Scamming runs rampant=loss of players

Comments

• Alexeno - Sanctuary
    Alexeno - Sanctuary Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    kanel321 wrote: »
    -snip-

no... just no. the point is failed, because if they "had just sold out" then the normal tokens would still be 10-20k (depending on server)

the fact that the normal tokens are in the millions, and the shop title says "Best Luck", means the person is scamming. there is no counterargument to it, and there is no assumption being made

if you can't see that that is a scamshop, then you really are naive

b:thanks

i do however agree that people who fall for scams deserve no sympathy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Hell hath no fury like Alexeno trying to prove his point" -Mizuoni
  • kanel321
    kanel321 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    no... just no. the point is failed, because if they "had just sold out" then the normal tokens would still be 10-20k (depending on server)

the fact that the normal tokens are in the millions, and the shop title says "Best Luck", means the person is scamming. there is no counterargument to it, and there is no assumption being made

if you can't see that that is a scamshop, then you really are naive

b:thanks

i do however agree that people who fall for scams deserve no sympathy
    Okay lets look at some facts :

A person with a catshop can sell at whatever price they chose - FACT
    GMS have not said that this will result in bans- FACT
    There is currently no policy that states that catshop names have to be accurate to what is being sold- FACT

Common Sense will prevent you from being scammed -FACT

You can open a catshop and sell your best token for 10 mil and your regular for 6 if u want to . Stuipid , but is your choice. Untill one of the devs comes and says hey we will start banning people then they are not breaking any rules. Me and you can discuss all day but we both know that in the end in West arch there is going to be people doing this. PWE's policy still will not change and people are going to complaining about being scammed. Nothing that we discuss in this thread will change anything. People can get mad and call these scammers out and such but untill PWE makes regualtions then unfortunately its all fair game. You are putting a label of scammer on these people but you and I mean nothing. It is up to PWE to label those ppl as scammers and that has not been done yet,
  • Aquilonian - Dreamweaver
    Aquilonian - Dreamweaver Posts: 244 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    might want to edit the name on the second pic b:chuckle

Why? Why would I do that? They are not doing anything Illegal. There is no "wrongdoing" here missy. This is not an "allegation" or "slandering". its a fact for all to see. There is no "accussations" of anything.

This person is mearly selling a mystical orb for 35,000,000. Maybe he really likes this particular orb and its very valuable to him. This could be his great grandfathers orb, and he recently passed away. Could be that the sentimental value its very great for this orb.

That his shops' name says "LUNAR W35MIL" could mearly be a COINsidence. It could just be a name. like walmart. It has no bearing, suggestion or implication of whats actually being sold. what is a ""lunar w35mil"?

Maybe he ALSO had a lunar weapon for 35 million. Have you asked yourself that? I mearly point this out cause that is clearly a mystical orb.
    b:laugh
    b:pleased
    "Let's all be reasonable here. PWI hasn't fully kept their word about anything since the "Permanent" Charm Packs. This is just another example. We should be used to it by now." -Isala
  • kanel321
    edited September 2009
    Why? Why would I do that? They are not doing anything Illegal. There is no "wrongdoing" here missy. This is not an "allegation" or "slandering". its a fact for all to see. There is no "accussations" of anything.

This person is mearly selling a mystical orb for 35,000,000. Maybe he really likes this particular orb and its very valuable to him. This could be his great grandfathers orb, and he recently passed away. Could be that the sentimental value its very great for this orb.

That his shops' name says "LUNAR W35MIL" could mearly be a COINsidence. It could just be a name. like walmart. It has no bearing, suggestion or implication of whats actually being sold. what is a ""lunar w35mil"?

Maybe he ALSO had a lunar weapon for 35 million. Have you asked yourself that? I mearly point this out cause that is clearly a mystical orb.
    b:laugh
    b:pleased
    exactly!!

When PWE calls them scammers, I will too
  • Eternalnub - Heavens Tear
    Eternalnub - Heavens Tear Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    stop talking strawberries...gimmee coinz NAO b:kiss
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I'm not saying in any way that he SHOULD have fallen for the scam, especially having fallen for one in the past. I'm saying that scammers should be dealt with *points to terms of service* and those terms by which every player is contracted to agree to should be backed.

It's called an analogy, drawing parallels, not parallels of equal proportion, but things along the same line, I'm saying in both cases there's a victim and a wrongdoer and that accusing the victim of being at fault is ludacris.

Its not ludicrous (you've been hearing too much rap mayhaps?) I'll provide a better analogy. If I walk into the street blindfolded and get hit by a object (moving or not moving) is it the objects fault I got hit? Do you yourself not check the items in the shop regardless of the name? b:surrender
    * goes off to make an character in Heaven's tear to set up a shop named Lunar weapons only 20k coins each. jk jk*
    Also sowwy about your friend leaving obviously he didn't like PWI much to begin with...it's only coins seriously...pretty much any mob drops hundreds of it... but alas your friend is a typical human who believes that an item is somehow magically worth more then it's actual value...
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alexeno - Sanctuary
    edited September 2009
    Okay lets look at some facts :

A person with a catshop can sell at whatever price they chose - FACT
    yes, there is nothing wrong with this
    GMS have not said that this will result in bans- FACT
    There is currently no policy that states that catshop names have to be accurate to what is being sold- FACT
    true, but usually the only reason you wouldn't specify what you are actually selling is to put some eye-catching artsy text codes or a funny joke

Common Sense will prevent you from being scammed -FACT

You can open a catshop and sell your best token for 10 mil and your regular for 6 if u want to . Stuipid , but is your choice. Untill one of the devs comes and says hey we will start banning people then they are not breaking any rules.
    yes, and this would not be scamming, however no one in their right mind will buy at those prices, therefore the items would never sell
    Me and you can discuss all day but we both know that in the end in West arch there is going to be people doing this.
    scamming, yes. selling at those prices? no.
    PWE's policy still will not change and people are going to complaining about being scammed.
    of course, we all know this
    Nothing that we discuss in this thread will change anything.
    true, and GMs have stated numerous times elsewhere that threads like this will never change anything
    People can get mad and call these scammers out and such but untill PWE makes regualtions then unfortunately its all fair game.
    it most definitely is not fair game. scamming is against the Terms of Service, and is bannable. and in the example i have given, it is indeed a scam (and that example is clarifying what any "catshop scam" thread is about)
    You are putting a label of scammer on these people but you and I mean nothing. It is up to PWE to label those ppl as scammers and that has not been done yet,
    the GMs cannot outright label these as scams in any publicly available location, which means that we (you and i, as well as all the rest of the players) will never see the scammers receiving the banhammer

i went ahead and split this one up b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• kanel321
    edited September 2009
    i went ahead and split this one up b:cute
    Thank you ! you just proved my point with this : yes, and this would not be scamming, however no one in their right mind will buy at those prices, therefore the items would never sell - end quote.

People are not looking at what they buy, that is the whole point and as you said the icons look the same, you would not fall for it but there are plenty who would and call you a scammer for it .
  • Alexeno - Sanctuary
    edited September 2009
    -snip-

i give up. you have earned this:

doublefacepalm.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Mad_Doc - Sanctuary
    Mad_Doc - Sanctuary Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Thank you ! you just proved my point with this : yes, and this would not be scamming, however no one in their right mind will buy at those prices, therefore the items would never sell - end quote.

People are not looking at what they buy, that is the whole point and as you said the icons look the same, you would not fall for it but there are plenty who would and call you a scammer for it .

After all the discussion, it seems reading this quote has made me facepalmed myself. Wow you are amazing in the way you try to justify your scamming...errr...rationalizing actions.
    edited September 2009
    I saw a rather interesting scammer just the other day. He was selling Mystical Fragments in two stacks. On Dreamweaver they sell for 20-25k each but he had them up for 10k a piece in the first stack & 100k in the second stack.

So I bought all the 10k ones & he closed down shop shortly afterward & I never saw him again... b:victory

Also while I am annoyed about the whole token thing but considering how common it is I was wondering... is it only a few that i scamming and the rest simply followed the crowd thinking it was market price?

This is why scamming should be allowed. The chance to get great deals.
    YoU ARE MY HERO!!!

But seriously whats the big deal about being scammed? If you were being **** that would be serious and cause for action. However if you were being ignorant and stupid then you shouldn't get a cookie... Besides you obviously knew you were being scammed...obviously you knew you were exchanging millions of coins for an item and you don't even bother to check what it is? That's pretty hard to believe...

scam "victim" 1. oh me gawd I didn't bother to read what I bought b:puzzled QQ~~b:beatenup IGNORED GO LEARN YOUR LESSON! b:shedtear

Now as for those item icon I also would like them to switch the icons as it is sometimes annoying but that doesn't look like it's in the to do list for the Devs.
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BratFury - Heavens Tear
    BratFury - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,293 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    That's like saying to a **** victim, why weren't you wearing a chastity belt.

Just wrong, thats all I'll say.
    Just be glad no real **** victims are here to see that statement, otherwise you'd have some real problems on your hand.

Not all victims choose to live as victims forever. Therefore; many silenty see those kind of analogies/responses and cringe.

But lets back up and see the truth for a minute. Scammers are just a bi product of what this game has allowed them to be. The blame in its entirety lies with the company of PWI itself. If they would take a few hours and run thru and change all the things with alike icons, people would know exactly what they are looking at.

That said, scammers suck. The prey on victims they hope are too stupid to see what they are doing, then play the "gotcha" card. Learn to look at what you are getting. You have to agree to the transaction, not just once; but twice. You can not ever claim the victim in a case where you had full opportunity 2 times to back out and say NO DEAL!!!!

A better analogy would be if you see 2 types of Apples and one claims to taste better than the other, wouldn't you want to SEE for yourself? Rather than take someones word for it? Always know what you're buying, you do it in real life; why not expect the same people in the game you encounter in real life????? That dude sitting on the street corner selling you a brand new plasma tv for 200 bucks, is not going to be as reliable as the Sears dept store selling the same thing.

As I tell my children "Life's tough kid, get a helmet!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aquilonian - Dreamweaver
    Aquilonian - Dreamweaver Posts: 244 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    exactly!!

When PWE calls them scammers, I will too

No man I was just being a d****e on my last post, that guy was trolling hardcore. I dont need PWE to tell me.

But you are correct that he did nothing wrong according to the rules set forth. There is nothing wrong with that according to PWE so it really is just a guy selling a mystical orb for 35Million. heck even that celestone fragment could be priced at 35million and those pills too. even 999 million. Buyers choice to purchase them.

Still...Its a little depressing to see. Taking advantage of people isn't cool. Sorry I was just not raised like that.
    "Let's all be reasonable here. PWI hasn't fully kept their word about anything since the "Permanent" Charm Packs. This is just another example. We should be used to it by now." -Isala
  • BratFury - Heavens Tear
    BratFury - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,293 Arc User
    edited September 2009

Still...Its a little depressing to see. Taking advantage of people isn't cool. Sorry I was just not raised like that.

That right there my friend is what it comes down to. You can not expect people on a game to act any different than the people you see in real life. I was raised to be respectful, always to do the honorable thing. I may not have 500 bazillion coins on here b/c I choose to do the right thing, but I have the pride in self that I'm a good person, and do the honorable thing.

Likely, those taking advantage of people on this game, are the same ones sitting in an apartment on a computer that their best friend is paying for. Who is working to pay the rent, the electric bill, and for groceries. While the scammer sits and takes advantage of pixels and his best friend all day long.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2009
    That right there my friend is what it comes down to. You can not expect people on a game to act any different than the people you see in real life. I was raised to be respectful, always to do the honorable thing. I may not have 500 bazillion coins on here b/c I choose to do the right thing, but I have the pride in self that I'm a good person, and do the honorable thing.

Likely, those taking advantage of people on this game, are the same ones sitting in an apartment on a computer that their best friend is paying for. Who is working to pay the rent, the electric bill, and for groceries. While the scammer sits and takes advantage of pixels and his best friend all day long.

^^this d(^.-d)
    more people should be raised like you and be more like you. (^.^)
    unfortunately the people on Perfect World come from an Unperfect World...so...ya..b:sad
    58% chance to get tokens
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Coraline - Lost City
    Coraline - Lost City Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Everyone is saying with the crazy prices no one will buy, which is not true, since people ARE buying to make these scammers keep going. I remember when the nix's first came out, and someone put a turtle egg in a cat shop and called it a nix. Soon enough, someone was silly enough to buy it for 10mil if i remember correctly. Why? because, its a new item, everyone wants it, everyone is in a rush to buy it and they don't think. Guess what? That's what scammers like.

Example time. This is not really a scam but w/e. Say, its 1 day before Halloween, the candy prices jack sky high. Why? People want it, and are rushing to get it last minute so they rush and don't care about the price until they come back and look and say, "Omg i bought a bag of candy for 7 bucks". Bad example but you get it.

If someone wants something really bad and in a rush, most of the time, they don't check and end up spending way more money then they should have. Now, not justifying the same icon deal but I'm just saying, people need to take their time. I mean come on, its a game, the item will be there, just take your time, hover over the icon and use your head.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

eatswithspoons "*roll eyes* real money for virtual property? That's definitely not allowed"

Lol what?
  • turtlewax
    turtlewax Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    .. if someone buys my best tokens and I just have regular ones left. ...

If you sold both, and ran out of Best Luck Tokens, you'd have the regular Luck Tokens at prices that are reasonable for them. People buying those could just sell them - possible with minimal loss.

It would however be rather different if you had a couple of Best Luck Tokens and a stack of Luck Tokens both for Best Luck Token prices. That would be scamming.
  • Quinnie - Heavens Tear
    Quinnie - Heavens Tear Posts: 314 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    another classic case of some1 that fails to check the item(s) he/she is buying. always check if its the correct item/price u buy. if u buy something like a blind idiot without checking just cause the shop name says *lunar weapon 10m* then i dont feel sorry u got ripped off. never expect that every1 is a saint.

and just to clear a point it isnt scamming, its just looking for that person that doesnt look furter then the shop name. its a fail of the person him/her self that buys it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ColdSnow - Dreamweaver
    ColdSnow - Dreamweaver Posts: 983 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    another classic case of some1 that fails to check the item(s) he/she is buying. always check if its the correct item/price u buy. if u buy something like a blind idiot without checking just cause the shop name says *lunar weapon 10m* then i dont feel sorry u got ripped off. never expect that every1 is a saint.

and just to clear a point it isnt scamming, its just looking for that person that doesnt look furter then the shop name. its a fail of the person him/her self that buys it.

EXACTLY! People realise that this guy got scummed TWICE and that he did pay for item 38mil!!!! WITHOUT checking the item!
    I hate scammers myself and put my stuff in AH anyway, but consider the fact:

SELLER decides on price
    if he has more stuff to sell then token ...and is selling a perfect token for 4,5mil saying in his description: B/S>tokens then its NOT SCAM. If someone advertise on world chat, he is selling best token for 4mil and is trading a perfect one with buyer then IT IS SCAM.
    So in this case (1st post) we dont know what realy happened. What if he was just checking some shops and found it randomly. The kitty shop didn't had any description on it? So ITS NOT SCAM.
    If the guy told him before what he was selling? Then IT IS SCAM.
    But for me...i think he must be realy an ******* *****....to buy an item for 38mil and NOT check it! So fact is: he is over lvl90+ cause he could afford a lunar weapon! My reaction to this? -.- omg a lvl90+ who is falling for a scammer....and loosing 38mil!!!!!
    I don't pity stupidity.
    If i m trolling and spamming on forum...then i cant sleep and need a good laugh
  • Roov - Heavens Tear
    Roov - Heavens Tear Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    The one thing in the OP that seems to have been overlooked is that, after being scammed the first time his friend submitted a ticket. To which the reply was they found no records of the shop ever existing. Now barring human error when those records were searched, would mean that it is his friend that is running the scam. Not saying it's fact in this case, but we've all seen people cry "scammed" and "****" just to get those extra hand outs from people.

This is a true confidence game, as it reels you into trusting the person, liking them, becoming friends. And if you ever question their honesty then it's "How dare you blame a victim", and "How horrid of a human being are you?" A lot of the time the person this con is run on, wouldn't even let it get to the point of accusations. They'd feel horrible about feeling that way about the con man, or would have a hard time admitting to themselves they were so easily fooled, and this is why it's employed.

There are real victims in life of some truly horrid things, but there are also those who cry victim at the drop of a hat. Whether it's for sympathy, material gain, or worse, to absolve yourself of personal responsibility, it's all disgusting behavior. Not because of the lie, but because you choose to act weak and helpless and that nothing in your life is in your control. Act a certain way long enough and you will become that way.

And for those that think I'm heartless, I'll leave a few warnings that deal with more recent posts on more descriptive names for shops, you know, to help save you from yourselves.

1)The 99 cent store, not only would it cost way more than .99 to buy the store...it's not even for sale -SCAM!!!!

2) The Dollar Tree...there's no tree anywhere in the damned store, let alone for a buck. -SCAM!!!!!
  • Shao_on_Fire - Heavens Tear
    Shao_on_Fire - Heavens Tear Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Ok, tell me this, you think you found a great deal, it's advertised as being something, so you buy it, it's not that something. That's not your fault...

Yes, it is your fault. Quit being bad at the game and pay attention- there are pages of people telling you to quit QQing for a reason. All you have to do is check the item yourself; here, let me help you:

1.) open the trade window/catshop screen.
    2.) before placing money in the window, hold your mouse over the item you wish to purchase.
    3.) verify that the item name is indeed what you wish to purchase.
    4.) pay for the item.

Following these 4 simple steps will lead you to moar pew pew, less QQ.
    kkthxbai.
  • Redmenace - Heavens Tear
    Redmenace - Heavens Tear Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Man - I've seen some Whoppers in this thread, but this was the message I *really* liked. Check this out.
    The one thing in the OP that seems to have been overlooked is that, after being scammed the first time his friend submitted a ticket. To which the reply was they found no records of the shop ever existing. Now barring human error when those records were searched, would mean that it is his friend that is running the scam.

Were you involved in the OP's situation? Were *you* the friend OP was referring to? Why do you believe (strike that - why are you *telling everyone*) that OP was trying to scam PWI in some "help me - I just dropped 50 million coin and a Bad Man took it from me" scheme?

Smooth.

Then here's the very next line.
    Not saying it's fact in this case, but we've all seen people cry "scammed" and "****" just to get those extra hand outs from people.

"I'm not sayin' OP is a scamming bastage, but since I've seen others try this, I assume that's what's going on here."

You should take up politics. We have an entire political party here that's doing land-office business in Big Whopper Lies like this one, and you are showing some real promise.

Stay Classy!

RedMenace
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • RedBetty - Harshlands
    RedBetty - Harshlands Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited September 2009

The FOURTH of my friends lost in the last 3 weeks to scamming just happened today

it very much seems that people in your area arent able to read.
    why would u ever NOT double check all trade values/items?

this thread is just personal QQ.
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Man - I've seen some Whoppers in this thread, but this was the message I *really* liked. Check this out.

Were you involved in the OP's situation? Were *you* the friend OP was referring to? Why do you believe (strike that - why are you *telling everyone*) that OP was trying to scam PWI in some "help me - I just dropped 50 million coin and a Bad Man took it from me" scheme?

Smooth.

Then here's the very next line.

"I'm not sayin' OP is a scamming bastage, but since I've seen others try this, I assume that's what's going on here."

You should take up politics. We have an entire political party here that's doing land-office business in Big Whopper Lies like this one, and you are showing some real promise.

Stay Classy!

RedMenace

Since in this thread we all are assuming that the the poor high level that did not pay attention got scammed, why can't he assume that it was the high level that was trying to scam PWE or his "friend" even?

Both scenarious are possible, right?

Didn't you see on the news about that bride that ran away and claimed she was kidnaped just to admit weeks later that it was not true?

Or the kid recently on the news that told police he was kidnaped and lost his backpack so he did not have to give his report card to his parents?

Or even the case of the Duke University LaCross players.......

There are plenty of cases of people doing what the poster is suggesting....
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Redmenace - Heavens Tear
    Redmenace - Heavens Tear Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Red, since in this thread we all are assuming that the the poor high level that did not pay attention got scammed, why can't he assume that it was the high level that was scamming?

Both scenarious are possible, right?

Didn't you see on the news about that bride that ran away and claimed she was kidnaped just to admit weeks later that it was not true?

Or the kid recently on the news that told police he was kidnaped and lost his backpack so he did not have to give his report card to his parents?

Or even the case of the Duke University LaCross players.......

There are plenty of cases of people doing what the poster is suggesting....

Heck, I'm as jaded as anyone else here, but I always strive to assume people are *not* complete sleazebags -first-, until proven otherwise.

What kind of idiot (yea, I know - silly question to ask *here*) would post in the forums about how their latest scam against the GMs didn't work?

<shrugs>

RedMenace
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert A. Heinlein
    edited September 2009
    Heck, I'm as jaded as anyone else here, but I always strive to assume people are *not* complete sleazebags -first-, until proven otherwise.

What kind of idiot (yea, I know - silly question to ask *here*) would post in the forums about how their latest scam against the GMs didn't work?

<shrugs>

RedMenace

Didn't you see the news conferences involving the bride case and the Duke player cases????

They went on national TV and flat out LIED about it.

And they are not saying it failed, they are saying the GMs would not help them..... Trying to get our outrage and force the GMs to give in to popular pressure..... or something like that....

Scamming is bad, and it can happen in more places than just a catshop....
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Poison - Heavens Tear
    Poison - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,444 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    the Duke player cases????

They went on national TV and flat out LIED about it.

I lived in the area, that's all I heard about for months. b:angry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Roov - Heavens Tear
    Roov - Heavens Tear Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    In no way was I saying the OP was the one scamming as I READ his post and know the story was about his friend. I was saying that perhaps his FRIEND was running a scam on him.

Reading comprehension Red, I know they must teach something similar to this still.

Edited to capatolize words so skim readers will less likely misinterpret. Another "saving you from you" service from the good people here at Roov&Roov.
    edited September 2009
    In no way was I saying the OP was the one scamming as I READ his post and know the story was about his friend. I was saying that perhaps his FRIEND was running a scam on him.

Reading comprehension Red, I know they must teach something similar to this still.

I think we are all on the same page here, we have been talking about the "high level player that was not paying attention and got scammed", also known as the OP's "friend".

Since english is not everyone's first language, sometimes you kind of have to be able to read between the lines as well....
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    The one thing in the OP that seems to have been overlooked is that, after being scammed the first time his friend submitted a ticket. To which the reply was they found no records of the shop ever existing. Now barring human error when those records were searched, would mean that it is his friend that is running the scam. Not saying it's fact in this case, but we've all seen people cry "scammed" and "****" just to get those extra hand outs from people.
    You know, that just proves my point. The goal here isn't to appease victims who QQ, or to make the world a safer place for them. You're not going to be able to figure out every possible type of scam, or even figure out who is being truthful. So any advice to "be careful" is insufficient since you can still fall victim even if you are careful.

Instead, the goal should be to discourage the type of person who would run a scam. Discourage them enough to (if they are a compulsive scammer) move to a different game where scamming is not as harshly enforced. Or if they're normally an honest person, discourage it enough that they stay honest.

If you rely entirely on the "buyer beware" mantra, you end up with a population where nobody trusts anyone else, and acts of goodwill are looked upon with suspicion by the "perpetrator". If you want a society where people are willing to trust each other, buyer beware has to be coupled with some sort of reprimand for the type of behavior (scamming) that you're telling people to beware of.
This discussion has been closed.