Treatment of Clerics

Comments

• Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Not to mention veno pullers RARELY get healed when they take aggro... all the clerics LOVE goes to barbs. So no... I'm not going to give a rats patooty.

If I heal a veno when she pulls, aggro goes to me. Why in the world would I do that...?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Jhaernyl - Heavens Tear
    Jhaernyl - Heavens Tear Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    If the cleric dies, the squad wipes, no res.

On bosses, maybe but not all the time. On mobs hardly ever
    If the tank dies, the squad probably wipes

Not very often, since the off tank steps in
  • Alreatha - Sanctuary
    Alreatha - Sanctuary Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Simple solution: Don't squad outside of your comfort zone if you can't take abuse or handle it diplomatically.
    b:chuckle ==> Abusing Legerity since Demonhood <== b:chuckle
  • Enzio - Heavens Tear
    Enzio - Heavens Tear Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    If I heal a veno when she pulls, aggro goes to me. Why in the world would I do that...?

Well that's when the Barb should step in and take it?
    Why is the Rum gone? TELL ME NOW OR I WILL EAT YOUb:angry
  • Damewort - Sanctuary
    Damewort - Sanctuary Posts: 573 Arc User
    edited November 2009

Agree, don't heal when when veno pulls, but drop a heal if he/she get hit after mob is caught. b:thanks
  • Alreatha - Sanctuary
    Alreatha - Sanctuary Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Agree, don't heal when when veno pulls, but drop a heal if he/she get hit after mob is caught. b:thanks
    I let my venos die b:chuckle (j/l, ilu sis b:kiss)

If the cleric gets aggro, isn't it the job of the other DDs to try and take it off the cleric? I don't think any squad is dumb enough to let their cleric take damage while they wail on another mob.
    b:chuckle ==> Abusing Legerity since Demonhood <== b:chuckle
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited November 2009
    Well that's when the Barb should step in and take it?

Exactly, then the barb is taking damage and the veno no longer is. Therefore, the barb is the one in danger, so I heal the barb. Seems simple.

If I'm sure that the tank's HP is under control and I can handle it, I do. Otherwise veno will have to pot like I do b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    Legerity - Sanctuary Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I think you are all missing out that Archers can save backlines too.

I save backlines more than I die.
  • Damewort - Sanctuary
    Damewort - Sanctuary Posts: 573 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I let my venos die b:chuckle (j/l, ilu sis b:kiss)

If the cleric gets aggro, isn't it the job of the other DDs to try and take it off the cleric? I don't think any squad is dumb enough to let their cleric take damage while they wail on another mob.

*abuses sis and doesn't let her pull or tank* b:kiss

Al, it is DD's task to do it and most actually do it, if they manage to get there in time, before cleric goes down. Thought it doesn't always happen like that, especially, if DDs doesn't look at squad list to see if cleric is taking some damage or not. For some, cleric is moving hp pot.

Though, this reminds me of "Paniced Arcanes. You can never know what they will do."
    I think you are all missing out on that Archers can save backlines too.

I save backlines more than I die.

Backlines? You are always in front lines :P
    Though, Archer stun skills and speed buff on others is great. And their Winged Shell is good to stay alive while keeping aggro till squad is back on feet. Unfortunately, not all archers know their possibilities and limitations as well as you.
    edited November 2009

Once agro is under control a good cleric will normally drop a party heal.
    If the cleric gets aggro, isn't it the job of the other DDs to try and take it off the cleric?

Yes it is, specially Bm's... atleast have the decency to heal them afterwards

If I'm sure that the tank's HP is under control and I can handle it, I do. Otherwise veno will have to pot like I do

If the tank cant handle a few hits from a mob while you heal someone else... your tank is to low level
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited November 2009
    If the tank cant handle a few hits from a mob while you heal someone else... your tank is to low level

The first 30 seconds or so of a boss is always a bit hectic for me, between making sure the tank has aggro and not the DDs, timing my heals so I don't waste MP overhealing but don't spread them out too far either, and getting into the swing of the squad. Does it kill the veno to wait a minute or two? b:surrender And sometimes you have to deal with underleveled tanks and can't get to healing the veno. No one's fault, just a fact...usually on BH69 I can solo heal, purify, party heal, and occasionally toss a heal on other melee fighters with a higher level barb. The last one I did the barb was my level and I couldn't manage anything beyond spam heal/spark heal/purify. Just something you have to deal with.

Edit: Are my eyes playing tricks on me or is the font a tad lighter?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2009
    The first 30 seconds or so of a boss is always a bit hectic for me, between making sure the tank has aggro and not the DDs,

I agree with you there, but seriously that should be a no brainer for DD's .... " Dont attack until tank has agro ", but sadly I know that is not always the case
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Got to hate the part in bold. Now that is a diva talk!
    It is cleric part of job to keep squad healed and revive when it is needed.
    Venos don't get treated baddly? We are the most flamed class in whole game!
    There are countless topics where venos gets flamed for being overpowered. We get left out of squads often if you don't have herc. We get cut on drops or put last in drop sharing list, because we are "rich".

It is others can go back town and come back to join the squad if we are to busy at keeping others alive.I wouldn't say you are the most mistreated in the game when things go wrong it always fall on US guaranteed.I have never been the first to get the drops.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • hemoglobin
    hemoglobin Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    yeah in like every party im in, the BARB is the one abusing the cleric. he or she is like, CLERIC HEAL which is annoying. i try to defend my clerics because i was a priest in my last game and i know how hard it is being yelled at to heal all the time
  • Blackvoid - Sanctuary
    Blackvoid - Sanctuary Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    i agree with hemo honestly barbs usually treat clerics like they are worthless and if they do it to me i just leave they can take their "im the boss and deal with it" attitude somewhere else because im not there to be your little slave if i miss a heal or you cant keep agro from one heal after you hit every mob i do not want to be yelled at.
    i am the dark meaningless void that fills all of your souls.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mad_Doc - Sanctuary
    Mad_Doc - Sanctuary Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    In defense to barbs, if cleric doesn't spam IH on them or purify in time they will die. I've seen barbs died several times because one of the BMs in the squad uses calamity axes so the cleric spammed IH on that guy thinking he had aggro.... I was playing the barb. In those situation where death of barb means clerics and DDs are next target of the boss, You can get very very edgy and may end up yelling at the cleric.
  • Enzio - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2009
    I've seen barbs died several times because one of the BMs in the squad uses calamity axes so the cleric spammed IH on that guy thinking he had aggro....

I use Calamity Axes, yes I take aggro from the barb. Clerics should be more worried about the barb, he has the ability to take aggro back. If the barb is to lazy to take it back he shouldn't have come. I have seen this happen. He QQ'ed about he couldn't take it back. Clerics even if the BM does take aggro keep healing the tank unless you see him not trying to get it back. They do have Flesh Ream which takes aggro back instantly.
  • Mad_Doc - Sanctuary
    Mad_Doc - Sanctuary Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I use Calamity Axes, yes I take aggro from the barb. Clerics should be more worried about the barb, he has the ability to take aggro back. If the barb is to lazy to take it back he shouldn't have come. I have seen this happen. He QQ'ed about he couldn't take it back. Clerics even if the BM does take aggro keep healing the tank unless you see him not trying to get it back. They do have Flesh Ream which takes aggro back instantly.

On that note, Please don't use drake bash on boss. Stun skills resets aggro even if the boss isn't stunned.
  • Enzio - Heavens Tear
    edited November 2009
    On that note, Please don't use drake bash on boss. Stun skills resets aggro even if the boss isn't stunned.

I don't. I know the effects, happened before. Didn't cause a party wipe, I held it until barb realized he didn't have aggro. He got it back and we were good. Now I just use Spark eruption and steal aggro from barb. (Not my fault I hit hard)
  • Morganna - Lost City
    Morganna - Lost City Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Hay. Dude. I was in an HH party, and we were doing Drum. I was doing BB with event pots. A veno asked me to move the BB to her, and became rude and confrontational when I told her I couldn't..... Ouchhhh. Gotta love it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Your multi-tasking, Stephanie, is EPIC." --Aadi
    --DISCLAIMER--"the precceding post is only the opinion of Morganna and is not placing blame or accusation on anyone or anything" THANK YOU Xeian <3
  • Nexdonum - Lost City
    Nexdonum - Lost City Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I've never even been in the top 1/2 of drop list priority, and I heal everyone to the best of my ability. I keep an eye on everyone's HP and buff/debuff status. I IH, purify, group heal (rarely, as I never seem to be able to find the time to get it off effectively) and rez when needed. I don't usually get yelled at, but I have had several times where I was just verbally rap ed. It was a bunch of bollocks, and even though I was angry, I always do my best to keep everyone healed/alive. I'm just that sort of person. I don't mind using pots/my charm, but I wouldn't mind getting some help in that regard. I've never once been offered any sort of compensation for anything, and get shafted on most drops.

That being said, I feel that Clerics are treated poorly on a regular basis, but most people generally are okay about it. It's just those few jack asses that ruin it for everyone (and everyone knows someone from EACH class like this).

What really gets my goat is when people say "CLERIC HEAL". Okay 1)I have a name, and you can shorten it. If you don't acknowledge the cleric as a person, chances are they will be less likely to heal you instantly (well, as quickly as possible anyways). 2) I KNOW. I'm not retar ded. I watch your hp, and I will throw a heal or 2 on you when I can, and I purify everytime my CD on it is up. Tank(s) get priority, and I (and most Clerics I believe) will heal you when chance allows. Don't ***** about your charm ticking, or having to use pots/etc, as my charm (when I have one) ticks CONSTANTLY. Every time the CD is down on it, it ticks. I don't *****, as I know it will do so, and I know that my class will use mana like an alcoholic with his drink. I accept that. But seriously STFU about YOUR charm ticking 1-XXXX times. EVERY action I do results in my charm being used (or rather, several actions make it tick, just every action uses MP). 3) I'm always willing to learn to be better/more efficient/etc. I will take every mistake I make and try to learn from that. But the key to an MMO is for YOU to do the same. Just because you can auto-attack doesn't negate the fact that you still have to be flexible. That's just it, as everyone expects the Cleric to bend to what's happening, yet don't think they have to do anything other attack ****. That's ridiculous. Learn AGGRO MANAGEMENT. I state that before every PUG squad I enter now. I specifically state, "Okay, I can heal everyone well enough, not so much group heal, as that takes a while with minimal efficiency, but if we all utilize even DECENT aggro management, this will be a smooth, successful run." I want to be one of the Clerics that can just say F*** you if you die and you can't learn from your mistakes, but I can't. I'm a helping person by nature, and I will try my best to keep even the most moronic of players alive. But that doesn't mean I don't get royally pissed when they blatently disregard the groups wellbeing, just so they can see big numbers, and take the loot. A squad is only as strong as it's weakest link, and unfortunately, there's quite a lot of weak links.

I know tl;dr. Here, let me shorten it for the illiterate ones. 1) Stay in range of our heals, and you shall be healed when possible. 2) We use pots/charms EVERY time the CD is down. Don't ***** about using a pot/charm tick or two. It's part of the game, and helps you stay alive. And, if you do happen to die, if you're making an honest effort in keeping yourself alive as best as possible as well, I know that I (and probably most Clerics) won't have a problem in rezzing you. It's always appreciated to receive some help. ;) 3) I don't want to sound elitest (although frankly, as of late, I couldn't care less tbh) but the Cleric(s) is/are the most important members in the squad. Now that could be debated, but really, how are battles won? You take out the healer, as they will keep the heavy hitters hitting hard. 4) If you ask a Cleric for a rez, unless they are near, some compensation would be appreciated. I know that I personally never ask for any sort of compensation, but I have spent money/spirit on leveling my rez, so that YOU can save some sort of exp. I know that I never have a Cleric in the area to rez me, so I take the 4.5% exp loss EVERY time I die. Granted, I don't die that often, but it still hurts, and since I can't rez myself, the Rez skill isn't very useful for me (Clerics) now is it?

In closing, yes, Clerics are abused. Granted, so are other classes, I'm not debating that at all. But everything would be much better if everyone learned a little humility and respect for other players. Treat others as you yourself would like to be treated. I know that there are always going to be jack asses, but you also have to think about the fact that for every jackass, there are 5 other (maybe not 'pro' players) nice/respectable people. It's just sad that the jack asses are the most vocal.

Sorry for the long post. I just read the whole thread, and had a few things to say, and I have forgotten some points throughout the typing of this post. I may add more in this post later/another post some time, when I remember them.

Just know your roles, and fulfill them to the best of your ability. No one can (honestly) give you grief if you do this. And remember, this is a game, so enjoy it. I know I do, for all the faults, this is truly a fun game.

And to all you jack asses. WTF is wrong with you? You want to enjoy the game, as do we all. Do be respectful, and don't criticize others, unless you are willing to take the same treatment in return. Want to be an **** to me? Fine by me. Just don't be expecting anything out of me. Want that rez? Oops, level 1 rez. Want a heal? Oh, wait, what do you mean heals? I like LAZERZ. PEW PEW Mental bows FTW.

STFU and start acting like a human being, and treating others as human beings. FFS.

edit: Don't get me wrong, I highly enjoy running BH's/FB's/HH/etc. I go on as much as I can, time and fatigue willing. But then again, I also enjoy solo grinding quests/mobs as well. Just saying a little courtesy goes a long way. ;D
    We have two ears and one tongue so that we would listen more and talk less. - Diogenes

It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them. - Pierre Beaumarchais

You cannot reason someone out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - Unknown
  • Bowlinbob - Lost City
    Bowlinbob - Lost City Posts: 3,446 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Hay. Dude. I was in an HH party, and we were doing Drum. I was doing BB with event pots. A veno asked me to move the BB to her, and became rude and confrontational when I told her I couldn't..... Ouchhhh. Gotta love it.

lol really? xD

why didnt she just move closer to bubble <_<

*hates when people spread out so much*
  • myforumaccountwoot
    myforumaccountwoot Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    ^teal deer

No but seriously; if you've got a problem running something, we'll go to the next cleric and happily abuse that one
  • LadyVvall - Sanctuary
    LadyVvall - Sanctuary Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    meh I have seriously random lag spikes, or worse, I disconnect,though very rarely these days. I don't download anything, as this is purely a gaming computer. SO, it's not a matter of sympathizing, how about you just count your blessings you don't have the same issues. kthxbye b:bye
    I don't like people. The sooner you can accept that, the sooner we can all go on with our insignificant lives.
  • Bowlinbob - Lost City
    Bowlinbob - Lost City Posts: 3,446 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    meh I have seriously random lag spikes, or worse, I disconnect,though very rarely these days. I don't download anything, as this is purely a gaming computer. SO, it's not a matter of sympathizing, how about you just count your blessings you don't have the same issues. kthxbye b:bye

^same issues, except lag spikes. I just dc randomly.
  • Mendolin - Sanctuary
    Mendolin - Sanctuary Posts: 1,092 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    this has to be the most ridiculous thread i have read in a while... and im a well respected cleric. honestly i think every class goes without appreciation most of the time, that doesnt mean you should demand it. each player as an individual needs to earn the respect they recieve in game. if you dont want to help a rude player, then dont... just give me their name and i will. i do my job whether or not i get appreciated for it and thats why people respect me and note me as a good cleric. prove the rude players wrong and help them anyways... maybe the truth is you just arent a good cleric? maybe try and learn from your mistakes as a cleric and move on. too quickly do i see clerics not want the blame... but what if it really is your fault? who cares if the archer steals aggro... as a cleric you need to pay attention. cast wings of protection on the archer or wiz who steals aggro to buy yourself time to cast a larger heal for example.
    those who demand appreciation/ respect often dont deserve it... remember that
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kawakami - Dreamweaver
    Kawakami - Dreamweaver Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    this has to be the most ridiculous thread i have read in a while... and im a well respected cleric. honestly i think every class goes without appreciation most of the time, that doesnt mean you should demand it. each player as an individual needs to earn the respect they recieve in game. if you dont want to help a rude player, then dont... just give me their name and i will. i do my job whether or not i get appreciated for it and thats why people respect me and note me as a good cleric. prove the rude players wrong and help them anyways... maybe the truth is you just arent a good cleric? maybe try and learn from your mistakes as a cleric and move on. too quickly do i see clerics not want the blame... but what if it really is your fault? who cares if the archer steals aggro... as a cleric you need to pay attention. cast wings of protection on the archer or wiz who steals aggro to buy yourself time to cast a larger heal for example.
    those who demand appreciation/ respect often dont deserve it... remember that

I don't demand appreciation or respect from anyone, it's an empty feeling when recieved. But if people don't want to listen, you have to teach them the hard way, and I have experienced many of them. Most of them only agree with me after they died, since most people believe only in themselves. Let me show you some quotes from two people. Friedrich Nietzsche - Conviction is a greater foe of truth than lies ( yes you can use that against me ) Niccolo Machiavelli - To have learned to be other than good, and to use or not to use ( his ) goodness as necessity requires ( part of a quote )

So far I never got blamed for someone's death, only for one person running ahead and saying : Cleric ? Because I stuck with the rest of the squad. I try to save as many as possible, but if people just don't want to listen they really have to learn the hard way. You can't teach an ignorant person without a painful experience. You must be a really "kind" person to try to forgive people's ignorance and absorb it all, but how much can you convince them of being wrong if words alone are not enough ? Since most people view life as gain and death as loss, they will associate living with a proof of them being right, and death proving them wrong, or a failure of the Cleric, or to use their stupid actions to blame the Cleric instead, and finally to make them see their own mistake.
    Few people make mistakes with fire after being once burned, of people who regard water lightly many have been drowned - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited November 2009
    I don't demand appreciation or respect from anyone, it's an empty feeling when recieved. But if people don't want to listen, you have to teach them the hard way, and I have experienced many of them. Most of them only agree with me after they died, since most people believe only in themselves. Let me show you some quotes from two people. Friedrich Nietzsche - Conviction is a greater foe of truth than lies ( yes you can use that against me ) Niccolo Machiavelli - To have learned to be other than good, and to use or not to use ( his ) goodness as necessity requires ( part of a quote )

So far I never got blamed for someone's death, only for one person running ahead and saying : Cleric ? Because I stuck with the rest of the squad. I try to save as many as possible, but if people just don't want to listen they really have to learn the hard way. You can't teach an ignorant person without a painful experience. You must be a really "kind" person to try to forgive people's ignorance and absorb it all, but how much can you convince them of being wrong if words alone are not enough ? Since most people view life as gain and death as loss, they will associate living with a proof of them being right, and death proving them wrong, or a failure of the Cleric, or to use their stupid actions to blame the Cleric instead, and finally to make them see their own mistake.

I wouldn't quote Machiavelli, he's not exactly the most morally conscious writer b:chuckle

As much as I'd like to say that I let people die and play BA cleric that's healing tanks and taking names, I just put up with trashtalking when I get it. By this thread I feel like I should get it a lot more than I do.

As far as other classes being respected: Often I'll have an entirely bad squad except for one person, and I always PM them afterwards and thank them for being competent. It could be a veno, wizard, barb, or any class really. Never gotten that myself, but it feels right b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mendolin - Sanctuary
    Mendolin - Sanctuary Posts: 1,092 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    first off, i dont think i was pointing the finger at you specifically... i was just giving my opinion and how i play the game. everyone has a right to their own... if you want to let people die then go ahead, i think that shows an ignorance in yourself as well. you cant punish people and hope they learn from your punishment... if they blame you then most likely they are gonna keep thinking its you and find another cleric whether they say it to your face or not.
    people dont die often enough around me for me to understand what you mean. i learned how to play with the risky players... i am one myself and its a fun challenge keeping everyone alive, thats why i play a cleric.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hallsvaporaction
    hallsvaporaction Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    first off, i dont think i was pointing the finger at you specifically... i was just giving my opinion and how i play the game. everyone has a right to their own... if you want to let people die then go ahead, i think that shows an ignorance in yourself as well. you cant punish people and hope they learn from your punishment... if they blame you then most likely they are gonna keep thinking its you and find another cleric whether they say it to your face or not.
    people dont die often enough around me for me to understand what you mean. i learned how to play with the risky players... i am one myself and its a fun challenge keeping everyone alive, thats why i play a cleric.

You make me want to start a toon on Sanctuary, friendlist you to babysit me all day. b:dirty I'll be that lvl89 friend who's never made a single wine because you'll have provided me with every FB/BH wine up to that point. I'll be that lvl95 second cleric who demon sparks with that lvl96 archer and lvl93 wizzie together and play aggro tag with the bosses in BH, because surely you can cast wings of protection on all of us (3 min cooldown be damned) and you better keep us all healed and proper like or we'll be spamming your channels with FAIL messages for hours on end, three **** messages every 6 seconds. b:angry or I can be the double holypathed + cloud sprinting 0 vit lvl60 BM who's already aggroed Fushma when you have just entered the instance, but you better not let my charm tick or I won't be respecting you no more. Talk about high lvl fail... Rest assured that I'll be asking for rez on every death regardless of where you are. Sure you maybe in FB/TT/RB etc, but I need rez now!!! I'll be the Barb that asks you for MP pots on every run because all clerics carry a lot them right? Why should I buy/farm when you'll just give them to me? Oh yeah, do that for me and I'll accord you with all the "respect" and "appreciation" you deserve b:kiss Earn your place in my rude cold heart, my good friend, earn it!!!!