Scamming runs rampant=loss of players

Comments

• Calliope - Heavens Tear
    Calliope - Heavens Tear Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I can't be sure that this thread is to blame, but there are now 3-4 of these scammers set up in west arch. "Raising awareness" cuts both ways, it seems. :(
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    StormHydra - Sanctuary Posts: 2,221 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    This is the reason i have lost faith in all of humanity. No common sense at all.

THE DEATH OF COMMON SENSE.
    Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, life isn't always fair, and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a six year old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they themselves failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer Panadol, sun lotion or a Band Aid to a student but could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband, churches became businesses, and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar can sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason.

He is survived by three stepbrothers; I Know My Rights, Someone Else is to Blame, and I'm A Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realised he was gone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |Active: Coalescence - Lost City, Wizard|
    |Inactive: StormHydra - Sanctuary, Archer|
    |Call of Duty: Black Ops|League of Legends|Forsaken World|Perfect World International|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
  • Dustinmurphy - Harshlands
    Dustinmurphy - Harshlands Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    This thread made me lol I see the OP is lvl 100 (didn't read the post)
    did OP get scammed and got mad and created a thread?Also OP pwi isn't losing **** because the only people who get scammed are the ones without a brain.
    If anniversary pack threads keep getting made I'll keep trolling them until there isn't anymore!b:bye
  • Tigerrawr - Harshlands
    Tigerrawr - Harshlands Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Scamming? I havn't seen much. There was a Token Of Luck for 400,000 in a cat shop though. I was like "omg". I hope people thought the Token was of Luck, no Best luck like the shop said. I saw I happen twice. I'm not sure if anyone bought it, but with all my money with all my charaters combinded... I'l never even reach 150,000
  • ColdSnow - Dreamweaver
    ColdSnow - Dreamweaver Posts: 983 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Well what to say:

S**** happens.

After FIRST time, your friend should have learned that there are scammers around.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me!

Scammers are everywhere even in real life and its not fault of the goverment (GMs) that ppl are falling for it.

And yes..with 38mil i would have checked 15 times before pushing the button "COMMIT" and "TRADE".
    If i m trolling and spamming on forum...then i cant sleep and need a good laugh
  • TamerOfGods - Sanctuary
    TamerOfGods - Sanctuary Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    This is just sad... Some poor player will fall for this. Today, there was three players saying they got scammed. I Know... They should have checked before clicking BUY. But should this be happening? should scammers, or players trying to scam be punished? b:shocked
    By The Way, this player was advertising "Token Of Best Luck"
    pwi-20090921-023603.png?t=1253528531
  • ColdSnow - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2009
    This is just sad... Some poor player will fall for this. Today, there was three players saying they got scammed. I Know... They should have checked before clicking BUY. But should this be happening? should scammers, or players trying to scam be punished? b:shocked

Did he wrote in Description above his head, that he is selling best luck? If not..its totaly legal to set price as he wants to. Its players decision to buy it or not.
  • turtlewax
    turtlewax Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    That is what he said; "this player was advertising "Token Of Best Luck" "

StormHydra, it sure would be a blessing if your version of common sense did indeed die.
    You don't just run into a grocery store, see an "on sale" sign and just grab anything from that general area. No, you make sure it's the item that's on sale.

And I don't open the box to check that the content is really what was advertized and written on the box, or to check that the content isn't spoiled.

I don't do those things because I can trust that I'll get a proper replacement should I find out (at home) that the article was lacking. We need to be able to rely on such simple trusts to make everyday live go smoothly and without that basic trust we'd be carrying around scales and opening packages to sniff on it's contents.
  • Acidbaze - Lost City
    Acidbaze - Lost City Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    This is the reason i have lost faith in all of humanity. No common sense at all.

THE DEATH OF COMMON SENSE.
    Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, life isn't always fair, and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a six year old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they themselves failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer Panadol, sun lotion or a Band Aid to a student but could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband, churches became businesses, and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar can sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason.

He is survived by three stepbrothers; I Know My Rights, Someone Else is to Blame, and I'm A Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realised he was gone.

as me and my gf was saying just the other day this post is op and very true . maybe instead of school for math ,english, etc etc .... there should be a school required by law to learn common sense. it only takes a sec to look at things and know if its rigth or wrong and as for a person that false advertises something that purely,willingly and knowing doing wrong and so i do belive that there should be a cosquence to this actoin being that it was willingly known they where scamming ,,but as common sense know look at what ur buying otherwise if u dont stfu and quit QQing
  • Mavado - Harshlands
    Mavado - Harshlands Posts: 728 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    turtlewax wrote: »

StormHydra, it sure would be a blessing if your version of common sense did indeed die.

And I don't open the box to check that the content is really what was advertized and written on the box, or to check that the content isn't spoiled.

I don't do those things because I can trust that I'll get a proper replacement should I find out (at home) that the article was lacking. We need to be able to rely on such simple trusts to make everyday live go smoothly and without that basic trust we'd be carrying around scales and opening packages to sniff on it's contents.

Trust and all that does perfectly well in life, but in a game(as well as some instances in life) trust cannot exist because the internet gives people a belief that they don't have to be honest because they believe, or there actually is, no consequences for doing what they do. So while we can trust a store for our products, we can't trust random people we don't know; would you buy something off of e-bay without worrying that the item is not as it was described?
    And as for running smoothly, i agree that in life it helps it run smoothly, but in a game where it is extremely easy to check things to ensure a correct transaction there is no real inconvenience, only laziness.
    One more point: In life if you get ripped off you can usually fix the situation; in this game, like so many others, there is a small chance that the mistake cannot be corrected, as the OP stated happened to his friend.

So, i still love the analogies, but please.... stop comparing a game in which there is no law enforcement(you know... the thing that makes it possible for things like trust and stuff happen?) to real life.... these analogies just don't work. (i still love all the analogies in this thread though) b:dirty
    >_< I'm a wizard in disguise... you know like the old cartoon... except with less robots and more fire/ice/rocks....
  • ColdSnow - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2009
    turtlewax wrote: »

Well i do check it....since almost everything "on sale" has one hitch. And its not like we have to "open the packages" on PWI. It's pretty obvious what we buy. If ppl feel pressure to buy it and fall for scammers, its their own fault.

And how you want to stop the scammers? Like every GM has to check every kitty-shop and decide if the price is set right or not....i wouldnt do it. I pitty ppl who fall for scammers, but it's neither mine nor GMs fault for ppls naivity. Cause we know humans can LIE, BETRAY and KILL.

The only thing you can you do now, is to give your friend a hand to get some cash back. My friends char got ****..he is completely nacked. I went on RB got shards and 500k, gave it to him. I sold stuff i didnt need and made for him a regular gear. Thats what friends are for and if your friend dont feel like playing anymore, give him a reason and chance to go on...
  • daemonnnn
    daemonnnn Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    What the good people of pwi would like to say is...

Scamming is good. It should be very much so encouraged. Scammers are intelligent human beings and their victims are idiotic nubcakes who fully deserve punishment. If you are currently not trying to scam someone you're an idiot, please start scamming freely now. In a perfect world everyone would scam and no one would be trusted. Scam victims would be banned and locked away for their stupidity. GM's must NEVER do anything about this fair and wonderful marketing method. Also those complaining deserve to be banned and flamed and verbally abused until they never speak again. Kthxbai.

you sir. are ****..scamming is something you have to live with yes,but to scam is not being smart..is not living outside the game,having nothing better to do then to ruin other peoples fun just cause you want to be the best on A CRAPPY F2P GAME..you are fail my friend,for you suck at life and the only way you can be happy is by making others miserable...glad not all of PWI thinks like you
  • Wolfgore - Heavens Tear
    Wolfgore - Heavens Tear Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    EVERY ONE - E V E R Y O N E, can get scummed.

So to those saying that its the buyers fault, i hope some time you get scummed too, i wanna see what you r gonna say then.

Things like this encourage the scummers to keep doing what they do best, being low lifes, leeching, taking advantage of ppl that feel happy after being able to gather some money to buy something that they wanted sooo much.

Such people DO NOT deserve to be in our community.

I know that some of the people posted here have scummed too, so...i rest my case. b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ColdSnow - Dreamweaver
    edited September 2009
    EVERY ONE - E V E R Y O N E, can get scummed.

So to those saying that its the buyers fault, i hope some time you get scummed too, i wanna see what you r gonna say then.

Things like this encourage the scummers to keep doing what they do best, being low lifes, leeching, taking advantage of ppl that feel happy after being able to gather some money to buy something that they wanted sooo much.

Such people DO NOT deserve to be in our community.

I know that some of the people posted here have scummed too, so...i rest my case. b:bye

Dude...this guy got scummed TWICE. We all know scummers s*** but how you gonna fix it? He payed 38mil...and didnt check before buying? So whats the meaning of this theard anyway? Should we start to beg from GMs to check all kittys? To go through all prices? Like we dont have eyes and brain to check it ourselve....

Oh and btw..i got scummed as noob as well (lol lucky box for 100k "wth is lucky box?")...but then it was my fault not to check it and trust players. But hey...IT NEVER HAPPENED AGAIN cause i learned my lesson.

Your phislosophy is respectable but its like saying this world is made only of good people who wins over bad one. Thats not how it works.
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    XylolyX - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I got scammed once...bought shabbys that were advertised as blemished. I was quite angry. Never happened again.

I do like and appreciate and LOL at the ppl that set up catshops next to scammers with shop names like "<<- fake blemished."

I realized after I got scammed that there are ppl in PWI that just want coin. I've also run into newbs that run around high lvl places asking for drops and trying to steal coin from aoe grinders. I told one to leave me alone and got a wonderful reply that starts with "F." LOL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
  • turtlewax
    turtlewax Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    ... they don't have to be honest because they believe, or there actually is, no consequences for doing what they do. ...

Rolling up and (temp) banning of these catshop scammers could be the (online) consequences they face for their dishonesty. I can not combine the notion that the ability to be dishonest and scam without consequences will promote such behaviour with the opposition to the idea of imposing consequences to such dishonest behaviour.
    And how you want to stop the scammers? Like every GM has to check every kitty-shop and decide if the price is set right or not....i wouldnt do it. ...

They don't have to check every shop, people can, and do report what they believe are scams. Some scams are pretty obvious (judging from the stories we hear about), but if a GM thought that there could be just a mistake, simply booting the character would give them the opportunity to log back on and setup shop with more realistic advertizing.
  • daemonnnn
    edited September 2009
    lmao that's a scammer wanna be for you..they start out small..as i see it they're fat kids that get bulled and that in fact...are ****...nothing against **** or fat kids...but not all of them end up to learn things and become good ppl,do they :P
  • Cenminator - Dreamweaver
    Cenminator - Dreamweaver Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    its really easy guys. if you scroll your cursor over the item you are thinking about buying, it shows you exactly what it is. omg scam avoided, not too hard to figure out. if you bought something for far more then its worth you didn't get scammed, you were just being an idiot, you were in a hurry and didn't look, you were too new to know any better, there is lots of reasons for this but all of them come back to the buyer who made the choice to buy the item
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    XylolyX - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    daemonnnn wrote: »
    lmao that's a scammer wanna be for you..they start out small..as i see it they're fat kids that get bulled and that in fact...are ****...nothing against **** or fat kids...but not all of them end up to learn things and become good ppl,do they :P

Wow! Way to pigeonhole there.

There's scammers from every class, race, nationality, creed, sexual orientation and every size. Geez.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
  • Redmenace - Heavens Tear
    Redmenace - Heavens Tear Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    how about you learn some history on things before trying to correct others?

btw, stop targeting me, or i will report you for harassment b:cute

How about *I* point out you're a Troll, who enjoys jabbing at people when they're down instead of discussing the actual problem?

I'll wait while you fill out the report form. It should be processed soon after all the GM requests to stop the scammers are finished.

any anology where you use real-world situations will be flawed, due to the fact this is a game. true, there's real people on both sides of the ingame transaction, but if the other person is weak-minded enough to be offended by something that's not "real", then there's deeper issues at play

remember people, this is a GAME. anything that happens within the boundaries of the client is NOT REAL

And you have never made a mistake? Every single transaction and move you have made in this game has been *just perfect*?

Either you are *flawless*, or you just get a special rush out of mocking others without your sterling reputation.

Scamming is against the rules in this game. If it's against the rules, then violaters should be punished. They are *not* being punished, or dissuaded at all. If they were, we wouldn't see *near* as many.

So regardless of what you think of OP's gullibility, it's against the rules and is not being addressed by GM's and management.

And when you pull out your M-16 Assault Keyboard to tell me what a n00b I am, here's your preformatted response:

QQmoar

RedMenace

\Bad troll, 3/10 try harder
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • Thelegion - Lost City
    Thelegion - Lost City Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    GMs, your neglecting, and in some cases refusing to do anything about the rampant scamming is losing you more players than you're already losing to "the game that shall not be named". These aren't players that are going to the unnameable game, but players who were planning to stay loyal to PWI. Not players who have simply taken advantage of the choice to play for free, but paying customers. Do you have to dedicate a large amount to scammer reduction? No. Just a few hours a day for one employee to pay attention to worldchat and wander around archosaur looking for false advertisement.

The FOURTH of my friends lost in the last 3 weeks to scamming just happened today, I got a good deal from him on a lunar ornament because he thought he found a good deal on a lunar weapon, only to turn around and be scammed with a mystical orb, 38 million coins spent on a dq item that people would be lucky to sell for 5 thousand. This sorta thing isn't a minor scam like the ultimate substance scam that still floats around from time to time for 60k or so, that's 38 million coins, either 100+ dollars spent on the game or several hundred hours of gameplay lost in an instant to a simple oversight that could've been prevented.

PLEASE take some sort of preventative measures to dissallow severe scamming such as this case. I'd prefer the game to be able to stay running rather than losing customers and in turn losing your income.

milk.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • daemonnnn
    edited September 2009
    How about *I* point out you're a Troll, who enjoys jabbing at people when they're down instead of discussing the actual problem?

I'll wait while you fill out the report form. It should be processed soon after all the GM requests to stop the scammers are finished.

And you have never made a mistake? Every single transaction and move you have made in this game has been *just perfect*?

Either you are *flawless*, or you just get a special rush out of mocking others without your sterling reputation.

Scamming is against the rules in this game. If it's against the rules, then violaters should be punished. They are *not* being punished, or dissuaded at all. If they were, we wouldn't see *near* as many.

So regardless of what you think of OP's gullibility, it's against the rules and is not being addressed by GM's and management.

And when you pull out your M-16 Assault Keyboard to tell me what a n00b I am, here's your preformatted response:

RedMenace

\Bad troll, 3/10 try harder

made me laugh for some reason b:chuckle i want a M-16 keyboard
  • RawVeno - Sanctuary
    RawVeno - Sanctuary Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    So should we report any catshop that is advertising something not in their inventory? like all these ones that are titled "free stuff" or "the cheapest" when they are not? what about the catshop that may have sold the item advertised?
    edited September 2009
    So should we report any catshop that is advertising something not in their inventory? like all these ones that are titled "free stuff" or "the cheapest" when they are not? what about the catshop that may have sold the item advertised?

lol lets also report all the catshops with misspelled advertisements, those are so misleading
  • Divine_Death - Dreamweaver
    Divine_Death - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,491 Arc User
    edited September 2009

Let's say you looked around and then set your price at the lowest for an item, name your shop "Cheapest" and leave for work. I come next to you and sell 10 coins less per item than you. ZOMG YOU LIE *bans*.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Closing this for excess letter Q's" - hawk
  • Redmenace - Heavens Tear
    Redmenace - Heavens Tear Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited September 2009

Yes, RawVeno.

That's exactly what we should do.

<pats gently on head, trying to avoid soft-spot>

RedMenace

\gives RawVeno a lollipop
    \\good job ridiculing an actual issue
    \\\not really, that was mind-numbingly lame
    \\\\put your Safety Helmet back on
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • Paigrande - Harshlands
    Paigrande - Harshlands Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    GMs, your neglecting, and in some cases refusing to do anything about the rampant scamming is losing you more players than you're already losing to "the game that shall not be named". These aren't players that are going to the unnameable game, but players who were planning to stay loyal to PWI. Not players who have simply taken advantage of the choice to play for free, but paying customers. Do you have to dedicate a large amount to scammer reduction? No. Just a few hours a day for one employee to pay attention to worldchat and wander around archosaur looking for false advertisement.

The FOURTH of my friends lost in the last 3 weeks to scamming just happened today, I got a good deal from him on a lunar ornament because he thought he found a good deal on a lunar weapon, only to turn around and be scammed with a mystical orb, 38 million coins spent on a dq item that people would be lucky to sell for 5 thousand. This sorta thing isn't a minor scam like the ultimate substance scam that still floats around from time to time for 60k or so, that's 38 million coins, either 100+ dollars spent on the game or several hundred hours of gameplay lost in an instant to a simple oversight that could've been prevented.

PLEASE take some sort of preventative measures to dissallow severe scamming such as this case. I'd prefer the game to be able to stay running rather than losing customers and in turn losing your income.

Your friend got serrrrrved. Thats wat u got from not paying attention.b:laugh
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
  • RawVeno - Sanctuary
    RawVeno - Sanctuary Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Yes, RawVeno.

That's exactly what we should do.

<pats gently on head, trying to avoid soft-spot>

RedMenace

\gives RawVeno a lollipop
    \\good job ridiculing an actual issue
    \\\not really, that was mind-numbingly lame
    \\\\put your Safety Helmet back on

see kid, that's the real issue, this is only an issue for those too ignorant and in too big of a hurry to make a l33t deal to check an item before they buy. same people that spill coffee on themselves and sue mcdonalds for selling them hot coffee.

/puts on kid gloves and bubble wraps the kiddies so they don't get hurt and hope they never leave the safety of moms basement.
  • Zetarana - Heavens Tear
    Zetarana - Heavens Tear Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I do agree however, that Cat Shops are an incredibly inefficient way to sell items to other players. The Auction House would be ideal if it had a simpler way to search for items (By Name), was more easily accessible from many places on the map, and possibly if it had a longer auction period, different types of auctions and lower fees. As it is now, Cat Shops reward the enterprising "merchant" by limiting information and options.

Why not ban CatShops, get rid of them...

Players will still be able to trade, Item for Coin, or Item for Item.

All transactions will now go through the Auction House...
    The AH already pre-fills the info in so there can be no misleading or typos to prey on the gullible or tired.

This will also cut down on the Lagggggggg in Archo as well.

Add a few more Auction House NPCs or, even better, make it like the Cash Shop, opens with a key combo like alt-O does for the CashShop.

End to Scammers, End to most of the Lag... Win Win, big time...
    Zetarana - Arcane Veno
    Nephandus - Arcane Wizard
    Faction: Nocturne
    edited September 2009
    Why not ban CatShops, get rid of them...

Players will still be able to trade, Item for Coin, or Item for Item.

All transactions will now go through the Auction House...
    The AH already pre-fills the info in so there can be no misleading or typos to prey on the gullible or tired.

This will also cut down on the Lagggggggg in Archo as well.

Add a few more Auction House NPCs or, even better, make it like the Cash Shop, opens with a key combo like alt-O does for the CashShop.

End to Scammers, End to most of the Lag... Win Win, big time...

OMG its a good idea, quick kill it before it gets away
This discussion has been closed.