Scamming runs rampant=loss of players

Lypiphera - Heavens Tear
Lypiphera - Heavens Tear Posts: 289 Arc User
edited September 2009 in General Discussion
GMs, your neglecting, and in some cases refusing to do anything about the rampant scamming is losing you more players than you're already losing to "the game that shall not be named". These aren't players that are going to the unnameable game, but players who were planning to stay loyal to PWI. Not players who have simply taken advantage of the choice to play for free, but paying customers. Do you have to dedicate a large amount to scammer reduction? No. Just a few hours a day for one employee to pay attention to worldchat and wander around archosaur looking for false advertisement.

The FOURTH of my friends lost in the last 3 weeks to scamming just happened today, I got a good deal from him on a lunar ornament because he thought he found a good deal on a lunar weapon, only to turn around and be scammed with a mystical orb, 38 million coins spent on a dq item that people would be lucky to sell for 5 thousand. This sorta thing isn't a minor scam like the ultimate substance scam that still floats around from time to time for 60k or so, that's 38 million coins, either 100+ dollars spent on the game or several hundred hours of gameplay lost in an instant to a simple oversight that could've been prevented.

PLEASE take some sort of preventative measures to dissallow severe scamming such as this case. I'd prefer the game to be able to stay running rather than losing customers and in turn losing your income.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Another wall of text completed.
Post edited by Lypiphera - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Kanye_West - Lost City
    Kanye_West - Lost City Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    lern 2 mouse hover?
  • RawVeno - Sanctuary
    RawVeno - Sanctuary Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Did he quit because he was scammed or just so embarrassed that he made a noob mistake of epic proportions?

if i made a mistake like that i would be so ashamed of myself i would delete my character too.

when you go shopping in the store and see a bag of candy for 5000.00 dollars do you buy it, then complain they ripped you off? look at what you're buying and scammers can't scam.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Try a support ticket next time. They are pretty good about helping to recover losses.

Scammers are part of the game, just like pk'ers. Why force everyone to be carebears?
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Lypiphera - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2009
    Ok, tell me this, you think you found a great deal, it's advertised as being something, so you buy it, it's not that something. That's not your fault, you paid for what you thought you were going to get because that's what it was stated to be. The wrong is not on the part of the buyer because he/she was excited to find a good deal, it's on the part of the seller for saying that they were going to be getting what they paid for.

He wasn't embarrassed, he was frustrated that this was the second time something like this had happened to him and as was his experience with the first, nothing would be done to prevent this happening again and nothing would be done to deal with the wrongdoer or to show grace to the victim.
    lern 2 mouse hover?

That's like saying to a **** victim, why weren't you wearing a chastity belt.
    tweakz wrote: »
    Try a support ticket next time. They are pretty good about helping to recover losses.

Scammers are part of the game, just like pk'ers. Why force everyone to be carebears?

He did do a support ticket the first time he was a victim, they told him they had no proof the shop ever existed, so he sent them a screenshot, dated, time stamped, etc, their response, "nothing we can do". Have my personal support tickets been responded to similarly? No, they've always taken good care of me, they like keeping me spending, but like I said, this isn't the first of my friends to become a victim of a major scam.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alexeno - Sanctuary
    Alexeno - Sanctuary Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    -snip-

QQmoar
    lern 2 mouse hover?

^ this ^

(btw... "lrn2mousehover" would be the proper form)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Hell hath no fury like Alexeno trying to prove his point" -Mizuoni
  • Kanye_West - Lost City
    Kanye_West - Lost City Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Ok, tell me this, you think you found a great deal, it's advertised as being something, so you buy it, it's not that something. That's not your fault, you paid for what you thought you were going to get because that's what it was stated to be. The wrong is not on the part of the buyer because he/she was excited to find a good deal, it's on the part of the seller for saying that they were going to be getting what they paid for.

He wasn't embarrassed, he was frustrated that this was the second time something like this had happened to him and as was his experience with the first, nothing would be done to prevent this happening again and nothing would be done to deal with the wrongdoer or to show grace to the victim.

He did do a support ticket the first time he was a victim, they told him they had no proof the shop ever existed, so he sent them a screenshot, dated, time stamped, etc, their response, "nothing we can do". Have my personal support tickets been responded to similarly? No, they've always taken good care of me, they like keeping me spending, but like I said, this isn't the first of my friends to become a victim of a major scam.

Are you comparing **** to a pixel transaction? LOL
    Listen, whenever you conduct a transaction with another human being, you ALWAYS check to make sure everything is going the way it is supposed to. Your idiot friend did not double check and was therefore a victim of a transaction that COULD have been prevented. You asked for a preventative measure to avoid this scamming. Well there is one...it's called MOUSE HOVER! Hover your mouse over the item. If it is not what you want... SCAM PREVENTED.
  • Rillien - Heavens Tear
    Rillien - Heavens Tear Posts: 569 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Everyone does stupid stuff, whether it's looking before buying or not. Calling them an idiot or blaming the buyer completely is, well, idiotic. Just because he fell for the scam doesn't make the seller's actions justifiable. I feel really sorry for the guy...I know I'd be angry if I suddenly spent 38 million on dq.

One thing I noticed is that the community will sometimes help out in these cases, even if the tickets aren't being answered. I've walked down west arch and seen catshops titled "scammer
    >" pointing at the shop right next door. This helps players become aware of the problem. WCs notifying everyone of scammers also helps.

Even still, I'm surprised he didn't learn from his first mistake [you mentioned this was the second time]. People should take note.
  • Mumintroll - Heavens Tear
    Mumintroll - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,393 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    That sad if happen something like this. And I agree they should do something with this major scam.
    Example if he is new to game he doesn't know everything. In game is lot of useless items, which looks good but they are for nothing. So inexperience player can be easily scammed.b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2009
    I'm not saying in any way that he SHOULD have fallen for the scam, especially having fallen for one in the past. I'm saying that scammers should be dealt with *points to terms of service* and those terms by which every player is contracted to agree to should be backed.
    Are you comparing **** to a pixel transaction? LOL

It's called an analogy, drawing parallels, not parallels of equal proportion, but things along the same line, I'm saying in both cases there's a victim and a wrongdoer and that accusing the victim of being at fault is ludacris.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear
    AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,413 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I agree with punishing the scam artists. It takes away from the enjoyment of the game. And that is something not allowed by TOS.

Off with their heads....
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Santacruz - Heavens Tear
    Santacruz - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    (btw... "lrn2mousehover" would be the proper form)

actually its "learn to mouse hover", where do they send you kids these days?

and gm's could ban about 5 people instantly by walking down west arch, ive seen "best luck" tokens advertised when there selling overcharged "luck" tokens, ive seen shell powder sold off as fb69 wine..

just ban the d*cks already
  • Lairian - Sanctuary
    Lairian - Sanctuary Posts: 8,209 Arc User
    edited September 2009

No offense, but your friend is either gullible, unobservant, or just not very smart. If this is the second time he's been scammed in the exact same way, can you really say it's not his fault for not learning to check what he's buying the first time? Seriously, I've been scammed before too, but it only happened once, and now I know not to fall for the same trick again. Why didn't your friend learn to watch what he buys the first time he was scammed?

And as for the **** victim analogy, wow. Just wow. I can't tell you how wrong that is. Really now. Your comparing scamming in an online game with a serious crime. Does that really make sense to you? It's just wrong on so many levels. They are two completely different things, and in no way can be compared, even in the way you're intending . One being that you can just be upset and move on, the other inducing life long trauma on it's victims. How can you even think a victim of a scam is in any way comparable to the victim of a ****? And don't say that you were just making a point or anything like that. There's so many things you could have used that would have been much more appropriate. Just be glad no real **** victims are here to see that statement, otherwise you'd have some real problems on your hand.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Be nice to people
  • Mavado - Harshlands
    Mavado - Harshlands Posts: 728 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I agree with you that scammer's should be punished, but i don't agree that the victim is not at fault in this instant. If, as you claimed, your friend that he/she was getting such a great deal he/she should have been suspicious of it; even if it's not a great deal he should still check... unless of course he doesn't care if he get's ripped off... It's just simple responsibility.

Also, your analogy is flawed, you compared scammer's and their victims to rapists and theirs, in the first instance the victim is completely able to avoid being the victim in the first place; in the second instance, the rapee rarely has the choice.... but i still agree that neither the scammer nor the rapist should be condoned.
    >_< I'm a wizard in disguise... you know like the old cartoon... except with less robots and more fire/ice/rocks....
    edited September 2009
    And as for the **** victim analogy, wow. Just wow. I can't tell you how wrong that is. Really now. Your comparing scamming in an online game with a serious crime. Does that really make sense to you? It's just wrong on so many levels. They are two completely different things, and in no way can be compared, even in the way you're intending . One being that you can just be upset and move on, the other inducing life long trauma on it's victims. How can you even think a victim of a scam is in any way comparable to the victim of a ****? And don't say that you were just making a point or anything like that. There's so many things you could have used that would have been much more appropriate. Just be glad no real **** victims are here to see that statement, otherwise you'd have some real problems on your hand.

Ok, sorry for the flawed analogy, but it was the first thing to come to mind for a quick response/parallel where there was a clear victim and wrongdoer without using another similar real world case of Old people being sold fake life insurance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alexeno - Sanctuary
    edited September 2009
    actually its "learn to mouse hover", where do they send you kids these days?

how about you learn some history on things before trying to correct others?

btw, stop targeting me, or i will report you for harassment b:cute
    Ok, sorry for the flawed analogy, but it was the first thing to come to mind for a quick response/parallel where there was a clear victim and wrongdoer without using another similar real world case of Old people being sold fake life insurance.

any anology where you use real-world situations will be flawed, due to the fact this is a game. true, there's real people on both sides of the ingame transaction, but if the other person is weak-minded enough to be offended by something that's not "real", then there's deeper issues at play

remember people, this is a GAME. anything that happens within the boundaries of the client is NOT REAL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Alwin - Heavens Tear
    Alwin - Heavens Tear Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I agree how ppl would say to check before what your buying and its the person's fault BUT Gms really need to be more active and stuff.

There is people getting banend a few days for saying "THE GAME" but yet nothing for people false advertising and stuff like that
    edited September 2009
    how about you learn some history on things before trying to correct others?

btw, stop targeting me, or i will report you for harassment b:cute

=D be my guest

its a forum.. you chose to use it not me, i dont force you to read my replys do i? maybe you should actually spend some time leveling your char rather than polluting bad grammar around the place =)
  • Alexeno - Sanctuary
    edited September 2009
    =D be my guest

its a forum.. you chose to use it not me, i dont force you to read my replys do i? maybe you should actually spend some time leveling your char rather than polluting bad grammar around the place =)

i choose to use the forum yes, for helping my fellow players and also for entertainment. i do not, however, appreciate people who lurk and only post to flame me. you don't like something i say? ignore it.
    5. Harass, threaten, verbally abuse PWE as an entity along with its staffers, representatives and all registered users through any and all available channels (forums posts, PMs, in-game chat, etc.).
    6. SPAM by posting frequent and/or annoying messages in the forums.

also:
    7. No trolling, or flaming.
    Any form of personal insult will not be tolerated. General rule of thumb: if you think that what you are about to post is insulting, don't post it.

11. No power-posting, spamming, bumping and/or flaming.

14. Keep posts on-topic.
    Keep the topic in mind when you post. Refrain from posting irrelevant information.

before you attempt to use the rules against me:
    20. Post only in English.
    We have to make sure that we can properly moderate and understand the topics being discussed in the various forums. So please, keep everything in English.

the "lrn2..." thing doesn't break the rule, due to the fact that it is rooted within the english language b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited September 2009

Text...

do you want your dummy back now :)
  • Alexeno - Sanctuary
    edited September 2009

thanks for letting me know that i've won the debate b:chuckle

i'm dropping this subject now, any further responses from you that are targeted specifically and/or mainly directed at me will be reported as harassment. have a nice day
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• RawVeno - Sanctuary
    edited September 2009
    Not sure how you can police this, if someone says i have (item) and you click the trade button you are agreeing to buy that item, doesnt matter what was said previously, you agreed to the transaction taking place by clicking 2 buttons to confirm a trade.

When you go into a store and see lets say an xbox 360 you want, take it to the cash register and they replace that with a bag of apples, do you still give them the 300.00 dollars and walk out with the apples? lol
    edited September 2009
    any further responses from you that are targeted specifically and/or mainly directed at me will be reported as harassmenty

GG

10char
  • AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear
    AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,413 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Not sure how you can police this, if someone says i have (item) and you click the trade button you are agreeing to buy that item, doesnt matter what was said previously, you agreed to the transaction taking place by clicking 2 buttons to confirm a trade.

When you go into a store and see lets say an xbox 360 you want, take it to the cash register and they replace that with a bag of apples, do you still give them the 300.00 dollars and walk out with the apples? lol

I think its more like walking to register with a xbox360 cardboard box. And when you get home and open box its a atari b:shockedb:angry...woot!!!
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alexeno - Sanctuary
    edited September 2009

the problem so far as people complain about, is that alot of the items in this game share the same inventory icon. perfect example of this is Ultimate Substance and one of the upper level apothecary items (can't remember the name). the apothecary item is worth maybe 5k, where ulti subs are 50k+ depending on server and supply/demand. alot of people were putting the apoth item in their catshop at 50/60/70k and putting the catshop title to something like "SUBS!" or whatever, and all the highlvls were just casually buying the shops out of all the stock... then realizing they'd been scammed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited September 2009
    I think its more like walking to register with a xbox360 cardboard box. And when you get home and open box its a atari b:shockedb:angry...woot!!!

the atari would be worth more =p
  • Nakhimov - Lost City
    Nakhimov - Lost City Posts: 1,829 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caveat_emptor

Learn2Mousehover&capitalism
    Bladestorm lets you spin around like a carnival ride and do damage. Not using it is almost like having a move called Confetti Rocket Power Leap and saving it for "emergencies"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nakhimov the Kingslayer of Kil'Jaeden's <Criminal Scum>
    wowprogress.com/guild/us/kil-jaeden/Criminal+Scum
  • RawVeno - Sanctuary
    edited September 2009

be more like if the box said atari and you were told it was xbox.
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    What the good people of pwi would like to say is...

Scamming is good. It should be very much so encouraged. Scammers are intelligent human beings and their victims are idiotic nubcakes who fully deserve punishment. If you are currently not trying to scam someone you're an idiot, please start scamming freely now. In a perfect world everyone would scam and no one would be trusted. Scam victims would be banned and locked away for their stupidity. GM's must NEVER do anything about this fair and wonderful marketing method. Also those complaining deserve to be banned and flamed and verbally abused until they never speak again. Kthxbai.
  • RawVeno - Sanctuary
    edited September 2009

Scamming is good. It should be very much so encouraged. Scammers are intelligent human beings and their victims are idiotic nubcakes who fully deserve punishment. If you are currently not trying to scam someone you're an idiot, please start scamming freely now. In a perfect world everyone would scam and no one would be trusted. Scam victims would be banned and locked away for their stupidity. GM's must NEVER do anything about this fair and wonderful marketing method. Also those complaining deserve to be banned and flamed and verbally abused until they never speak again. Kthxbai.

if everyone scammed, it wouldn't be a scam. then the scam would be not scamming
  • Alexeno - Sanctuary
    edited September 2009

LOL! nice one
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

This discussion has been closed.