Pandora's PVP Wizard Guide

Options

Comments

• Miss_Tika - Lost City
    Miss_Tika - Lost City Posts: 730 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    I actually finished it, but the ****ty forums deleted everything past what you see and I didn't back it up. I asked the GMs to recover it and they never did. I won't write it again until I get really motivated, that was a ton of ****.

Wow. LOL

Sorry to hear that.
  • Kuth - Dreamweaver
    Kuth - Dreamweaver Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    My friends all think I'm crazy and they keep on telling me LA mage is stupid but I love this build b:thanks
  • AndromedaB - Sanctuary
    AndromedaB - Sanctuary Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    My friends all think I'm crazy and they keep on telling me LA mage is stupid but I love this build b:thanks

pure ftwb:victory
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    lol earlier during a wraith event some archer shot me while I was wearing some arcane gear and I ended up being hit for 1.5k non crit... by a 6x archer using deadly shot. Granted I was wearing mdef jewelry and arcane with no +pdef but still. Later when I switched from my arcane gear he hit me again after sparking and he didn't go above 1k. I'll stick to LA.
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
  • Oracular - Sanctuary
    Oracular - Sanctuary Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    very useful guide, thanks a lot :)
  • Skyannie - Lost City
    Skyannie - Lost City Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    lol earlier during a wraith event some archer shot me while I was wearing some arcane gear and I ended up being hit for 1.5k non crit... by a 6x archer using deadly shot. Granted I was wearing mdef jewelry and arcane with no +pdef but still. Later when I switched to my arcane gear he hit me again after sparking and he didn't go above 1k. I'll stick to LA.

So what you're saying here is you weren't wearing the right magic gear and got hit for 1.5k, so you prefer LA.
    As only the child that I was, I tread with giants.
    Their footprints on the sand, marked for times immemorial, serve as evidence of hope.
    And though my short legs could not keep up, my heart was always by their side. Conqueror.
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited April 2009
    Options
    So what you're saying here is you weren't wearing the right magic gear and got hit for 1.5k, so you prefer LA.
    ...no, considering I was still wearing two LA pieces, the defense difference would've been relatively small.
  • Kuth - Dreamweaver
    Kuth - Dreamweaver Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    So what your saying:

diminish half your matk, hit the same as robes?
    have same pdef, still outlive robe?
    have same/lower hp, still outlive robe?

fully buffed: 66% pdef reduction, 75% mdef reduction, and 5.3k hp; while hitting full damage. i don't see the flaw. after 90 staying light armor is pointless, you're just too afraid of archers to switch back.

I read the entire thread, and I just have to say, this is one of the most **** comments I've ever seen on a forum.

Just ****.
  • Cbastor - Lost City
    Cbastor - Lost City Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    man that guide hurts my eyes.but yea it seems to be a pretty good guide and probually took u long "waste of time"and yes u are correct about LLama being a fail mage just like lushes and oz (they cant kill me 1v1 even when im inbuffed and spirea also forgot about that nub)about the pvp skills u were also correct
  • Pandora - Lost City
    Pandora - Lost City Posts: 454 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    pure ftwb:victory

PVE Pro ftwb:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Because the bigger your damage, the bigger your epeen.
  • Zomgfor - Harshlands
    Zomgfor - Harshlands Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    I'm not sure exactly, why do people say even if you're LA its better to be pure 96+? If theres no point in going arcane cause its overkill and LA has much higher hp / survivability, why does arcane stop being overkill at 96?
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    Forp - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,445 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    I read the entire thread, and I just have to say, this is one of the most **** comments I've ever seen on a forum.

Just ****.

Just ****.
  • Pandora - Lost City
    Pandora - Lost City Posts: 454 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    I'm not sure exactly, why do people say even if you're LA its better to be pure 96+? If theres no point in going arcane cause its overkill and LA has much higher hp / survivability, why does arcane stop being overkill at 96?

Arcane isn't overkill, it's basically the same damage as light, lol.

However, at 96, because of how high the levels are, the difference in mag gets pretty considerable and the damage does become noticably better. So why 96 and not 90? There's a cape at 96 that adds 250 pdef. Combine that with the pdef 5% hp necklace, and you have 2 pieces of endgame gear that you can upgrade to massive amounts since you'll never (likely) have to change it.

250 pdef on a piece of gear that didn't normally have pdef and two pieces of gear that are considered "final" gear means that you can go upgrade crazy and not feel bad, finally bringing the pdef of robe to an acceptable level.

But, if you put all pdef stones in your gear, you're **** and still ****. It doesn't matter if you have 8k pdef like a light armor but only 4k hp. Still a oneshot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Because the bigger your damage, the bigger your epeen.
  • poorteg
    poorteg Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Is it possible for you to write a quick strategy VS each class? Like what skill is best, or skill chain is best. Thanks
  • Miss_Tika - Lost City
    edited April 2009
    Options
    poorteg wrote: »
    Is it possible for you to write a quick strategy VS each class? Like what skill is best, or skill chain is best. Thanks

Good question. Too bad it actually requires alot of skill, pots and gear to 1v1 another class. Distance shrink, force of will and essential sutra are your best friends.
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    Options

slam your feet on the keyboard while drunk.
  • King_Solomon - Heavens Tear
    King_Solomon - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,341 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options

too hard to make. strategy/skill change a lot concerning level, build, weapon and even network latency.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you're willing to join another online game do NOT join any hosted by K2 NETWORK. Want to know why? Check BBB complaints.
  • Fjalar - Heavens Tear
    Fjalar - Heavens Tear Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    I'm sure this has come up, but I'm not gonna go through the 50+ pages of the thread to find it. How exactly are full int or light armor the only good builds? First of all, a full int wizard is great unless you aren't essentially stabbing someone in the back, so you're a guaranteed dead target to anyone who sees you first and how would you address the supremacy every non-melee class will have over you if you're in light armor? You don't have comprehensive mdef buffs like a cleric does so you're working with archer mdef without the the archer barrier, better HP or the archer's offensive edge against casters. Also, in the 90s, light armor takes you well past the the diminishing returns threshold for pdef anyway. Granted, arcane leaves much to be desired, but there's wasted attributes on both sides of the fence. I'm contemplating switching to light armor but it's not bms and barbs that scare me in the first place since I can theoretically run and gun with them, and that's the only area I'd be helped in; letting them stay in my face.
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited April 2009
    Options
    and how would you address the supremacy every non-melee class will have over you if you're in light armor?
    At my level at least, Light Armor isn't all that far behind. Other wizards hurt you more on average hits, but a wizard can't kill another wizard with normal attacks, since you know which spells the other can use, meaning you can FoW/Blink when things get rough. The only way to kill another wizard is Ult/Sutra/criticals. And Light Armor allows you to take a Tempest more easily, and your critrate is the higher one. You're at a disadvantage, but it's not horrible.

Clerics... are going to be bad either way. Either you get **** by plume shot or a combination of other spells. Self healing, sleep, debuff, high mdef, and so on. An equal level cleric is something I'd avoid with both gears unless I know they're dumb and will allow me to get a tempest off.

Venomancers rip a hole in you either way, bugged bleed and stun(s) **** you over, along with higher movement speed, ability to debuff, whatever. At least Light Armor gives a little more survivability against the pet.

Don't know what to say about archers. I haven't used a HP hiero yet, I PvP without too, and I've managed to kill equal level archers one on one by just spamming event pots (2500hp/10sec), so either the archers I've fought suck/are idiots or you actually have an advantage over them. Personally in Light Armor I'm not worried about them, and with a hiero it'd be even easier. I assume this changes at higher levels, but I dunno.

^not facts, but that's what I've gathered from my own experience. I fight people with hiero's all the time, without using one myself, and I manage...
  • Miss_Tika - Lost City
    edited April 2009
    Options
    I'm sure this has come up, but I'm not gonna go through the 50+ pages of the thread to find it. How exactly are full int or light armor the only good builds? First of all, a full int wizard is great unless you aren't essentially stabbing someone in the back, so you're a guaranteed dead target to anyone who sees you first and how would you address the supremacy every non-melee class will have over you if you're in light armor? You don't have comprehensive mdef buffs like a cleric does so you're working with archer mdef without the the archer barrier, better HP or the archer's offensive edge against casters. Also, in the 90s, light armor takes you well past the the diminishing returns threshold for pdef anyway. Granted, arcane leaves much to be desired, but there's wasted attributes on both sides of the fence. I'm contemplating switching to light armor but it's not bms and barbs that scare me in the first place since I can theoretically run and gun with them, and that's the only area I'd be helped in; letting them stay in my face.

So what the hell are you asking?

Read the first page of pandora's post and he explains all the different builds.
  • Fjalar - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    Options
    I'm asking for commentary on the downfalls. I've known how to make the builds; I've played this game since the last unmentionable server launched. My own observations with wizards in light armor is that they either found that it didn't stack up past the mid-levels simply in terms of PvE/leveling or, if they did make it work, they did so with extremely refined armor with high-end shards and expanded slots for said shards. The thing is, with that much of a financial investment, you could make an arcane character robust too. As to pure magic, you are a target, pure and simple but again, the only real solution to this is a lot of money. How much % physical reduction would a light armor wizard have at my level outside of ultra-refinement? If it's something like 75%, I'm not sure that's worth the obligatory potential loss of ~1350 free hp, which may constitute a larger percentile loss in functional durability than the increase in physical reduction or that it's close enough to justify the moderate unbuffed mdef of light armor. Should there be a disclaimer to say this guide is for those ready to make +8 armor or are archers, clerics and venos really going to blindly rely on physical attacks against you over and over again once they know what you're packing? Also bear in mind that the innate critical rate from a light armor build at my level would only be 5%, which is nice, but it's not substantial to enough to consider it a selling point.
  • Amour - Lost City
    Amour - Lost City Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    As a LA mage at 84, with +2 gear and g5/g6 sharded gear I have 57% (4.4k pdef) reduction self buffed, 3450 mdef (50% reduction) and 3.6k hp unbuffed.

No super refinement here, I'd rather level up my skills.

Full buffed;
    ~65-70% pdef reduction
    ~60-65% mdef reduction
    ~4700 HP
    ~10% critical rate
    ~4500-5500 magic attack

That's pretty damn formidable, and yes, I trade 5-10% mdef for ~15% pdef. But really, mages should be focusing on heavies. Venos = phoenix, and LA reduces damage of that. Clerics will **** you no matter what build you are.

The way I see it is you can't do damage while you're dead. As a vit robe you have the same damage as a light armor, but are more expensive to build to the same survivablity, and you're minus the crit. 7x/8x robes are expensive and good ones are far and few between, LA has molders you can buy with chips. Light armor trades some attack but in turns gains crit, and trades mdef but in turn gains pdef. You're more likely to be focused by archers (which hurt period, but less with LA) and warriors and werebeasts, and if you're vit robe isn't built properly, you'll drop like a fly. I can sit and tank WRs and WBs my level, by just using force of will if things get a little shaky. I'd like to see a robe do that...
    "Amour is better suited to rainbow text, because he is a classy lady." - Nakhimov
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    Options
    how is vit more expensive? if anything, giving you base hp gives plenty of room to chock your armor full of pdef gems and refine pdef jewelery. same damage, but a higher survivability rate due to the boost in hp(1,200ish more hp at 84). i'm not sure i know of any affordable gems giving that much hp.

stacking every possible socketed piece of armor with g5 gems, all maxed, even your wep, is +650 hp. i'd take the 1,200 over 650.
  • Amour - Lost City
    edited April 2009
    Options
    +'s give more hp, LA items themselves are more likely to have +hp.
    Finding robes that have nice +pdef mods that would match or come close to what a piece of LA the same level has is hard. And like I said, you trade damage, you turn from a spike machine to a... poke machine. You have no crit to back up your weak damage. I'd be lying if I said I didn't rely on crits to kill certain people.
    "Amour is better suited to rainbow text, because he is a classy lady." - Nakhimov
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    Options
    i guess crit is the only thing from light armor that's even worth it then. but, on the other hand, you could simply get some crit rings.
  • Amour - Lost City
    edited April 2009
    Options
    I have crit rings.
    I won't reach 10% crit on a robe mage, not right now.
    Like I said, the crit supports your crappy damage. I'd be hitting the same as I am right now if I was vit build, except I'd kill people a lot less often. For example I just undine'd a WB, hit him for 2.4k with sandstorm, then crit him with Mountain's Seize for 6700. Two shot. Str build barbs ftw (he was 8x btw)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    Options
    i did hear there was a lot of ****ed up builds in lost city. what good is a barb with no vit? that's almost as bad as nixlands, where they have light barbs.
  • Fjalar - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Well, let me put it this way.

One vitality is half a level's worth of hp, so if you'd put most of your spare points into vitality, you'd have 35 hp per level rather than 20, which is a 75% increase to your defense against everything, not just people you can run from. I don't feel that's an inferior option to the additional damage (which definitely isn't 75% more) when it's simpler to just refine your weapon (as opposed to every other piece of equipment to be survivable) for damage and I haven't been especially blown away by what full mag wizards do anyway. Also, at level 90, the green TT armor, which is what I'm getting, has the same hp bonuses in both light and arcane. What I'm curious about is the difference in hp gains from each respective set through refinement. If light armor has considerably more to offer there, I'd switch, but if I'm going to lose 75% hp for 25% more pdef, and a averaged 4% better damage, I don't think that's a fair trade-off.
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited April 2009
    Options
    i did hear there was a lot of ****ed up builds in lost city. what good is a barb with no vit? that's almost as bad as nixlands, where they have light barbs.
    lol, just because they're str built doesn't mean they don't have vit. Not every barb dumps all their remaining stat points in vit.
  • Amour - Lost City
    edited April 2009
    Options
    At 90 I plan to restat to full int, maybe. That's my intention although it's very subject to change. You make a good argument for vit, but I still won't try it till 90, because I hate being robes at my level. Too much hassle to get gear. We'll see...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.