Fist damage does not "suck"...

Comments

• _WillFire_ - Sanctuary
    _WillFire_ - Sanctuary Posts: 563 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    complexx wrote: »
    If everything in your posts is correctly done, Which it isn't, Why don't more people admit fist doesn't suck?

Oh that's right. Fist damage and Fist skills are HORRIBLE silly me.

You must really love fists to defend them so bad.

No...I'm just familiar with games of this sort to know that "advantage" is rarely that. There is always a balance.

Each weapon and class has it's high and low points. The point of this entire thread is that Fist damage does not suck. The math tells a different story than the "pwnzor" fanatics. If you can figure out the math of a build then you can optimize the role you play in the "food chain".

It also addresses problems like people whining about a class type being "overpowered". Do the math. Once you have that down you can make an informed decision instead of crying.

BM's of any stripe should be balanced against each other in thier respective roles. Else there is no point to the many different weapon types. No one intentionally gimps themselves nor do the developers of the games intentionally allow classes that are weak for thier role.

Honestly...if you folks haven't worked out the math for this game after "many years" then there is no helping you.
    Mark 12:29-37
    _WillFire_ 8x Combat Medic
  • Dravion - Lost City
    Dravion - Lost City Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    i know its a bit off topic but the game ISnt balanced because the veno has access to a super pet called the phoenix

and dont exactly suck its just the worst wepon for bms and are only really used by ppll who like them alot. i wish ppl would stop comparing pw to other mmos
  • Boblion - Heavens Tear
    Boblion - Heavens Tear Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Fist = fight mages,clerics, wizards, anything with low hp/armor
    Sword = 1v1
    Axe = AOE stun/AOE damage
    Spear = Mix of sword/axe
    Just going off on Monarch's guide here. That's their role in the "food chain."

You can do the math, however you'll most likely end up with the same result as Lyndura's statistical analysis.
  • Lyndura - Lost City
    Lyndura - Lost City Posts: 829 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    No...I'm just familiar with games of this sort to know that "advantage" is rarely that. There is always a balance.

Each weapon and class has it's high and low points. The point of this entire thread is that Fist damage does not suck. The math tells a different story than the "pwnzor" fanatics. If you can figure out the math of a build then you can optimize the role you play in the "food chain".

It also addresses problems like people whining about a class type being "overpowered". Do the math. Once you have that down you can make an informed decision instead of crying.

BM's of any stripe should be balanced against each other in thier respective roles. Else there is no point to the many different weapon types. No one intentionally gimps themselves nor do the developers of the games intentionally allow classes that are weak for thier role.

Honestly...if you folks haven't worked out the math for this game after "many years" then there is no helping you.

1.- Welcome to MMORPG's, where there is NOT always a balance.

2.- Also, I already said that your maths are wrong since you don't know the formulas to get the damage, it's not only using physical attack.
    Fist = fight mages,clerics, wizards, anything with low hp/armor
    Sword = 1v1
    Axe = AOE stun/AOE damage
    Spear = Mix of sword/axe
    Just going off on Monarch's guide here. That's their role in the "food chain."

You can do the math, however you'll most likely end up with the same result as Lyndura's statistical analysis.

I'll quote myself on another topic:
    The myth that Fist BM's are good against casters was made up when Fist users realized they would have so little HP if they tried to use Heavy Armor and their weapon, so they switched to Light Armor to get a little more of HP, kind of forced to.

And since they didn't had Heavy Armor, they got nerfed against meele users, so the only ones left to fight were magic classes. But they still have low damage, and their "anti-casters" skill, Shadowless Kick, has a significant cooldown of 12 seconds, so it's not that useful. Archers kill them easily with LA, since the key to beat an Archer at higher levels is a good amount of PDEF from Heavy Armor, combined with level 3-5 Marrow Magical. So Fist get easily beated when fighting casters by any other weapon, specially Spear and Sword.

It works at low levels, but when casters start getting more HP and more PDEF, and of course, way more damage, then Fist doesn't really has a chance against them.
  • complexx
    complexx Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2008

I feel bad for you, Keep living in La la land. Have a great day im done on this topic.

Theres no point in trying to explain to someone who's up his own butt to see how the game play works. Go spout math more.

Get a High lvl Fist warrior use it, Restat to axes. GG.
    b:cute

Sinnerz Lost City PvP.
  • Torm - Heavens Tear
    Torm - Heavens Tear Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Its so funny to see people argue over something that really cant be proved.

The numbers shown above are pretty accurate but they are based on no skills being used. Who doesnt use skills? I know in pvp usually people spam skills no stop. If you would like to do the numbers based on skills between BM weapons be my guess and i think you will find that Fist is actually farther behind sword and way behind spear. However then you have to add crit rate.

If you add in crit rate it will vary between each persons build. I have seen sword warriors with as much dex and fist. Overall it really boils down to personal preference and what you want to get done.

All BM's have to have a mix of str, dex, vit.

The more str and vit the better tank, the more dex the higher the hit % and crit %. Weapons cannot be compared because everyone builds there BM different. However IMO
    Spear would be the best 1V1 because of the range and the fast attack skills. Axe is by far the best at TW due to massive aoe/ damage when they hit and higher def (usually).

Build what you want but to me fist has the most disadvantages of any weapon. Yes it has the highes crit, ev, acc of any BM naturally but also the lowest HP and def. Also its greatest attribute is attack speed which is not relevant when using skills. Also an axe build is the greatest risk reward build. Great at tw and aoe grinding not very good at single target at all though. keep that in mind.

This is just my opinions but either way let the flame begin lol
  • _WillFire_ - Sanctuary
    _WillFire_ - Sanctuary Posts: 563 Arc User
    edited December 2008

The numbers shown above are pretty accurate but they are based on no skills being used. Who doesnt use skills? I know in pvp usually people spam skills no stop. If you would like to do the numbers based on skills between BM weapons be my guess and i think you will find that Fist is actually farther behind sword and way behind spear. However then you have to add crit rate.

If you add in crit rate it will vary between each persons build. I have seen sword warriors with as much dex and fist. Overall it really boils down to personal preference and what you want to get done.

The more str and vit the better tank, the more dex the higher the hit % and crit %. Weapons cannot be compared because everyone builds there BM different. However IMO
    Spear would be the best 1V1 because of the range and the fast attack skills. Axe is by far the best at TW due to massive aoe/ damage when they hit and higher def (usually).

Build what you want but to me fist has the most disadvantages of any weapon. Yes it has the highes crit, ev, acc of any BM naturally but also the lowest HP and def. Also its greatest attribute is attack speed which is not relevant when using skills. Also an axe build is the greatest risk reward build. Great at tw and aoe grinding not very good at single target at all though. keep that in mind.

Actually, comparitively, this post is actually useful. Thank you.
    Mark 12:29-37
    _WillFire_ 8x Combat Medic
  • Lyndura - Lost City
    edited December 2008

His numbers are not accurate because he is not taking into considerating the STR for the damage calculation. I know they are not accurate, because if it was true, Spear (Level 60) would have 421-693 physical attack, +56 bonus, and I would be hitting something around those numbers without any other equip, but I hit around 1.3~1.4k without any other equips that adds physical attack, and the criticals go up to 2.8~3k. [This is againt mobs of my level]

With full equipment it goes from 1.5~1.7k and criticals for 3.1~3.4k with normal attacks. And my attack rate is 1 per second.

Stats:

5 STR every two levels for Heavy Armor.
    Capping VIT at some point because going past that is useless.
    Rest into DEX.

Any PvP BM has as much accuracy/evasion/critical hit chance (except Axe, but way higher damage) as Fists.

This is why they "suck", they get easily beated by any other weapon at anything, but attack rate, which doesn't really helps that much because of the low damage.

Your comparations between weapons are accurate.
  • Blksunrising - Lost City
    Blksunrising - Lost City Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited December 2008

single target means solo'ing ~?
  • Lyndura - Lost City
    edited December 2008
    Single target = 1 single target

Solo'ing can be either, 1 by 1, or mobbing a group of mobs to kill them at the same time.

But Axes are good at single target too, pretty good when you're built for PvP. At PvE doesn't matter because Axes are the ones that level the fastest.
  • Torm - Heavens Tear
    edited December 2008
    single target means solo'ing ~?

No single target mean exactly what it says. Axe bm's have mutiple aoe attacks. Aoe attacks have a long cast time but they can hit many targets = great damge. However aoe skills against a single target is a waste. This is a huge disadvangtage for an axe BM but it is all relative to your play style. People that do not do TW and like to solo grind and solo pk -axe would not suit them very well that was the point i was trying to make.
  • Lyndura - Lost City
    edited December 2008
    Axes are good at single target too, pretty good when you're built for PvP. At PvE doesn't matter because Axes are the ones that level the fastest.

Adding to that, Axes are the best at solo grinding too, so if they like to solo grinding then it would suit them.
  • Blksunrising - Lost City
    Blksunrising - Lost City Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Yeah i pretty much love axes
  • mecurial
    mecurial Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    oh yea...i'll totally agree with you IF PW developers' remove all those skills , left with normal atck to play around...
    Until then...don't ever come up with a poor assumptiion and lame logic b:bye
    ~~~~la la la~~~~~~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kingpiccolo - Heavens Tear
    Kingpiccolo - Heavens Tear Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    From a TW perspective fist BM are just a small annoyance, if you can EVER get a caster in close range 1v1 sure you can break some bones, but so can every other type of BM. Spears have the advantage of range where they can skewer several players from a distance before leaping or sprinting away. Swords have the ability to dish out crazy damage in 1v1 and unleash their Myriad Sword Stance on groups which is just stupid damage. Axe can also make use of their range of AoE abilities allowing for random casualties around the enemy side of the battlefield. Fist BM however have to get in close and dirty sword BM style but they don't have nearly as much damage dealing potential and will most likely get shot down by magic users, the lower damage means that even if they do reach the enemy they will take longer killing them, resulting in less survivability.
  • Boo_Yah - Sanctuary
    Boo_Yah - Sanctuary Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Aight gonna throw in my dime and you can keep the change - I've read both Willfire's and Ly's Post and decided to build one myself. Here's what I have found - A fist B/M is pretty close to rolling a Pure Mage. It requires skill to use effectively. They are NOT meant for PK or TW. If this is something you would enjoy doing please reconsider this build. I have had no trouble with PVE. I have noticed a huge factor in Dueling players of same level even a level or two below me that being I get my face stomped. I have also waited for other B/M's to attack a certian prey and tried to attack at same timing (kinda hard to do). I have found that some I can kill before they do and some they kill before me. I have also noticed I hit 3X's to their one hit. Damage wise though they do more! End of story! So I will continue my B/M build ( mainly because I appreciate a challange ) and report any differences I see as I level up. But for right now I would have to agree with Ly and say to you Will that your math maybe right but theres more to it somewhere cuz its not adding up right in the game.
  • dekciw
    dekciw Posts: 954 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I'll make it clear for everyone and settle this fist debate :

Fist aren't bad no they are actually very good but they are NOT suited for PvP in general. Why? Because with the current pvp system involving hieros you need to deal a huge amount of damage in a short combo of skill to kill your target ( SPIKE DAMAGE), this is why DPS doesn't matter in those case. This is why blade,fist fail in this area and whatever the fist-blade fanboy will tell you it doesn't matter Axe-Spear are clearly the best weapon choices for world PvP and TWs. Duels are another story, Fist and blades are actually amazing in that area because there is no hiero involved so basically its the class that can dish out the most damage in a certain amount of time that is delimited by your enemy's HP - DPS

Also, you Light Armor fist warrior lovers. As much as I really don't care about what armor you use let me point out that every argument you use to make LA sound better are all false. Let me explain,

HP : You get more HP out of heavy armor because of refining, the fact that you go LightArmor even tho you are able to spend more points into vit is irrelevant, vitality gives you a very little amount of hp while refining gives you A LOT.

Mdef : Warriors have a skill commonly called magical sutra which lowers your pdef and increase your mdef by a % amount, well guess what that skills pretty much give you the effect of a Light Armor while you are heavy. Actually it gives you more pdef and pretty much as much mdef if not more because you can actually afford putting one more point in the skill without completely gimping your pdef. As a matter of fact, I could give you the SS of a level 100-101 Warrior that has ~10k mdef and about ~12k pdef - heavy armor. EDIT : http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff56/snowbear2508/editwr.jpg

Evasion : Evasion is not worth relying on unless you have TON of it, and then again you can't evade magic and as a Warrior odds are, all the freaking mage and archers will use magic on you, WOOPIDOO. Which means Evasion doesn't protect you against anyone but melees and guess what Melees(other Warriors/Blademasters and WereBeast/Barbarian) won't go for a warrior in pvp unless they're completely **** and bad.

Don't get me wrong fist are amazing and I actually consider getting fists to solo once I reach 100 (92 atm) because you charge vigor and kill amazingly quick with decent fists. ( hell spark is like fist's warrior paradise).
    Fist Warrior are probably the most useful type of Warrior for HH/FBs but they aren't designed for world pvp and TWs. I think they improve in TW around level 92 when they can actually learn their AOE shadowless kick which would probably rock in TW but that's about it.

To sum up Fist Warriors, I see them as PvE class and an End Game support-pvp class. Or if you really like duels. That's about it.
    ZzXVdr5.png
  • Eluiveitie - Lost City
    Eluiveitie - Lost City Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    dekciw wrote: »

Fist aren't bad no they are actually very good but they are NOT suited for PvP in general. Why? Because with the current pvp system involving hieros you need to deal a huge amount of damage in a short combo of skill to kill your target ( SPIKE DAMAGE), this is why DPS doesn't matter in those case. This is why blade,fist fail in this area and whatever the fist-blade fanboy will tell you it doesn't matter Axe-Spear are clearly the best weapon choices for world PvP and TWs. Duels are another story, Fist and blades are actually amazing in that area because there is no hiero involved so basically its the class that can dish out the most damage in a certain amount of time that is delimited by your enemy's HP - DPS

Also, you Light Armor fist warrior lovers. As much as I really don't care about what armor you use let me point out that every argument you use to make LA sound better are all false. Let me explain,

HP : You get more HP out of heavy armor because of refining, the fact that you go LightArmor even tho you are able to spend more points into vit is irrelevant, vitality gives you a very little amount of hp while refining gives you A LOT.

Mdef : Warriors have a skill commonly called magical sutra which lowers your pdef and increase your mdef by a % amount, well guess what that skills pretty much give you the effect of a Light Armor while you are heavy. Actually it gives you more pdef and pretty much as much mdef if not more because you can actually afford putting one more point in the skill without completely gimping your pdef. As a matter of fact, I could give you the SS of a level 100-101 Warrior that has ~10k mdef and about ~12k pdef - heavy armor. EDIT : http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff56/snowbear2508/editwr.jpg

Evasion : Evasion is not worth relying on unless you have TON of it, and then again you can't evade magic and as a Warrior odds are, all the freaking mage and archers will use magic on you, WOOPIDOO. Which means Evasion doesn't protect you against anyone but melees and guess what Melees(other Warriors/Blademasters and WereBeast/Barbarian) won't go for a warrior in pvp unless they're completely **** and bad.

Don't get me wrong fist are amazing and I actually consider getting fists to solo once I reach 100 (92 atm) because you charge vigor and kill amazingly quick with decent fists. ( hell spark is like fist's warrior paradise).
    Fist Warrior are probably the most useful type of Warrior for HH/FBs but they aren't designed for world pvp and TWs. I think they improve in TW around level 92 when they can actually learn their AOE shadowless kick which would probably rock in TW but that's about it.

To sum up Fist Warriors, I see them as PvE class and an End Game support-pvp class. Or if you really like duels. That's about it.

i am a fist bm (light armored though) and i agree with what you say .
    in fist dps is the best of all in my opinion but the lack of spike dmg results in not beeing able to kill charm users . in duels i kill most people i meet .
  • Lyndura - Lost City
    edited January 2009
    dekciw wrote: »

I pretty much agree with all you say, but two things:

Duels- They are only good if your oponent is going to tank you, which won't really happen against any other class but WB and WR and even then Spear is not going to, and others will just stun. Of course there is the Palm thing, but sometimes it's not enough.

PvE - Just once they get Hell Fury.

Hell Fury + Cyclone Heel = Delicious attack speed. (Which becomes something useful to kill Mages with bow at 9x+).

And also a little dangerous, because even if you deal low damage, once you get past 2 attacks per second you have the chance to steal the aggro from the WB and then get the boss to kill you :P
  • mecurial
    mecurial Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    zzz....reviving this lame old thread...
    ~~~~la la la~~~~~~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Purple - Lost City
    Purple - Lost City Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Me too.

Who the hell would do 600-700 damage with fist after 60?
    I am doing about ~1k 1.53/sec at 64.

<3 reduced interval gear.
    Wall sniping, ninja tree magic, and medium range artillery. Whine less, please. b:lipcurl
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kreiv
    kreiv Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    hahaha, this is really funny....m8, i had fist wr lvl 92 en MY server....its really cool....is a assasin for pk....is really better of axes wr...but axes wr are better for TW.
    Yeah...the fist wr have low damage...but have really critical and nice acurracy....in MY for kill archer....i olny need one stun for kill him....with normal wr...i cant kill them but they cant kill me....with wb...similar....magician....omg 2 critical and die, wf are problems always...but fist wr can kill also..
    Fist wr is assasin....fury grade 2, 1 stun....4 5 critical in 6 second...and die..u dont know nothing if u said fist wr are bad for pvp...hahaha.
    UMMMM, fist wr have the better aoe of wr....skill 79...high damaged....reduce attack speed, paralizate....and reduce movement....yeah...fist wr are really bad
  • noobpowah
    noobpowah Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    hey there! im a noob that fall in love with fists XD

and i wanted to know if there is any experience "fister" that could teach me how to play with fists o.o

i like fists cuz its diferent..every1 uses swords axes and spears --'

and cuz its fast o.o

im lvl 29 and dont know what/when should i add =S

some1 help me out? :P
  • Flyieaf - Heavens Tear
    Flyieaf - Heavens Tear Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    actually ive looked into on my higher characters fists actually make you pull of skills faster thus your pulling more skills off and getting chi faster to let off your double spark skill faster 1.43 (fist speed) we will round to 1.5 so in 2 seconds you pull off 3 attacks which is 1 more then sword so keep going 2 sec later fist used 6 attack sword have used 4 so fist will always be ahead in number of attacks i timed i pull skillz like aeolin blade off way quicker when weilding claws and fists then swords and i obliterate im not dissing either though because my high lvl bm is dual weapon sword/fist and owns so yup
  • noobpowah
    noobpowah Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    so yup? :S

so what? o.o what are you answearing?

no Quote im lost :S
  • Torm - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    actually ive looked into on my higher characters fists actually make you pull of skills faster thus your pulling more skills off and getting chi faster to let off your double spark skill faster 1.43 (fist speed) we will round to 1.5 so in 2 seconds you pull off 3 attacks which is 1 more then sword so keep going 2 sec later fist used 6 attack sword have used 4 so fist will always be ahead in number of attacks i timed i pull skillz like aeolin blade off way quicker when weilding claws and fists then swords and i obliterate im not dissing either though because my high lvl bm is dual weapon sword/fist and owns so yup

OK since you have a casting and channelling time that is set for skills, how exactly does fist do them quicker?. I mean skills like aeolian that all BM's can use go off in the same exacty timing. Try it all you want but your findings are wrong. Fist has other skill that have a nice cast time but are still not the DD's that axe's are. Even just attacking with 0 skill axe and fist are extremly close. Now when/ if you go demon fists used with demon spark are very nice. ( because demon spark gives you 25% attack rate) However this again is using 0 skills. Using skills with demon/ sage spark is much better spike damage.

All in all fist has its uses, however IMO if you dont use atleast 2 weapons at lvl 80 + you fail as a BM. Most BM's at higher lvl will use 3-4 weapons. (atleast the good ones)
  • Triple_T_K_A - Heavens Tear
    Triple_T_K_A - Heavens Tear Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    All in all fist has its uses, however IMO if you dont use atleast 2 weapons at lvl 80 + you fail as a BM. Most BM's at higher lvl will use 3-4 weapons. (atleast the good ones)

I ask you Why would we fail as a BM if we dont choose to Dual(or Multi)-path?...and Really all the GOOD BM's use 3 or 4 weapons?......

What if you choose one weapon and you polish your skills and you become awesome with it?...Is it better to branch out to other weapons and be mediocre with them rather than really good at only one?

Im not saying that thats what Im gonna do or anybody should do it but still......*wondering*
  • pieexplosion
    pieexplosion Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    So... assuming that every possible combination of skills and skill usage was explored and accounting for the faster normal attack Chi generation, fist damage is awful? I just started up and this game seems pretty easy so far.

Just how awful are we talking? Is it like a "hard mode" awful or a "no one will ever invite me to a group" awful? Because "no one will ever invite me to a group" awful would probably **** the PWI experience... and probably make me quit being a BM.
  • Wyeth - Heavens Tear
    Wyeth - Heavens Tear Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    people always say fist BM sucks but...

somehow i always watch my guildmates **** TW and PK with dark flash or annihilator of souls
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xsundropx
    xsundropx Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, I still hear people say: "Fist BM's suck, they'll never beat other classes." Well, take some of these ideas into thought. Fist BM's usually use Light armor, meaning they have a higher MDef. Well, 3/6 classes are magic classes themselves(Clerics and Venos being partial exceptions to the phys spell/ pets). Not only that, one other class uses Light armor along with you, the archers. This leaves you with 4/6 classes you can potentially beat because you have a higher MDef then most BM/Barb, and enough skills to distrupt them from casting.

The only downfall I can see is vs Heavy armor wearers, because they'll hit you harder then your hitting them. Even with the high evasion, they'll most likely be using accuracy gear against you to be able to hit you more. Another downfall I see is in pve. The fact that fist BMs don't get hardly any aoe's means we'll mostly be killing 1 monster at a time, but it could perhaps even out if fist BMs are able to kill these mobs faster than an aoeing axe bm.

So far with my first impressions of a fist BM, I think they rock. And I'll prove to some of my doubting faction members that they don't suck as bad as they say they do.
This discussion has been closed.