The Real Cost of Catshopping

Comments

• UmbraLupis - Heavens Tear
    UmbraLupis - Heavens Tear Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    The dihydrogen monoxide hoax involves the use of an unfamiliar name for water, then listing some negative effects of water, then asking individuals to help control the seemingly dangerous substance. The hoax is designed to illustrate how the lack of scientific literacy and an exaggerated analysis can lead to misplaced fears.[1] "Dihydrogen monoxide", shortened to "DHMO", is a name for water that is consistent with chemical nomenclature, but that is almost never used.b:angryb:angry

Ugh, wow, what a buzzkill. H2O- Di(2) HYDROGEN mON(1)OXIDE- it's a JOKE (not a hoax *eye roll*) for those chemically inclined :sad
    It usually serves really well to seperate the knowledgeable from the people who have no idea what they're talking about,. The normal people either inquire or avoid the situation. The some people get it, some people pretend to get it. overall, for those of us who DO get it, it's funny to watch others flounder around and pretend to get it. So, remember, either you're part of the solution, or you're part of the precipitate.
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Quit informing teh general human public.
    b:surrender
    you is confoosing and scaring me test subjects.
    (>.<)
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _azazel_ - Lost City
    _azazel_ - Lost City Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    To avoid a wall of text rant, I'll just go with: tweakz wins.

Well, "anti environment religious propaganda" kinda lost me as I don't see how not shaking in my boots at the mention of global warming has anything to do with religion... but still, solid post.

btw- both of my computers are always on, and I hardly cat shop. I also eat animals (only the tasty ones, don't worry) and drive an SUV.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Astypoo~

what you're assuming is that people will leave their computers off if they don't use Cat shop. they could be playing music, playing another game, downloading pron, trying to photoshop nipples to their shining feather glitch, or doing some type of work on their computer while their Cat shop is open.

either way, people can still be using their computers
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    My post never even addressed the wasted bandwidth of the server sending updates to afk clients.

I should add that >O
    Don't forget to include all the computer time wasted reading and replying to forum topics.
  • PartyAnimal - Harshlands
    PartyAnimal - Harshlands Posts: 693 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Astypoo~

what you're assuming is that people will leave their computers off if they don't use Cat shop. they could be playing music, playing another game, downloading pron, trying to photoshop nipples to their shining feather glitch, or doing some type of work on their computer while their Cat shop is open.

either way, people can still be using their computers

b:laugh
  • Hakiii - Heavens Tear
    Hakiii - Heavens Tear Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    This is kind of like the whole vegan/vegetarian thing...
    It's not actually changing anything...it's just a personal choice, but people are still gonna keep on eaten and making burgers. Shouldn't expect it to change...

Just like people are always going to be using their computer somewhere at sometime, PW or no PW...it's kind of pointless, even without PW there's 50 other games doing the same thing, and in the end it made no difference...
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    Baalbak - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,624 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    *cough LOST reference cough*
    yeah, I just watched the season 7 finale

but on topic.. I leave my cat shop up some nights so that I can actually earn a decent income. NPC sales will hardly cover skills, pots, shards, etc.. The AH is of course an alternative - but most times stuff doesnt sell in there even if I put it up for less than the cheapest cat shop. Likely because theres 100s of pages of the same stuff in there. The AH needs a major reworking IMO. First off I'll start with the obvious - it needs a keyword search. This should not be hard at all for the dev's to implement. there is already an auction number search - but what the hell good does it do? You would have to know in advance what the item was that matched that number. Odds are, if you know that - you are either the seller (and thus can see it in "my sales") or you know the seller, and thus can just say "hey - I'll give you X amount for that" and be done with the deal. Moving along... there needs to be some sort of sorting option implemented to allow users to click on the price column and sort by lowest to highest price rather than searching through several pages to find the best deal. I mean come on - even the gold trading lets you see what the highest and lowest bids are very easily.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • _azazel_ - Lost City
    _azazel_ - Lost City Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    This is kind of like the whole vegan/vegetarian thing...
    It's not actually changing anything...it's just a personal choice, but people are still gonna keep on eaten and making burgers. Shouldn't expect it to change...

Just like people are always going to be using there computer somewhere at sometime, PW or no PW...it's kind of pointless, even without PW there's 50 other games doing the same thing, and in the end it made no difference...

Hahaha, reminds me off the gas "boycott" a while ago. People refusing to buy gas on a certain day, as protest. Always lost me as to how this was supposed to effect the oil companies...."We'll buy gas tomorrow instead, THAT will show them!"
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Perhaps catshops could be made obsolete by a cash shop item that allows you to setup a stall without having your computer on.

While this would help the environment, it would increase the number of stalls in Archosaur.

I think you should rent space to put up a stall (either a Boutique item or pay NPC directly). This *should* encourage use of the AH. However, this would probably increase wealth condensation even more.
  • TabbyKitty - Dreamweaver
    TabbyKitty - Dreamweaver Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    me are confoosed though........
    why don't people convert to solar energy?
    we managed to get 80% energy input from our current systems. (unlike teh pathetic 5 to less then 20% input you guys get so far...)
    it can be done.
    of course me can't help you guys.
    (>.<)'
    but....ya....
    why you got to burn up our remains?

magic mon ami the reason why we dont switch to solar energy is because of its low effencicy rate(yea yea i know my spell check is broken atm). if i remeber correctly the rate of production from one solor cell is like 17-20% while the rest is just purely heat. also i forget the exact number but it takes a hella lot of solor panals just to power one house and not the mention all the equipment it takes to do it. my opinion is that nuclear/hydro alternatives are the best way to go. natural resources for it is plentiful and the efficency rate is extremly high.

btw party animal where the hell u getting them pics that some funny stuff.

AND finally has for this here post all i have to say is.....wth u be on to come up with this? gimmie some of it then maybe ill make straight A's in school :o
    Meh toons:
    cookieninja-BM-sanctuary-retired
    cookieninja-BM-dreamweaver-Storage
    TabbyKitty-Venomancer-Dreamweaver-main
    IHealYou-Cleric-Dreamweaver-main alt
    Tricannon-Archer-Dreamweaver-alt when bored out of my mind
  • Barbariankev - Heavens Tear
    Barbariankev - Heavens Tear Posts: 831 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    i had a similair idea some time ago but i didnt really speak about the effects on the enviroment
    in my opinion catshops should just be banned from the game and the ah improved so we have less lag in west arch and less reason to go afk and thus consuming less bandwith
    its impossible to always do the right thing we all make mistakes i am not different from that
    just try to be a good person

english isn't my native language so there might be a few spelling/grammatical errors in my posts
  • Magicsaber - Dreamweaver
    Magicsaber - Dreamweaver Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I can say, that this idea (about eliminating Catshops) is idea only, it can't be realized because developers are against it.

Yes, exist auction.
    Yes, it is really universal and better than thousands of Catshops, but ...

What we can do - use Auction to sell items.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Asurr - Heavens Tear
    Asurr - Heavens Tear Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited December 2009

That's how many AFK catshops I just counted in Arch at the time of this posting in Sanctuary. 397 computers left on to idle without any direct use by people.

Let's assume each of these computers is consuming a modest 100W (the same as two light bulbs). That's 6,670 kWh every week (over $800 USD of electricty) going to these cat shops. That is just absurd.

Imagine if we could save that.

- We would save enough energy to power 52 homes.
    - We would prevent 3.97 tons of weekly carbon dioxide emissions
    - We would have the equivalent carbon offset of planting 20,384 trees (enough trees to cover 34 acres of rainforest)

These numbers are for Sanctuary alone.

The benefit of eliminating cat shops is real. The question now is how to go about doing it.

If catshops were eliminated entirely tomorrow what would happen? People would complain at first for sure but I think they would adapt quickly to use the AH and trade chat.

Perhaps catshops could be made obsolete by a cash shop item that allows you to setup a stall without having your computer on.

I admit I don't have the answer but I see the problem.

-Ast

that doesnt make sense. even if u assume ppl will actually turn off there comps if there not in a cat shop (which im sure they will not cuz they will have it on for other activities or even leave it on for another afk shop in another game) then u still have to account for other energy wasting things ppl leave on. like lamps/tv/lights in there house, chargers for there various mp3/phones, etc etc. theres so many ppl that leave there comps on 24/7 even when there not playing a MMO.

and no offense but u must be one bored **** dude/gal to go around counting all the shops in arch o-o
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited December 2009

That's how many AFK catshops I just counted in Arch at the time of this posting in Sanctuary. 397 computers left on to idle without any direct use by people.

Let's assume each of these computers is consuming a modest 100W (the same as two light bulbs). That's 6,670 kWh every week (over $800 USD of electricty) going to these cat shops. That is just absurd.

- We would have the equivalent carbon offset of planting 20,384 trees (enough trees to cover 34 acres of rainforest)

The benefit of eliminating cat shops is real. The question now is how to go about doing it.

If catshops were eliminated entirely tomorrow what would happen? People would complain at first for sure but I think they would adapt quickly to use the AH and trade chat.

-Ast

For the last week I've been borrowing 47 computers at my school, running them 24/7 to render a 3d scene I created (it will take another 2.5 weeks to finish). This uses more power than leaving PW idle does (and higher end computers than the average computer playing PW I would bet). At a modest double power consumption of the ones in your scenario (they're using 1000w power supplies), I can proudly say my carbon footprint is that of a small country. Just think, all that and I'm not even good at what I do.

And just to add it in, my area is powered 100% by coal.

And for anyone that wants to eliminate catshops, turn to the AH, just realize that if you get a profit margin of say 25%, with the AH fee you're going to drop to around 20% or so due to the 5% and listing fees (around 79% of total profits eaten). More like 33% if you get a margin of 15%.
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I agree with the OP, what is more, I suggest even stricker reductions on CO2, starting with the need for people to stop breathing.

A human at rest consumes 0.01 CFM of Oxygen, while exhaling 0.0075 CFM of carbon dioxide.
    A human during moderate exercise consumes 0.07 CFM of oxygen and exhales 0.063 CFM of carbon dioxide.
    Since, on average, one is at rest 33% of the day and active 67% of the day, one would consume a weighted average of 0.05 CFM of oxygen, and exhale a weighted average of 0.045 CFM of carbon dioxide.
    The density of carbon dioxide at STP is 0.083 lbs/CuFt. There are 525,600 minutes in a year. This means that the average person will exhale 1,963 lbs of carbon dioxide per year. That is 0.98 tons of carbon dioxide per year, per person.

A mature tree can absorb and store 13 pounds of CO2 per year, so in order for a human being to be carbon neutral just from breathing it would have to plant 151 tree.

Is your breathing Carbon Neutral?
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Bai_Qi - Heavens Tear
    Bai_Qi - Heavens Tear Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    To selling items in auction I agree, i have seen just about everything in there and I check daily. The good thing on that, is that u wont have Idiots selling items at twice the amount as the guy behind him. I saw, and left a msg., for a Idiot who was selling an item for "XXX" amount of money, and directly behind him, a catshop was selling the same thing for twice the amount. Now why in the world would u not look around before dropping shop? I saw him drop the shop and checked him out. I then left the msg., "Hey Stupid"-Break I just bought that-Break- For this much! He said "Good for u", and kept trying to sell it. We need to ban the hell out of Catshops!
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2009
    Just think, using the OP's numbers, 3.97 tons a week, over 52 weeks is 206.44 tons a year. With 397 people that's .52 tons per person per year for a catshop. Clearly the solution to west arch lag is to just force everyone that wants a catshop to stop breathing. It would cut the CO2 emissions being compared in half, and remove .0000000593% (397/6,692,030,277) of CO2 output in the world (ignoring all non man made CO2)

That or we could just directly kill them all, for the environment you know.
    edited December 2009
    Just think, using the OP's numbers, 3.97 tons a week, over 52 weeks is 206.44 tons a year. With 397 people that's .52 tons per person per year for a catshop. Clearly the solution to west arch lag is to just force everyone that wants a catshop to stop breathing. It would cut the CO2 emissions being compared in half, and remove .0000000593% (397/6,692,030,277) of CO2 output in the world (ignoring all non man made CO2)

You could also force them to plant 76 trees before they can set up a catshop..... or a combination of reduced breathing and tree planting.
    Obviously any sort of exercise would be forbiden, since that also increases CO2 production. The goal is to spend more time resting and less time active, for the sake of the environment.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2009
    But you're not accounting for the transportation of the small trees, or the time it takes for them to grow.

How about forced donation of a lung? It would boost medical supplies, half the CO2 exhaled, help out the economy by increasing organ sales, and the player giving/selling the lung could even use the money they get from it on PW, eliminating the need for running a cat shop to get coin in the first place.
  • Magicsaber - Dreamweaver
    Magicsaber - Dreamweaver Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    You could also force them to plant 76 trees before they can set up a catshop..... or a combination of reduced breathing and tree planting.

Oooo, NumberOfServers*(Owners of 397+ catshops) are against it.

Everyone of them get games' profit from it.

Edit: against eliminating Catshops.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2009
    But you're not accounting for the transportation of the small trees, or the time it takes for them to grow.

How about forced donation of a lung? It would boost medical supplies, half the CO2 exhaled, help out the economy by increasing organ sales, and the player giving/selling the lung could even use the money they get from it on PW, eliminating the need for running a cat shop to get coin in the first place.

unfortunatly I did not take into account the carbon footprint of planting those trees... I guess we should at least double the number of trees needed and recommend people use only local trees.
    I believe the 13 pounds is averaged over the life of a tree.
    Oooo, NumberOfServers*(Owners of 397+ catshops) are against it.

Everyone of them get games' profit from it.

PW could make a "Carbon Neutral" Cash Shop token, that catshops could buy for the cost of planting those 76 trees (or 151 under revised numbers taking into account the carbon footprint of planting the trees themselves). So for lets say 500 gold per year someone could have a Eco-friendly catshop. That way PW would make money out of it as well.
  • ATHAXIS - Sanctuary
    ATHAXIS - Sanctuary Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    i dont care...! i have 1 life!! so i do wot i want i dont care about earth future! i dont care about my kids cuz i wont have i dont care about nothing
    i care just about me !! and im pretty sure if i let mah pc all day on i wont distroy the next day..!!b:victoryb:victoryb:victoryb:victory so I DONT CARE!
    I DONT CARE!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]b:cutemy xmas list!
    1.some powerfull weap. 4 my assasin and armors
    2.some verry extra mega giga rare wings 4 my assasin
    3.assasin clothes 4 my assasin
    4.1 tome +45 vit
    5.a nightfall mount
    6.1kkkk atk charms
    7.a all class pet that will look like a grim ripper!
    8.a bigger x mas list
    9.some rare chat emoticons
    10.a lvl 50 assasin
    b:dirty
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2009
    Hmm, I'm still in favor of forced lung donation. The special catshop token is good too though, it could even make your catshop turn green.
  • Asurr - Heavens Tear
    Asurr - Heavens Tear Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    i dont care...! i have 1 life!! so i do wot i want i dont care about earth future! i dont care about my kids cuz i wont have i dont care about nothing
    i care just about me !! and im pretty sure if i let mah pc all day on i wont distroy the next day..!!b:victoryb:victoryb:victoryb so I DONT CARE!
    I DONT CARE!

me neither cuz all of us including the earth and solar system gonna die anyway when the sun explodes in a fantastic super nova. so lets have sex now before it happens b:kiss
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    magic mon ami the reason why we dont switch to solar energy is because of its low effencicy rate(yea yea i know my spell check is broken atm). if i remeber correctly the rate of production from one solor cell is like 17-20% while the rest is just purely heat. also i forget the exact number but it takes a hella lot of solor panals just to power one house and not the mention all the equipment it takes to do it.
    The energy density of sunlight at the Earth's orbit in space is about 1500 Watts/m^2. By the time it reaches the surface of the Earth, it's about 800 W/m^2. The efficiency of commercial-grade mass-produced panels is about 15%, so total yield on a sunny day at noon with panels angled to face the sun is about 120 W/m^2. There are more expensive panels on the market which are about 20%-22% efficient. And researchers have managed to achieve about 40% efficiency in the lab.

Because of the high price of the panels, electricity from solar costs about 30-60 cents per kWh. For comparison, coal plants are around 3-4.5 cents per kWh. Although it has been coming down rather quickly recently.
    my opinion is that nuclear/hydro alternatives are the best way to go. natural resources for it is plentiful and the efficency rate is extremly high.
    Interesting stat. Worldwide, in terms of deaths per MWh generated, nuclear is actually the safest electricity source while hydro is the most dangerous. Apparently a lot of people have been killed in dam failures.
    That's a little extreme. Just kill the game. Instead of eliminating the energy consumption of ~400 cat shops, you eliminate the energy consumption of hundreds of thousands of players!
  • Nibby - Dreamweaver
    Nibby - Dreamweaver Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2009

-Ast

Overlooking the assumptions you have made in your post, you do have a valid point - or two.

First of all, the number of cat-shops dotting the PWI landscape is impressive and somewhat annoying. This is especially true when shops are stratigically placed on or around NPC's there-by hendering interactions between the NPC and other players. To me, any marketing value this may provide the seller is lost to the anoyance it creates. Maybe PWI could provide "No Cat Zones" around NPC's so as to eliminate this small anoyance. My solution is to simply not shop there.

Secondly, I was impressed by the snapy comebacks generated by your post. Some of which were quite entertaining (I'm still laughing). Obviously and regretably this raw talent in still incased in the ping-pong ball size universes that some of these individuals still inhabit - hopefully they will grow out of them (hatch so to speak), and join the rest of us - it would be such a waste otherwise.

Speaking of waste, it is important that we take responsibility for our actions and minimize behavior that adversely affects our environment. It is impossible to completely eliminate these effects but it is possible to control them - energy consumption being the major culprit.

Knowing this, if we all turned off lights when not in use and adjusted our thermostates 1 degree every day according to the season, we would save enough energy to easly power a midsize city each day and in the short term save ourselves a few dollars on our utility bills. I don't have the time to scrape up the data to provide the appropriate statistics - I do have a life outside PWI - but I'm certain that the reduction in hydrocarbons alone would be impressive.

Finally, keep up the good work. It is imporant that we express ourselves and share our ideas with others. If we were all clones - however perfect (I may be - lol) - the world would be a boring place.

b:bye
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    StormHydra - Sanctuary Posts: 2,221 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I club baby trees for fun, and because I like to hear them scream. My carbon footprint alone is equal to half of China's. Meanwhile, I spend my idle time consuming the blood of infants and curb-stomping puppies. In fact, I am shamed if I do not do these things. I demand a cash shop item that will appease my pet guilt-trips.

Man, it'll be great when we've sucked this planet dry and can move on to colonize (and corrupt) the rest of the Universe, ruining underfoot the flawed creation that bore us in our ascent to godhood. And, hopefully, we'll even get to kill some 8-foot-tall smurfs in the process.

I was thinking more along the lines of Greenpeace, or some other similarly "eco-conscious" organization that offsets the burden of being raised in an industrialized nation by creating layers of bureaucratic guilt to grant some semblance of purpose in an otherwise existentially barren life. Quickly, someone light the Glenn Beck & GOP-Fox News-Megaconglomerate Superfriends signal! Everyone knows the only way to fight guilt trips is with mindless crazy and outmoded, hypocritical corruption!

applauses.gif
    MY ORIGINAL PICTURE =S
    But yeah you get the idea.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |Active: Coalescence - Lost City, Wizard|
    |Inactive: StormHydra - Sanctuary, Archer|
    |Call of Duty: Black Ops|League of Legends|Forsaken World|Perfect World International|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
  • Negreiros - Sanctuary
    Negreiros - Sanctuary Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    REMOVE THAT TAX FROM AUCTIONER...duh
    problem solved by 99%
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] i have seen PW alive...it was awesome xD
  • Manostra - Harshlands
    Manostra - Harshlands Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    How comes you believe all Catshop user are away from their pc and not use it ?

You can run PWI in Window Mode and lay the Game in the Background while working on something else. Although i like the Idea of removing them in addition with a Auction House Overhaul but for different reasons than yours.
    I hate Room 38