Why has Archosaur been down for an entire night?

Nahktuul - Archosaur
Nahktuul - Archosaur Posts: 725 Arc User
edited December 2014 in General Discussion
Absolutely ridiculous. Does no one pay attention to the servers at night in North America? There is absolutely no reason why Archo is still down, since 6p last night, barring a fire where the servers are held.

Get your act together, PWE.
PWI Gamer since Closed Beta (Under RisenPhoenix/Nahktuul - Sanctuary/Archosaur)
Post edited by Nahktuul - Archosaur on

Comments

• lunayui
    lunayui Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The server isn't down; the main map has crashed. If your last log off was in the main map you won't be able to connect until it's fixed.
  • Nahktuul - Archosaur
    edited December 2014
    lunayui wrote: »
    The server isn't down; the main map has crashed. If your last log off was in the main map you won't be able to connect until it's fixed.

OK....technicalities aside....

Either way you slice the cake, the baker still didn't do his job. Someone should have rebooted the map last night.

There is still no reason why this is still an issue.
  • dontbeabytch
    dontbeabytch Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Absolutely ridiculous. Does no one pay attention to the servers at night in North America? There is absolutely no reason why Archo is still down, since 6p last night, barring a fire where the servers are held.

It's down because people do actually have homes, families, and lives they go to after work. And most people sleep at night. Honestly, you will not have seizures if you dont play the game for a day.
  • lordarrakis
    lordarrakis Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Seriously, why do people keep missing the point and reiterating that the server is not down and what happened was only the main map crashed yadda yadda yadda. If you think saying such things make you sound smart, it doesn't.
  • lordarrakis
    lordarrakis Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    lunayui wrote: »
    It's down because people do actually have homes, families, and lives they go to after work. And most people sleep at night. Honestly, you will not have seizures if you dont play the game for a day.

Actually, no, that's not the reason. International-level games that run 24/7 should have 24/7 technical teams who are ready to act whenever there's any problem, if not immediately then at least within less than 8 hours, don't you think? If they don't, then something's wrong with the way they're spending the money.
  • laseek
    laseek Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Actually - there's no difference between a server being down and a service being down with how tech and systems are currently.

The IP addy you think you are connecting to won't be an actual server but a service hidden behind it.

The service is down, it is a critical service to the Arch population. It should be monitored and when there is an issue - support should be notified.

Yes - support have families - but a business should ensure that critical services are monitored and that there is enough support available to handle issues out of business hours.
  • Nahktuul - Archosaur
    edited December 2014
    Seriously, why do people keep missing the point and reiterating that the server is not down and what happened was only the main map crashed yadda yadda yadda. If you think saying such things make you sound smart, it doesn't.

Because people like the person who 'corrected' me like to think they are know it alls to make themselves feel better about the progress and meaning of their life due to personal inadequacies. Easy to spot, and what's sadder is that those people usually have no clue as to how desperate they seem to the rest of society b:chuckle
    Actually, no, that's not the reason. International-level games that run 24/7 should have 24/7 technical teams who are ready to act whenever there's any problem, if not immediately then at least within less than 8 hours, don't you think? If they don't, then something's wrong with the way they're spending the money.

My point exactly. Games have 24/7 technicians available. Mods *cough* who can contact GMs. Do you honestly think that a company would invest millions and not have the proper support team in place? The ignorance of people astounds me in this community.
  • PatsyBanger - Archosaur
    PatsyBanger - Archosaur Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I think they are making enough money off this game that they could pay someone to monitor the games atleast. This long down is a bit ridiculous considering the fix is i am assuming a click of a button away. Still all in all it is not killing anyone not to have pwi for awhile, maybe we can actually find something to do and get to liking it and save some money here in pwi. This is not the only issue i have with the game lately and have already started saving by not buting any more gold from the game.
  • laseek
    edited December 2014
    I think they are making enough money off this game that they could pay someone to monitor the games atleast. This long down is a bit ridiculous considering the fix is i am assuming a click of a button away. Still all in all it is not killing anyone not to have pwi for awhile, maybe we can actually find something to do and get to liking it and save some money here in pwi. This is not the only issue i have with the game lately and have already started saving by not buting any more gold from the game.

You don't need somebody to monitor things - just some software that does and then escalates when there's an issue to whoever is oncall - sms/IM - there are plenty of options.
  • dontbeabytch
    edited December 2014
    laseek wrote: »
    a business should ensure that critical services are monitored and that there is enough support available to handle issues out of business hours.

Ok, I will definately agree with that aspect. But we all know PWI will not pay people to monitor the game at night. Server crashes do not happen on regular intervals so that would not be a viable production cost. I think that when the server goes down or the map crashes, a notification should be sent to Customer Service/Billing (you know if it's something that has to do with them making $ they are going to have 24-hour staffing there). A supervisor can be notified and that person can alert the person responsible for taking care of these kinds of issues, regardless of the time.
  • eiledon
    eiledon Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Ok, I will definately agree with that aspect. But we all know PWI will not pay people to monitor the game at night. Server crashes do not happen on regular intervals so that would not be a viable production cost. I think that when the server goes down or the map crashes, a notification should be sent to Customer Service/Billing (you know if it's something that has to do with them making $ they are going to have 24-hour staffing there). A supervisor can be notified and that person can alert the person responsible for taking care of these kinds of issues, regardless of the time.

All this may have happened. And it is approaching office hours for PWE (based in California) so they may be able to action something remotely to server to get the map process up and running. If however it is a hardware issue (probably not due to the fact there are still people logged on who are not in the main PWI world map) they need to wait for the East Coast staff to get into the office (and not sure if those are PWE staff or an external company who manages their hardware)

Things break. They will get fixed.
  • dontbeabytch
    edited December 2014
    well, it's almost 7am server time, so that would be 10am EST ijs
  • PatsyBanger - Archosaur
    PatsyBanger - Archosaur Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Have you read the filth in wc? Has this server not been down for about 12 hours now? Obvious they do need someone to monitor things to me
  • laseek
    edited December 2014
    Having an actual person to monitor is a waste of resources.
    Software can do a far better job - a system is comprised of many facets - literally hundreds of things should be monitored: network latency, dns, time sync on the servers, server resources, critical system processes (like maps), disk usage, etc.

Software monitors all critical services - when there is an issue - it escalates to whoever is on call. Ops (operations) setup an on-call rosta so you have around the clock coverage. It's actually easier with systems like pwi - as they have servers around the globe - so you can escalate to which ever currently has their day shift. They log in remote - deal with the issue.

Response time can be as short as 0 down time with the right approach.
  • Azealiacia - Archosaur
    Azealiacia - Archosaur Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Point is, their support is tacky. If I did my job like they do theirs, I wouldn't have one. Get the **** together, that's all I'm saying. I work on christmas, what is their excuse? Someone HAS to be working. Christmas or not. it's a job. DO IT.
    It's the end of PWI as we know it. Packs going to 50 cents jumped our economy up to 1mil per gold. It's over for non-cashoppers.
  • ImNotFeelnIt - Heavens Tear
    ImNotFeelnIt - Heavens Tear Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    My favorite part of this is that I guess according to OP PWI is apparently too lazy to monitor the actual servers, but is gonna jump at the first bit of verbal abuse on these forums.

As if the forums (for them) are anything else but a constant torrent of verbal abuse and physical threats, but this is the first place they should go in the morning before server status.

Vote with your wallet, and your feet. If you demand 100% uptime, and you're not getting it then I doubt calling the administrators every 4 letter word in your vocabulary is gonna change things. Either mellow out or find a game that suits your needs.

\it's frustrating when it doesn't work, I agree
    \\but all the text typed here changes nothing, but it does wonders for raising your blood pressure
  • laseek
    edited December 2014
    It's not about getting pwi to reply about the issue.

The forums are a place for the community to get together to discuss ideas/issues that concern them. The OP is raising a valid point which is now being discussed.

We have limited ways to influence what actually happens - you're right.
    Other communities do a much better job - eve online is an example of where the community is part of the whole process - with a council elected by members who have a voice that's part of how the eve online story unfolds.

Not that pwi should follow the same lines - but more community integration and participation would be a good thing - not just for the game but for the company in a wider sense.
  • laseek
    edited December 2014
    On a related note - it would be nice to see things like:

1) RoR entrance/exit in Morai/Primal
    2) BH/AH/Commission shop/Elder npcs in both Morai/Primal
    3) boutique items (tradable ofc) for summoning banker/mailbox/ah anywhere on the map (incl. instances) for 5-10 mins

Not only would these facilitate game play but would also help when we have these types of issues.
  • rawrepicfail
    rawrepicfail Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Not to take up for pwe by any means but it could be way worse. There was a certain game with the initials AA that was down from sunday morning to late tuesday night with 4 others servers remaining down for a full day longer. So yes it could be worse. lol.
  • laseek
    edited December 2014
    tbh - the worst aspect to this is that new starters on the tails of the expansion, bringing new lift to the servers, will now see PWI in a poor light.
  • c44102
    c44102 Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    wow almost 12 hours of map crash and no fix
    I made a thread a while back but only got trolled for it explaining why PWi needs to hire more staff. Well ide just like to add this long crash to that reason. Too bad i got trolled alot on there they might have brung in more people to help with this kinda stuff.
  • /Eryx_ - Archosaur
    /Eryx_ - Archosaur Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    i thought they liked us XD now they have yet to fix this flippin crash wth xdb:angry
  • Poopinpanto - Heavens Tear
    Poopinpanto - Heavens Tear Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Just go to bed.I'm freaking serious.
  • pachwenko
    pachwenko Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Did go to bed, just waking up and its still down. Most everyone has the holidays off work this week so we aren't making enough money to cash shop, so they don't care. After Christmas when everyone got some money in their pocket will make sure the servers running perfect and bring on the sales! b:victory
  • Gralkon - Archosaur
    Gralkon - Archosaur Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Not to take up for pwe by any means but it could be way worse. There was a certain game with the initials AA that was down from sunday morning to late tuesday night with 4 others servers remaining down for a full day longer. So yes it could be worse. lol.

The difference with that game and what happened here is that tech support was on the issue almost right away and the community manager kept the community updated regularly with what was happening each step of the way. Yes it was a long extended downtime, but it was handled well with keeping the community updated. The complete silence from pwe is just something that inflames the community of this game and has always been an issue here.
  • laseek
    edited December 2014
    The difference with that game and what happened here is that tech support was on the issue almost right away and the community manager kept the community updated regularly with what was happening each step of the way. Yes it was a long extended downtime, but it was handled well with keeping the community updated. The complete silence from pwe is just something that inflames the community of this game and has always been an issue here.

Quoted for truth
  • Axelandar - Archosaur
    Axelandar - Archosaur Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    They could just get another laptop to run what is missing, but someone would still need to push a button. If they care.

No news try next year. Happy New Year.
  • laseek
    edited December 2014
    They could just get another laptop to run what is missing, but someone would still need to push a button. If they care.

No news try next year. Happy New Year.

You don't even need to push a button - bare bones with virtual servers with an api allow you to spin up instances on demand with very little delay.
    You can even automate the reverse proxy to add/remove back end service instances as needed.

Use a 3rd party and it's all done for you - you just define the SLA. ofc - this approach is more expensive.
  • c44102
    c44102 Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    SweetieBot can you wake up the gms for us please and let them know Arch server crashed lastnight and has been down for a long time now. Thank You
  • SweetieBot - Lothranis
    SweetieBot - Lothranis Posts: 18,978 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    c44102 wrote: »
    Sweetiebot can you wake up the gms for us please and let them know Arch server crashed lastnight and has been down for a long time now. Thank You
    I could, but what would be the point? I like polite people.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I only respond if you begin a line with "SweetieBot", read the link below for commands
    SweetieBot FAQ / Usage: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1566451