test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Path to F2P Dev Blog #14

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    It has been quite a while since I have had a reason to post on these forums about something. I believe this move to put in a Dilithium cost for crafting is plain stupid. I understand the whole concept of wanting to go F2P and up until now I have been looking forward to it. However this move should it go forward will literally cause a backlash from the players. First: The active players that will become gold members will simply stop crafting as it becomes to much of a pain in the neck to make something to use. Second: The new members ( silver F2P ) will look at it and simply ignore the option to craft as it does not make sense to spend cold hard cash to have the ability to make something in the game.
    As it stands right now the crafters and farmers spend a large amount of time gathering the needed data to make the items. They then either sell them outright on the exchange or put them into the fleets for the fleet members to use. Under this system you will abolish that completely from the game. This move if it does go live in game after F2P will cause currently active members to stop playing or cause other currently active members to simply stop crafting. The new members simply won’t be able to use the system from the start and when they could start crafting why should they? After all you’re asking them to pay money to get dilithium to craft items for a game. They will simply gather the dilithium and buy the in game alternative from the vendors. Please remember people while micro transactions are a good thing, they simply aren’t the right thing for all areas of the game.
    I am not happy about the conversion rate from marks, badges, and emblems to dilithium. I believe you need to take another look at that. I also believe that there needs to be other ways to earn dilithium besides DOFF missions and running nebulas. The prices in dilithium are not well thought out as well. From what I have seen it is simply more expensive to buy items in the dilithium system than it was for the emblems. I also firmly believe that the in game new ships need to remain the way they are. Meaning that as it stands right now when you rank from Lt to Lt Cmdr etc. you earn a plaque to purchase a new ship from the ship yard. This works well and there is no wait to get the new ship. It's simple rank = new ship. In the beta I have noted that this is not the case you have to buy the new ship from the ship yard with dilithium, and I am sorry to say that it is going to cause people to wait to get the new ship when they rank up. This is due to the fact that it takes a lot of time to gather the dilithium. You have the plus one ships in the C store for the micro transaction stay with that. Leave the basic in game ships the way they are so players can get the new ship when they rank. A simple quote from a who I don’t remember but it sums it up nicely. " If it ain’t broke dot fix it."
    edited October 2011
    I already have to spend countless hours hunting for data samples amd making useless Items that I have to vendor just to get my skills up and now you are going to charge me Dilithium on top of that!!!!!!

Ok I am a Man of few words But some are coming to mind and I realy don't like Saying those WORDS
    Please rethink this Dilithium for crafting

Epic FAIL
    edited October 2011
    I first heard about these changes to crafting and my first thought was.... NOW MY KDF AND FED CRAFTERS ARE USELESS TO MY OTHER TOONS AND FELLOW FLEET MEMBERS... And this change now means I can't just leave crafting up to my two crafters. First time a change to the game has hit my Rage Button since launch.
    edited October 2011

Cryptic is placing a real-world cash charge on crafting. ANY cash charge on crafting is UNACCEPTABLE! First this game was subscription only, now they're "saying" subscription and F2P, but everything they do shows they're waving goodbye to subscribers and charging EVERYBODY for EVERYTHING they can get away with. Gee, what a shock this is happening after the PWE acquisition. Cryptic, do you really want to listen to everything PWE is telling you? Well, you'd better hope for HUGE numbers of F2Pers with big wallets and little intelligence, because WE won't be here, NOT because we ragequit, but because YOU have made it clear WE'RE no longer needed or welcome!
    edited October 2011
    Cryptic really just needs to leave the crafting alone...it was fine as it was
    edited October 2011
    Also just checked on tribble...feds got the dilithium changes to crafting...kdf did not get the changes.

just goes to show Feds got screwed and the devs favor kdf yet again.

I think you missed the part in the patch that says the KDF Grind-Fest has yet to come...

Move quickly oh Ye Klingon Warriors..., or forever hold yer Tribble. <chuckle>
    edited October 2011
    double post
    edited October 2011
    You're right. They want to get rid of all the Lifers.

Or more specifically the Magnificent Lifetime Subscribers.

You see, we're no longer assets, in fact we're the opposite.

If you've paid $300 for an LTS, that pays for 20 months worth of subcription. If you're a "Magnificent" Veteran, you've been playing for 600 days. You've used up your $300 worth. Some people used up their "value" sooner if they got the LTS on discount.

Add to that the 400CP/mo stipend, your strain on system resources for continued game use, etc.

Congradulations, you are now a liability.

The Bean Counters Want to Get Rid Of You!

The irony is that by getting rid of me they are also getting rid of profits.
    I was actually a pretty diligent C-Store customer, right up until the point they released the Rhode Island.
    With all this recent TRIBBLE they will most likely not see a dime from me ever again.
    edited October 2011
    Also just checked on tribble...feds got the dilithium changes to crafting...kdf did not get the changes.

just goes to show Feds got screwed and the devs favor kdf yet again.

Are you kidding? :D As several posters elsewhere point out constantly

The KDF has been getting the short straw since day one. If you're going to rage, at least rage in an informed manner. :D
    edited October 2011
    GenEricII wrote:

Cryptic is placing a real-world cash charge on crafting. ANY cash charge on crafting is UNACCEPTABLE! First this game was subscription only, now they're "saying" subscription and F2P, but everything they do shows they're waving goodbye to subscribers and charging EVERYBODY for EVERYTHING they can get away with. Gee, what a shock this is happening after the PWE acquisition. Cryptic, do you really want to listen to everything PWE is telling you? Well, you'd better hope for HUGE numbers of F2Pers with big wallets and little intelligence, because WE won't be here, NOT because we ragequit, but because YOU have made it clear WE'RE no longer needed or welcome!

Could not said it any better.

Cryptic you are really TRIBBLE up here And it looks like your taking the Final Fantasy XIV approach to MMO making. (You claim to be listening to us but your not. ) I was in Final Fantasy XIV beta and I can tell you they did the same thing not listen and look what it did. (Square-Enix has come out and said that FFXIV had harmed and tarnished the Final Fantasy name) So Cryptic stop what your doing look back and think is this a good idea are we doing whats best for the player because Word of mouth makes a game and the last thing I think you need is people telling others to stay clear of STO, :(
    edited October 2011
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    I think you missed the part in the patch that says the KDF Grind-Fest has yet to come...

Move quickly oh Ye Klingon Warriors..., or forever hold yer Tribble. <chuckle>

yes i missed it...my bad
    edited October 2011
    I vote NO, to the Dilithium Crafting Tax.....
    And NO to a reduced amount as well.
    I vote for the REMOVAL of Dilithium from crafting all together!

It WILL stop players dedicated to their fleets as Crafters, and eleminate Crafting as part of the regular economy.

It WILL stop people crafting, and people will just focus on the new STF loot tokens and Borg Salvage. So crafting, at the high marked gears, will just die.

Of course you guys will probably just start a STF Dilithium Tax everytime we wanna play an STF... "What you wanna an STF? 50k Dilithium per run please!"...

This horrble idea reaks of PW to much.

so, I close with what my wife said, when I told her about this in detail:

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Community Rules and Policies.

Well there really is no way to actually say it politely...
    edited October 2011
    Charging dilithium to craft? I craft a TON of stuff for my fleet. In fact, I hop into the game just to do that because I enjoy helping new fleet members gear up. This change is going to do nothing but hurt that.

Here's what this change does.
    1. Makes crafting higher tier item far less attractive. I don't have time to go out to do dailies every single day to collect dilithium to make the stuff for all my fleet mates. Right now, fleet members collect up anomalies and trace particles and donate them to the fleet bank. I use it to craft gear for them in return.
    2. Makes crafting far less attractive in general.
    3. Prevents new fleet members from having access to the best tier of gear available as they level up.

So, basically, you're telling me as one of the prime fleet crafters in Lotus Fleet that I'm not going to be able to help out my fleet mates anymore because I'll have to get my own dilithium by grinding, or spend real money to buy it, in order to craft for my fleet. This is astonishingly foolish.

Why don't you just skip the dilithium middle-man and just charge me 5 bucks every time I want to make a Mark XI purple Lirpa for a fleet mate?
    edited October 2011
    I have to agree with my compatriots that the dilithium "tax" with crafting is unacceptable.

I imagine it's to stop the gold crafting farmers who have flooded the in-game market with craftables, but it hurts the regular players far more. Cryptic needs to encourage crafting than forcing them to PvE in Fleet Actions for drops.
    edited October 2011
    Azurian wrote: »
    I have to agree with my compatriots that the dilithium "tax" with crafting is unacceptable.

I imagine it's to stop the gold crafting farmers who have flooded the in-game market with craftables, but it hurts the regular players far more. Cryptic needs to encourage crafting than forcing them to PvE in Fleet Actions for drops.

Ok, let us go to Boston and dump all the tribbles into the harbor.
    edited October 2011
    Wow, I was initially excited by F2P and the economy revamp. But every detail I see makes me dread it. The game is turning into a grindfest.

Crafting worked just fine as it was. It needed some more things to make, but the limitation on rare particle traces was enough to make crafting things time consuming. Adding dilithium to the mix is just ridiculous. MAYBE if if the amount was equivalent to a single mission, but this is crazy.
    edited October 2011
    Ok, let us go to Boston and dump all the tribbles into the harbor.

Boston? Lets dump all the tribbles on Qo'nos! :D
    edited October 2011
    wow
    i'm gonna say no to this dilithium crafting tax thing.
    i don't craft, yet.
    but if this change happens then i don't think i will even start.
    I mean, does anyone actually like paying taxes? i sure don't. this is almost like all those states that collected state income taxes that went bankrupt, while those that didn't, didn't go bankrupt.
    this tax, i think , will bankrupt the crafting industry in game
    edited October 2011
    boglejam wrote: »
    Not only is this change a bad idea, it makes me wonder if you guys actually converse with each other about good ideas/bad ideas to try on the players before actually trying them on the players.

On Topic: Dilithium as a crafting component is a ridiculously poor idea.
    boglejam wrote: »
    Off topic but a really odd coincidence...Asian Grind Fest was the name I was planning on using for my new cover band comprised entirely of Filipino Strippers. :D

Off Topic: Your cover band is going to be male strippers? :eek: (Filipino is masculine, Filipina is feminine) ;)
    edited October 2011
    NOO!! Not Boston, not Qonos.. Let's send a flood of disagreeable letters to:

Perfect World Entertainment Inc. (ATTN: Customer Service)
    1001 E. Hillsdale Blvd.
    Foster City, CA 94404

(As information readily available on the internet about a Corporate entity, this in no way violates the Forum Usage Guidelines.)
    edited October 2011
    I don't really comment much, just the occasional post here and there. Really more of a lurker. I'll be honest. I hate crafting. Almost as much as exploring Delta Volanis and other star clusters looking at the same base over and over or fixing some broke down generator or Pycan space moth. That being said crafting in its current form is boring to me (I know that isn't everyone's feeling) and I don't do it because it is boring and if I were to pick up every stinking particle in the galaxy I wouldn't be able to pick up good loot without returning to ESD every 30 minutes to bank the darn things. Now Cryptic has made crafting that much more undesirable. As an LTS I feel up till F2P was announced I was getting my moneys worth. I think I have crafted a hypo and a MkII rifle to date. Cryptic you really oughta rethink this one so to be honest I don't have the massive beef with this some of you more serious crafters do. However with this announcement I figure Memory Alpha ain't gonna be on my list of places to visit any time soon. Just a really bad idea Cryptic. Right up there with taking away the VA ship token. You guys say you reading these forums. It would be nice to have someone come on and say ok, we hear ya. Maybe we need to rethink a couple of things here.
    edited October 2011
    I vote NO, to the Dilithium Crafting Tax.....
    And NO to a reduced amount as well.
    I vote for the REMOVAL of Dilithium from crafting all together!

It WILL stop players dedicated to their fleets as Crafters, and eleminate Crafting as part of the regular economy.

It WILL stop people crafting, and people will just focus on the new STF loot tokens and Borg Salvage. So crafting, at the high marked gears, will just die.

Of course you guys will probably just start a STF Dilithium Tax everytime we wanna play an STF... "What you wanna an STF? 50k Dilithium per run please!"...

This horrble idea reaks of PW to much.

so, I close with what my wife said, when I told her about this in detail:

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Community Rules and Policies.

Well there really is no way to actually say it politely...

I note the devs have nothing to say about the overwhelming negativity about their latest attempt to get rid of the people who kept them having jobs for the last 2 years, but they can come in and censor a post without saying who did the censoring.

Shame on you guys.
    edited October 2011
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Community Rules and Policies. ~Stormshade
    edited October 2011
    This is stupid cryptic, crafting if it goes live like this will end. :rolleyes:

Crafting should not cost any dilithium, that was the whole point of crafting, but no, you had to turn yet more stuff in the game to a cash grabbing asian grindfest!! :mad:

No thanks :(
    edited October 2011
    Don't worry, the mythical 'new target audience' will rush in once the vocal minority of veterans have been bulldozed out.

Any time now.

Just wait.

Oh.

Now where have I heard of a game changing to suit a "new target audience" before.....hmm was it Star something????
    edited October 2011
    Crafting was already fixed and i like the new system very much. Putting in an added fee is just one more thing we have to do besides scanning dreadful anomalies. And if this does reset your crafting points you have earned I will be very displeased by the fact that all of those anomalies were wasted and I have to start a new character to make the crafting bearable.
    edited October 2011
    If you want to "revamp" crafting then you should add more complexity. Give anomalies varying "qualities"(low, medium, high, etc) that effect the stats. Allow people to experiment with a chance of losing their resources or a chance of getting bonus stats. Allow people to reverse engineer junk loot for anomalies. That is a "revamp". This is just another money grab.
    edited October 2011
    Shakkar wrote: »
    I note the devs have nothing to say about the overwhelming negativity about their latest attempt to get rid of the people who kept them having jobs for the last 2 years, but they can come in and censor a post without saying who did the censoring.

Shame on you guys.

Reread ... he did that himself... it was a joke. <chuckle>
    edited October 2011
    I have played some of the top MMO's on the market amd used their crafting systems. Some are good, some great. This change to STO is neither of those descrptions. I would suggest you review their model see how bad this change really is. In fact, I really encourage you to do just that ....
    edited October 2011
    Now where have I heard of a game changing to suit a "new target audience" before.....hmm was it Star something????

LOL..yeah, the same MMO that made the "easy mode roll your face over the keyboard" decision on 11-15-05 and now is the same MMO that is shutting down on 12-15-11...epic decision making on thier part for sure :D