Revised Pvp Wizard Guide

Comments

• frenzi
    frenzi Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    The really goods ones are too high level and too secretive, so you actually might never see them. x.x The top mage, I'm not sure he has a single post count on the forums, or a single world chat. But, he's level 98... and more, it's not just level.

Edit: Read some of this thread now... Mages are useful as of 90+, probably might even need to reach as far as 99, it's not an easy class, and it's not instantly gratifying. However, in the looong run, mages do ****. Obviously, it's hard to detect from how much we suck at the beginning. Note, it does take that specific level's HH gear, so it's not reach-and-receive either.

+1
    Mages SUCK till 59, then they're only suckish. At 79 they turn to ok, and at 89/90 they're pretty damn good. 100+ is just overpowered. Most people don't have the determination to get there though.
  • Skyannie - Lost City
    Skyannie - Lost City Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    frenzi wrote: »
    +1
    Mages SUCK till 59, then they're only suckish. At 79 they turn to ok, and at 89/90 they're pretty damn good. 100+ is just overpowered. Most people don't have the determination to get there though.

Mage is not for the faint of heart. b:surrender
    As only the child that I was, I tread with giants.
    Their footprints on the sand, marked for times immemorial, serve as evidence of hope.
    And though my short legs could not keep up, my heart was always by their side. Conqueror.
  • Turk - Lost City
    Turk - Lost City Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I've seen countless mages using gush as their primary spell on earth mobs, even while they are being tanked by a barb.

Why cant u use gush on earth mobs?
  • DiFiore - Heavens Tear
    DiFiore - Heavens Tear Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Why cant u use gush on earth mobs?

I think he means ONLY using gush.
  • shallot
    shallot Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Man, that was funny as heck. I love your attitude and style. You have to write it because you can't talk with your tongue that far into your cheek
  • Skyannie - Lost City
    edited February 2009
    Elayne may be the worst mage on the server (Edit: One of. I forgot about Danika and Kopty, sorry). He talks **** in horrible english (in local chat) and drops the gear that his guild wastes on him when we find his rice spots.

He is a robe mage with a pdef basis, who got rolled by our 88 werebeast 1 on 1, and dropped him the level 96 pdef cape (worth more than anything I've seen drop so far.)

Unlike Haiz, who at least understands that a Mage's job is to deal damage and then kite people when they realize he's there, Elayne just stands there and soaks the damage until she's dead.

Grinding all day without stopping =/= good player. Far from it.

SS or it didn't happen. It's really hard to tell when you're lying or being serious, since you have a habit of lying a lot. b:surrender Also, Elayne doesn't talk horrible English. o.O Although, that detail is trivial when it comes to gaming, but your main attempt is to belittle in a personal aspect, so I guess it works for your purpose. Moreover, if dropping is synonym of sucking, I've heard you've dropped quite a lot, a lot, and proof is inconsequential as you often don't have to provide any for people to believe you, right?

Edit: I won't say why, but your post reveals just how little you know about Elayne, lol, and how well you read my post, of course, since I was very specific about it.
    Their footprints on the sand, marked for times immemorial, serve as evidence of hope.
    And though my short legs could not keep up, my heart was always by their side. Conqueror.
  • Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear
    Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I have learnt,
    All classes are great and have advantages and disadvantages!
    Just wizards have way more disadvantages than most thats all everytime they level they get an extra disadvatnage lol
    We're MysticAve my name is not Dave
    (Poem in the making - Shall be epic)
  • Skyannie - Lost City
    edited February 2009
    I have learnt,
    All classes are great and have advantages and disadvantages!
    Just wizards have way more disadvantages than most thats all everytime they level they get an extra disadvatnage lol

Wrong on that last part, I believe mages shouldn't diss themselves until they've reached what has been repeated over and over to be the mage's level of usefulness. Level 60 is much too young to offer criticism on the whole of any class.
  • Starang - Lost City
    Starang - Lost City Posts: 460 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    What is with this certain persons lying ability all the time...
  • blooknight
    blooknight Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    lol at pandora who just recently dropped a hh90 to NON FACTORS.
    1st of all elayne havent drop any gear at all from a 88 wb.
    2nd pandora's description of truth is lies and lies are truth. (he lives in his own dreamworld)
    3nd elayne is white and speaks english good so wat lies
    4th mages suck
    5th i wanna marry u spirea
    6th pandora is a shameless sheman but id still marry u coz i like u (and i wanna see u naked! so hawt) b:chuckle
  • Mystify - Lost City
    Mystify - Lost City Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    spirea wrote: »
    Will of the Phoenix : closest we will get to having a phoenix 1 shot other people
    if some1 is close enough to use this ull get 1 shot the next second
    Force of will : buys you time to run away depending on skill level
    gives u 3 secs to curse some1 b4 beeing 1 shotted
    Black ice dragon : Charges up an ice dragon that has a 95% chance of getting interrupted
    the animation is like a signal to every1 that u want to be 1 shoted
    Mountain's Sieze : Closest thing we get to a stun
    too bad ppl have time to go for a smoke, drink their coffee and come back just in time to 1 shot u b4 the chanelling is over
    retired from archlord, rohan
  • Taurzo - Lost City
    Taurzo - Lost City Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Holy ****, this guide makes me regret being a wizard. I mean, we have it bad. No wonder it's so hard for me; I'm always getting busted up, stepped on, and killed. I can't handle more than one monster at a time otherwise I'm done for. This guide must speak the truth because it's not sugar coated, it's not "with time you'll be great", it's just like "MAGES SUCK" and I'm starting to believe it. LVLing is so difficult, our gear sucks, our stats suck, we've been jipped!
  • SilentToy - Lost City
    SilentToy - Lost City Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Holy ****, this guide makes me regret being a wizard. I mean, we have it bad. No wonder it's so hard for me; I'm always getting busted up, stepped on, and killed. I can't handle more than one monster at a time otherwise I'm done for. This guide must speak the truth because it's not sugar coated, it's not "with time you'll be great", it's just like "MAGES SUCK" and I'm starting to believe it. LVLing is so difficult, our gear sucks, our stats suck, we've been jipped!

Well, Thats because you totally suck. And it's not our fault that you bought **** equipment. Am I the only one that doesn't think that wizards suck?
  • Rundora - Lost City_1243871147
    Rundora - Lost City_1243871147 Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Wrong on that last part, I believe mages shouldn't diss themselves until they've reached what has been repeated over and over to be the mage's level of usefulness. Level 60 is much too young to offer criticism on the whole of any class.

Or to claim that clerics outdamage mages. b:shutup

Mysticlife supports the... FAC..
  • streaker
    streaker Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I concider lv 60 and below low level, 61-88 to be mid level, and 89+ to be high level, I will not deny Im a low lvl in my own mind when others tell me im a mid to high lv (56 atm) And i know wizards suck **** from the start, and become rediculasly strong at high lvls, its just a really long waiting game, but those sucky lvls give u time to practice manoviours (spelling) to become even greater at higher levels, which build is best at lv 100, ive got no freaking clue, im just assuming robes for demon and light armor for heaven, but dont quote me. For the ones who are pressed for time, or inpatient, or just lazy, should never even think of becoming a wizard, but for those who are patient, and have more then enough time, its something to concider, but that alone isnt the only need to become a good wizard, its a long road, but once you find the end, youll be amazing, and yes I know this sounds like a repetitive post, but I cant stress enough how **** we are from the start and how good we become in end game

P.S. I have never concidered the heaven light armor robes demon thing before this post, I was watching tv and when I went to proof read the post, I saw I typed that. lol. Any other imput on that? lmao
  • Skyannie - Lost City
    edited February 2009
    streaker wrote: »
    I concider lv 60 and below low level, 61-88 to be mid level, and 89+ to be high level, I will not deny Im a low lvl in my own mind when others tell me im a mid to high lv (56 atm) And i know wizards suck **** from the start, and become rediculasly strong at high lvls, its just a really long waiting game, but those sucky lvls give u time to practice manoviours (spelling) to become even greater at higher levels, which build is best at lv 100, ive got no freaking clue, im just assuming robes for demon and light armor for heaven, but dont quote me. For the ones who are pressed for time, or inpatient, or just lazy, should never even think of becoming a wizard, but for those who are patient, and have more then enough time, its something to concider, but that alone isnt the only need to become a good wizard, its a long road, but once you find the end, youll be amazing, and yes I know this sounds like a repetitive post, but I cant stress enough how **** we are from the start and how good we become in end game

P.S. I have never concidered the heaven light armor robes demon thing before this post, I was watching tv and when I went to proof read the post, I saw I typed that. lol. Any other imput on that? lmao

Robe, nuff said.

Edit: The reason why heaven mage shouldn't be light is simple, it's because heaven is a more TW oriented side. What guilds need in TW is raw damage, provided by int mages. This will be argued, with statements such as "there's not much difference", but I will say simply that there IS a difference, and saying otherwise is entering denial of the build chosen.
  • streaker
    edited February 2009
    The reason I think I said robes go hell is because of earth barrier, a demon earth barrier will probably be the equivlent of a regular light armor wizard without it. But I am still unsure, The 1 thing that would help me make my mind up would be 2 wizards, of the same lvl, and same weapon, 1 la, and 1 robe, with a lvl of 80+ hitting eachother 10 times, and get the avg dmg from both and compare, but it seems I'll never get that from anyone :( It would truly be the ultimate test for la vs robes for me, if the robe can hit 1k harder with the average dmg, i would accept robes as the better class for the rest of the game, ofc a couple alterations if the lvls of the wizards were different. And I say 80+ because I can factor in the dmg from 100+ fairly close if I put enough thought in to it.

In Short...... Someone PLEASE Run This Test For Me!

close in level, 1 la, 1 robe, same weapon, same spell, note any noteable factors.
  • Skyannie - Lost City
    edited February 2009
    The reason I think I said robes go hell is because of earth barrier, a demon earth barrier will probably be the equivlent of a regular light armor wizard without it. But I am still unsure, The 1 thing that would help me make my mind up would be 2 wizards, of the same lvl, and same weapon, 1 la, and 1 robe, with a lvl of 80+ hitting eachother 10 times, and get the avg dmg from both and compare, but it seems I'll never get that from anyone :( It would truly be the ultimate test for la vs robes for me, if the robe can hit 1k harder with the average dmg, i would accept robes as the better class for the rest of the game, ofc a couple alterations if the lvls of the wizards were different. And I say 80+ because I can factor in the dmg from 100+ fairly close if I put enough thought in to it.

In Short...... Someone PLEASE Run This Test For Me!

close in level, 1 la, 1 robe, same weapon, same spell, note any noteable factors.

Well, the p.def. difference won't really be that epic from 120% to 150%, so it's more of a detail. Actually, it would provide greater p.def. for light armors, but they're forgetting the essence of what a mage really is, and the fact that their new nemeses would be mages instead of EA's. Now, I believe that your suggestion is an adequate test to run, though, what I'm saying about int superiority comes from older versions of this game. This is not something that is new. The large amount of LA mages that are born in PWI come from the awfully convincing guide written by Pandora. Now, the average player will be evidently awed by the fact that melee mobs and players deal less damage, and their survivability will increase for this period. However, for the long run, yeah...
  • streaker
    edited February 2009
    thats why I think that robes would be better, after caclulating a wellspring quaff, manifest virtue combo at lv 150 using the rank 8 weapon, BIDS came out to 35k, not taking undine into account, or anything else, yes, I know the level and weapon are pushing it, but it will happen eventually... and a light armor would only deal about half of that under the same circumstances, sure, its still enough to 1 hit a barb easily... thats what makes me think, a la can still 1 shot anyone else, but so can a robe wizard...

you cut off your post just as you were about to explain robes being superior other then never needing a mp charm or pots, care to finish? :D
  • Skyannie - Lost City
    edited February 2009
    thats why I think that robes would be better, after caclulating a wellspring quaff, manifest virtue combo at lv 150 using the rank 8 weapon, BIDS came out to 35k, not taking undine into account, or anything else, yes, I know the level and weapon are pushing it, but it will happen eventually... and a light armor would only deal about half of that under the same circumstances, sure, its still enough to 1 hit a barb easily... thats what makes me think, a la can still 1 shot anyone else, but so can a robe wizard...

you cut off your post just as you were about to explain robes being superior other then never needing a mp charm or pots, care to finish? :D

Actually, on higher levels other people will also have higher resistances, so there will be less and less one-shots. It's highly improbable that the resists on those levels will allow those exorbitant damages, as calculated, since reduction needs to take place as well.

I'm glad you noticed I didn't finish, truth be told I was too tired to bother, and I still am, lol. I've had to say it too many times, and it's really the same simple reason. So yeah... with the mods of higher level armors and adequate upgrading, there is no need for light armor. As survivability increases, the argument of LA becomes invalid, and with robes, the purity of the damage, our sole purpose, is saved. About mp charms well, if you want to grind adequately you'll still need them, unless you're dedicated enough to spam MP pots, lol.
  • Calibix - Heavens Tear
    Calibix - Heavens Tear Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Actually, on higher levels other people will also have higher resistances, so there will be less and less one-shots. It's highly improbable that the resists on those levels will allow those exorbitant damages, as calculated, since reduction needs to take place as well.

I'm glad you noticed I didn't finish, truth be told I was too tired to bother, and I still am, lol. I've had to say it too many times, and it's really the same simple reason. So yeah... with the mods of higher level armors and adequate upgrading, there is no need for light armor. As survivability increases, the argument of LA becomes invalid, and with robes, the purity of the damage, our sole purpose, is saved. About mp charms well, if you want to grind adequately you'll still need them, unless you're dedicated enough to spam MP pots, lol.

Not so much dedicated, as dumb enough. Haven't actually done the math for potions pre-60, but using pots 60+, even if you only use them while medding is significantly more expensive than a gold mp charm bought at 400k.
  • streaker
    edited February 2009
    Sky, they might get higher resistance, but we gain a LOT more damage, more then enough to compete with their increasing resistance, manifest virtue with wellspring quaff gives an additional 50% atleast over a light armor doing the same, and with undine, its just giving us even more damage, lets say you have 14k magic attack at level 150, and 25k mana with wellspring quaff, thats an extra 250% added to that 14k, slap undine on them as well, and well... gg, lol. Sure, manafest may have a long **** cooldown, but you can just ult nuke an entire group easily to get your damage worth, and if your seen, you'll have the survivability to get away, and try again before manifest wears off, and with time to handle that player that just interupted you the first time.
    *Waits for the "Oh, you don't need all that damage to kill someone, so go light armor, you'll live longer."* Ok, well, when you've got robe users 1 hitting an archer with winged shell, and a light armor user has to crit to do that, our "sustained damage" becomes more reliable, we know what we're gonna hit for, and idc if they know too, even better imo. "Oh ****, they are just about to nuke my **** to oblivion and I'm too far to interupt" versus "Hmm, are they gonna crit? nah, probably not, I'll go attack them afterwards."
  • LostInfo - Sanctuary
    LostInfo - Sanctuary Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I run a wizard and a cleric.

I'v done same quests and areas with each one at the same level. With the cleric its easier to kill the mobs with the only two damage skills she has. Add to that the buffs, healing and etc and it's easier to see why the wizard is a cr*p class. Frankly it doesn't do enough damage to compensate for the damage it takes.

I know some players will deride this and say the build's all wrong you're a noob etc. Bullsh*t. I don't even have to think about the build for my cleric, baldemaster or warrior, and they still do better than my wizard. The class is underpowered, full stop.

To play a wizard is to suck - big time.
  • streaker
    edited February 2009
    Coming from such a low level. What part of wizards suck at low levels, and the tables turn at higher levels don't you understand?
  • VonTerror - Lost City
    VonTerror - Lost City Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Not so much dedicated, as dumb enough. Haven't actually done the math for potions pre-60, but using pots 60+, even if you only use them while medding is significantly more expensive than a gold mp charm bought at 400k.

I very rarely buy pots and only charms i get are for TW/PK, you don't need them if you are patient, and by patient i mean taking one minute every 15-20 mobs to regen. If i didn't TW/PK a charm would be a whole lot more expensive then using pots.
    b:bye
  • Skyannie - Lost City
    edited February 2009
    *Waits for the "Oh, you don't need all that damage to kill someone, so go light armor, you'll live longer."*

Dun attack me. b:surrender I'm on your side... lol. If you haven't noticed I'm arguing that robe is the better path.
  • streaker
    edited February 2009
    Lol, I know sky. ^_^

And that is also the path I'm taking, I was waiting for that comment you quoted to come from a pandora supporter or something. Im not saying LA is a bad build, its actually quite good, but I think robes have more potential then most of us are lead to think, I'm convinced that robes > light armor at 90+ Sorry if it seemed like an attack sky b:mischievous
  • Skyannie - Lost City
    edited February 2009
    Lol, I know sky. ^_^

And that is also the path I'm taking, I was waiting for that comment you quoted to come from a pandora supporter or something. Im not saying LA is a bad build, its actually quite good, but I think robes have more potential then most of us are lead to think, I'm convinced that robes > light armor at 90+ Sorry if it seemed like an attack sky b:mischievous

Pandora's guide was stickied, awarding it with all the credibility a new player would need to believe it, even though it's filled with rude remarks and demeaning statements. Because of that, almost every mage is LA, though, this just makes them so much easier to defeat for those of us who know better... and np. XD
  • Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear
    Mysticlifex - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Do the half decent thing please you high level wizards you know you suck, save these lower levels the pain and time of creating a failure class.
    Wizards... are a joke nothing more.
    I have seen countless times wizards say to others that that a powerhouses or what ever but can you actually prove it lol?
    Give me 1 reason Mages are not a Failure class
    We're MysticAve my name is not Dave
    (Poem in the making - Shall be epic)
  • Skyannie - Lost City
    edited February 2009
    Do the half decent thing please you high level wizards you know you suck, save these lower levels the pain and time of creating a failure class.
    Wizards... are a joke nothing more.
    I have seen countless times wizards say to others that that a powerhouses or what ever but can you actually prove it lol?
    Give me 1 reason Mages are not a Failure class

Haiz's screen shot in another thread clearly shows how his MAGE aoe skill dealt roughly 14k to more than 5 people, dragoned, but 10k without it anyway, sparked of course. Even then, so to say, he killed every other class with one spell. Even more, Elayne has a higher level skill of that same spell now that he's level 99, so, do the math on that.

So to respond to that... just because you haven't reached it, doesn't mean it's not so, it just means you didn't try hard enough. Because of that, you have no reason to insult mages, other than self loathing. It's been explained countless times, mages are late bloomers, they shine after level 90.
This discussion has been closed.