Rising Gold Prices

xarfox
xarfox Posts: 0 Arc User
edited September 2009 in General Discussion
The reason why the price for Gold has shot through the roof, is because of the addition of Jolly Old Jones, not the Gear Shattering system.

For those who are not familiar with Jolly Old Jones, he's an NPC that allows players to trade either Guardian Angels for rewards, or 100k coins.

The secondary purpose of Jolly Old Jones, other than providing you guys with items, is to drain the economy. The last time we had this event, we drained a huge amount of money out of the PWI economy, and Gold prices re-stabilized at a lower price after Jolly Old Jones was removed from the game.

Currently gold prices are inflated, however they should fall back down after this event/sale, perhaps even to a lower benchmark since so much coin is being sunk out of the game right now.

Gold trading is something that we pay a lot of attention to at PWE. We realize that a large number of players get their gold through the auction house, and carefully watch that system with a variety of metrics, statistics, and tools. You can be sure that when you guys are upset about high Gold prices, we become concerned for our players who can't afford to charge their ZEN directly.

We also realize that lately it seems like it's been nothing but sale after sale. That's simply because the large content update we had today required a lot of work from the development team, and with the upcoming additions of the Bounty Hunter and Warsong City (very soon) it's easy to see how their plate has been full.

Now finally. There are some monumental updates on the way for PWI. I cannot go into the specifics of what they are, but I can say that upon having the news of these updates fall upon my ears, I was not only shocked beyond belief, but more excited than I've been for any previous content update/expansion.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by xarfox on

Comments

• HolyInferno - Sanctuary
    HolyInferno - Sanctuary Posts: 767 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    ooh a 1st post >.>
    if there is any truth behind xar xar's statement, I say go with it xD
    b:bye you were all swell peoples
  • AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear
    AdvanceZero - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,413 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I appreciate you keeping us abreast of your doings. b:victory
    Retired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bladecutter - Sanctuary
    Bladecutter - Sanctuary Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    "very soon" means next maintenance or next year?? xD

anyway, if you dont want to buy gold at high price dont do it and BAM youre now helping it go down
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    There is another factor besides Jones that will be drastically increasing gold prices if not already.

The cube of fate now has a reward box that costs 5 gold to open and gives 1m coins as a reward. If you select the cog reward and not the xp reward you get three boxes.

That is like selling 5 gold per cube finish per day at a guaranteed 200k exchange. With hundreds doing the cube this will create a drain of thousands of gold from the AH until gold prices have increased to 196k (on sanctuary the gold price was 120k before this). If gold increases beyond that peole will stockpile these boxes. If gold ever falls to 180k then people can buy it up to get a profit from the stockpile.

This produces a permanent market for 200k gold and injects tons of coins into the game. If I buy gold with coin and then use the hammer to make more coin that adds coins on both sides of the equation (more coin for gold seller and buyer).

The effect is that people won't be selling cash shop items to normal players when the hammers are so much more potent for making coins. Cubers win, gold sellers win, everyone else loses. Tons of coins start building up and everyone's previous coin fortunes are now worthless.

I don't know what you were thinking with this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Fireblood - Harshlands
    Fireblood - Harshlands Posts: 1,414 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    "very soon" means next maintenance or next year?? xD

anyway, if you dont want to buy gold at high price dont do it and BAM youre now helping it go down

Next year it is xD.
    Unfortunately most people do not understand the concept or don't care.b:cry
    Quit.
  • Fireblood - Harshlands
    edited July 2009
    There is another factor besides Jones that will be drastically increasing gold prices if not already.

The cube of fate now has a reward box that costs 5 gold to open and gives 1m coins as a reward. If you select the cog reward and not the xp reward you get three boxes.

That is like selling 5 gold per cube finish per day at a guaranteed 200k exchange. With hundreds doing the cube this will create a drain of thousands of gold from the AH until gold prices have increased to 196k (on sanctuary the gold price was 120k before this). If gold increases beyond that peole will stockpile these boxes. If gold ever falls to 180k then people can buy it up to get a profit from the stockpile.

This produces a permanent market for 200k gold and injects tons of coins into the game. If I buy gold with coin and then use the hammer to make more coin that adds coins on both sides of the equation (more coin for gold seller and buyer).

The effect is that people won't be selling cash shop items to normal players when the hammers are so much more potent for making coins. Cubers win, gold sellers win, everyone else loses. Tons of coins start building up and everyone's previous coin fortunes are now worthless.

I don't know what you were thinking with this.
    Do note that not a large majority of people do cube on a daily bases.Also if the box opener feels that the profit from the box is not worth the 5 gold he has to spend (196k-198k per gold) he won't open it in the first place hence won't buy the 5 gold.
    Also due to safety lock many MIGHT not buy dolls (<--price of gold falls) while going around pking in safety lock and buying npc gears to get chi to repair gears should it shatter (<--Hence money going out of the economy)
    Edit:btw pking safety lock=mirages and chi stones dropping O.O (cheap mirages ftw)
    Quit.
  • Drazo - Dreamweaver
    Drazo - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,187 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    He's most likely talking about the upcoming expansion this autumn. I'm half thinking one or more of the following: housing, new races/classes, new catshop system/rules, restoration of the arena and/or monthly race or something unimaginable/unguessable....like the genies.
    Non-mule characters:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]....and Drazomyst.
  • Fireblood - Harshlands
    edited July 2009
    He's most likely talking about the upcoming expansion this autumn. I'm half thinking one or more of the following: housing, new races/classes, new catshop system/rules, restoration of the arena and/or monthly race or something unimaginable/unguessable....like the genies.
    Yay for areana,new daily,housing and more events b:victory
    Quit.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Do note that not a large majority of people do cube on a daily bases.Also if the box opener feels that the profit from the box is not worth the 5 gold he has to spend (196k-198k per gold) he won't open it in the first place hence won't buy the 5 gold.
    Also due to safety lock many MIGHT not buy dolls (<--price of gold falls) while going around pking in safety lock and buying npc gears to get chi to repair gears should it shatter (<--Hence money going out of the economy)

The box gives you 1m coin. If the gold is less than 196k it is ALWAYS profitable to buy it driving price up and injecting another 1m coin into the system out of nowhere. If gold is less than that many more will start doing cube until the price of gold has reached 196k. Don't ever expect to see gold less than 196k in the future.

Enjoy 800K gold charms.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Well, fair enough. Guess I can have a bit of faith in you guys and wait and see how it goes. Glad to see you take inflation and market prices into account.
  • Fireblood - Harshlands
    edited July 2009
    The box gives you 1m coin. If the gold is less than 196k it is ALWAYS profitable to buy it driving price up and injecting another 1m coin into the system out of nowhere. If gold is less than that many more will start doing cube until the price of gold has reached 196k. Don't ever expect to see gold less than 196k in the future.

Enjoy 800K gold charms.
    Harshland at least is already paying 200k per gold so it can't get any worse for us b:cry
    Quit.
  • Shart - Dreamweaver
    Shart - Dreamweaver Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    The whole cube prize is hilarious. I'm surprised they didn't charge gold to fix shattered armor, too, in all seriousness.
  • asgreborn
    asgreborn Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I think the problem can be solved fairly easy... PW could sell gold for a price.. let's say 120-130-150k/gold in infinite amounts (like from a NPC) then everyone else selling the gold will have to ask less than that or they won't be able to sell. Every country in the world uses a system like this (under one form or another) when prices go sky high. Not everyone can use a credit card. I for one can't due to the country I live in and untill phone payment will be available I am stuck buying gold ingame for coins. Having to pay 180-200k/gold sucks.
    Sanctuary server rules!

Lvl 76 cleric - (bankrupt for now, will be back in the near future)
    Lvl 60 veno - (active, raising funds for herc)

b:bye
  • Fireblood - Harshlands
    edited July 2009
    asgreborn wrote: »
    PW could sell gold for a price.. let's say 120-130-150k/gold in infinite amounts (like from a NPC) then everyone else selling the gold will have to ask less than that or they won't be able to sell.

People won't sell then because why would they sell gold for 100k if they could just trade it in for 120kb:surrender
    Quit.
  • asgreborn
    edited July 2009
    Because it can be just a buy option not a sell option. Or like when selling pots at apotechary (half price when you sell)
    Sanctuary server rules!

• Blancheneige - Heavens Tear
    Blancheneige - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,494 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    PW could sell gold for a price.. let's say 120-130-150k/gold in infinite amounts

Then no one would buy zhen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Brit for the sig b:laugh
  • asgreborn
    edited July 2009
    I don't think that's true. Ppl that already buy zen buy it so they don't have to farm the cash ingame. And except sales gold price was fairly ok.
    Sanctuary server rules!

• Blancheneige - Heavens Tear
    Blancheneige - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,494 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Xarfox, you are a very good seller.

And you would probably make a very good diplomat b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Brit for the sig b:laugh
  • swgs
    swgs Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I think the problem can be solved fairly easy... PW could sell gold for a price.. let's say 120-130-150k/gold in infinite amounts (like from a NPC) then everyone else selling the gold will have to ask less than that or they won't be able to sell. Every country in the world uses a system like this (under one form or another) when prices go sky high. Not everyone can use a credit card. I for one can't due to the country I live in and untill phone payment will be available I am stuck buying gold ingame for coins. Having to pay 180-200k/gold sucks.

then who is going to pay cash for gold, without cash, how can PWI make money?
  • asgreborn
    edited July 2009
    omg..what's so hard to understand? if PW sets price or gold price limit at 140k for example. Same ppl that were selling gold for 129.5k on tuesday will sell for 130-139.9k. Only thing this will do is stop gold getting to 200k. Everyone will keep buying, because people are lazy. And yes, I would buy too if I could.
    Sanctuary server rules!

• RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    xarfox wrote: »
    Now finally. There are some monumental updates on the way for PWI. I cannot go into the specifics of what they are, but I can say that upon having the news of these updates fall upon my ears, I was not only shocked beyond belief, but more excited than I've been for any previous content update/expansion.

I am more interested in this ^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Mothergoose - Sanctuary
    Mothergoose - Sanctuary Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    omg..what's so hard to understand? if PW sets price or gold price limit at 140k for example. Same ppl that were selling gold for 129.5k on tuesday will sell for 130-139.9k. Only thing this will do is stop gold getting to 200k. Everyone will keep buying, because people are lazy. And yes, I would buy too if I could.

Lol, good point. The kind of people who charge zhen just to sell gold will still be willing to sell even if prices are capped. If anything, they'll charge more zhen, because they can no longer get as much coins to buy the same gear as before.
  • Ruvil - Sanctuary
    Ruvil - Sanctuary Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    [PHP]We also realize that lately it seems like it's been nothing but sale after sale. That's simply because the large content update we had today required a lot of work from the development team, and with the upcoming additions of the Bounty Hunter and Warsong City (very soon) it's easy to see how their plate has been full.[/PHP]

An IRL friend of mine got me to start playing this awesome game ~1.5-2 months ago so I haven't had much experience w/ sales + fluctuating gold prices. That being said can anyone elaborate on the above explanation for why there have been so many sales? It doesn't make any sense to me, I read it like this.

1) Development team is working very hard especially with the new content BH/WSC (Thank you guys)
    2) Therefore more sales!
    huh?? -_^?

Is there some hidden relationship between BH/WSC and zebra kinis/dragon orbs? New content update seems to relate to the "rare" mount/clothing sale but the dorbs and charms "sale"? I ask because It really seems like there has been more sales because PWE wants to make players pay more $$$ and I'd rather not belive this as I'd have to stop and give up my efforts.

p.s. At the begining of writing this I was hopeful that so long as sales stopped for a bit prices would drop back to normal. Asterelle's insightful/depressing post about the hammers makes me b:cry
  • Mothergoose - Sanctuary
    Mothergoose - Sanctuary Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    [PHP]We also realize that lately it seems like it's been nothing but sale after sale. That's simply because the large content update we had today required a lot of work from the development team, and with the upcoming additions of the Bounty Hunter and Warsong City (very soon) it's easy to see how their plate has been full.[/PHP]

An IRL friend of mine got me to start playing this awesome game ~1.5-2 months ago so I haven't had much experience w/ sales + fluctuating gold prices. That being said can anyone elaborate on the above explanation for why there have been so many sales? It doesn't make any sense to me, I read it like this.

1) Development team is working very hard especially with the new content BH/WSC (Thank you guys)
    1.5) Therefore they deserve more of your money
    2) Therefore more sales!
    huh?? -_^?

Is there some hidden relationship between BH/WSC and zebra kinis/dragon orbs? New content update seems to relate to the "rare" mount/clothing sale but the dorbs and charms "sale"? I ask because It really seems like there has been more sales because PWE wants to make players pay more $$$ and I'd rather not belive this as I'd have to stop and give up my efforts.

p.s. At the begining of writing this I was hopeful that so long as sales stopped for a bit prices would drop back to normal. Asterelle's insightful/depressing post about the hammers makes me b:cry

I fixed it for you.b:victory
  • Rumble - Harshlands
    Rumble - Harshlands Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    What's more disturbing to me is that you claim you have only played for 1.5 - 2 months yet you're already level 79..........

Methinks someone is doing some enhanced brag-xageration.
  • EmP - Harshlands
    EmP - Harshlands Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    1) u can get to 79 in 2 months if u have the time
    2) jolly jones isnt the only reason gold is as high as it is. in the past 1.5 weeks we've had charm packs, dragon orbs, mounts land and air, fashion, misc box drops, zen sales, battle packs, and jolly. ALL of these have pushed gold prices up. GA and mirage stone prices have both risen due to shatter system. the perfect hammers have been driven up as well cuz of the cube changes. the only thing cheap from CS right now would have to be binding charms lol.

maybe im wrong but jolly jones did not cause all these changes
  • Hell_rayzer - Heavens Tear
    Hell_rayzer - Heavens Tear Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    wow i didnt think theyd make a sticky concerning this. +1 for pwi ^^
  • Starr - Harshlands
    Starr - Harshlands Posts: 331 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    xarfox wrote: »
    The reason why the price for Gold has shot through the roof, is because of the addition of Jolly Old Jones, not the Gear Shattering system.

For those who are not familiar with Jolly Old Jones, he's an NPC that allows players to trade either Guardian Angels for rewards, or 100k coins.

The secondary purpose of Jolly Old Jones, other than providing you guys with items, is to drain the economy. The last time we had this event, we drained a huge amount of money out of the PWI economy, and Gold prices re-stabilized at a lower price after Jolly Old Jones was removed from the game.

Currently gold prices are inflated, however they should fall back down after this event/sale, perhaps even to a lower benchmark since so much coin is being sunk out of the game right now.

Gold trading is something that we pay a lot of attention to at PWE. We realize that a large number of players get their gold through the auction house, and carefully watch that system with a variety of metrics, statistics, and tools. You can be sure that when you guys are upset about high Gold prices, we become concerned for our players who can't afford to charge their ZEN directly.

We also realize that lately it seems like it's been nothing but sale after sale. That's simply because the large content update we had today required a lot of work from the development team, and with the upcoming additions of the Bounty Hunter and Warsong City (very soon) it's easy to see how their plate has been full.

well i am glad that you are so positive about it. sure didnt work out that way on Harshlands the last time this type of event was held. gold prices were 60k/gold before the event. after the event gold prices have not gone under 160k at the very very lowest and stay closer to the 200k mark.

as pointed out in a previous post, the perfect hammers will assure that gold prices stay very high. HL already has a declining population due to the horrid economy. pretty much makes it impossible for the non cash shoppers to play competitively. guess back to wq/daily log off. b:sad
    the good Starr
  • starman17
    starman17 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2009

2) Therefore more sales!
    huh?? -_^?

I think what Xarfox means is that ideally they try to release new stuff every week, not just have sales. Lately, however, the development team has been hard at work on very complicated and time-intensive things, so it's just been sales every week. Now things are changing for the better as new actual content gets released.
  • Hell_rayzer - Heavens Tear
    Hell_rayzer - Heavens Tear Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    wait i just realized this makes no sense... the recent sales have been a money sink already........ why would more do the trick, obviously is hasnt been working for the last 4-5 weeks of sales......

example._goldcharm,now Guardian angels, perfect hammers, fash, orbs, the list just goes on and on all these are items that drain the money from the server and since all of these were put on sale a ton of money has already left us and guess what gold prices are at a crazy high.
This discussion has been closed.