Rising Gold Prices

Comments

• Zorish - Harshlands
    Zorish - Harshlands Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I personally dont see any reason why gold prices should drop.
    Cash shopper want to make the best profit out of their zen, so why lower prices?
    In HL at least prices went up up and never down.
    There were some "sales" of gold sellers that where 20k maybe lower then average price.
    Reality is that even being a f2p you NEED cash shop items.
    Though its true you have the possibility to buy them ingame, theres a limit to this. I quit my veno because I need herc and/or nix to be good veno.
    In time, high lvls will need to grind more to get their charms and gas, and the time spent wont be valuable enough.
    If pwe is posting something about this is because something to the player base is happening.
    This game cannot function without ppl buying gold through AH, as well it cannot work without gold sellers
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Here a screenshot I took 5 minutes ago. Its kinda sad how much the buyers are willing to spend. b:laugh

The top 6 there were mine I think, and quite possibly the next 8 as well. Looks you got the screenshot just as my gold was either being listed or bought, I had 30 up between 206 and 206.3 around that time.

I have no problems paying that price, I and anyone else who bought gold through the trader during Jolly didn't pay for our gold, because catshop prices took the gold cost into account. The ones who actually paid for that 206k gold are the ones standing in line at the striped spider king right now. Competitive pricing pretty much ensures that if gold were 100k profit margins would have remained the same for anyone that was trying to make a lot of money out of Jolly (as I said in a previous post, I wasn't... but I still made enough to be able to afford what I want soon).
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Except for those of us who needed gold for things other than damn Jones...
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Well, ya. You got the short end of the stick. I'm hoping Duke Rose stays in afterwards, it would suck to have a popular outfit in such a short supply because of the gold market at the time. Then there's charm packs, so much for that sale helping people out. Then the dragon orb sale... that sure does suck. If you were after something other than Jolly you've pretty much had to ignore the boutique for the past two weeks.
  • Inias - Heavens Tear
    Inias - Heavens Tear Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    well to be honest i always had a prob to get around on mp/hp charms or mp pots (sesame's) because the normal pots are way too expensive to keep your mp up it's just ridiculous

so it's kinda obvious you (PWI team) is trying to get gold stable around 200k per gold with your 1mil coins box this should make gold stabilize around 200k a piece 1gold=200k = no profit 1gold= more then 200k = loss /less then 200k = profit

so this said i also wanna add that about 60-75% of the server has ppl that don't spend real life money on this game or not alot of money , these ppl need to spend coins on charms etc to be able to TW etc
    if charms are gonna go up to 800k a piece with gold prices at 200k a piece , only ppl that got monef off of scamming ppl or those few glitches we had in game where ppl made a crazy amount of money out off nobody of those non cash shoppers can buy charms and are gonna get bored and frustrated and just uninstall this game

yet again here we come at a viscious circle

cashshoppers get good gear sell gold and can be lazy getting coins by selling gold , non cash shoppers can work for their coins and buy gold and get their gear up too

but once one of those two start leaving your precious circle will die

i dunno i cash shop from time to time just to keep up because i don't have crazy amount of time to spend on game altho i spent alot of time ingame o_O

and i myselve am not sure if i'll stay if charms are gonne get up to 800k a piece >_>
    and i assume alot more ppl will agree with me
    thanks to forsaken for this awesome sig b:victory[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I have an idea for how to lower gold prices on each server. The idea may not have a massive impact until after Jolly Jones is done, but it should have an impact once the deman for gold stabalizes. The simple part of it is this: Everyone place bids in the auction house to buy gold for 120K.

There is a counter-point to this logic: Everyone who sells gold in the auction can do so at 200k.

It is their money; they can do whatever they want with it. For example, the gold sellers on a server can band together and agree to sell Gold for no less than 200k each.

I understand the reasoning behind telling others to only buy Gold at a fixed price, with some hope that this will lower Gold prices. Since I do not spend money on this game, I also hope Gold prices go down. However, if one group of players can band together, so can the other one. I am fairly certain the gold sellers would have a higher chance succeeding at raising (not inflating, but raising) the gold prices than the rest of PWI trying to lower the gold prices.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Well not that I can complain much...I won't be playing much at all now that school is beginning. b:bye
    *hugs and flings around viciously*
    Nuuuuuuuuu b:cry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Zzzzzz....we got down to below 200k and those buying listed to buy gold at 165k.

THEN.....someone decided to bump the prices back up buy listing the Buy price at 200k (the next lowest being 165k)!!!!

LAME b:angry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • PayUpSucka - Heavens Tear
    PayUpSucka - Heavens Tear Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Would Be Cool At 500k Each
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vampirenite
    vampirenite Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Zzzzzz....we got down to below 200k and those buying listed to buy gold at 165k.

THEN.....someone decided to bump the prices back up buy listing the Buy price at 200k (the next lowest being 165k)!!!!

LAME b:angry

Don't you know there are many people making tons of coin by playing the market b:laugh.

The economy is small enough that someone with enough coin and gold can manipulate the prices up and down to a degree. The buy Gold when the price is low then sell it when it is high. They buy up all the straggler small bids in between to drive the prices up or down.

There is no Securities and Exchange Commission like in the real world to police this.
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Don't you know there are many people making tons of coin by playing the market b:laugh.

The economy is small enough that someone with enough coin and gold can manipulate the prices up and down to a degree. The buy Gold when the price is low then sell it when it is high. They buy up all the straggler small bids in between to drive the prices up or down.

There is no Securities and Exchange Commission like in the real world to police this.

The SEC would not police that either, unless it was done by a publicly traded company, and they lied on their reports.

This is why commodities prices go up and down, people play the market (oil markets anyone?)
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited August 2009

Believe me I know one person can so this. I was just pointing out that it was lame. Zzzzzzzzz...

And yes people are making a killing in coins.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Bowlinbob - Lost City
    Bowlinbob - Lost City Posts: 3,446 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Believe me I know one person can so this. I was just pointing out that it was lame. Zzzzzzzzz...

And yes people are making a killing in coins.

not me b:cry
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited August 2009
    not me b:cry

*hugs Bob*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Bowlinbob - Lost City
    Bowlinbob - Lost City Posts: 3,446 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    *hugs Bob*

i think im down to 200k coins <_< and next level is my wield thunder lvl QQ

Selling Flawless Sapphires 700k each :D whisper me ingame
  • TheGoliath - Heavens Tear
    TheGoliath - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    no hugs in sad threads
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited August 2009
    no hugs in sad threads

*hugs Goliath*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• TheGoliath - Heavens Tear
    TheGoliath - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    damn 10 charrr
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Koteto - Harshlands
    Koteto - Harshlands Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    now when the Jolly is gone the prices of the gold will be the same like 185-198k in Harshlands yes?
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    now when the Jolly is gone the prices of the gold will be the same like 185-198k in Harshlands yes?

It will depend on what sale they have next...
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited August 2009
    It will depend on what sale they have next...

I think I am ready for a week without a sale b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Imagine if they did a teleacoustic sale.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited August 2009

b:sweat

That would be soooo funny!!!

And I am already a World Chat Addict b:cry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• swgs
    swgs Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2009

Rose must like the idea, she use a lots of them every day.
  • DarkSniper - Lost City
    DarkSniper - Lost City Posts: 1,830 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    And I'm ready to win the lottery,

doesn't mean it's gonna happen.
    The only way to win is to quit. b:bye
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited August 2009
    swgs wrote: »
    Rose must like the idea, she use a lots of them every day.

b:surrender

I have a stash at ALL times...you never know when you are going to need to use them or be bored enough to use them!

May favorite World Chat because of the pm's: . (yes I WC a single period)

b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Koteto - Harshlands
    Koteto - Harshlands Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited August 2009

it will be bether for no sales for one or too weeks b:shocked
  • vampirenite
    vampirenite Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I don't know if it is my imagination but it seems to me that WC has been less active during the JJ event and high Gold prices, so it probably would make sense to do a Telecoustic sale.

I dunno if Gold prices will drop much since anyone who has any budget to buy Gold with cash is probably doing it now before the event and the Charm Pack sale ends. This means all of a sudden there will be very few people buying Gold with cash for a while. Since Gold bought with cash is the only way "new" Gold gets introduced into the AH, there could be a shortage that keeps prices high.

I am interested to see which way things really go.
  • Santacruz - Heavens Tear
    Santacruz - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    well this was deffenatly a good read to pass some time doing WQ :)
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited August 2009

Heh. You can manipulate the market both ways, both to increase or to lower the price of gold. I was doing this during the JJ event, but I was doing it to lower the price of gold. If I saw a bunch of small (1-4 gold) high-priced bids at the top of the buy list, I bought them out so the top bid was much lower. Then I'd place my (largish) buy bid for gold at the lower price.

And when buying gold outright (not placing bids), I'd leave some of the lower priced gold sell orders to encourage new sellers to underprice them.

IMHO it's not profitable enough to make money this way. The exchange fee eats 4.04% for each round-trip transaction (coin->gold->coin). So if you bought gold at 180k, you'd have to sell it at 187.27k just to break even. That's pretty close to the maximum day-to-day fluctuation I saw during the event. And even when it exceeded that, you'd be making a measly 1%-3%.

You are much better off just using the gold to buy stuff from the cash shop, and cat shopping it. Most cat shops I see mark those items up 10%-20%. Easily more than you'd make by manipulating the gold market. And if there's a sale, you can easily make 30%-50%. By my calculations, the JJ event was like a 35%-60% markup.
This discussion has been closed.