Rising Gold Prices

Comments

• Isala - Sanctuary
    Isala - Sanctuary Posts: 1,607 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    b:surrender

I have a stash at ALL times...you never know when you are going to need to use them or be bored enough to use them!

May favorite World Chat because of the pm's: . (yes I WC a single period)

b:chuckle

You had a period on World Chat? b:shocked
  • vampirenite
    vampirenite Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    IMHO it's not profitable enough to make money this way. The exchange fee eats 4.04% for each round-trip transaction (coin->gold->coin). So if you bought gold at 180k, you'd have to sell it at 187.27k just to break even. That's pretty close to the maximum day-to-day fluctuation I saw during the event. And even when it exceeded that, you'd be making a measly 1%-3%.

On HT due to the large population the market is larger and harder to manipulate. On the PvP and the newer servers the smaller population and coin/Gold in circulation makes the fluctuation and the B/S spreads larger, especially during events and during the times that most people are asleep.

If you time the spread to net at least 10K per Gold and you are playing with a Bank Balance of say 100G you could clear 1 mil a day quite easily.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    If you time the spread to net at least 10K per Gold and you are playing with a Bank Balance of say 100G you could clear 1 mil a day quite easily.

If gold is priced at 200k like it is on most of the newer servers, and you have 100G, that's equivalent to 20 mil. Making 1 mil is only a 5% margin. Like I said, I regularly see cat shops marking stuff up from the cash shop by 10%-20%. i.e. With your 100G you could make 2-4 mil. It's more money and a lot less risky.
  • vampirenite
    vampirenite Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    If gold is priced at 200k like it is on most of the newer servers, and you have 100G, that's equivalent to 20 mil. Making 1 mil is only a 5% margin. Like I said, I regularly see cat shops marking stuff up from the cash shop by 10%-20%. i.e. With your 100G you could make 2-4 mil. It's more money and a lot less risky.

I do not believe it is less risky because you are assuming that the exchange rate is stable and prices are stable and not subject to random sales by PWI.

Your 10-20% markup in the cash shop is based on a specific exchange rate which could easily switch to a 10-20% markDOWN if exchange rates move the wrong way. In fact I have taken advantage of this many times when an overnight catshopper doesn't adjust their price when the exchange rate spikes. The other thing is that if you mark up too much it takes a long time to sell anything in a catshop.

On the other hand if you are playing the exchange rate market you tend to be more aware of what the current exchange rate is and are helping it move in the direction you want. But I would add that to make the most money you probably want to do both Catshopping and playing with the exchange rate.

One more thing coin and Gold are 100% liquid. And as they say Cash is King.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    You had a period on World Chat? b:shocked

b:shocked

0_o

That could be embarrassing....but me no. But I know a LOT of people who have b:chuckleb:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I do not believe it is less risky because you are assuming that the exchange rate is stable and prices are stable and not subject to random sales by PWI.

Your 10-20% markup in the cash shop is based on a specific exchange rate which could easily switch to a 10-20% markDOWN if exchange rates move the wrong way. In fact I have taken advantage of this many times when an overnight catshopper doesn't adjust their price when the exchange rate spikes.
    That only matters if you use gold as your reference (i.e. you bought gold with $$). If you use coin as your reference, you buy gold with coin at a certain price, then you buy the items from CS, and simply mark them up so you'll end up with 10%-20% more coin than you spent on the gold. If the exchange rate fluctuates up, you're still guaranteed 10%-20% more than you started with. If someone buys you out like you did, all that's happened is you lost an opportunity to make more than 20%.

If the exchange rate fluctuates down, then you could get screwed having to sell at a loss to recover your coin. But the big drops are fairly predictable and easy to avoid - the price of gold goes down when sales end and demand for gold drops. The smaller drops generally mean instead of making 10%-20%, you make 7%-15%. If you're smart, then you're selling sale items, so when the sale ends they'll actually go up in value. That's why cat shopping is more stable - you can set it up so it's virtually impossible to lose money.

We could argue this in circles, with you coming up with scenarios to counter anything I say. Let me put it this way - I've tried it both ways. Cat shopping CS items is much more profitable and stable.
  • Brayl - Sanctuary
    Brayl - Sanctuary Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    The box gives you 1m coin. If the gold is less than 196k it is ALWAYS profitable to buy it driving price up and injecting another 1m coin into the system out of nowhere. If gold is less than that many more will start doing cube until the price of gold has reached 196k. Don't ever expect to see gold less than 196k in the future.

Enjoy 800K gold charms.

this does not drive the price of gold up this raises the value of the chests themselves. gold=100k this has become the standard of the game and what everything else is priced off of. gold hammer=5gold=500k box=1mil=boxprice of 500k.

Anyways i would like to thank the GM for informing us of the fact that they value the nonzen players. I also appricate the fact that even though I wasb:angry about the prices of gold that they actually are keeping tabs and measures to keep the math of this games eccomony in control.

Yes jolly does mess things up as far as gold prices go but as long as they are aware of this fact and has explained the reasons for the repeditive sales it makes me even more impressed with this games management.

I gripe alot when things mess up in game but was unaware of the reasoning behind it and now will become more understanding because we seem to be in very capable hands. Thank you PW.
  • Kardie - Dreamweaver
    Kardie - Dreamweaver Posts: 371 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    well, some generous person has bought all the high priced gold and the highest buy price is somewhere around 150k, and i assume it was a GM. Thank you for fixing the outrageous gold prices. I appreciate it.
  • Qwentomec - Heavens Tear
    Qwentomec - Heavens Tear Posts: 270 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I doubt a GM would be allowed to manipulate the economy like that, especially if it might make PWI lose money. More likely it was a nice rich person giving peeps a break.

Also gold on HT is still around 190k+, and if a GM had done it for one server they surely would have done the others (yes I'm aware different servers have different GMs, but who says a GM can't have an alt? :P )
    you thilly gooses... feather set is thuper fabulous! -Bowlinbob

Chars:
    Qwentomec 94 BM / _Zappy_ 99 Wizzy / xLysander 6x Cleric / MoneyBagz 5x Veno / BaNaNa 3x Barb / _Flappy_ 2x Archer / xKnifey 2x Sin / Spoo_Ney 3x Psy

(cookie for anyone who gets the simpsons reference in those last 2 names)
  • Ophida - Dreamweaver
    Ophida - Dreamweaver Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    well, some generous person has bought all the high priced gold and the highest buy price is somewhere around 150k, and i assume it was a GM. Thank you for fixing the outrageous gold prices. I appreciate it.

It's back to 200k. If people can sell their gold for 200k+ quickly, then they're just going to put more in at that price so the price won't dip for long.

Any long term solutions to this problem won't be seen immediately. Just got to give it time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    tempest-dw.shivtr.com
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I doubt a GM would be allowed to manipulate the economy like that, especially if it might make PWI lose money. More likely it was a nice rich person giving peeps a break.
    Why assume the market is controlled by gestures of good-will? It's controlled by supply and demand. Believing in hypothetical rich players who go around deciding what Gold prices should be is like believing in magic fairies who you hope will fix your car, rather than taking it to a mechanic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • MentalEdge - Heavens Tear
    MentalEdge - Heavens Tear Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Why assume the market is controlled by gestures of good-will? It's controlled by supply and demand. Believing in hypothetical rich players who go around deciding what Gold prices should be is like believing in magic fairies who you hope will fix your car, rather than taking it to a mechanic.

Whats wrong with believing in fairy mechanics?

Theres so much you aint seen tsk tsk.
    Quit 100%...and surprised my forum account wasn't banned...yet
  • Gasoline - Lost City
    Gasoline - Lost City Posts: 304 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Goldprices cant drop much below 200k again. Its not the Gms fault its the developers that introduced Chest of fking coins.

As soon as gold drops below lets say 170k everyone can make money from Chest of coins again, ppl just buy gold in AH and get Iron hammer and than the gold prices goes up to 180-200k again.

I have like 40 chest of coins and i don't even do cube and Gv that much <.<
    I know ppl with 100s of them. As soon as you can get 5 gold for less than 1 mil ingame you can make money from chests, worse idea ever imo.
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    That varies by the supply of the chests and what they're being sold for.

If chests are catshoped at 300k, gold can't go for more than 137k.

As the surplus of chests decreases over time (which it will with sales over and less demand for gold), your scenario becomes less and less likely to happen as well. Those chests set a max price on gold, not a minimum.
  • Gasoline - Lost City
    Gasoline - Lost City Posts: 304 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    That varies by the supply of the chests and what they're being sold for.

If chests are catshoped at 300k, gold can't go for more than 137k.

As the surplus of chests decreases over time (which it will with sales over and less demand for gold), your scenario becomes less and less likely to happen as well. Those chests set a max price on gold, not a minimum.

I don't think you realize how easy 9X gets chests. I get around 3-5 per day often from cube and rebirth. If i can get golds for less than 200k each i will make a profit from them. And that goes for every 9x on the server and every person that do cube. As soon as they find gold below 200k they buy iron hammer and open chest and make money. Its really impossible for gold prices to drop when ppl get so many chest everyday, and 5 golds = 1 mil from chest.
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I don't think you realize how easy 9X gets chests. I get around 3-5 per day often from cube and rebirth. If i can get golds for less than 200k each i will make a profit from them. And that goes for every 9x on the server and every person that do cube. As soon as they find gold below 200k they buy iron hammer and open chest and make money. Its really impossible for gold prices to drop when ppl get so many chest everyday, and 5 golds = 1 mil from chest.

How much are BUY orders for gold in your server? (not being sarcastic, I do not have an account on your server to look it up myself)
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Telarith - Sanctuary
    Telarith - Sanctuary Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    To all the posters who called Xarafox a liar, or believed they were capable of an opinion that was worth a dang when saying gold would stay at 200k range: You are all idiots. Thank you.
    Fist are the worst at PvP AND PvE, if you disagree, as I said, take it to PM's or make your own guide. Go here if you want to debate about it. - Lyndura

Get a High lvl Fist warrior use it, Restat to axes. GG - complexx

:NOTE: These signatures are to forever immortalize, how stupid people can be.
  • DarkSniper - Lost City
    DarkSniper - Lost City Posts: 1,830 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    It went back down to what it was before.

It used to be at like what 120k on Lost City. It went up to around 160k and then they implemented Jolly Jones. They said it was to lower gold prices. After Jolly Jones gold goes around 160k on lost city.

It only went back to pre-jolly jones levels. It didn't really lower.
    The only way to win is to quit. b:bye
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    To all the posters who called Xarafox a liar, or believed they were capable of an opinion that was worth a dang when saying gold would stay at 200k range: You are all idiots. Thank you.
    Just stop it. They are not idiots. They had valid arguments that made sense.

What they got wrong was that they didn't listen to all the people who were in a mad Gold-buying spree because of Jolly Jones, so they mistook the Jolly Jones inflation for coin box inflation.

But that does not mean that coin boxes are not now currently inflating Gold prices. They absolutely are. The only question that remains to be seen is by how much they will do so in the long-term

So, please, keep your "told you so" nonsense to yourself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Did Xarfox grow bewbs? Or did u make his name sound kinda feminine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Legendadry - Harshlands
    Legendadry - Harshlands Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    i'm know a little bit about eco not alot but i will say theirs always 2 sides to the coin. there's more than one way to lower gold prices.

Version A: Sucking coins out of ecomoy w/ consumables. In every economy there is a limit to where people aren't going to pay as much for a product. In this example gold is the product. People aren't going to pay 300k for gold tbh. So they will keep buying gold until it get's to that limit (300k is an example limit). once players are unable to sell their gold at the desirable amount. the price will lower, to suit the demand. This is a very long way to reduce prices, also called supply side economics.

Verison B: everyone likes this version, because they feel they have more money in their pocket to spend. PW could give new quests that give you lots of coin to purchase all the junk we crave. At the same time PW would not introduce new consumable items in the game that would pull money out of it. If pw introduces no new items the demand for gold goes down. However w/ more money in the market inflation is a possiblity.

PW choose version A, which is most safer but takes longer. It may seem like things are worse but give it some time and you'll see gold bottom out.
    I dont level Slow I just enjoy the game b:surrender
  • Drazo - Dreamweaver
    Drazo - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,187 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    The gold prices are now declining (albeit at a slow and unsteady rate). Let's wait until they settle and then we'll judge if Xarfox was right, ya?
    Non-mule characters:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]....and Drazomyst.
  • Sadpuma - Heavens Tear
    Sadpuma - Heavens Tear Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Bump, bc Xar's post is just hilarious right now.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ewings - Heavens Tear
    Ewings - Heavens Tear Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited September 2009

Yeah very interesting find, i dont understand how pumping 10mil notes and end game gear into the game is part of the "great plan". I do understand they want to sell things, but imagne a lvl 19 player being able to have gear that a lvl 100 has to farm at 0.005 percent drop rate(percent might be a bit off,TT100 scarlet mat) and gold prices have sky rocketed across 500k, I am sure they r monitoring it nicely but they shud realize that a lvl 50-60 players cant afford even angels at that prices leave alone charms.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Well, the 10m note takes two perfect tickets, so it's a rare drop. I don't think you can break even with it.

The other items - they surely are pushing up the price of gold massively - everyone wants in on the act.

But I don't think that people HAVING those items will make a huge difference to the amount of coin entering the game.
  • bloblette
    bloblette Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited September 2009

+1

/10char
  • Kardie - Dreamweaver
    Kardie - Dreamweaver Posts: 371 Arc User
    edited September 2009

so true its depressing.
  • Kazue - Heavens Tear
    Kazue - Heavens Tear Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    lol... pots are cheaper by a long shot now. i wonder if i'll see charmless tws
  • Parody - Harshlands
    Parody - Harshlands Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited September 2009

Quoted for teh truths
    b:pleased
    There are three types of people in the world,
    Those that can count, and those that can't count.

パロディー b:mischievous
  • Ewings - Heavens Tear
    Ewings - Heavens Tear Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited September 2009

Those tokens are "not" rare i see alteast 100+ an hour, nyone in heavens tear wud attest to it. even if only 30 percent of it gets turned to coin thats 150mil/hour.
This discussion has been closed.