Stop telling others how to play

DaWoman - Dreamweaver
DaWoman - Dreamweaver Posts: 49 Arc User
edited March 2010 in General Discussion
Maybe it's just me, but it seems to me that most people have a stigma when it comes to this game....

Barb = Tank
Veno = Pull/DD
Archer = Ranged/DD
Cleric = Healing only
Blademaster = DD
Wizard = Magic DD w/ continuous AoE and "Ghetto heals"

Now then, I am a barb, and I tank nearly everything that my faction needs done... Except things like Mantavip, who is now call the NightPatrol Shadestalker ? or some **** like that... he's near Misfortune. You actually need a magic tank for him. The way I see it, if someone can get aggro and hold aggro without getting themselves offed.. Let that person tank. Nothing on this game is set in stone. I've seen everything from heavy armor clerics to light armor barbs to heavy armor venos. Now I'm going to say this and I don't want anyone to take offense... But you don't need a herc to be a good veno, vice versa, having a herc doesn't make you a good or bad veno, it's how you use the tools you have.

And I for one applaud a person's ability to think outside the norm and come up with new and better ways to get things done. But the bottom line to this post is this:

People are people, you can't do anything about it, and every person has the right to make his or her own choices... So I say instead of QQing about the assissins and psychics stealing aggro from you and using bows, find new and better ways on how to use what they can do instead of asking them to gimp their own character just because the big bad barb can't compete with their damage. It's short-sited, selfish, and presumptious.

I commend all of you who are able to think outside of the box and come up with new and more exciting ways to make this game better. Thank you all.
Post edited by DaWoman - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Piren - Dreamweaver
    Piren - Dreamweaver Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    hi :)
    this will make my message more than 10 characters so i can post it
    b:shocked burnt bear is burnt D':
  • Alliptica - Lost City
    Alliptica - Lost City Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    i agree, OP :)

:o piren ninja'd me with her first post b:laugh
  • Hakiii - Heavens Tear
    Hakiii - Heavens Tear Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Agree;
    it's extremely annoying to be asked if you have a herc, specially at my level I think that would be silly.
    I played PW when they didn't exist and so did plenty of other people, and we all did fine without them. So suddenly just cause it's a easy button people /have/ to have them to join certain parties to get your BH or whatever done.
    Just no.
    Whats even funnier is when people laugh at me for being light armor fist veno.
    Until I'm the only one left in a party that got wiped by the boss and I hold it so the cleric can come back.

People need to stfu up sometimes like you said, and just let people explore whatever they want to.
  • Fangxing - Heavens Tear
    Fangxing - Heavens Tear Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I...I love you OP. b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Now I know that PWE is ran by a bucket of monkeys on speed.
  • Seirura - Heavens Tear
    Seirura - Heavens Tear Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    lol, Ghetto heals... I'm going to start using that
  • Kaneharo - Dreamweaver
    Kaneharo - Dreamweaver Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I only partly agree, as there are moments when one should be told how to play..... such as a playing in a manner that could hinder the progress of others; such as:
    A BM in a gamma squad who just stands within the zhen until the boss comes. There's a difference between playing in creative ways, and playing horribly, whether intentionally or unintentionally, and believing that you're the strongest ever in such in a way.
    But at the same time, there isn't one best path that should be used, such as a veno desperately needing a herc.
    (☞゚ヮ゚)☞
    ☜(゚ヮ゚☜) Pew Pew Pew!
    Quotes of Awesomeness:
    "that word, "solo". i don't think it means what you think it means." - LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Agreed.

However, with the influx of super-easy levelling, nobody has needed to get creative in squads anymore. They don't squad much, when they do they expect it to be this one particular format because they don't realise and haven't had to realise that other classes can tank, DD or anything else just as well. With the onset of Hyper EXP, BH and that one oracle sale, people got used to having squads just they way they liked them.

Which meant, also... the new barbs got used to being the only tanks. The archers got used to being only DDs. The clerics got used to only healing.

Because people expected one certain role of a class, they also ended up unwittingly teaching newer players that their class only had one role to begin with. This then made them expect squads to be formed a certain way.

So while I agree with everything you've said, this has become a very vicious cycle of expecting people to do one thing, and then teaching newer and less experienced players they can only do one thing - which in turn makes them expect the very same.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lylfo - Dreamweaver
    Lylfo - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Agree with Kaneharo. The worst part is, most of the time, it is the barb who thinks he is all high and mighty. So, I will just leave squad and blacklist if I have tried and people won't listen.
    Thanks Chillum for the nice Sig.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Skimi - Dreamweaver
    Skimi - Dreamweaver Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    lol i made wizzy tank my fb51 so ya i agree with u. and to many ppl looking for barbs for things what herc venos can do so barbs are so busy :s
  • Tojop - Dreamweaver
    Tojop - Dreamweaver Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    In general I agree with post. I'm a pretty competent cleric, I keep people alive and debuff/dd when I can. However, I played a wizard to level 79 on Raging Tide server.....

Dealing with the "fail cleric" concept was something totally foreign to me. Don't get me wrong, I've made my share of mistakes/gotten caught up with Ace of Cakes when in TT, and definitely had communication/assumption issues when in squad with another cleric.

But seriously, in most squads there is one cleric. 5 ppl can do damage, more or less effectively, depending on gear (here I'm exempting barbs; you guys are good at other stuff b:victory); there is ONE person who can effectively heal. I want to emphasize "effectively", because psychics have their aoe ironheart, and wizards have their morning dew.

Each of those is extremely useful in their own settings, but should certainly not be "relied on" to keep the party healed/alive. Archers can do *one thing*. Wizards can do 1.2 things. Telling a cleric to heal is like telling an archer to use skills. It really shouldn't be necessary, and it's WAY awkward when it is.

Starting to ramble....I do agree that the cookie cutter description doesn't always fit: cleric heals the barb tanking the mob the veno pulled, etc. But each class IS good at specific things, and that should not be overlooked.

En fin, if you need two clerics, you're probably doing it wrong. Don't bring a veno just to pull. A bm could probably tank it anyways. I hate archers with a passion. Finkz is the best wizard. Ever.

That last one is not up for debate.
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    theres a similar thread to this every week....

do we really need to hash out the same complaints of people's ignorance?

'why arent venos with hercs considered good?'
    'we need a barb to tank everything'
    'what? bm? they cant tank'

aerosmith once said its the same old song and dance. get used to it, it wont change how dumb this community can be
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • Tojop - Dreamweaver
    Tojop - Dreamweaver Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    This thread is different; it has me commenting, and making excellent use of semi-colons. [insert condescending insult here]. b:bye
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    This thread is different; it has me commenting, and making excellent use of semi-colons. [insert condescending insult here]. b:bye
    yea...no. same week, different poster, same message.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Aerosmith? You could have quoted Victor Hugo...

Anyway, i do agree with those posters holding some reserve. Yes, there's plenty more than cookie cutter builds but i do appreciate being asked before i'm being used as a guinea pig for a new build.
  • Chezedude - Dreamweaver
    Chezedude - Dreamweaver Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    stop telling people to stop telling people how to play, they want to play by telling people how to play.

lol jk.
    youtube.com/chezedude
  • Pressa - Heavens Tear
    Pressa - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    b:bye What waffle chan said S.S.D.D.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mage_Fizban - Dreamweaver
    Mage_Fizban - Dreamweaver Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    chezedude는 바보입니다.

why does the korean font make big blocks ingame but you can still see the chars over your head?

shoo mods! come chastise me about not using english.
  • Escorian - Dreamweaver
    Escorian - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    b:victory im a prime example of that people kept telling me i should not stay a fist bm that im useless as it. xD i have been it since lvl 1 b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ty Nowitsawn

Everything has its beginnings, but it doesn't start at one. It starts long before that... The world is born From zero. The moment zero becomes one is the moment the world springs to life. One becomes 2. 2 becomes 10. 10 becomes 100. taking it all back to one solves nothing. so long as zero remains... One.. Will eventually grow to 100 again.
  • Latentkarma - Lost City
    Latentkarma - Lost City Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Maybe it's just me, but it seems to me that most people have a stigma when it comes to this game....

Barb = Tank
    Veno = Pull/DD
    Archer = Ranged/DD
    Cleric = Healing only
    Blademaster = DD

Now then, I am a barb, and I tank nearly everything that my faction needs done... Except things like Mantavip, who is now call the NightPatrol Shadestalker ? or some **** like that... he's near Misfortune. You actually need a magic tank for him. The way I see it, if someone can get aggro and hold aggro without getting themselves offed.. Let that person tank. Nothing on this game is set in stone. I've seen everything from heavy armor clerics to light armor barbs to heavy armor venos. Now I'm going to say this and I don't want anyone to take offense... But you don't need a herc to be a good veno, vice versa, having a herc doesn't make you a good or bad veno, it's how you use the tools you have.

And I for one applaud a person's ability to think outside the norm and come up with new and better ways to get things done. But the bottom line to this post is this:

People are people, you can't do anything about it, and every person has the right to make his or her own choices... So I say instead of QQing about the assissins and psychics stealing aggro from you and using bows, find new and better ways on how to use what they can do instead of asking them to gimp their own character just because the big bad barb can't compete with their damage. It's short-sited, selfish, and presumptious.

I commend all of you who are able to think outside of the box and come up with new and more exciting ways to make this game better. Thank you all.

You are my new Hero.
  • Tonttuu - Heavens Tear
    Tonttuu - Heavens Tear Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited March 2010

Veno = Pull/DD/tank

fixed lil bit
  • Lyritha - Heavens Tear
    Lyritha - Heavens Tear Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I do not play my cleric often but when I do people get pissed that I'm healing and DDing at the same time... that just baffles me when they are like still alive... maybe I should start letting people die b:laugh
  • DaMan - Dreamweaver
    DaMan - Dreamweaver Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I do not play my cleric often but when I do people get pissed that I'm healing and DDing at the same time... that just baffles me when they are like still alive... maybe I should start letting people die b:laugh

I look at this and laugh. I agree though at the same time. I would definately make a lousy cleric, but as a general rule I go with "don't **** the cleric off, that's the person in the party keeping you alive." So if you can keep me nice and cozy, and make life miserable for someone else by al means go for it.

Now that being said I do have a gripe. Why is it so hard for none herc venos / Assassins / Psychics to get in RB gamma? I've already tried starting a squad with my Sin on Raging Tide, and been told "we don't need a sin for this." I'm not here to get people together so you can tell me what is or isn't needed. us TB need RB experience just like everyone else. After all everyone is gonna need Delta for there culti. would like to get xp in Gamma before I hit levels needed for Delta. In short I agree with this post and already come across predjudice because of class choices.
    I'm not anti-herc, I'm anti-bad veno!!!
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited March 2010

Barb = Tank
    Veno = Pull/DD
    Archer = Ranged/DD
    Cleric = Healing only
    Blademaster = DD

Besides those special and expensive pet scrolls, you do need a herc to be a useful veno later on. As any person gets higher in levels they realize clerics aren't just healers, mages aren't just DDs, and that every class has potential beyond the initial limitations that are imposed by the general, unskilled populous. Nonetheless, those general standards were brought to the forefront early on in PWI -- which has changed dramatically since 2008 (some of the guides currently sticky'd were from back then) -- so of course they would be broken eventually. This is not exactly the feat you make it, but something that's normal for those who don't have their head up their own youknowwhat and are willing to try things.
  • DaMan - Dreamweaver
    DaMan - Dreamweaver Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Besides those special and expensive pet scrolls, you do need a herc to be a useful veno later on. As any person gets higher in levels they realize clerics aren't just healers, mages aren't just DDs, and that every class has potential beyond the initial limitations that are imposed by the general, unskilled populous. Nonetheless, those general standards were brought to the forefront early on in PWI -- which has changed dramatically since 2008 (some of the guides currently sticky'd were from back then) -- so of course they would be broken eventually. This is not exactly the feat you make it, but something that's normal for those who don't have their head up their own youknowwhat and are willing to try things.

At what point do you absolutly have to have a herc? I've been more than capable up to this point with out one but if I feel that if you absolutly had to have something to play this game they would have put it in game in the first place so you can get it some how. for example I don't absolutly need a charm, yes it's nice but I do well enough without those. If there comes a point when I absolutly need a herc, I will absolutly call a barb and cleric friend.
    I'm not anti-herc, I'm anti-bad veno!!!
  • DaWoman - Dreamweaver
    DaWoman - Dreamweaver Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I only partly agree, as there are moments when one should be told how to play..... such as a playing in a manner that could hinder the progress of others; such as:
    A BM in a gamma squad who just stands within the zhen until the boss comes. There's a difference between playing in creative ways, and playing horribly, whether intentionally or unintentionally, and believing that you're the strongest ever in such in a way.
    But at the same time, there isn't one best path that should be used, such as a veno desperately needing a herc.

I completely agree, there's definitely a time and a place where people should be corrected and given a bit of guidance, I'm not against that... I'm against telling people what they can and can't do just because of the class they chose. And did anyone notice I didn't put Assassin or Psychic at the top of the list? That's because, to me, we're still discovering what these classes can do and how they fit into our "Perfect World". And to be honest I haven't seen a thread like this before... but I don't exactly stalk the threads on the forums either. I just know that as a faction leader and friend to many many free-form thinking individuals I get so many complaints about people trying to make others conform to the stereotypical roles they believe they should play into just because of the class they happen to have chosen. I do agree that each class has their strong points, and they're fairly clearly marked... Barbs=aggro/dd, clerics= heal/dd, etc. But I also think that they should be given the choice to explore what their character is capable of doing without being ridiculed because "that's not what I was told". I look forward to seeing the creativity being brought to the classes in game. And I also agree that part of the reason is Oracle babies and power levelers, but it's not all their fault. And really oracle babies in general is PWI's fault.

But, I digress... In short, I just wanted those that are changing it up to know that not everyone is against them. And maybe for those that are guilty of trying to make someone into what they think they should be to open their eyes a bit and appreciate the originality.

Thanks for all your replies so far :)
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    At what point do you absolutly have to have a herc? I've been more than capable up to this point with out one but if I feel that if you absolutly had to have something to play this game they would have put it in game in the first place so you can get it some how. for example I don't absolutly need a charm, yes it's nice but I do well enough without those. If there comes a point when I absolutly need a herc, I will absolutly call a barb and cleric friend.
    It would be relatively pointless to argue one facet of my post when it's clear you purposely avoid hercs and have a rather unsubstantiated bias against them.
  • Latentkarma - Lost City
    Latentkarma - Lost City Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    If you don't play your class as I tell you to play it, because I have played every class there is to 150 and know how to play them all so well that God asks me for advice on how to play his toons so you all suck and need to listen to me and play as I tell you to play because I have played every class like I said before and you all don't know how to play your class and you need to listen to me and take my advice because I know how to play all the classes so well that nobody is as good as me and you all suck.

/end sarcasm
  • Pressa - Heavens Tear
    Pressa - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    It would be relatively pointless to argue one facet of my post when it's clear you purposely avoid hercs and have a rather unsubstantiated bias against them.

Well tell me? Where do you have to have a herc? I have been in every single instance in the game fought every mob in the game at one point or another and I have still not found a instance where herc was an absolute necessity. Please be quiet because you do not have a clue what you are talking about.

Hmmm perhaps I should elaborate more I even have a herc and know its not necessary to have it. Its a luxury item and if you can't afford it you shouldn't worry about it because people are pig headed and don't know what they are spewing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • losstarot
    losstarot Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Unique builds and tactics are fine... if they're effective. Problem is, they usually aren't and winds up affecting everyone. When I've seen a Cleric refuse to heal with a weapon because "it makes her look bad," a Sin numerously attempt to rush the mobs in fb59, Archers always using Sharptooth on non-boss mobs, Barbs refusing to tank in tiger because their "damage is too low," and BMs believing they should NEVER go multipath, something is up.

Of course, one must respect out-of-the-box thinking upon seeing things like a level 65 Barb successfully tank Mantavip (all of which has happened in the past couple days).
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Besides those special and expensive pet scrolls, you do need a herc to be a useful veno later on.

No. Just no.

This is like saying you that if you want to be a useful archer you need a +12 lunar bow sharded with two drakeflame stones.

You must be one of these "You need to have a Herc in order to be a proper veno and if you don't I will never squad with you for anything because you are totally not useful" people. May I ask you to please get a clue before saying venos need a Herc to be useful, because otherwise you're going to make an **** of yourself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]