Install Arc
Options

Welcome to the F2P Q&A

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    In the FAQ it states:

I've seen nothing to suggest that this exclusive feature would be available for others though.

"Q: Will there be any changes to the C-Store now that STO is going free-to-play?Top

Yes. We'll be reviewing the content and prices of goods on offer in the C-store. This includes prices for ships at all tiers. There are currently no plans to increase the price of any premium ship. For now, we know that some previously purchasable playable species will soon be free (Ferengi, Rigelian, Pakled, Tellarite), and others (Liberated Borg, Joined Trill, Federation Klingons) will be earned through other means. If you have already unlocked access to any C-store items, including playable species, you will retain that access in the free-to-play transition."

http://www.startrekonline.com/f2p_faq
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    No, it doesn't.
    I have 8 characters.
    Gold limit is 3 by default.
    I have purchased 4 more cgaracter slots.
    Is my last character going to be deleted?

And if you buy the game now you get three character slots. Gold accounts are no different and of course you're not going to lose extra slots whether you brought them or unlocked them in another fashion.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    What will happen to the owners of gametime cards?
    Will the cards expire when STO goes F2P?
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    In the FAQ it states:
    Quote:
    Lifetime subscribers also become Gold Members automatically and will not be charged a continuing subscription fee. Basically, nothing changes for Lifetime subscribers: They continue to have complete access to the same content, items and episodes the way they always have.

I've seen nothing to suggest that this exclusive feature would be available for others though.

Elsewhere in the FAQ it says
    Q: Will there be any changes to the C-Store now that STO is going free-to-play?Top

Yes. We'll be reviewing the content and prices of goods on offer in the C-store. This includes prices for ships at all tiers. There are currently no plans to increase the price of any premium ship. For now, we know that some previously purchasable playable species will soon be free (Ferengi, Rigelian, Pakled, Tellarite), and others (Liberated Borg, Joined Trill, Federation Klingons) will be earned through other means. If you have already unlocked access to any C-store items, including playable species, you will retain that access in the free-to-play transition.
    Hawks wrote:
    I imagine they'd be used to make you a Gold player for whatever amount of time.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Hawks wrote: »
    Gametime cards are the equivalent of a 'subscription'... No doubt they will still be sold for players who want 'Gold Subscription' status...
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Answered in FAQ, nm.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    It says for both gold and silver that Klingon play is unlocked at level 25 -- it was originally 5 and (presumably) reduced to after the Fed tutorial (level 1) with Season 4. Is this actually the plan to increase it -- such a high level to unlock (when Stahl himself says that most players have never even gotten to level 21) would seem to really reduce the ratio of Federation players to Klingon players (which the latter at last count were only 18%).

I really think that was a bombshell about the Klingon gameplay. I find it quite alarming. We had been told for months that there was going to be a Klingon tutorial and eventually there would be no requirement to level a Federation character in order to play a Klingon. Now, there will be a 25 level Federation entry fee for Klingons, and if I'm interpreting the PvP comments of the FAQ correctly, Klingons will start on a much higher level now. The plans for Klingons beg for more answers now, and in fact, it could use its own FAQ. What we have been told is way too vague.

My questions:
    1. How is this intended to help the Klingon faction?
    2. How will this not just encourage more players to play Federation characters and stick with it?
    3. What is going to happen with lower level Klingon ships since many of them won't be needed in this plan?
    4. Please don't take this question as argumentative, but is lopping off half of a Klingon players levels a way to justify not offering them as many levels?
    5. This would seem to eliminate the need to remaster early Federation missions to be told from a Klingon perspective. Is there still a plan to remaster episodes for Klingons?
    6. When can we expect this future Klingon update? Season 5?
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    I appreciate an official answer here as I have 2 unused cards left and wonder what to do with them.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    My questions are as followes:

1. Is this stipend going be the same as champions at 400? I think it should be higher since that 400 is less than 5.00 worth of tokens and you are paying 15.00 a month for subscription. Nice way for me to ask about this is because I know you guys mean well but if you look at it just from tokens perspective if the game is technically free to play and you are paying 15.00 a month thats 1200 worth of tokens so for a 2000 token ship would take you 5 months to get off stipends so instead of a ship like that costing you 20-25 dollars it is now actually costing you around 75-80 dollars. Honestly thought the CO format for subscription is just to get the fluff costumes and to avoid the annoying advertisements and I know you have to make money but I would suggest putting things into the STO F2P that are worth the money to spend on it.

2. If there is a cap on character slots and say for instance I have 13-14 slots right now and say I need to use the money for something else for that month will any of my characters be deleted, or will I be stuck with only being able to play a few select characters that the system allows me too?
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    - What will the LTA stippend be?
    STO's C-Store Items seem more expensive than the ones in CO's... i hope it's a bit more than 400?

- Was there any talk of the Tier x.5 Ships to be free for Subscribers but C-Store Items for F2P-Players?
    I think that is the perfect example where the line should be drawn between subscription content and F2P-Items.
    (there has to be some incentive to subscribe after all, i'd call more Ships a good one.)

- Will we get a new Homepage / Forum from Perfect World, or will we keep the default Atari Layout (for example TDU2 Forum and Homepage use pretty much the same look, just other pictures.)
    - for that matter will a france + german forum return to the Forum?
    at least one general Forum and one for Player to Player Support would be needed (no need for 20 sub forums)

- Will there be proper german / france etc. translations for the game once F2P hits?
    -> that would be kind of important for the *second first impression* in other countries.
    in the STOGerman chat channel there is daily talk about the unfinished translation.

- In that Conference Call that leaked the info about F2P, there was a line about bringing Cryptic games to Asia,
    will you still use the US Server for that?
    Any talk about an EU Server for that matter?
    ...i like beeing able to play with everyone
    ...but i'd also like a good ping to the server very much
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    A bit underwhelming to be honest - I feel Champions Gold members get a much better deal at the minute, but that's partly due to how much of STO was already being sold via C-Store.

Thoughts and requests?

Klingon Play - now I can't see why this has been moved to unlock at 25 anyway, but surely paid players should be able to unlock it at 6 like they can now? That seems a bit crazy.

Classes - Lock silver classes to their corresponding class - ala archetypes in Champions. Leave the freedom of build to those of us who pay each month.

Default Species - perhaps limit to founding members tor silver - Human, Vulcan, Andorian (not tellarite as that's already pay to play) this would give a more realistic view of what's in Star Trek too as a bonus)

Character slots - an extra slot for paid players would not hurt at all. Gold subscribers in champions get 8, silvers get 2. We get 3/2 - that seems broken in relative value.

Bridge officer slots - sure.

Inventory - fine.

Retrain tokens - again fine.

Foundry limits - good - a nice limit for non paying.

Stipend of course nice, would be great to call it a round 500 though :)

Just my two cents - I just feel that there's little reason to subscribe over free.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Q: Will there be any changes to the C-Store now that STO is going free-to-play?Top

Yes. We'll be reviewing the content and prices of goods on offer in the C-store. This includes prices for ships at all tiers. There are currently no plans to increase the price of any premium ship. For now, we know that some previously purchasable playable species will soon be free (Ferengi, Rigelian, Pakled, Tellarite), and others (Liberated Borg, Joined Trill, Federation Klingons) will be earned through other means. If you have already unlocked access to any C-store items, including playable species, you will retain that access in the free-to-play transition.

- And what about players who bought some species already?? :mad:
    - Can i get a refund on that? :mad:
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Powerhelm wrote: »
    Will my CO stipend points go into a cross-game pool with my STO stipend points or will I still be forced to spend them only in one game or the other?

They answered that one long ago on Champions. There are 3 types of points: CO points, STO points, and c-store points. You can use stipened or future reward points in either game only for that game, but C-store points can be used in either.

Too answer the other question ppl may have, when you spend points and you have both types, it pulls from the game-specific points first.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    1. Why is the KDF Faction being level locked, as in a detailed answer, not a short sweet one for the FAQ

2. Are these "Promotion Points" Cryptic points, if not, why not?

3. The Gold Character slot count is being decreased, will we lose a character? why is it being lowered instead of increasing?

4. Why the shift from every 100 day vet rewards to now 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 750, 1000 when:
    dstahl wrote: »
    There will be 600 Day Vet Rewards available on or around Sept 9. I dont' have all the details but it is a new title (Magnificent) along with a few freebie items.

5. With the Captains table now becoming a Lifer and Veteren Payer only zone, will we see actual use given to it?

6. What will happen to low level KDF Ships?

7. Will foundry author gold members be able to purchase more slots?

8. Will foundry authors who go silver still be able to edit their current missions that have been published, or at least be able to take them down?

9. Explain unlimited customer service

10. Why are a number of small things (character slots, costume slots) basicly the same between the two styles here on STO, while in CO, they are vastly different? In CO Gold get 8 character slots, silver gets 2. In STO Gold gets 3, Silver gets 2?

11. Will we gain the ability to create custom career tracks like CO has custom Archetypes? For example, creating a true Combat Engineer, or Combat Medic by combining tactical and science or tactical and engineering skills?
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Z3R0B4NG wrote: »
    - What will the LTA stippend be?
    STO's C-Store Items seem more expensive than the ones in CO's... i hope it's a bit more than 400?
    Depends on what you look at. character slots are hella cheaper in STO.
    I think costume slots were cheaper too, but I don't remember.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    I have a couple of questions on this part of the Q&A of F2P:
    "Q: Will there be any changes to the C-Store now that STO is going free-to-play?Top

Yes. We'll be reviewing the content and prices of goods on offer in the C-store. This includes prices for ships at all tiers. There are currently no plans to increase the price of any premium ship. For now, we know that some previously purchasable playable species will soon be free (Ferengi, Rigelian, Pakled, Tellarite), and others (Liberated Borg, Joined Trill, Federation Klingons) will be earned through other means. If you have already unlocked access to any C-store items, including playable species, you will retain that access in the free-to-play transition."
    1) Does this mean that the Liberated Borg will become open to monthly subscribers and free? One of the high selling points for a lifetime subscription other then the fact of no more subscribtion fees is access to the Borg character.

2) If I bought the Ferengi, Klingon and Joined Trill species, since their obtained now by "other means" wouldn't this mean I lost money from buying these?

Furthermore, what is the difference in characters between a Gold and Silver membship? I keep reading that for players who are Gold members that go down to silver must convert the character and cannot use Gold member features, what are they?

And vet rewards, in the post it says the next Vet reward is 750 but, recently it was announced that a 600 day reward is comming this week so, what and when are the next vetern rewards?

Also I like to point out that 400 points is good but. that only pays for like a new uniform or two per month. Most teir 5 ships and other really cool stuff (ie ship interiors) are over 1200 points.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Pre-Launch Lifetime subs offered +2 character slots. Guess we will keep them, right?
    If so I recommend you add it to the faq and/or matrix.

PS: It was answered after I posted this. Yes, you keep them.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Here's why:
    Q: What effect will the Klingon Changes have on PvP?Top
    Low level Klingon vs. Federation PvP queues will be temporarily removed. However, Federation vs. Federation PvP will still be possible. Klingon vs. Federation PvP will become available at the same rank that Klingons begin

Forget it. I have been here since beta and PvP continually gets screwed-up by Cryptic.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    No, it doesn't.
    I have 8 characters.
    Gold limit is 3 by default.
    I have purchased 4 more cgaracter slots.
    Is my last character going to be deleted?

if you purchased those extra slots you will not loose them.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    They answered that one long ago on Champions. There are 3 types of points: CO points, STO points, and c-store points. You can use stipened or future reward points in either game only for that game, but C-store points can be used in either.

Too answer the other question ppl may have, when you spend points and you have both types, it pulls from the game-specific points first.

People keep telling me this but this answer was specifically given regarding stipend points in CO back when STO would NOT be f2p. Times and things have changed a great deal since then which means this question needs to be answered again as that previous answer has most likely changed.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Zeuxidemus wrote:
    1. Is this stipend going be the same as champions at 400? I think it should be higher since that 400 is less than 5.00 worth of tokens and you are paying 15.00 a month for subscription. Nice way for me to ask about this is because I know you guys mean well but if you look at it just from tokens perspective if the game is technically free to play and you are paying 15.00 a month thats 1200 worth of tokens so for a 2000 token ship would take you 5 months to get off stipends so instead of a ship like that costing you 20-25 dollars it is now actually costing you around 75-80 dollars. Honestly thought the CO format for subscription is just to get the fluff costumes and to avoid the annoying advertisements and I know you have to make money but I would suggest putting things into the STO F2P that are worth the money to spend on it.

I'm not following your logic at all. Free is free, it doesn't change the price of anything except to make it cheaper. Just because CO gives you more free doesn't actually make free any more or less valuable, it being, well... *free*.

It certainly doesn't make things that are *not* free more expensive, all it can do is make it cheaper - after all you get no free points for $15 now, vs those same $15 giving you 400 free points after. That makes any purchase you made this month cost 400 more points than it would after they start giving you free points.

BTW, 400 points is NOT less than $5.00, it's exactly $5.00 ($6.25 = 500 points, 80 points per $1 = 400 per $5), so I'm not sure what your point was to begin with...
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    I would suggest that Dstahl not wait to start answering these questions in some big Answer post at a later date. I would suggest he spend a day, or so, answering them now and then simply compiling them for others to reference. That way all misconceptions can be cleared up before they get warped by the posts of the masses.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Pfft, all this whining about the Klingons.

Look, this is what it says:

Klingons will not unlock until level 25, and those characters will start at level 25.

They currently are unlocked/start at 6, yes.

THIS WILL CHANGE.

The part about 'low fvk pvp queues will be temporarily removed.

What part of 'this is not a permanent change' don't you guys get?

It's quite simple, AFAICT- they're making these changes so that making a Klingon character and leveling him up is easier during the period of time that exists before they release additional Klingon faction content to make leveling from lower level (below 25) not such a ridiculous grind.

I don't know how you guys can see 'temporary' and think 'THIS IS FOREVER, IT'S RAGEQUITTING TIME!'
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Since I forgot it earlier

12. Where there be retroactive rewards for those of us faithful enough to keep subscribing up to the point where F2P starts and continue to do so now that F2P has been given?
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    can you clarify the bo slots on the matrix. Its says that gold get 2 additional bo slots per rank and silver don’t get any. I can read that as gold would get 2 more slots per rank then we get now and sliver would just the standard amount of slots we get now.

if the upper version is right would this then mean current toons we at va1 now would retroactively get more slots when the game goes f2p?

I can also read it like gold accounts get the same amount of bo’s while ranking up we get now, because I can’t remember how many we get by va. While silver account would get no more bo slots beyond 3 they got in the tutorial without paying for them.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    It seems to me from the wording that all existing Klingons will get a level bump to 25 (probably similar to how everyone was bumped during beta when the entry point was level 10), and that low-level PvP will return once they have the Klingons fleshed out enough to make them viable as a fully playable race. Could be wrong, but that's how it sounds to me.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    So I took a look at the F2P FAQ's, and I have a couple questions, concerns, and general comments...

1) The KDF faction unlocking at level 25 at the release of F2P is I assume to, resolve, the issue they have of non-pvp story related missions, until it is actually resolved with the addition of more story content, at which time that unlock level will lower again, maybe yes? maybe no?

2) Will there be a possibility of 'custom' classes? i.e. you can choose 'Custom Class' and theoretically put points into any of the three classes skills? Or maybe have a choice of two of the three?

3) It says Premium Playable Species are Unlockable, not specifically Purchasable, does this mean that there is or might be a plan to earn them in-game, other than grinding dilithium to convert to c-points, or whatever schema you have set up for that currently?

4) Only 1 extra character slot for monthly and lifetime subbers? I think 3 extra, minimum would be appropriate, since that's what you currently give subscribers IIRC, 5 by default.

5) The additional Bridge Officer Slots section seems a little, bland in description for what that means for non-subbers, they'll only get 4 BO's if/when they hit VA?

6) The help callout for the Veteran Rewards doesn't mention a 600 day reward, is that being axed/moved to 750?

7) The Limited and Unlimited Customer Service difference isn't one at the moment as far as I know, is there a plan for that thanks to PW funds? Will we actually have a CS group we can utilize?

8) Will the Captain's Table get some love out of this? As in will become a more, exclusive and usable, hangout once again? i.e full sets of vendors, tailors, other Spacedock amenities?
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Kerrus wrote: »
    Pfft, all this whining about the Klingons.

Look, this is what it says:

Klingons will not unlock until level 25, and those characters will start at level 25.

They currently are unlocked/start at 6, yes.

THIS WILL CHANGE.

The part about 'low fvk pvp queues will be temporarily removed.

What part of 'this is not a permanent change' don't you guys get?

It's quite simple, AFAICT- they're making these changes so that making a Klingon character and leveling him up is easier during the period of time that exists before they release additional Klingon faction content to make leveling from lower level (below 25) not such a ridiculous grind.

I don't know how you guys can see 'temporary' and think 'THIS IS FOREVER, IT'S RAGEQUITTING TIME!'

You can be condescending all you want, but I've learned not to make assumptions on behalf of Cryptic. I'm hoping the desire to release full-fledged content for the KDF means they are going to go back and make full content from level one and up, but they haven't said that is what they are going to do. I'd like them to answer what "full fledged" content means and when they plan on doing it. "At a later date" could mean season 5. It could also mean season 7 or later.

Personally, I had hoped they were going to announce that with F2P, they were going to release a new tutorial for both factions and allow new players to start as a member of the KDF at level one. I was hoping that would be part of the "great things" they planned on announcing this week. That would allow new players to come in and try out the KDF right off the bat instead of having to play a Federation player at all.

Instead, they have raised the bar on making new Klingon characters higher with the carrot of a later update that will flesh out the Klingon experience at some later date. At one point back in March, half the Dev team was working on Klingon content, or so they say. There were a bunch of things for Klingons coming that didn't get released and were instead temporarily postponed. Now it seems, once again, Klingon development has been pushed back. So, call me skeptical, but I find this announcement unsatisfying.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Maybe someone that plays CO can answer this question:

Will i get the monthly stipend, regardless if i log in to play?
    Say, real life has me not being allowed to play for 3 months.
    In that three months, will 1200 C-Points have been added to my account or did i need to login monthly to collect the 400 monthly stipend?
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Maybe someone that plays CO can answer this question:

Will i get the monthly stipend, regardless if i log in to play?
    Say, real life has me not being allowed to play for 3 months.
    In that three months, will 1200 C-Points have been added to my account or did i need to login monthly to collect the 400 monthly stipend?

If it's like CO is then the answer to that is yes. Since you are a lifer you're considered to be subscribed all the time, so just like your veteran status (and rewards) continue to accrue even if you don't log in, so will your c-store stipend.
This discussion has been closed.