State of the Game - DQ Price

Options
kantorek
kantorek Posts: 136 Arc User
edited October 2010 in General Discussion
Hey Guys,

In case you haven't check it out yet, we have a news post in response to the DQ Price reduction issue. It gives some insight as to why the change was made and how we intend to deal with it.

The news article can be found here.

-Closing the old thread- Please continue the discussion either here or in the news article. Thanks.
朱健诚
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Maintenance is my Constant. b:surrender
Post edited by kantorek on

Comments

• Sacredxstar - Heavens Tear
    Sacredxstar - Heavens Tear Posts: 916 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Oh I remember reading that news article. It basically said the same thing as what Frankie said in the old discussion.

Everything just seems to be "under development" nowadays. :/
    I call it how I see it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thanks Santacruz! :D
  • AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    AlbireoTwo - Lost City Posts: 2,056 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    2nd QQ............

This DQ stuff is dragging on long. Give it another year and people will stop caring.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thank you Forsakenx for the picture. b:thanks
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Glad you all did that and now are letting people know that post there.

Hopefully the unwarranted freak-outs will be calmed as people better understand.

:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Olba - Sanctuary
    Olba - Sanctuary Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Question... What the heck is "Gold farming" in PWI?
    If you disregard what I say because of who I am or because of the contents of what I said, you are a fool.

Everyone wants to be different, but when you're different you wish you were normal.
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Didn't Kantorek make the post a year ago saying that GMs were monitoring gold price and that it would be going down soon?

Like 3 months before packs came out?

Or was that Xarfox.

Most intriguing thing about that letter I found was the promise for 'bug fixes'. I've been hearing plans for bug fixes now for over a year. I remember when the anniversary packs first came out one of the GMs, I believe Xarfox, said that they were planning to release a bunch of bug fixes with the raging tide expansion. When it came out we got 1 bug fix: the tournament, which was promptly removed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
    edited May 2010
    Options

Gold farming in PW would mean mass botting (in this case for PW-China). Botting for DQ items, then selling the DQ items to NPC or to other players creating an influx of coins. After coins are obtained, switch them to gold through Auctioneer. Thus selling gold for real life $ (which is bannable).

^ That's my understanding of it.
    I call it how I see it.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited May 2010
    Options

You can do a Google search on "gold farming" and you will see...
    Didn't Kantorek make the post a year ago saying that GMs were monitoring gold price and that it would be going down soon?

Like 3 months before packs came out?

Or was that Xafrox.

This has nothing to do with in-game gold prices >.>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    AlbireoTwo - Lost City Posts: 2,056 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    1)Steal your mums credit card.
    2)Charge up 50,000 gold.
    3)Drop the gold.
    4)Water daily.
    5)Watch as your gold grows into a big,beautiful mountain.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thank you Forsakenx for the picture. b:thanks
  • Olba - Sanctuary
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Gold farming in PW would mean mass botting (in this case for PW-China). Botting for DQ items, then selling the DQ items to NPC or to other players creating an influx of coins. After coins are obtained, switch them to gold through Auctioneer. Thus selling gold for real life $ (which is bannable).

^ That's my understanding of it.

But the post specifically says "botting and gold farming". That would be extremely redundant and blatant lying. Because "botting" kinda covers "botting", me thinks.
    You can do a Google search on "gold farming" and you will see...

Isn't Gold Farming a WoW thing?
    If you disregard what I say because of who I am or because of the contents of what I said, you are a fool.

Everyone wants to be different, but when you're different you wish you were normal.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited May 2010
    Options

Nope....can be found in a lot of games tbh.

This is not really an issue in this version, but in China they have had some major issues. So much so that the government has gotten involved.

Since PWI gets alot of codes and such from China....anything that effects that version will affect this one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    edited May 2010
    Options

Im just saying that I'm a little bit skeptical here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
    edited May 2010
    Options
    But the post specifically says "botting and gold farming". That would be extremely redundant and blatant lying. Because "botting" kinda covers "botting", me thinks.

Yes saying botting and gold farming is redundant but meanings differ. Botting could be to bot for levels and not necessarily to farm gold.

Gold farming does not only pertain to the game that you named. It applies to any MMORPG and many MMORPGs have this problem.
    I call it how I see it.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Im just saying that I'm a little bit skeptical here.

Just Google it for the love....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    edited May 2010
    Options
    My point is that the GMs have promised things in the past that didn't turn out to be true. Example would be 'gold prices are going to go down'.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _Rosaly_ - Lost City
    _Rosaly_ - Lost City Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    This is not really an issue in this version, but in China they have had some major issues. So much so that the government has gotten involved.
    It's China though. Everything remotely related to making a profit is a major issue and the government gets involved in everything. b:chuckle

Either way, thanks for the update Kantorek. Nice to see that the GMs deem us worthy of an update on the issue every now and then. b:thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited May 2010
    Options
    My point is that the GMs have promised things in the past that didn't turn out to be true. Example would be 'gold prices are going to go down'.

The gold prices suc bc ppl STILL BUY IT at the prices there. If ppl would not buy it for that high, prices would go down.

Also, GM's never "promised"...there is not too much they can really do about a lot of things.

Think about it....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• RedsRose - Lost City
    edited May 2010
    Options
    It's China though. Everything remotely related to making a profit is a major issue and the government gets involved in everything. b:chuckle

Not always...

Everyone can read this:

Current Analysis and Future Research Agenda on "Gold Farming": Real-World Production in Developing Countries for the Virtual Economies of Online Games

For a more, non-educational stance and shorter, try this: China Bans Gold Farming

Edit --> QQ dble post....my bad >.>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I'd still like to see a SS of Gold Trading section from CN version. I bet the gold price there is closer to 1m or maybe even 2m.
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options

same as gold farming in any other MMO, i'd imagine - farming (usually with massive multiboxing, and/or botting) for whatever resource gives the best coins-to-time-invested ratio when sold, then selling the coins for real money on the black market, undercutting the cash shop.

i don't see a lot of it going on in PWI, amazingly. i used to play r*nesc*pe back before they had to completely amputate their trade system and replace it with one more under their direct control, so they could micro-manage price levels game-wide. that was bad gold farming; even cranking up their random events to where you got one every few minutes couldn't stem the bots.

(a "random event" involved teleporting your character into one of several different instances, picked at random, for no reason. if you were human, you could talk to the NPCs and figure out how to get tele'd back, with a small reward; the theory went that bots could not do so and would get stuck, or at least identified as a bot. didn't seem to make any difference in practice, though.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Olba - Sanctuary
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Yes saying botting and gold farming is redundant but meanings differ. Botting could be to bot for levels and not necessarily to farm gold.

Well, if "gold farming" equates to "farming drops for coin with bots", then yes, that is also included under "botting". Which either makes it redundant or blatant lying. The latter only if the purpose of the text is to exaggerate the problems to justify the action.

Also, considering that most servers have their TW maps going towards or already at a point where one or two factions hold all the lands, their income far outweights that of any botters. Same applies to cash shoppers and Ten Million Big Notes.

also, since that isn't a concern here, why would they even "negotiate about an alternative" in the first place instead of just flat-out saying that they don't want nor need such updates here? Granted, it might prove troublesome for them to have to re-write parts of all the future patches so that we would never get said update, but what other option do they have? Really, they'll still be looking either for a temporary fix, such as double drops or an event of some kind, or they'll end up having to put out more coding because of some "permanent" fix.

So, my prediction is that most likely, we get some "We're sorry for this" event that lasts some time and then there'll be nothing.

• RedsRose - Lost City
    edited May 2010
    Options
    also, since that isn't a concern here, why would they even "negotiate about an alternative" in the first place instead of just flat-out saying that they don't want nor need such updates here? Granted, it might prove troublesome for them to have to re-write parts of all the future patches so that we would never get said update, but what other option do they have?

Seriously....have you read any of the information on this? b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Olba - Sanctuary
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Seriously....have you read any of the information on this? b:surrender

Um, yes? I am aware that the DQ -20% price thing was for botters in China. Well, we don't have such botters, so the only reason to bring said update to us would be laziness. After all, most likely, they'd have to edit their updates every single time to compensate for the DQ thing, which wouldn't necessarily be practical or even possible.

So most likely, we end up getting a temporary fix. Kinda sad, though.

edited May 2010
    Options
    Um, yes? I am aware that the DQ -20% price thing was for botters in China. Well, we don't have such botters, so the only reason to bring said update to us would be laziness. After all, most likely, they'd have to edit their updates every single time to compensate for the DQ thing, which wouldn't necessarily be practical or even possible.

Sigh. Although I have to lean towards agreement with the bolded part, I believe she had meant reading what other people said in this thread. So I shall include a quote from her on page 2 for you here:

Since PWI gets alot of codes and such from China....anything that effects that version will affect this one.
    I call it how I see it.
  • Olba - Sanctuary
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Sigh. Although I have to lean towards agreement with the bolded part, I believe she had meant reading what other people said in this thread. So I shall include a quote from her on page 2 for you here:

The latter quote was exactly my point. The best they can give us is a temporary fix, because otherwise they'd end up fixing the -20% on their side as well, which would be kinda dumb of them. Either that, or they end up having to give us our own customized patches every single time for that permanent fix, which would probably be the same amount of work as it would to not include the -20% in the first place. The latter did not happen, so most likely, we'll see a temporary "fix".

Sucks, doesn't it?

• Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    edited May 2010
    Options

Or people get it in CN version too. Who knows.
  • Olba - Sanctuary
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Or people get it in CN version too. Who knows.

That would be extremely ****, wouldn't it? Fixing a botting issue only to unfix it so that the American version can be happy and the programmers less stressed about their workloads.

• Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Options
    1)Steal your mums credit card.
    2)Charge up 50,000 gold.
    3)Drop the gold.
    4)Water daily.
    5)Watch as your gold grows into a big,beautiful mountain.

I lol'd.

But I'll say again what's already been said here.

There are certain developments that are made PWI only or CN only. Somewhere, we have something implemented (or taken out) that CN doesn't have (or still does.) Why could they not just edit out the one or two lines of code the 20% price drop is for PWI? I mean is it such a task to do?

This theory is increased by the fact that, if the fix is a very real, permanent fix, it will be for our version only. So, again... why not just... save the hassle and take out that one line of code?

I don't know, I don't do the same kind of code this game deals with. But I really don't like the unnecessary developments we keep seeing, which then keep getting put off and put off, and then a news post appears telling us nothing new whatsoever.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited May 2010
    Options
    IT IS ONLY 20%..........

*sigh*

When no answer = QQ

When get some type of response and answer = QQ more

When a fix comes = QQ

...people are never happy ffs.........
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited May 2010
    Options
    That would be extremely ****, wouldn't it? Fixing a botting issue only to unfix it so that the American version can be happy and the programmers less stressed about their workloads.

Best way to fit a botting issue: Ban hammer. Ban hammer doesn't work and they still keep coming back? IP block.
    I call it how I see it.
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Best way to fit a botting issue: Ban hammer. Ban hammer doesn't work and they still keep coming back? IP block.

It works, but don't forget that the game is almost unplayable in some areas because of bots. There must be thousands of bots per server. Banning all that is work, and we all know how lazy devs and other people in CN servers are. b:chuckle