What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Welcome to the F2P Q&A

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    I just want to welcome the move to Free to play....

Im sorry what others say but i need to say this... It got me so interested that ive just subscribed, See it works and it isnt even free yet!!
    And will continue subscribed and lets see how it goes
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Enforcer01 wrote: »
    Say i have a full bank and full inv slots with loads of credits :) and i decide to unsub for a while, do i lose some of these items when the account goes to a silver account due to the limited size of banks and inv space?
    Q: If I decide to downgrade from Gold to Silver, what happens to all my stuff?Top
    Characters will remain when switching from Gold to Silver. However, players will not be able to play them until either they re-upgrade to Gold or convert them individually into Silver characters in-game. The exact conversion process is still being determined. Please note that we never delete character data. If a Gold Member cancels his or her subscription and decides to restart it at a later date, all of that Member's characters and associated items will be intact.

They will be there if you start your subscription again... your inventory items.. your credits wont be affected
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Is there enough of a difference between Silver and Gold memberships to make it worth the cost of a monthly subscription?

I have been a loyal monthly subscriber for well over a year and had planned on continuing to pay or even upgrade to a lifetime subscription when the F2P announcement was made. Unfortunately, I feel there is not enough incentive to continue paying to play. I believe the monthly stipend needs to be increased substantially or the monthly fees need to be decreased. I love this game and would like to continue to support it financially but i don't feel there is any substantial reason to do so if I can get the same content for free.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Ok, too many posts saying both yes and no and could not find a concrete answer from a Dev, only that they aren't taking away the ability, but not if they will now have to earn it.

Will Lifetime subscribers retain the ability to create a New Liberated Borg, or will they have to follow the as stated route of "earned thru other means" after F2P changes?
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Ashur1 wrote:
    Nothing in the FAQ says anyone will lose anything. The mention of the Liberated Borg isn´t clear. Other means = lifetime. :)

Which would mean nothing changes, which begs the question, why mention it at all if the method of acquisition is not changing?
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    From what I understand, they will still be selling Subs and LTS even after F2P starts. (Correct me if I am wrong on this point)

Other than the Cryptic Points being offered to Subs and LTS, it seems that F2P'ers will have access to almost everything in game in one way or another.

If that is the case, why is it worth being a Sub'er or LTS?

If they still want to sell subscriptions, then they have to make them stand out so much that people would be encouraged to purchase them. If players can basically get the same thing through buying Cryptic Points, then what is the purpose of still providing subs?

In the long-term, after going F2P, I have no problem with anyone gaining access to everything in-game regardless of sub status. However, for the short term, there almost needs be two or three distinct classes of players. I am not suggesting game-breaking differences, but something more than a Liberated Borg BO and Points.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    I am a LTS since before the game launched. I have 5 char slots but only use 3 atm. All 3 are feds. I started a klingon but was disappointed and deleted it. Will I lose my other 2 slots when f2p launch? What will happen to my one fed captain? According to tha f2p matrix gold only have 3 char slots 1 fed, 1 klink and 1 for both. I didnt buy any extra slots, had the 5 slots since the beginning.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Bugsington wrote:
    From what I understand, they will still be selling Subs and LTS even after F2P starts. (Correct me if I am wrong on this point)

Other than the Cryptic Points being offered to Subs and LTS, it seems that F2P'ers will have access to almost everything in game in one way or another.

If they still want to sell subscriptions, then they have to make them stand out so much that people would be encouraged to purchase them. If players can basically get the same thing through buying Cryptic Points, then what is the purpose of still providing subs?

In the long-term, after going F2P, I have no problem with anyone gaining access to everything in-game regardless of sub status. However, for the short term, there almost needs be two or three distinct classes of players. I am not suggesting game-breaking differences, but something more than a Liberated Borg BO and Points.

^Many times this! It's *because* the pot was so sweet that I subbed in Champions Online post-F2P, and I *still* use the C-Store a lot there. I even pay money C-Points *on top* of my 400/month stipend to get things. Champoins did it right. I'm not sure why it seems to be so hard for STO.

Silvers should be an unlimited mission content demo with C-Store access, with the option to subscribe. Not because they simply can, but because they would see the value in it. I guarantee that, despite giving stuff to Glod you would otherwise sell, people would still use the C-Store *a lot.*
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Ghostspock wrote: »
    I am a LTS since before the game launched. I have 5 char slots but only use 3 atm. All 3 are feds. I started a klingon but was disappointed and deleted it. Will I lose my other 2 slots when f2p launch? What will happen to my one fed captain? According to tha f2p matrix gold only have 3 char slots 1 fed, 1 klink and 1 for both. I didnt buy any extra slots, had the 5 slots since the beginning.

If you are LTS you have to have 6 char slots:

• 3 char slots comes with a game
    • 2 for being LTS
    • and 1 slots you got as 300 Days veteran reward
    So, if you missing 1 veteran reward slot no worries it's just a bug ( firstly i got the reward but then char just disappeared, wrote a bug ticket and eventually got it back :) )

Now for your inquiry, frankly i don't working for cryptic so i'm not 100% reliable source but, according STO F2P FAQ you will not lose anything:
    Q: I'm currently a regular or Lifetime subscriber to Star Trek Online. Where do I fit in?

Regular subscribers become Gold Members automatically. Subscribers are charged a regular fee based on one of the several subscription options they have chosen. Lifetime subscribers, also Gold Members, are those players who have opted to pay a single one-time fee for Gold Membership.

If you stop subscribing, you become a Silver Player. If you have characters that use Gold features, you will be unable to play them as a Silver Player until they are converted.

Lifetime subscribers also become Gold Members automatically and will not be charged a continuing subscription fee. Basically, nothing changes for Lifetime subscribers: They continue to have complete access to the same content, items and episodes the way they always have.

Q: I’m a loyal subscriber. What will happen to my Veteran Rewards?

Veteran Rewards will remain in place for subscribers. Those who have earned these rewards will be able to keep them. These rewards are only available to players who choose to subscribe to Star Trek Online. For more information regarding Veteran Rewards, please see our Veteran Rewards page.[/COLOR][/U]
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    PRtrek wrote: »
    Is there enough of a difference between Silver and Gold memberships to make it worth the cost of a monthly subscription?

I have been a loyal monthly subscriber for well over a year and had planned on continuing to pay or even upgrade to a lifetime subscription when the F2P announcement was made. Unfortunately, I feel there is not enough incentive to continue paying to play. I believe the monthly stipend needs to be increased substantially or the monthly fees need to be decreased. I love this game and would like to continue to support it financially but i don't feel there is any substantial reason to do so if I can get the same content for free.

I agree with this,it sticks too close to the C.O Model while STO Gameplay allows a more,much more elaborated Differentiation scheme..Think about it twice before you open the Gate,There is no way back.
    IMO,the rule of thumb is:If doesn't affect the gameplay at some point,It makes no difference.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    The difference is lifers paid upfront. Showing their backing, bringing the extra capital to cryptic to keep improving the game.

that is not a difference. you paid the same amount as everyone else and then expect special treatment.
    Also, how do you figure it's "considerably less"
    Well, I can tell you, I've spent at least twice that in the cstore, so again, we've both contributed to this game.[/quote]

I am referring to subscription fees, therefore your argument is invalid. if you can't see how a lifetime subscriber is only required to pay at most $300 and therefore will pay considerably fewer sub fees over the life of the game you need to take another look.
    You fence-sitters, er.. monthly subscribers, decided to pay as you go

so you resort to insults and 'yay i'm better than you because I paid $300 up front!!' elitism. it doesn't help your case.
    its not a lie please learn the meaning of the word before you use it.

and 2nd untill they deny or confirm its the truth or at least lingo balance.

no it was a lie. as others have already told you in several other posts. even if liberated borg are being made available to others that does not mean you are losing them. you still have the same ability to create one. hence you have lost nothing.
    we will lose some of the benefits of life memberships.

the benefit of the lifetime membership is never paying again. and you still aren't losing anything.
    Lifers may not lose anything but what concerns me is that they don't gain anything subtantial either. At present there is nothing to demonstrate their value or reward their loyalty for spending such a premium for this game, which has ultimately helped lead it to this financially beneficial point for Cryptic.

they aren't supposed to gain anything substantial. a lifetime membership is a lifetime membership. thats the purpose behind buying it
    It seems like a stupid question, but seriously, my main horror is the new "clientele" that F2P always brings in.

I see alot of people claim this despite the fact it has no basis in reality
    Will Lifetime subscribers retain the ability to create a New Liberated Borg, or will they have to follow the as stated route of "earned thru other means" after F2P changes?

current users keep what they already have. liberated borg characters are not removed from lifetime accounts. this has already been made clear
    Silvers should be an unlimited mission content demo with C-Store access

no, because by its very concept that is not free to play. free to play makes more money than subscriptions from microtransaction sales, therefore its in the best interest of cryptic leave silvers as they are to attract more people. more people = more transactions = more money. its the whole 'it takes money to make money' concept
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Any chance that you guys can make the feedback board available to free players? Or at least retail key but no active subscription players?

As you might have noticed, the Free to Play feedback board is extremely one sided and only provides feedback from the angle of people who are subscribed when a free to play model is supposed to support both subscribers and free players.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    No need to cut from Silver,just add to Gold.The whole MMO buisness is about Buff and DeBuff right?
    So nothing special here:-Subs would be presented as an Elite Group within the Federation or whatever,a "Mini Faction" that has received a special training Bla Bla Bla...and get unique abilities such as:
    Stats Modifier +20%
    -Universal Weapon Augmentation::+ 20% Crit Severity
    + 20% Crit Rate
    -+ 20 to your score anytime you roll the dice.
    Now whether these modifiers apply in PvP or not,that's a diiferent story,I'd say yes,but it's questionable .
    Again those are just Buffs,whether you want them or not,it's up to you,but THAT,would actually make a Difference Ingame.Now if ppl are right and Subs don't add anything in a F2P model,K then....
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Any chance that you guys can make the feedback board available to free players? Or at least retail key but no active subscription players?

As you might have noticed, the Free to Play feedback board is extremely one sided and only provides feedback from the angle of people who are subscribed when a free to play model is supposed to support both subscribers and free players.

If Silvers buy something in the C-Store, play for a total of 20 hours, or sub for a month, then chat, forums and fleet creation access all get unlocked. :)

I have no problem with how Silver accounts will be set up, other than maybe restrict the right to rate Foundry missions until certain criteria be met.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    At the moment, there isn't much of an incentive to stay subbed beyond my character slots and extra bag space. Both of these could be resolved in my first month or two of going F2P simply by spending my £10 per month in the c-store instead of on my subscription.

I've seen some good suggestions in here to make the subscription side of things a bit more attractive:

An extra couple of character slots would be good. Maybe 5 in total, plus whatever extras you get from LTS or vet rewards.
    Extra races/costumes. Have them in the c-store for silver members, but allow them in-game for gold members.
    Extra c-store stipend. 400 points per month just doesn't seem much when I could get 1200 for the same amount of cash, and the other rewards just don't seem to make it worth it.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Bugsington wrote:

The biggest thing I've seen touted in interviews is the lack of silvers having access to creating Foundry missions. From people I've talked to and from the massive amount of content generated in the Foundry from users, that is a big portion of STO right now. Silvers can play, but Cryptic is hoping that once silvers play some of the Foundry content, they will want to create their own. And to do so, they have to subscribe. That is probably the biggest catch in all of this. As a father of 3 young kids who works 40 hours a week, I myself haven't had time to create anything, but its a nice option if I ever get an idea. There may be some silver players who have ideas and decided to pay $15 a month to write missions. I do agree, that maybe another 1 or two character slots or more "free" costumes for subscribers would be a bonus, but I think the Foundry is really what Cryptic is banking on enticing people to pay up. That and the micro-transactions in the c-store. On a side note, if "gold" people are going to play this game more than 20 months, you may as well cough up the $300 for LTS. I knew I would play on and off forever, so I bit the bullet and paid up. Because once you get to month 21, you will then have paid more than the LTS. I think I played monthly for about 4 months and then signed up for LTS. Just makes more sense in the long run.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    I see a lot of questions but no answers so far. All my major questions have been asked by others already in this thread so I see no need to re ask them but i would appreciate some answers since this is a Q&A started by a dev.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Zanshi wrote: »
    If Silvers buy something in the C-Store, play for a total of 20 hours, or sub for a month, then chat, forums and fleet creation access all get unlocked. :)

I have no problem with how Silver accounts will be set up, other than maybe restrict the right to rate Foundry missions until certain criteria be met.

I know that. And I know I won't be affected when we do go free to play.

But I mean BEFORE we go Free to Play so that potential free players can pitch in their ideas and feedback before launch.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Xianhua wrote:
    Will life time subscribers lose their unique liberated Borg captains once STO goes FTP? I have heard people mention that it will be placed in the C store as a species purchase.

Nope, From what I been reading from the Devs elswhere, Liberated Borg will still be "Exclusive" to Lifetime members only, the "Other Means" they were refering to in the case of Liberated Borg was for Lifetime Subscribers.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    hey I'm curious if when my friends join free to play if I could create a guild get my f2p friends can join a guild I created
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    hey I'm curious if when my friends join free to play if I could create a guild get my f2p friends can join a guild I created

SIlver accounts can join a guild yes
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Just got a serious question now. Silver account says your only able to hold 2! character slots. I got 12 characters now. Will they just be removed or will you be able to play them all? I really spent hundreds of hours with the game and played with a lot of passion/ fun. I would really appreciate if that will change in any way.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    M3w wrote:
    Just got a serious question now. Silver account says your only able to hold 2! character slots. I got 12 characters now. Will they just be removed or will you be able to play them all? I really spent hundreds of hours with the game and played with a lot of passion/ fun. I would really appreciate if that will change in any way.

If the slots were obtained via the vet rewards or the C-Store, no.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Zanshi wrote: »
    If the slots were obtained via the vet rewards or the C-Store, no.

Okay thanks for the info. Some others were concerned as well just wanted to be 100% sure. And yea characters were purchased from c-store and veteran :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    When we get Department Heads/First Officer, can silver not have "Promotable First Officer"?
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    I can't get with free to play has I feel to much is unlocked for them.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    excuse me if this is allready answered,but how high/low will the energy credit limit for f2p users be?
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Sir_Mafia wrote:
    excuse me if this is allready answered,but how high/low will the energy credit limit for f2p users be?

Sadly, the credit cap has not been specified. I think that is currently being debated.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    When the monthly c-store stipend begins, will c-store points be interchangeable between STO and CO?
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Now that Cryptic is part of PW, will I be able to use Perfect World Cashcards, that are easily found in mini marts, walmarts, target, and other gaming/technology stores to use for my subscription instead of having to bill my credit card?
This discussion has been closed.