test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Back in the 80's...

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Just like the Space Shuttle :)

Or a WWII warship with turrets that by themselves weighed more than some destroyers. At least in Anime.
    edited April 2011
    Or a WWII warship with turrets that by themselves weighed more than some destroyers. At least in Anime.

Yamato and Musashi's main turrets were like that. In fact when they were firest delievered their secondary weapons were actually taken off of old destroyers. But then most of these were replaced once the IJN figured out that the Pacific War was going to be mostly an air war vice a naval war
    edited April 2011
    Capulet wrote: »
    BBS boards. Oh the days before internet. :eek: wait that was dark times.

What dark times - I was a Co-Sysop on a popular local Los Angeles area BBS called Merchants of Wonder for a good 3 years. ;)

And you had fun games on the BBSes too - like Muntants, Trade Wars, Blademaster (at least they were all available with the Galacticom BBS software.) Pre public internet access and MMOs, these WERE the social multiplayer games of the day. ;)
    edited April 2011
    I had a roomate in teh Navy barracks that almost got me kicked out of the Navy because of a BBS. We were in Groton, CT and he was perusing a BBS in COlorado for 8 hours a night every night. and the phone was in my name! It took me a long while to explain to my command what a BBS was and why my roomate should be made to pay for it. ended up transfering the phone account to his name. still owed me money after all that!
    edited April 2011
    seriously? lol!!

anyone play raptor call of the shadows? I recall when my parrents got the 486 with a color printer and a cd rom drive that was connected to the sound card with 14 4 modem then a 56k external...we had some x wing game where had a book and every time you played it asked for a code on a page and ya had to get it out and find the code....ahh good ol days...though I think that was technically early 90's like 92 or 93 or something
    edited April 2011
    I'm just gonna leave this 80's and Airplane related video right here...

That was some clean, crisp animation with those aircraft...lets see if I can name what was in there:
    F-8 Crusader
    F-14D Super Tomcat
    F-4 Phantom
    AV-8 Harrier II
    A-7 Corsair II
    A-4 Skyhawk
    F-16 Falcon

Rest I am not too sure on, though a couple are probably MiGs (probably MiG-27 Flogger and a MiG-21 Fishbed)
    edited April 2011
    I had a roomate in teh Navy barracks that almost got me kicked out of the Navy because of a BBS. We were in Groton, CT and he was perusing a BBS in COlorado for 8 hours a night every night. and the phone was in my name! It took me a long while to explain to my command what a BBS was and why my roomate should be made to pay for it. ended up transfering the phone account to his name. still owed me money after all that!

LOL,
    When were you in Groton? I was TAD there a couple of times back in 92-93.
    edited April 2011
    Vrano wrote:
    LOL,
    When were you in Groton? I was TAD there a couple of times back in 92-93.

I was technically in Groton from Nov 95 to Nov 96 on the USS Groton. But between deployments, weekly ops and our CO's desire to suck up to his squadron commander we were only import about a month and a half and never for more than three weeks at a time. Decommed her in Maine during the next year.
    edited April 2011
    Just like the Space Shuttle :)

Actually...The Shuttle doesn't fly. It glides....barely. It's not capable of true atmospheric flight on it's own....so it's more accurately a controlled fall.
    edited April 2011
    My point was like the F4 phantom, it's engines are why it's able to fly as fast as it can. Otherwise it would just be a brick for liftoff. On landing, you not much of a glider either. The astronauts call it a flying brick also.
    edited April 2011
    My point was like the F4 phantom, it's engines are why it's able to fly as fast as it can. Otherwise it would just be a brick for liftoff. On landing, you not much of a glider either. The astronauts call it a flying brick also.

At least with an F4 and other planes....they can gun it and come around for another pass....The shuttle can't. When they are on approach...they have no choice but to set it down the first time
    edited April 2011
    Ok, ok...
    back to 80's stuff...who here remembers these:
    The Muppet Movie ('79, but close enough)
    The Great Muppet Caper ('81)
    The Muppets Take Manhattan ('84)

Of course, I am leaving out the Muppet movies post '80s, as this is, afterall, a thread about the 80's.
    edited April 2011
    This thread is a lie, nobody was alive in the 80's except the dinosaurs and we all know how that story ended...

No, my kids do not consider me a dinosaur. And I still am taking guitar lessons to learn that which I did not learn when I was younger.:p
    edited April 2011
    Fencer8 wrote: »
    No, my kids do not consider me a dinosaur. And I still am taking guitar lessons to learn that which I did not learn when I was younger.:p

Its ok, I am still working on LilRaveGirl about how awesome the music from the 80s is
    edited April 2011
    Vrano wrote:
    Ok, ok...
    back to 80's stuff...who here remembers these:
    The Muppet Movie ('79, but close enough)
    The Great Muppet Caper ('81)
    The Muppets Take Manhattan ('84)

Of course, I am leaving out the Muppet movies post '80s, as this is, afterall, a thread about the 80's.

Gates McFadden was in Muppets take Manhattan as a Secretary. First time I saw her on TNG, I remembered her from that movie, that and Hunt for Red October
    edited April 2011
    For me the 80s just scream over the top (action) movies.....with sequels.:D

Rambo (First Blood), Beverly Hills Cop, Die Hard, Rocky, Lethal Weapon, The Terminator.
    edited April 2011
    And we're still dealing with the sequels of alot of those up to this day
    edited April 2011
    And reboots...because face it...no one can think of anything better to come out with that didn't already come out in the 80's.
    edited April 2011
    Which reminds me, I am still waiting for my Live Action Starblazers (aka Space Battleship Yamato) movie to get dubbed and then sent over here :)
    edited April 2011
    Which reminds me, I am still waiting for my Live Action Starblazers (aka Space Battleship Yamato) movie to get dubbed and then sent over here :)

Yeah, that would be awesome. Would love to see a live-action Robotech as well.
    edited April 2011
    Vrano wrote:
    Yeah, that would be awesome. Would love to see a live-action Robotech as well.

Tobey Macguire is working on that, plus he want to play Rick Hunter
    edited April 2011
    Vrano wrote:
    And reboots...because face it...no one can think of anything better to come out with that didn't already come out in the 80's.

Rebooting is one thing....stabbing it in the back another.

Remember Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?:eek:
    edited April 2011
    SHARKFORCE wrote: »
    Rebooting is one thing....stabbing it in the back another.

Remember Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?:eek:

Eh, it was ok. Could have been better...but definately could have been worse. Much like with Star Wars I-III, KotCS was made to be relavant for a new and younger generatio, not for those of us who already love it. Much like Transformers...most of us who criticize the movies grew up with he original cartoons. Most of the fanbase for Transformers now are our kids, and I know my kids love the movies.
    edited April 2011
    Where's my Airwolf reboot/Re-imagining????
    edited April 2011

I dunno, that would be pretty sweet though
    edited April 2011

I would love a reboot/Re-imagining of Blue Thunder.
    edited April 2011

Give them time.
    edited April 2011
    Vrano wrote:
    Eh, it was ok. Could have been better...but definately could have been worse. Much like with Star Wars I-III, KotCS was made to be relavant for a new and younger generatio, not for those of us who already love it. Much like Transformers...most of us who criticize the movies grew up with he original cartoons. Most of the fanbase for Transformers now are our kids, and I know my kids love the movies.

Skull was great...if you pretend the whole alien thing didn't happen.

Was great to see Indy back in action. Nice to know Ford can still do the stunts at his age....
    edited April 2011
    Vrano wrote:

Given the choice....My boys would rather watch Gen1....I'm so proud. My boys are 8 and 5. :D
    edited April 2011
    Everything Transformers before the animated movie mucked it up was great, along with Gi Joe of teh same time frame. After that, they kept changing both franchises too much and too quickly to really get invested to any of the characters. I think a real Lady J would have been hot!