test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Back in the 80's...

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Oh my good sir I have seen her in person. My 23rd Birthday Present was a tour of her. Even today she is a beauty of a ship, the sheer size of her guns in person was spectacular. Having wandered her halls and walkways I give much respect to the men who served on board her. I was exhausted simply touring her, I could not imagine moving through her in the midst of duty, much less battle.
    edited April 2011
    Been aboard myself, one of the perks of living in NC I suppose. We have our own battleship :D

Going to try to head down to see the Yorktown this summer, maybe head up to see the Wisconsin in Norfolk as well.
    edited April 2011
    It is indeed a perk of living in our state. I'd love to visit another museum ship someday myself, when personal economics are a bit more stable.
    edited April 2011
    Hravik wrote:
    Been aboard myself, one of the perks of living in NC I suppose. We have our own battleship :D

Going to try to head down to see the Yorktown this summer, maybe head up to see the Wisconsin in Norfolk as well.

Been aboard North Carolina a couple times myself, along with Wisconsin up in Norfolk, Missouri in Pearl Harbor, Alabama in Mobile, and those ship's down in Charleston at Patriot's Point. Love the old ships.

As a side note, as a Navy man myself, it is reather disturbing how much tech from WWII is onboard current US Navy ships.

:D
    edited April 2011
    As a side note, as a Navy man myself, it is reather disturbing how much tech from WWII is onboard current US Navy ships.

As a squid...you should understand...how cheap the Navy is. Plus...There are some things...that just can't be improved upon.

Sound Powered Phones are a good example of that. :D
    edited April 2011
    As a squid...you should understand...how cheap the Navy is. Plus...There are some things...that just can't be improved upon.

Sound Powered Phones are a good example of that. :D

Well true, it's not like we're the Air Force (shudder) and spend all our money on golf courses and Gyms,a nd then go back to Congress to ask for more money for planes
    edited April 2011
    Been aboard North Carolina a couple times myself, along with Wisconsin up in Norfolk, Missouri in Pearl Harbor, Alabama in Mobile, and those ship's down in Charleston at Patriot's Point. Love the old ships.

I thin the only ships I've toured so far are the Cutty Sark (Greenwich, UK); HMS Victory & HMS Warrior (1860) (both in Portsmouth, UK), the destroyer USS Barry (Washington, DC); and the replicas of the Discovery, Godspeed, and Susan Constant in Jamestown, VA.

Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? ;)
    edited April 2011
    Archanubis wrote:
    I thin the only ships I've toured so far are the Cutty Sark (Greenwich, UK); HMS Victory & HMS Warrior (1860) (both in Portsmouth, UK), the destroyer USS Barry (Washington, DC); and the replicas of the Discovery, Godspeed, and Susan Constant in Jamestown, VA.

I see the Barry every monday, but I have to visit the old girl. her namesake was one of the ships to fire on Qadafi last month. Forgot about the old ships I did my two weeks of reserve duty on the Consitution in Boston, that was a fun time
    edited April 2011
    I freely admit that is one musical I love to watch.

The Pirate Movie is based off of Gilbert & Sullivan's Pirates of Penzance.
    edited April 2011
    Not really sure if we should claim this one for the 80's or leave it back in the 70's...(it was released in 1980)
    edited April 2011
    Vrano wrote:
    Not really sure if we should claim this one for the 80's or leave it back in the 70's...(it was released in 1980)

That one always felt 80's to me so, fo rme at least, it's good
    edited April 2011
    That one always felt 80's to me so, fo rme at least, it's good

While I have never been an ONJ fan, I have always enjoyed the music of ELO, so I guess it can stay, hehe.
    edited April 2011
    Vrano wrote:
    While I have never been an ONJ fan, I have always enjoyed the music of ELO, so I guess it can stay, hehe.

At least it ain't the Bee Gees. I still give my folks grief about having to go out late at night in the late 70's to get tickets for them when the tickets went on sale at midnight at the local Sears
    edited April 2011
    Well true, it's not like we're the Air Force (shudder) and spend all our money on golf courses and Gyms,a nd then go back to Congress to ask for more money for planes

The Air Farce does beat the Navy Galley hands down...They got come righteous food over there.....
    edited April 2011
    The Air Farce does beat the Navy Galley hands down...They got come righteous food over there.....

OK, I'll give you that. AIr Force is good on presentation, if they are lacking on substance :D
    edited April 2011
    We had Mr Peanut running the game until a new sheriff came to town. Ronnie Ray Gun.
    edited April 2011

But we had some good golf courses.
    edited April 2011
    Anyone remember Miami Vice, 21 jump street, In the heat of the night, Unsolved Mysteries, Cheers and Coach was only one season in the 80's.
    edited April 2011
    Englebert wrote:
    Anyone remember Miami Vice, 21 jump street, In the heat of the night, Unsolved Mysteries, Cheers and Coach was only one season in the 80's.

Unsolved Mysteries and Coach were never shown overhere,I did watch the others.

Ok.....any of you remember Alf, Riptide, CHIPS, Blue Thunder, Hunter and Tour of Duty?
    edited April 2011
    SHARKFORCE wrote: »

Ok.....any of you remember Alf, Riptide, CHIPS, Blue Thunder, Hunter and Tour of Duty?

Yes :), Yes:|, Yes :D, Yes :(, and Yes :D
    edited April 2011

Watched all of those but tour of duty. I would have watched it if I had known it existed.

Also Simon and Simon, Different strokes, The Facts of Life and wonder years.
    edited April 2011
    All these shows are a trip down good/bad memory lane, depending on the show of course.
    edited April 2011
    I prefered Airwolf, over Blue Thunder, even if it was more realistic than a Mach 1 super helicopter
    edited April 2011
    Englebert wrote:
    Watched all of those but tour of duty. I would have watched it if I had known it existed.

Also Simon and Simon, Different strokes, The Facts of Life and wonder years.

Again 2 series that were never shown overhere: Simon and Simon and The Facts of Life. Different Strokes and Wonder Years I did watch.

I remember visiting my grandparents on wednesday afternoons and watch shows like Golden Girls,Empty Nest and Nurses.
    edited April 2011
    I prefered Airwolf, over Blue Thunder, even if it was more realistic than a Mach 1 super helicopter

I liked them both,sadly the Blue Thunder series was short lived,after 7 or 8 episodes the pulled the plug....reason: Airwolf.:o
    edited April 2011
    Don Bellisario makes some good shows.....

Ahem.

Magnum PI
    Airwolf
    Tales of the Gold Monkey
    Quantum Leap
    JAG
    NCIS
    NCIS:LA

just to name a few.

Plus he did Classic BSG and Black Sheep Squadron (Baa Baa Black Sheep)
    edited April 2011
    Again 2 series that were never shown overhere: Simon and Simon and The Facts of Life. Different Strokes and Wonder Years I did watch.

I remember visiting my grandparents on wednesday afternoons and watch shows like Golden Girls,Empty Nest and Nurses.

Where are you, in England?
    edited April 2011
    Englebert wrote:
    Where are you, in England?

They wish!:p No....Sharky is Dutch.
    edited April 2011
    They wish!:p No....Sharky is Dutch.

Cool, I meet a few Dutch exchange students in the 80's. I liked them, they were good people.
    edited April 2011
    BBS boards. Oh the days before internet. :eek: wait that was dark times.