Untamed Cultivation Bug - post here

Comments

• surtr
    surtr Posts: 3,378 Perfect World Employee
    edited September 2009
    im a little ok with the waiting for the next patch thing to come out and fix it but the problem is that the GMs aren't even sure if they are going to fix this or not...it's like if its not an important issue for them to have. Just think about it that's 2 classes taken away from the game for new comers that's a big loss.
    It's not that we aren't sure if we'll fix it - Trust me, we will, this is a very major issue - it's that we can't make any promises about WHEN we'll fix it. To be sure, we're working as hard as possible to find a fix as soon as possible, but in addition to tracking down the source of the issue there's the fact that other bugs could possibly arise if it's not fixed properly, so there's a lot of testing that has to go into it as well. I assure you, this issue is definitely a when, not an if.
    ==/Senior QA Lead/==

Surtr from the south wielding fire
    The gods' swords shine in the darkness, like stars in the night
    Mountains collapse into rubble and fiends shall fall
    Man walks the road to ruin as the sky splits in two

• hoodieninja
    hoodieninja Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Surtr wrote: »
    It's not that we aren't sure if we'll fix it - Trust me, we will, this is a very major issue - it's that we can't make any promises about WHEN we'll fix it. To be sure, we're working as hard as possible to find a fix as soon as possible, but in addition to tracking down the source of the issue there's the fact that other bugs could possibly arise if it's not fixed properly, so there's a lot of testing that has to go into it as well. I assure you, this issue is definitely a when, not an if.

Truthfully; this statement is less reassuring than the original statement... It sounds like it may take months to find the cause, properly test solutions to the bug, do some regression testing, and then finally implement the fix. Hopefully you have some good unit tests for this.

Since you have no idea how long it will take to properly fix this issue are you looking into possible workarounds for how to go about learning new spells passed lvl9 and obtaining the FB quests? Only being able to upgrade the spells learned from lvls 1-9 really gimps the Untamed race.
  • PanDhamon - Lost City
    PanDhamon - Lost City Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Okay, so it's a when issue, not an if. Everyone seems to be asking if a workaround is possible. What about the scarlet fruits? Do they actually take your cultivation level up by one? If so would players who need to complete their lvl 9 and 19 cultivation quests be able to use these (possibly administered by the gm's) to increase their culti level and progress with their characters?
  • OrangeClaw - Dreamweaver
    OrangeClaw - Dreamweaver Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I agree with PanDhamon, if the idea works of course. I'd really like to be able to get abilities above level 9, and I'm sure everyone else is as well.
  • brentbest
    brentbest Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    guys realy fixing one bug doesnt take that long and if u dont u will surely lose players this is dissapointing that u wait one week for a MAjOR bug
  • brentbest
    edited September 2009
    i think that the scarlet fruit doesnt help i tried and gues wat ... noting thats a shock
  • Zorsha - Harshlands
    Zorsha - Harshlands Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Level 22 now and still using only ONE SKILL. Hello? McFly? <taps head> Anyone there?

"not affecting as many people as you think"

Hmm, when I inquired in World Chat I got a slew of PM's. That is ONE server, during ONE hour of a 24 hour day. Odd if you could extrapolate to how many "a few" actually is.

I'm going to continue to see how fast and hard I can level with ONE SKILL. It's the new, involuntary way, to spend less spirit.

Thanks!

b:angry
    Werewolf barb 63
    Pimp_Hand bm 69
    Malekith sin 75
    Luna_Glade cleric 61
    Mr_Spock wiz 66
    Dark_Lord archer 80
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    OK, don't serve me bullsh!t about servers needed to be shut down in order to fix this issue.
    I'm in this damn SW industry too. I developped and tested software that u guys use now without knowing and your life depends on it. Literally. I'm developing now software that u guys use ( mainly in USA) everyday to have fun. We have about 6 milion customers in USA only, customers that get a service they are paying for. So stop bullsh!tting around with QA training quotes like " we need to get to the root of the problem". That's the catch phrase served to the customer by every company in the industry when they don't know what the **** is going on.
    2 of the 6 classes in te game are screwed up. Yeah, it's not the high lvl ones, it's the poor newb that's screwed up. But 2 out of 6 classes? and u cannot stop the servers for such an update? OMG, don't tell me, some AI controls all the servers and u can't take them down for 30 min because the AI won't let you do it?
    Bullsh!t.
    Look, I understand this is a business, your business and you're running it like you want to. But for God's sake please stop considering every1 an idiot.

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • boofhead92
    boofhead92 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    All i can hope for is that it is fixed soon without stuffing up our characters... im new to PWI and my first char was a barb... i was looking forward to lvl 9+ skills but i guess ill play my archer.... for now
  • brentbest
    edited September 2009
    ursa is right dont make excuses
  • hamstaro
    hamstaro Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    so has anything been done up till now?
  • brentbest
    edited September 2009
    make a guess
  • hoodieninja
    edited September 2009
    Let's break down the steps:

1) Identify the problem
    2) Fix it
    3) Identify another problem
    4) Fix it
    5) Repeat as necessary until its all fixed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo3uxqwTxk0
  • Sangodoc - Dreamweaver
    Sangodoc - Dreamweaver Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    People, please, relax. As a programmer myself I can tell you that fixing bugs is not always easy. They can be very hard to track down sometimes, and fixing them the wrong way can create more problems than it solves.

For example, let's say they fix it so that people reaching the right level can now get cultivation quests. If they do it wrong they could make it so that people who are already at or past that level still can't get the quests. Or, worse yet, they could make it so that people already past that level have to retake all of the previous cultivation quests! They could also break things for people in the middle of the cultivation quest, making them start over or lose the quest entirely.

Seriously, I can think of a bunch of ways that doing a hasty patch could create more problems than it solves, so I'm glad they're taking their time to test it and get it working right. My veno character will just have to wait probably less than a week for the fix, and that's not so big a deal.
  • bastach
    bastach Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I have been playing PWI for the last 4 days and brought several friends to try the game as a group. It seems odd to me that this would not be more important on the agenda. I would expect this from a MMO in alpha or beta stage perhaps.

I feel I wasted not only $$$ but several hrs of my time, trying out races classes and researching builds etc. Finally rolling a new main only to realize via this post that I can not progress my lvl 12 barbarian properly. It might at least be a good Idea to announce to players rolling an untamed that they will not be able to progress into the lvl 9 build.

Not to mention new players of just a few days like myself who did buy zen. I am at the very least very disappointed. I have to say not taking the time and effort to do a quick fix or supply a work around, for such a major issue is very undesirable.

I have brought my clan from other MMOs with me to try out PWI, and to get a response that we may or may not fix it next week is not going to get us to buy anymore zen, and could very well send us looking for a new MMO to invest in.

That's just my 2 coins ............ you make me sad.
  • Sangodoc - Dreamweaver
    Sangodoc - Dreamweaver Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    bastach wrote: »
    I have been playing PWI for the last 4 days and brought several friends to try the game as a group. It seems odd to me that this would not be more important on the agenda.
    What makes you think it's not important? Did you see this from one of the GMs?:
    (emphasis added)

Just be patient. Hopefully this will be sorted out in less than a week.
  • Prosh - Harshlands
    Prosh - Harshlands Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    so let me just make sure i got this right...i can keep playing this veno char like normal (kind of lol) with my one lonely skill and then i will just be able to go back and redo my spirit culti when the bug is fixed? b:lipcurl
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Mmm noodles!
  • Invasion - Dreamweaver
    Invasion - Dreamweaver Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Hi all, you all know that Spirit Cultivation Quest is on problem right?
    Im a lv20 Barbarian and I haven't did the lv9 Cultivation because of the problem. There is another Cultivation on lv19, Will I still be able to do the lv9 Cultivation? Please help me on this question.
  • surtr
    edited September 2009
    so let me just make sure i got this right...i can keep playing this veno char like normal (kind of lol) with my one lonely skill and then i will just be able to go back and redo my spirit culti when the bug is fixed? b:lipcurl
    Yes.
    Hi all, you all know that Spirit Cultivation Quest is on problem right?
    Im a lv20 Barbarian and I haven't did the lv9 Cultivation because of the problem. There is another Cultivation on lv19, Will I still be able to do the lv9 Cultivation? Please help me on this question.
    You can't get the level 19 one until you've done the level 9 one.
    ==/Senior QA Lead/==

• Xeian - Dreamweaver
    Xeian - Dreamweaver Posts: 720 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    why can't you guys just do a GM override on the quests and put them is in progress for these players? I know my wizard will be level 19 soon, and I hope I don't hit the same problem
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Prosh - Harshlands
    Prosh - Harshlands Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    kk thnx surtr b:thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Mmm noodles!
  • Akikoa - Dreamweaver
    Akikoa - Dreamweaver Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Seriously guys, stop harassing the GMs. They're working on it, and it's not just a snap to fix code and program things. If you actually did it yourself how would you like to be on the receiving end of the junk most of the GMs takes, which I might add are actually quite better than most F2P games. Just let them handle it, they're aware of the problem and they're working on it. Seriously, stop bashing them like they're all to blame. It's not a major gameplay problem unless you rush or just level, my venomancer I'm still using to collect mats and hay while this gets fixed. If you're in such a rush, why not make another character to wait it out or maybe do something else....read a book maybe? You don't have to play the game every hour of the day.
    Key point of this: Stop pressuring the GMs, more pressure will just make it more annoying and might make it take longer.
  • Bobbyjoe - Sanctuary
    Bobbyjoe - Sanctuary Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    You guys playing Untamed will have to wait.

Changes like this on the game can not be made without bringing the servers down.

It is being worked on.

You guys have had emergency maintenance before, why not again?
    BILLY MAYS LOVE YOU
  • Bowlinbob - Lost City
    Bowlinbob - Lost City Posts: 3,446 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    im seriously giggling irl, is this not like the 4th patch in a row that has caused some type of glitch? Etherblade waterfall.. Rubberbanding... lemme think of the others

Edit: whichever patch had the **** smiley faces

Its getting rather pathetic.
  • hoodieninja
    edited September 2009
    why can't you guys just do a GM override on the quests and put them is in progress for these players? I know my wizard will be level 19 soon, and I hope I don't hit the same problem

Is this possible - can a GM telepathically (programmaticly) inject a quest into my quest log? If so that sounds like a proper quick fix / workaround for the bug NPC...
  • surtr
    edited September 2009
    Is this possible - can a GM telepathically (programmaticly) inject a quest into my quest log? If so that sounds like a proper quick fix / workaround for the bug NPC...
    We do not have the option of doing that.
    ==/Senior QA Lead/==

• Xeian - Dreamweaver
    Xeian - Dreamweaver Posts: 720 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    We do not have the option of doing that.
    well, there went that idea lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bastach
    bastach Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Last I heard here in the office, next Tues night into Wed morning (if that is the day chosen for the patch update) will be when the next patch is released.

However, we are not promising this will be fixed, although we are pressing for it to be and are crossing our paws. b:pleased
    Especially for those newer users who would like to spend money, but figure it might not be worth the wait. Yet anyone that wants to play any other race will be fine, so I'm sure they won't mind losing all the business from the untamed.
    What makes you think it's not important? Did you see this from one of the GMs?:

(emphasis added)

Just be patient. Hopefully this will be sorted out in less than a week.

Actually it was THIS post I was referring to. ............. GMs do not allow for double quotes so ...

Surtr
    "Administrator .... It's not that we aren't sure if we'll fix it - Trust me, we will, this is a very major issue - it's that we can't make any promises about WHEN we'll fix it."

Yes I'm new to PWI but not by a long shot to MMO gaming. I was only stating my unhappiness as someone that brought his crew over to PWI and invested $$$ that I was disappointed that this was not deemed worth bringing the servers down for a fix and still no guaranty of one next week per Sutur.

Repeating what the admin already did while flaming the opinions of others that might not have high lvl toons to play, (as many have) believe it or not doesn't help any more that you trying to get those of us (6 pages worth) to stfu.

It is okay for everyone to express their opinion yes? Not just the ones with a big post count. Ever hear "squeaky wheel gets the grease"?
    b:surrender
  • boombastik
    boombastik Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Hello,

Beside i don't have the spiritual quest it seems that i also dont have tame pet quest.. I remember i activated that quest and i even have fresh meat in my quest inv and i can't have access to the tame pet skill.
    So, it this quest also bugged?

If it's not a bug, can anyone help me to get this skill, plz?

tyvm b:victory
  • surtr
    edited September 2009
    The pet quests still appear to be working on our end.
    ==/Senior QA Lead/==

This discussion has been closed.