Who thinks we need a new server and why?

nightsky72
nightsky72 Posts: 4 Arc User
edited December 2009 in Suggestion Box
I feel like we need a new server. I feel the economy is out of whack, at least it is on dreamweaver. I also feel that new players don't really have a chance to be successful against the much higher, already established servers. Also, the new expansion is coming out. New characters of the new race and classes will be at a severe disadvantage of ever having the joy of a TW or one that is within the reasonable means of success. They will most like die instantly to stronger factions.

If you would like to respond, please leave constructive posts only on whether why or why not a new server should be opened. Please don't flame/troll/post negatively. Just because someone posts against your stand point doesn't mean it's a negative attack against you. This is simply a debate.
Post edited by nightsky72 on

Comments

• Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    No, there have been several replies to this by a GM. The old servers aren't full yet, so we don't need new ones.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    No, there have been several replies to this by a GM. The old servers aren't full yet, so we don't need new ones.

I've discussed that with the OP and he is aware, but I still want to hear what people who support this idea have to say. More feedback means more community support when we do decide to add one, although one thread isn't going to make or break the idea of a new server it definitely won't hurt when the time comes b:victory
  • nightsky72
    edited October 2009
    While the servers may not be full, we can agree they are highly populated. The lower players don't have a chance to do TW in the more elitist factions and it's not easy overcoming those levels so late in the game, especially with a poor game economy. Being that the servers are highly populated, if an amount from each server were to leave, it would fill up another server leaving them all balanced, albeit not full, but fairly spread out, populated enough to see people but not be in a chaotic environment all the time. Also, like I said, the new characters will be coming out. It would be interesting seeing the TW strategies based on this. My main argument is not that the servers are full but the fact that the servers are filled enough so that the players who don't really have a chance to have a good TW have a seconds chance and servers will remained populated.
  • FatherTed - Dreamweaver
    FatherTed - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,723 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    The only real benefit I see would be for the purpose of newer players getting an honest chance to TW, but I see that as a reflection of the poorly designed TW system instead of a need for new servers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the sig Ophida :3
  • Shulkie - Dreamweaver
    Shulkie - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    As we have seen before whenever a new server is started a certain amount of people migrate from existing servers, where for whatever reason they are not happy (too busy/can't TW/too expensive etc)

In a lot of these cases people who know each other come across en-masse create a faction, level together, fight together and quickly take control of large portions of the map, leaving small factions and solo players behind - so no advantage other than there would be a couple of new classes in these initial factions but the end result would be the same - after less than a year people would be mewling for a new server because xxx faction has 80% of the land and noone has a chance against them etc etc

I am waffling now.. so it must be bed time.. i think i made a point tho
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    There is no place in a perfect world for double entendre!
  • forks89
    forks89 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I don't think there are a need for new servers... Gold prices and the economy will recover after the year and one month anniversary packs are gone... TW will be lost in no time on new servers anyways... I think if anything needs changing regarding this it is not the addition of new servers but the reworking of TWs... Who knows once a faction takes over the world (all of the lands) maybe they will be forced to disban and start over.. either way something has to be done about the TW system.. MAKING A NEW SERVER IS NOT THE SOLUTION.
    Raging Tide Guild:resolvepwi.mmoguildsites.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Foxgrit - Lost City
    Foxgrit - Lost City Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    until servers are even close to being full there is no point in a new server. buy 1000 anni packs now and turn the tokens into oracles to use when new classes are released. oracle yourself to 90+ in a week and spend $25k to upgrade all your equips. there you go simple solution to be competive on one of the new classes when they are released. if you dont want to spend any money then your opinion is irrelevant anyway. its your choice whether to spend money or not and your choice who much time/effort you want to put into being competive in a decent timeframe.
  • Angel__sora - Sanctuary
    Angel__sora - Sanctuary Posts: 213 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    If I could jump my character over to the new server, I might consider it. But, seeing as how that's impossible, I don't see the need for a new one. Until the good folks up at PWI go "OMGWTFBBQHAX there's so many people!", we don't need a new server.
    One man's pain is another man's lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kryp
    kryp Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    i agree that it would be nice to have a new server to play on. Although it would only be a temporary solution to the TW problem. Many people have proposed various solutions to the TW issue. I started Day 1 on Dreamweaver with a group of just a few friends, and created one of the top factions on the server. So its not like only ppl that migrate a faction will be successful.

A new server would give ppl that joined the game after the most recent ones were released a chance to enjoy the TW portion.

As the servers stand right now, the population will not grow significantly. Because if a new player created a lvl 1 character and lvled it up. He would not be able to enjoy the game in its entirety, and would end up leaving before he really gets a chance to experience the game. I know this from experience, i found this game less than a week before sanctuary was released, and i didnt like it at all. I would have most likely quit a week later, before buying any zen. But when sanctuary was released, i tried it out, LOVED it, adn stuck around. Then i got too busy to continue at the pace i was playing, and left the game for about 2 months. When i came back, everything i had worked for was basically in vein. The higher lvls run the economy unless you buy massive amounts of zen to lvl up from the events. (which is not fun). So i waited patiently for dreamweaver to be released, and i started fresh once again. And again, i really enjoyed my time spent in PW.

Now i know that was a long story, but my point is that a new server would keep some of the newer players from leaving the game before they can truely experience its greatest aspects as i would have. And i believe that because of this, opening a new server would be a smart financial decision in the long run for the developers. And now is an excellent time to take a venture because i have seen pwi's stock page and their value is way up there.

I think with the release of the new race, it is an excellent opertunity to open 1 new server that would not be identical to the ones before it because the new classes would add a new aspect.

The developers have another option tho, other than saying either yes or no to a new server. They could (and this is probably a bit of a stretch at this point) take some time and reformat the TW system. Now this may change the game too dramatically, but im sure there are some subtle things that coudl be done to at least make it a little bit bett. I could offer a few suggestions as to how to improve/change it so as to keep it more interesting instead of having a single faction dominate the entire map, but i see no reason in going into that kind of detail here unless some of the dev's or GMs actually want to hear it because this is already a really long post.
  • basscross
    basscross Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    a new server would be fair for the new race. i mean that way they arent way behind every other race
  • Q - Dreamweaver
    Q - Dreamweaver Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I think it would be great to have new servers since the new classes are coming out and a mass amount of people will make one. Also a great chance for non cash players to race to level one of the new classes without being beat by the cash players who have a stack of oracles waiting.
  • Wolfgang - Dreamweaver
    Wolfgang - Dreamweaver Posts: 438 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I think it would be great to have new servers since the new classes are coming out and a mass amount of people will make one. Also a great chance for non cash players to race to level one of the new classes without being beat by the cash players who have a stack of oracles waiting.
    The only real benefit I see would be for the purpose of newer players getting an honest chance to TW, but I see that as a reflection of the poorly designed TW system instead of a need for new servers.
    As we have seen before whenever a new server is started a certain amount of people migrate from existing servers, where for whatever reason they are not happy (too busy/can't TW/too expensive etc)

In a lot of these cases people who know each other come across en-masse create a faction, level together, fight together and quickly take control of large portions of the map, leaving small factions and solo players behind - so no advantage other than there would be a couple of new classes in these initial factions but the end result would be the same - after less than a year people would be mewling for a new server because xxx faction has 80% of the land and noone has a chance against them etc etc

I am waffling now.. so it must be bed time.. i think i made a point tho

Exactly. The only thing is, the gold prices on the new servers will likely be ridiculous as there won't be as many ppl selling gold.

The only reason for new servers would be for when the new classes are released. If they release them with an oracle event, that will defeat the purpose. The TW situation will be the same. Some ppl will organize beforehand and migrate to the new server and control the territory there.

There are rumors that the map will be reset on all servers when the new classes are released. If that does happen, I don't see the point of having new servers. Dreamweaver isn't populated enough imo....though some ppl with laptops or older pc's think it's overpopulated ~.^
  • Kilala - Lost City
    Kilala - Lost City Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    i give it a try but if it get ruined by anni pack or gold goes to 800k like in lost city.I will be pissed for the time i waisted b:victory
  • nightsky72
    edited October 2009
    There are rumors that the map will be reset on all servers when the new classes are released. If that does happen, I don't see the point of having new servers.

The fact that some guilds in some servers are and still will be the strongest faction and can take everything back over. It'll just be delaying the inevitable.
  • forks89
    edited October 2009
    Sure it will delay the inevitable.. But think of it this way..

If a faction has land it will be able to attract more members.

if they attract more members they will be more competitive.

If they are more competitive they could possibly challenge the "strongest" faction

On top of all of that, how many members in the "strongest" faction are only there because of the healthy pay check... What do you think they would do if that pay check left.. maybe it would also cause a little bit more distribution of the high levels because players will leave with out the cash flow, join other factions or start their own.

Spliting up the lands would have a much bigger impact on the server than you realize. I really doubt that it would just "delay the inevitable" it would more likely mix it up to a very respectable and colorful TW map.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nightsky72
    edited October 2009
    You're all still missing the point that this is just a rumor. Some of your arguments are that, based on this rumor, it would fix the TW, we don't need a new server, despite no substantial fact that the maps will be reset. That being said, those high levels that are bored without a chance at the stronger factions and just running around towns doing nothing will be able to go to this new server with knowledge of the game and go to the new server and try their own thing with their own faction.
  • kryp
    edited October 2009
    yeah resetting the map will really change nothing about TW. Sure it will help some smaller factions have land for a week or 2. But the big factions will take it eventually, and there is no point in leaving the faction you've been in for months just because it's land gets taken away. They will just rebuild and eventually the strongest facton now will have more lands than everyone else again.
  • meepsdse
    meepsdse Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    nuuuu not a new surver! b:cry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

all we do is play pwi..... but we dont play enough!b:victory
    edited October 2009
    Maybe if they reset the map and allow each faction to control, say, 5 territories at a time, it would fix TW.

But that doesn't have anything to do with a new server. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Olee - Dreamweaver
    Olee - Dreamweaver Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    A new server would be great for clean all the **** that happened in the last 2 months ( lunar glade and end game stuff ) it would be cool as well for see how useful the new classes can be, and do the things with the persons of ur lvl, not with high lvls doing it for ya, I mean, for sure if any1 makes an assasin or physic, they will get help from high lvls, but how about in a new server where u really have to play in team for even do a fb19...
  • forks89
    edited October 2009
    To all of you that say a map reset wouldn't break up a few of the stronger factions take a look at this qoute
    I usually dont post alot, but after last week i felt like i needed too. Let me say my main is in CQ but im using an alt to prevent backlash or me getting kicked. It's about the tw vs gz last weeekend. For those that dont know cq could have ended it in 5 mins, but chose to camp the spawn and not send catas in for 30 min. This just seems butthurt to me like how dare gz cross us make them pay. This just shows how greede cq is. The guild is nothing more than a group of paid mercenaries.Theres really none of the original cq left.Your a shell of your former self. This isnt the cq i used to know, the cq I used to like. Nothing more than salary leechers imo. It may not look like it cq but your greedeness will be your downfall this weekend showed that. GG your digging your own grave.

So your telling me that people who feel like this will stay in the faction once the paycheck is gone... Honestly I would say HELL NO. If I was being treated unfairly or I didn't like the members in a faction I might stay just for the paycheck (if it was big enough) But I know for a fact that as soon as that paycheck was gone.. I would be too.

The bottom line is... Speculation or not

Cleaning the TW map WOULD (to a degree) BREAK UP THE LARGER FACTIONS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    nope, it won't.

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • forks89
    edited October 2009
    nope, it won't.

Please elaborate why you think that every single member of all of the large factions would stay in faction.

Sorry but if your in a debate usually giving some facts and supporting details helps your case.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Elviron - Dreamweaver
    Elviron - Dreamweaver Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Well cleaning up the maps would give the stronger factions (having a lot of higher lvl people wondering how to pass time) something to do ingame again instead of continuously defending against weaker ones (which obviously is way too boring if youre too strong :P)

It really woudnt break up the faction in any way since the people in there know they will get back the lands (due to lack of competition) and hence the paycheck as well. Its not like they wouldnt have got all their equips by now.

On a side note, this is the only place where I have seen such a large amount of requests for a new server. In the past games I've played we never got new servers even when multiple new classes were introduced. People simply power levelled and equipped them to match up the high lvl players. After all their skills and possibilities are different
  • kryp
    edited October 2009
    forks89 wrote: »
    Please elaborate why you think that every single member of all of the large factions would stay in faction.

Sorry but if your in a debate usually giving some facts and supporting details helps your case.

i cant speak for other servers, but i come from dreamweaver. and the dominant faction there now is calamity. and i can say with 100% certainty that they will not break up after a map reset because i know how the guild was founded, and it was done properly. I should also point out that i am not a calamity member, and i would love to see a new faction have success, but it just wont happen.
    On a side note, this is the only place where I have seen such a large amount of requests for a new server. In the past games I've played we never got new servers even when multiple new classes were introduced. People simply power levelled and equipped them to match up the high lvl players. After all their skills and possibilities are different

this is the nature of pw, it is geared too much towards higher lvl players. There is no end game so for a lot of ppl, and i know it isnt for everyone, starting over on a new server is the only way to continue to enjoy the game. And with all teh events, where is the motivation to lvl up if ppl can just spend a lot of money and lvl from 30-80 with no effort? That takes everything away from the game in my oppinion. I like to lvl up normally, and if the events continue as they have been for the past few months, there is absolutely no reason for me to stay in the game, and i know of many ppl that feel the ssame way. The only idea keeping a lot of ppl is the hope that a new server will be released.

Now, this has completely gone off topic, we are supposed to be giving reasons why we support the idea of having a new server.
    I've discussed that with the OP and he is aware, but I still want to hear what people who support this idea have to say. More feedback means more community support when we do decide to add one, although one thread isn't going to make or break the idea of a new server it definitely won't hurt when the time comes b:victory

spoons said he wanted to hear from people who DO support the idea. So all the people that are against it should stop posting. We all know that even if this thread is filled with ppl that want a new server it wont mean we will get one. The purpose of this thread is for us to try to communicate indirectly with the developers to make pw a better game for everyone.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    They have stated TIME AND TIME AGAIN that --> a new server would be considered WHEN AND IF a need arises.

I hardly find the economy a reason to open a new server. Blame the Gold buyers and sellers. Has nothing to do with whether a new server is needed or not. IJS
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • kryp
    edited October 2009
    again rose, spoons has already posted that he has discussed it with the OP and he still wants to hear what the people that support the idea have to say about it.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    kryp wrote: »
    again rose, spoons has already posted that he has discussed it with the OP and he still wants to hear what the people that support the idea have to say about it.

I know that, but I said that because every other post on this topic has been closed.

I was pointing out what Spoons has said repeatedly as well as other gm's.

I personally do not see the need, especially if the reason is the Economy. The same would happen on the new server.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Zion - Dreamweaver
    Zion - Dreamweaver Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    not if they take some of the suggestions we are offering them that could keep the game's economy stable, and also be profitable for the company. it would not be a drastic change.

we know that many ppl do not agree with us, this topic is for us that do agree to speak out and maybe be heard.
    edited October 2009
    Basically what RedsRose is saying is come up with a better reason than "the economy is bad QQ". The US economy is bad too, but that's no reason for us to get a new country.

And while I'm here, TW isn't a good reason either. Dreamweaver's "boohoo Calamity is taking over" QQ is ridiculous. There is more red on Sanctuary's map then there is on Dreamweaver's, but there's no one crying about that is there? And what happens when the first how-many-ever people on Server X make a faction and build it up to take over the whole map? We'll be right back here listening to "QQ Faction X took over the map moar new server pl0x" again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]