they are denied from retaking. These are the identity of people, they are associated with them.

There are also functional problems with this layout and much of the layout is wasted space from a design perspective. There is lost functionality which you, as an IT person, should know is a negative to lose when it has been an integral and useful part of a community.

Spending time actually looking over the scope of changes and listening to the more well-reasoned arguments will do well enough to show how this affects a community.

But if you would like to detatch--as most IT people do for their own sanity--and wave your hand and say it is all a non-issue to be chalked up to common 'complaining' that always happens no matter the scope of mishandling a change, yes...that is absolutely your prerogative as an IT person.

I for one would not hire you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    Actually as a developer I am surprised.

But perhaps I need to spell it out - 10 Principles Of Effective Web Design
    . Every web developer should at least understand the basics....

lol sounds like your from PWE to me your saying oh i like the new fourms When 95% of the people here hate it.This setup sucks i could do better in my sleep.
    The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
    edited June 2012
    boorman73 wrote: »

What QA could have possibly taken place in the space of a day?

Just look at the buttons? As a developer, you like that? Thats good design?

Clients have a right to complain, when they are paying for it. When my clients complain, I acknowledge them, I endeveour to fix what they have pointed out, and I follow-up with them that they are satisfied. Its called communication. That does not seem to be the case with MMO's, who believe that they work in an impervious vacuum.
    edited June 2012
    xcom43 wrote: »
    lol sounds like your from PWE to me your saying oh i like the new fourms When 95% of the people here hate it.This setup sucks i could do better in my sleep.

Perhaps you should read my posts again. See how unintuitive the design is, when a post as simple as mine gets befuddled by poor-UI design?
    edited June 2012
    xcom43 wrote: »

You are either misquoting on the wrong person, or misinterpreting what he means there I think. =)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wolvenshirewolvenshire Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I don't mind how the forums look, I just don't like not being able to use my own avatar.

And I don't like loosing my join date.
    @EremiticWolf - Join Date - Oct. 2008
    [
    edited June 2012
    Perhaps you should read my posts again. See how unintuitive the design is, when a post as simple as mine gets befuddled by poor-UI design?

I did read yours lol

Its not that hard to write SQL

And plus on top of the Bad Coding the Color really bugs my eyes as well.
    edited June 2012
    nikkyvix wrote: »
    You are either misquoting on the wrong person, or misinterpreting what he means there I think. =)

I think you right :) See another example of poor design. Buttons should usually be at the bottom of the context and the minds-eye reads from top-to-bottom, not bottom-to-top :)
  • crusty8maccrusty8mac Member Posts: 1,381 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    This is a complete fail.

Where are my subscribed threads?
    Why do I have to use a new screen name that isn't the same as my in-game name?
    Why do I have to have a PWE account?
    How do I get today's posts only?
    I want my avatar, it is the same on all forums that I participate in.

I've been through forum changes at other sites, and this one is the failingest fail of all.
    edited June 2012
    I can't view any of mine either and that all so ticks me off.Even if you link accounts i don't think that will help.