All-Server Chit Chat Thread

Comments

• Sister_Warui - Raging Tide
    Sister_Warui - Raging Tide Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, it functions like a tense, but it's not a real one in that it doesn't take a separate verb form. English really only has two tenses: past and not-the-past.

To imply future activity, we use the axillary verb "will" (as in German).

Eng: I thought - I think - I will think

Note that "future" is the same as present, because in English we only have past and not-the-past.

Spanish: Pense' - Pienso - Pensare'

Separate verb forms for each of the three tenses.

Who is teaching you English?

To answer the last one first: No one is really teaching me. My roommate helps greatly from time to time (My husband and I are living with an American who goes o the same college my husband is attending). She helps me sound a bit more natural which is nice but I am missing out on more technical things like you are describing.

as a separate question (not that I am disagreeing with you in ANY way but...I just want to know) what about some words like: Happened - Happening - Happens? is it only for some words? is Happens somehow not future tense? Most of this is self taught so mehh~ This is what I get for trying to learn multiple languages at once. I really need to spend more time identifying things like this on my own time. I have been slacking to be honest.

@Desdi no no hun I like you :P even if you do beat me up for not counting...(On the counting thread which I should anyway but shhhhh)
    Perfect Signature made by Silvy![SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RandomSin: Horu your wife is a murderer.
    Horugou: I know, Isn't it great? :D
    Reroll closed thread because necros suck. -Kossy
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To answer the last one first: No one is really teaching me. My roommate helps greatly from time to time (My husband and I are living with an American who goes o the same college my husband is attending). She helps me sound a bit more natural which is nice but I am missing out on more technical things like you are describing.

as a separate question (not that I am disagreeing with you in ANY way but...I just want to know) what about some words like: Happened - Happening - Happens? is it only for some words? is Happens somehow not future tense? Most of this is self taught so mehh~ This is what I get for trying to learn multiple languages at once. I really need to spend more time identifying things like this on my own time. I have been slacking to be honest.

That's regular present tense. It isn't a future tense. "to happen" (infinitive) --> S/he/it happens. How would you use it to imply future events?

Happened is simple past
    Happening is a present participle
    Happens is present

Unrelated: You really ought to consider using a different color on the forum. It's not possible to read your posts without highlighting them.
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
    edited May 2013
    That's regular present tense. It isn't a future tense. "to happen" (infinitive) --> S/he/it happens. How would you use it to imply future events?

Happened is simple past
    Happening is a present participle
    Happens is present

Unrelated: You really ought to consider using a different color on the forum. It's not possible to read your posts without highlighting them.

*blinks* really? I read them just fine on mine and my phone...But maybe I can go lighter neh? Still purple at any cost :P

and I see/understand what you are saying now. Thank you for helping me clarify! <3 it does help a lot. I really cannot afford to make mistakes like that when translating so I am glad you tell me now :3
    How I would use to imply future events - "I hope more PWI advertising happens" ...Or is that not proper grammar? "I hope more PWI advertising will happen" is better? If it is NOT proper grammar I hear sentences being said like this quite frequently. Even by college students. Again not that I am disagreeing. Simply wondering :)

• ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 6,695 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Spoken American English is a lot less formal than written English. Most college students will not write things the same way they speak them, even if they do know proper grammar. It's comes off a bit condescending, formal, and stuffy to do so because a lot of Americans don't know how to write. And actually most colleges require you to take at least one writing course because of that fact. ^_^;

And that sentence comes off strange either way, I'd probably say something more like

"I hope PWI increases it's advertising." or "I hope PWI will advertise more."

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Veneir - Dreamweaver
    Veneir - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,541 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Spoken American English is a lot less formal than written English. Most college students will not write things the same way they speak them, even if they do know proper grammar. It's comes off a bit condescending, formal, and stuffy to do so because a lot of Americans don't know how to write. And actually most colleges require you to take at least one writing course because of that fact. ^_^;

And that sentence comes off strange either way, I'd probably say something more like

"I hope PWI increases it's advertising." or "I hope PWI will advertise more."

I remember when I had placement testing to go into classes, and in order to not be put into a writing class [since having one was the default requirement], I had to test out of it (which I did). (That sentence feels so choppy....) I think that the person in charge of analyzing test results at the time said that most persons tested out of writing classes, though.
    I speak very much how I write... which is why my grandmother adores speaking with me, when she does, aha~

And, well, your(Venu) sentences feel more like the attention is on PWI than the advertising. [I could probabily just say 'subject', but I feel ever so self-conscious about grammar nitpicky abiiities whenever it is the subject at-paw, so am not really confident in using a bunch of 'terminology' words, aha.] Akin, I think more of the company doing something when seeing your statement, and think of of seeing actual advertisements at Warui's statements, and am much more interested in the latter than the former. (Although I'd really rather not see advertisements at all, seeing as I have them blocked, anyway. I don't even remember what they look like/what it's like to see them, it's been that way for years. 'x3)

Edit:: Oh! I forgot to comment on this.
    I have to have Warui's posts positioned on the top of my screen in order to read them; my screen has bad viewing angles, so the contrast is different at the bottom/less optimal.
    "Clearly, the only logical option is Squid." -Decus <コ:彡 <コ:彡
    I'm helplessly needless, and needless to say I owe you | Well I'd pull, teeter away, at the earth with my teeth, to touch your face alive | You lie, helplessly still | As your face falls apart | Well I can make your face brand new | Come take my hand and I'll take your hand | And I will pull you out | Into the sun.
    First fell into an army of noob mobs on 19/3/2009~ Upside-down fox and old-colour squid <┻┻~ [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ovenusarmanio
    edited May 2013

I remember when I had placement testing to go into classes, and in order to not be put into a writing class [since having one was the default requirement], I had to test out of it (which I did). (That sentence feels so choppy....) I think that the person in charge of analyzing test results at the time said that most persons tested out of writing classes, though.
    I speak very much how I write... which is why my grandmother adores speaking with me, when she does, aha~

And, well, your(Venu) sentences feel more like the attention is on PWI than the advertising. [I could probabily just say 'subject', but I feel ever so self-conscious about grammar nitpicky abiiities whenever it is the subject at-paw, so am not really confident in using a bunch of 'terminology' words, aha.] Akin, I think more of the company doing something when seeing your statement, and think of of seeing actual advertisements at Warui's statements, and am much more interested in the latter than the former. (Although I'd really rather not see advertisements at all, seeing as I have them blocked, anyway. I don't even remember what they look like/what it's like to see them, it's been that way for years. 'x3)

Oh yup woops, but easily fixed.

"I hope there will be more pwi advertisements." Now the focus is more properly the ads and not PWI. The other one, well "advertise" is the verb so it can't just be jammed into the subject. Mmm, not vey many people tested out of writing at my University, but I did because I got a perfect score on the Advanced Placement English exams. Which I kinda wish hadn't tested me out of it because I feel like the college stuff was so much harder than the high school, advanced placement or not. And I could have got a lot out of the writing portion. I don't think I'm vey good at grammar. I know my use of commas is a bit all over the place. xD I was mostly pointing out that happens is the wrong word there, and more agreeing with Decus in that in English we don't really have verbs that become all future tense. You instead use other future words like "hope" or "will" to convey the meaning that it hasn't happened yet, rather than a future tense.

• Decus - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2013
    *blinks* really? I read them just fine on mine and my phone...But maybe I can go lighter neh? Still purple at any cost :P

and I see/understand what you are saying now. Thank you for helping me clarify! <3 it does help a lot. I really cannot afford to make mistakes like that when translating so I am glad you tell me now :3
    How I would use to imply future events - "I hope more PWI advertising happens" ...Or is that not proper grammar? "I hope more PWI advertising will happen" is better? If it is NOT proper grammar I hear sentences being said like this quite frequently. Even by college students. Again not that I am disagreeing. Simply wondering :)

Most people speak and write horribly. I've graded many an undergrad (college-level) paper that is atrocious. An easy way to combat bad writing/speaking is to just read more. Your diction improves, as does your usage. I am happy to help. Linguistics is one of my passions, because I am a loser and don't get out much.

As several others said, both of those sentences are just worded poorly. I don't mean that to be offensive, so please don't take it that way. I just am looking at it from a syntactic view. It sounds like something you'd say, and you never want your writing to sound like something you'd say. It does seem contrary and weird, but it is just the way most "good" writers approach writing. The difference between a "good" speaker and a "bad" speaker (in grammatical terms, I am not referring to public speaking) is their command of the idiosyncrasies of the language.

If you'll forgive my somewhat unrelated tangent... A thing I really enjoy about English is the subtle shades of meaning implied by various verb tenses and nous. English takes a great deal from many languages, and is that much richer for it. A common example I like to cite is the subtle difference between "to stay" and "to remain."
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
    edited May 2013
    just read more. Your diction improves, as does your usage. I am happy to help. Linguistics is one of my passions, because I am a loser and don't get out much.
    Haha on the last part we agree. It is not only a passion of mine but one I was lucky enough to be able to turn into a profession. And I am the same way with never getting out XD my closet of dresses ALONE is more than the entire collection of my husband and Ashley entire wardrobe combined... The only time I go out is going to gym and meetings.
    As several others said, both of those sentences are just worded poorly. I don't mean that to be offensive, so please don't take it that way. I just am looking at it from a syntactic view. It sounds like something you'd say, and you never want your writing to sound like something you'd say. It does seem contrary and weird, but it is just the way most "good" writers approach writing. offended? Not a chance. I appreciate the help actually. It is not an excuse mostly but I feel like my main problems are a lack of an actual teacher/textbook this time around. Every other language I have learned I utilized both. This one is proving difficult without them. My next biggest one is that the vast majority of what I translate is speaking. Seeing as I translate comics or things meant to function like comics... My point is that the writing to me has to have the fine balance of sounding like spoken language and still being mostly proper. I am aware I will have to learn it properly first to be effective at that however :p which is why this is a huge help to me :3
    If you'll forgive my somewhat unrelated tangent...
    all is forgiven. This is the chit chat section of off topic after all. Your viewpoints and tangents are wanted silly! :)
    responses in the new pretty Purple.

• Zheii - Archosaur
    Zheii - Archosaur Posts: 2,732 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    *grows a tail and ears*
    Meow o3o

YAY I CAN SPEAKS ENGRISH TOO AM I DOIN IT RIGHT YEA?!

xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Queen of Silly, circa 2014, as conferred by the late great Proski Wallace.
    edited May 2013
    *grows a tail and ears*
    Meow o3o

YAY I CAN SPEAKS ENGRISH TOO AM I DOIN IT RIGHT YEA?!

xD

caps lock. Caps lock everywhere D:
    Also you never had ears before?! I am sorry.

• Zheii - Archosaur
    edited May 2013
    caps lock. Caps lock everywhere D:
    Also you never had ears before?! I am sorry.

Gah lmao, I should have said "Kitty Ears" My Bad. xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Gah lmao, I should have said "Kitty Ears" My Bad. xD

I wanted the kitty Ears! Why did I have to be born a fish with opposable thumbs?! D:

• Zheii - Archosaur
    edited May 2013
    I wanted the kitty Ears! Why did I have to be born a fish with opposable thumbs?! D:

KITTY EARS ARE THE BESSTTT!
    When I first played PWI I started as a veno, still have her somewhere.. Think she may be on Sanct or HT, can't remember.. '-' She was called "Thorns" still can't believe I have that name lol <.<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    KITTY EARS ARE THE BESSTTT!
    When I first played PWI I started as a veno, still have her somewhere.. Think she may be on Sanct or HT, can't remember.. '-' She was called "Thorns" still can't believe I have that name lol <.<

:p I have no idea what made me decide to name my character with a 'sister' in front. People sometimes make the joke about me being in a covent or something and I am just like -.- not how I meant it.

• Zheii - Archosaur
    edited May 2013
    :p I have no idea what made me decide to name my character with a 'sister' in front. People sometimes make the joke about me being in a covent or something and I am just like -.- not how I meant it.

Hahaha, it's cute! :3
    Well Idk why I named my toon 'Zheii' I just put a bunch of letters together that looked cool and went; "okay that'll do o_o."
    Wasn't until he other week that someone told me that it means thief in Chinese. (apparently)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2013

Wasn't until he other week that someone told me that it means thief in Chinese. (apparently)

Spelled a bit differently, but yes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Spelled a bit differently, but yes.

you know Chinese? O.O
    And I thought you knew that Zheii XD maybe you sub consciously are fluent in Chinese! Go you!

• Zheii - Archosaur
    edited May 2013
    you know Chinese? O.O
    And I thought you knew that Zheii XD maybe you sub consciously are fluent in Chinese! Go you!

Hahaha, that would be awesome, bout I doubt it XD
    I honestly had no clue though... just chance I guess o,o'
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Hahaha, that would be awesome, bout I doubt it XD
    I honestly had no clue though... just chance I guess o,o'

XD Is okay. I like the name for you anyway. I feel like every time I meet people from PWI in real life I get all confused for a bit and keep calling them by their in game name XD I am just so used to calling people those names it is who I associate the personality with >.> I am hopeless.

• ovenusarmanio
    edited May 2013
    Poll: Quesadillas or Grilled Cheese

Which is better?

• Veneir - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2013
    XD Is okay. I like the name for you anyway. I feel like every time I meet people from PWI in real life I get all confused for a bit and keep calling them by their in game name XD I am just so used to calling people those names it is who I associate the personality with >.> I am hopeless.

I choose to do that :3 Or so, if I know someone and call them something, I won't suddenily change what I call them if I find out what their 'actual' name is (unless they really want me to, or I hadn't been using the other name for too long for whatever reason/so the new name feels it fits better, or I'm complaining to them, or etc~). That seems a little silly to me, really...
    Poll: Quesadillas or Grilled Cheese

Which is better?

And, well, Venu, it depends on what's in each, and how each was made, I guess. Something can have a multitude of different ingredents, and still be a Quesadilla, and of course [to me] something with cheeses and vegetables and [insert a bunch of other possible things here] and a not-burnt tortilla is going to generally taste better than just cheese melted inbetween [regular] bread (I'm not really a fan of most regular store-bought loaf breads). But if you have a really good quality bread(aka/generally artisans bread~), some fancy cheese/white cheese (extra points if it qualifies as both!)/some sort of not-really-processed/whatever cheese, and put mushrooms or some sort of vegetable thing in it, grilled cheese can likewise surpass an 'ordinary' not ingredient pampered Quesadilla in which-tastes-better-level...but if you put anything in a grilled cheese sandwhich other than cheese, does it even qualify as being a grilled cheese anymore? And is that even a reasonable expectation for a grilled cheese? Ahhh. I my idea/expectation/exposure of grilled cheeses are much lower than the expectation for Quesadillas so it makes this question difficult to be fair to both of them.

Bknalknsd aka so it depends on the ingredients and the quality of said ingredients annnnd. But for the sake of your poll I'd probabily much more often find a Quesadilla that looked edible based on what I like, than a grilled cheese that looked equally good.
    I'm helplessly needless, and needless to say I owe you | Well I'd pull, teeter away, at the earth with my teeth, to touch your face alive | You lie, helplessly still | As your face falls apart | Well I can make your face brand new | Come take my hand and I'll take your hand | And I will pull you out | Into the sun.
    First fell into an army of noob mobs on 19/3/2009~ Upside-down fox and old-colour squid <┻┻~ [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    Zanryu - Dreamweaver Posts: 7,261 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Burgers trump both. b:dirty
  • Veneir - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2013
    Burgers trump both. b:dirty

Beef is gross x3!
    I've had some wonderful tasting veggie burgers, though.
  • ovenusarmanio
    edited May 2013
    I didn't realize how complicated the question was to some people. xD And burgers were not a part of the question. b:angry

As for me, I tend to call ppl what I know them by regardless if they make a new character or not. In my faction on Heaven's Tear, when picking a nick for fac chat I also asked to be called Venus. It's actually been years since I seriously played my cleric, she isn't even on the same server, and I have no toons by that name in faction. But I'm still best known as Venus (thanks to the forums), and so Venus I shall stay.

• Veneir - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2013
    I didn't realize how complicated the question was to some people. xD And burgers were not a part of the question. b:angry

Hehe x3
    It's food! Food can be very different!
    Quesadilla does not always equal cheese crisp, afterall x3 I mean it looked sort of like that's what you meant, but there were so many possibilities to look into~
  • Zanryu - Dreamweaver
    Zanryu - Dreamweaver Posts: 7,261 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Burgers are always a part of the question. Burgers are love. Burgers are life.
  • ovenusarmanio
    edited May 2013

Hehe x3
    It's food! Food can be very different!
    Quesadilla does not always equal cheese crisp, afterall x3 I mean it looked sort of like that's what you meant, but there were so many possibilities to look into~

Yeah I just mean an equal cheese vs cheese scenario, I think that obviously a chicken quesadilla with super expensive cheese and sauce a la fancy to dip it in or whatever would obviously taste better than grilled cheese made on an ironing board. xD Since at their simplest they are both bread and melted cheese sandwhiches.

Burgers are good, but ordering them is stressful. v.v And they don't exactly compare well to grilled cheese sandwhiches. It's apples and oranges!

• Veneir - Dreamweaver
    edited May 2013

Blasphemy! :3
    As for me, I tend to call ppl what I know them by regardless if they make a new character or not. In my faction on Heaven's Tear, when picking a nick for fac chat I also asked to be called Venus. It's actually been years since I seriously played my cleric, she isn't even on the same server, and I have no toons by that name in faction. But I'm still best known as Venus (thanks to the forums), and so Venus I shall stay.
    Same~.
    The first people I think of are Levvy and Decus :3
    You'd think I'd think of Havie (Valiant faction leader) who has like 756675 characters and he's the basis of our jokes about Hav-syndrome=having too many characters...
    Yeah I just mean an equal cheese vs cheese scenario, I think that obviously a chicken quesadilla with super expensive cheese and sauce a la fancy to dip it in or whatever would obviously taste better than grilled cheese made on an ironing board. xD Since at their simplest they are both bread and melted cheese sandwhiches.

Burgers are good, but ordering them is stressful. v.v And they don't exactly compare well to grilled cheese sandwhiches. It's apples and oranges!

D'awh I see. And yeah I suppose that's true~
    Well there go my pepperjack grilled cheeses with mushrooms on wheat... >: Well I mean just the mushrooms, anyway.
    Just cheese, eum.. well then it depends on the tortilla and/or bread quality and if you burnt it or not D:
    I've never had a tortilla that was better than artisan bread, though... but then again, I've never had a home-made tortilla D: Ahhhhhh!
    Foods 'x3
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can I just say neither? D:
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
    edited May 2013
    Quessadilla. I think they are a little better...you can taste a little more of the bread imo and it works so well with regular cheeses (although my regular cheese is shredded pepper jack...)