DQ Horses: Options?

Comments

• MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Equinophobic, would be the most accurate way to describe me. b:sweat

Ever heard of a play called Equus?

What you don't seem to understand dude, is that rare mounts are something of a large investment and that their suddenly losing value adds uncertainty to the system. Much like rl economies, PW's depends on a willingness of participants to put their assets on the market. This uncertainty factor coupled with seemingly out of control inflationary tendencies doesn't bode well for the economy in the long term, whatever opportunities for profit it may seem to offer in the near future. And it is a real loss of money, those horses were a lot more expensive than $30 to obtain and no one but a fool would trade DOs for them now. It's a very different thing when items devalue because of markets conditions than when they do because of dumping pressures.

@Solandri; I basically agree but you should grant me that DQs are basically grinding and traveling, which is pretty much what a large amount of our time in this game goes to... Patience and dedication are as deserving of reward as skill.
  • Rurik_Niall - Dreamweaver
    Rurik_Niall - Dreamweaver Posts: 432 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    That's what one would call a matter of opinion. Myself? I'd consider spending $30 for something I can get for free through in game means to be a bit on the foolish side, I'd rather just hunt down the Dragon Orders, mind you, I don't care how rare, impressive, or even how fast it is, I wouldn't be caught dead with one of those foul creatures, but that's beside the point entirely. As for the monetary value going down, if that's the sole reason someone is upset, then it is, in fact, a matter of greed frankly, and to be honest, I don't have much sympathy there. If it's a matter of pride, I see no reason to be upset, you still have exactly what you had before.
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    edited August 2009
    That's what one would call a matter of opinion. Myself? I'd consider spending $30 for something I can get for free through in game means to be a bit on the foolish side, I'd rather just hunt down the Dragon Orders, mind you, I don't care how rare, impressive, or even how fast it is, I wouldn't be caught dead with one of those foul creatures, but that's beside the point entirely. As for the monetary value going down, if that's the sole reason someone is upset, then it is, in fact, a matter of greed frankly, and to be honest, I don't have much sympathy there. If it's a matter of pride, I see no reason to be upset, you still have exactly what you had before.

LOL, talk about answering a post without addressing anything in it... We'll just have to disagree on this, i see it neither as matter of greed nor pride, that's only what you choose to make it about.
  • TheHunter_ - Sanctuary
    TheHunter_ - Sanctuary Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    well..only mount i have is swiftshadow..i a god damn barb why i even shud have a mount at all!! im the *king mount!! b:laugh

mounts r jst for show off! i dun need it..well ok they r good for getting from place to other..b:chuckle
    if im in hurry i use telestones!

if not..i set up afk fly! mounts = useless!

but if some1 wants to buy a mount..its his problem!! when this hellhound came..i sold 1 for some1 for 10mil coins!! b:laugh b:laugh
  • Coraline - Lost City
    Coraline - Lost City Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Also...I guess its like you have a Juicy Couture purse...they run for around $195 each and I have 5 of them..and then suddenly one day, the makers decide to lower the price to 20 bucks each, as a result EVERYONE will get one. Sure it will make me upset that i spent that much money on them only for them to be dirt cheap after I bought them. But I'll get over it and say hey, i like the purse and thats really all that matters. I just think if you worked that hard for the Dq horse, its because you liked it and not because its rare (hopefully). If you only did it because its rare, well then I guess you have to deal with the fact that its more open to other people.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

eatswithspoons "*roll eyes* real money for virtual property? That's definitely not allowed"

Lol what?
  • BratFury - Heavens Tear
    BratFury - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,293 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Also...I guess its like you have a Juicy Couture purse...they run for around $195 each and I have 5 of them..and then suddenly one day, the makers decide to lower the price to 20 bucks each, as a result EVERYONE will get one. Sure it will make me upset that i spent that much money on them only for them to be dirt cheap after I bought them. But I'll get over it and say hey, i like the purse and thats really all that matters. I just think if you worked that hard for the Dq horse, its because you liked it and not because its rare (hopefully). If you only did it because its rare, well then I guess you have to deal with the fact that its more open to other people.

Yes, and much like real life.. did you not "work" for the money to buy the said item? That seems to be what people are missing here. Unless its some 13 year old kid who got money from grandma for their birthday, they WORKED for the horse. Just in a different way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    edited August 2009
    I don't think fashion is an example that helps the pro CS horses camp... If your purses went from being in Saks to the discount bin in Walmart i'm not so sure you would keep using them or that any1 would rush to buy 1. Yeah I'm pretty sure the Channel/Gucci crowd would remain loyal to brands that started cattering to thrift stores and discount warehouses...
    edited August 2009
    And I would mock relentlessly anyone who would suddenly decide to stop using a purse they spent hundreds on just because most people can actually afford one. There's only two reasons to own something like that, either you simply like it, in which case it shouldn't matter if every other person on the planet owns one too, or you just want to feel superior to others by owning something they don't, in which case I have no sympathy.
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    edited August 2009
    And I would mock relentlessly anyone who would suddenly decide to stop using a purse they spent hundreds on just because most people can actually afford one. There's only two reasons to own something like that, either you simply like it, in which case it shouldn't matter if every other person on the planet owns one too, or you just want to feel superior to others by owning something they don't, in which case I have no sympathy.

Actually, the reason this could not happen in real life is couture usually means quality, something that doesn't come cheap. Yes it also means exclusivity... are you against intelectual property laws Rurik? You pay for the right to use a design few will be able to afford... by your logic everyone who doesn't buy their clothes at Walmart are pretentious snobs...
    edited August 2009
    My Wal Mart jeans last me an average of five years, that's quality enough for me, paying $200 for a pair of jeans just because they're put out by some fancy pants fashion designer is already enough to earn a good long mocking from me, assuming of course I can stop laughing long enough to speak. b:chuckle
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    edited August 2009
    My Wal Mart jeans last me an average of five years, that's quality enough for me, paying $200 for a pair of jeans just because they're put out by some fancy pants fashion designer is already enough to earn a good long mocking from me, assuming of course I can stop laughing long enough to speak. b:chuckle

If you use the same pair of Walmart jeans for five years then i'm not sure you're the 1 doing all the laughing, comrade.
    edited August 2009
    As long as they're not falling apart, I see no reason to throw away a perfectly good pair of jeans. They still fit, no holes in places I don't want holes to be, what holes there are can be patched, that's all I need in a pair of jeans. If anything I quite like my jeans more when they've got a few patches. As I said, you either buy something like a Goochie purse or whatever because you just like it, in which case it shouldn't matter to you if it's rare or not, or just because you want to feel superior to others, in the case of the former, go for it, though I'd still laugh in your face for paying more than $20 for a pair of jeans, in the case of the latter, as I said, I really have no sympathy.
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    edited August 2009
    Come on m8, a couple of holes are alright but patches?! You really go out in the street like that? In walmart jeans? b:surrender
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Come on m8, a couple of holes are alright but patches?! You really go out in the street like that? In walmart jeans? b:surrender

Would it be different if he had paid $1,800 dollars for those patched jeans from a couture house?
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
    edited August 2009
    Yep, and my clearance sale Fruit of the Loom T-Shirts, and clearance rack Route 66 hooded vest, my shoes are the most expensive thing I wear, and that's mainly because it's hard to find size 13 shoes that I like, and are also comfortable. I wear what I like, and I've yet to find any given pair of jeans that don't look exactly the same as my Wal Mart jeans but with a different, more expensive label.
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    edited August 2009
    Would it be different if he had paid $1,800 dollars for those patched jeans from a couture house?

No, it wouldn't. Patched jeans basically say to people you want to be laughed at. I mean unless its work clothes or something... so its alright for Rurik to mock other people?
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    No, it wouldn't. Patched jeans basically say to people you want to be laughed at. I mean unless its work clothes or something... so its alright for Rurik to mock other people?

I am not saying anything about what he said, I just asked if he bought the jeans like that from a couture house, if that would had made them ok to wear.

And you answered, so that is it :)

I do think people should wear what they like, or what they can, even if it is "wierd".

Not that long ago, even in the US, it was normal to have patched clothes... think the 20s, and the 40s, and the 50s... (those were for necessity), and the 80s (what can I say... they sure liked their patches on their clothes).
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
    edited August 2009

They can laugh at me all they want, I don't take offense. I laugh at me, I feel sorry for anyone who can't step back and laugh at themselves. b:victory
    edited August 2009

First off, you question weather he'd really go out.. In walmart jeans? That in itself spews SNOBBY RICH PERSON! There is nothing wrong with being rich, but there is something wrong with being snobby.

His concept for you that is so laughable, to him at least; is that you would spent 100.00 for a purse that looks no different than a knock off that cost 20.00. Do your friends actually inspect your purse to make sure its a real brand? If so, then I'd find new friends. His wal mart jeans look just like a regular pair of carpenters jeans from a brand label. They just don't have the name. The fact he'd rather pay 20.00 for a pair of jeans then 200.00 to you is a laughable concept?

By the way, I still have clothes from when I was 18. And I am 30. I have them just b/c I like them so much. 1 shirt even has a small hole in the bottom hem, it doesn't bother me, and I don't bother to patch it. The shirt isn't made anymore so I'm not pitching it til its plum worn out.

Your analogy is flawed at best, it just doesn't make sense to real down to earth ppl.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alphae - Lost City
    Alphae - Lost City Posts: 1,512 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    His concept for you that is so laughable, to him at least; is that you would spent 100.00 for a purse that looks no different than a knock off that cost 20.00. Do your friends actually inspect your purse to make sure its a real brand?

If you know much about knock-offs versus name brand purses, especially purses, it's rather obvious. They -don't- look the same. It's a matter of what you're willing to settle for.

I'd personally rather have 1 real Chanel/LV/D&B purse than 10 knock-offs. *shrugs*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FadedChaos - Heavens Tear
    FadedChaos - Heavens Tear Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    TBH Who Care's ??

Its a Horse in a computer game, much more important things in life to worry about rather than a bunch of pixels you never really own
    edited August 2009
    TBH Who Care's ??

Its a Horse in a computer game, much more important things in life to worry about rather than a bunch of pixels you never really own

Even better point, the pixels here you can never own. Everyone is upset.. let me explain something. Per the PW terms of service you don't even own what you have in your inventory. Things you've spent real money on. Everything within this game, your character and all its belongings belong to the company still.

You never own them. So everyone is upset about something that isn't even theirs to begin with. Weather or not you have a pixelated pony does not change the game. You can still play it just like you did BEFORE they went into the cash shop.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alphae - Lost City
    edited August 2009
    No one is upset about the horse. They're upset about the devaluing of the horse, and of their work.

Do try and see the other side of the coin. Again, don't have a horse and don't want one, my DOs are for late molds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    edited August 2009
    First off, you question weather he'd really go out.. In walmart jeans? That in itself spews SNOBBY RICH PERSON! There is nothing wrong with being rich, but there is something wrong with being snobby.

His concept for you that is so laughable, to him at least; is that you would spent 100.00 for a purse that looks no different than a knock off that cost 20.00. Do your friends actually inspect your purse to make sure its a real brand? If so, then I'd find new friends. His wal mart jeans look just like a regular pair of carpenters jeans from a brand label. They just don't have the name. The fact he'd rather pay 20.00 for a pair of jeans then 200.00 to you is a laughable concept?

By the way, I still have clothes from when I was 18. And I am 30. I have them just b/c I like them so much. 1 shirt even has a small hole in the bottom hem, it doesn't bother me, and I don't bother to patch it. The shirt isn't made anymore so I'm not pitching it til its plum worn out.

Your analogy is flawed at best, it just doesn't make sense to real down to earth ppl.

You so missed the point. Yeah, i may have gotten a bit carried away with the whole walmart jeans joke but if you go back and read the whole discussion you may realize that what we were talking about is the true value of things. I agree with Alphae, knock offs will never come close to the real thing, but if you can't tell the difference then by all means don't buy couture unless you want to be considered gauche. And btw i'm not a girl, so i've never owned a purse. I do like leather jackets tho, and while i do have a couple by Prada i also own some which i bought from local producers in small Mexican towns, what i look for is quality. I still have one that my father bought on a trip to Argentina some 40 years ago, i know how to take care of the things i have because i know what they're worth. I regularly lather my jackets with pumpkin soap and keep them well greased. And FYI i've lived amongst poor people, both in Europe and in North America. They don't patch their clothes, they take good care of them so they will last... Don't write me off as a snob because i appreciate luxury.

The whole point of this is about valuing effort. This is an mmo forum, meant to discuss stuff related to the game. Either you put in a lot of hours or you charge zen if you want to get nice ingame stuff. Rurik's point is that people upset at their mounts losing their value are either greedy or do not take pride in what they've acomplished. I disagree.
    edited August 2009

The whole point of this is about valuing effort. This is an mmo forum, meant to discuss stuff related to the game. Either you put in a lot of hours or you charge zen if you want to get nice ingame stuff. Rurik's point is that people upset at their mounts losing their value are either greedy or do not take pride in what they've acomplished. I disagree.

I disagree with you as well. If they worked hard for something so they could attain it, then they have the pride of what they attained and the item they worked so hard to attain. The value of it, is held within how they feel about the item. Not about its monetary value.

For those who are upset because they now can't turn around and make 16 million off the mount, well that is greed. The ends doesn't justify the means. PPl can argue this point til the world ends, it won't matter. If they got the mount to sell, well they should have sold it a bit faster, chances are that someone offered them 14 mil the day before instead of 16 and they turned it down. Either way you look at that, its greed. As I said in a prior thread, PW has took a corner on their own market; and those holding out to make their millions took a plunge much like the stock market.

There are worse things in life than losing 10 million on a pixel pony you never owned to begin with. Enjoy what you have.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alphae - Lost City
    edited August 2009
    I disagree with you as well. If they worked hard for something so they could attain it, then they have the pride of what they attained and the item they worked so hard to attain. The value of it, is held within how they feel about the item. Not about its monetary value.

For those who are upset because they now can't turn around and make 16 million off the mount, well that is greed. The ends doesn't justify the means. PPl can argue this point til the world ends, it won't matter. If they got the mount to sell, well they should have sold it a bit faster, chances are that someone offered them 14 mil the day before instead of 16 and they turned it down. Either way you look at that, its greed. As I said in a prior thread, PW has took a corner on their own market; and those holding out to make their millions took a plunge much like the stock market.

There are worse things in life than losing 10 million on a pixel pony you never owned to begin with. Enjoy what you have.

Think about it this way. Item X is a wearable item, and you want to own it. Your reasons are your own, but you wish to have it. It's expensive. It'll cost you a lot of money. You work for many hours and finally are able to purchase Item X, wearable item.

Then you stick it in your closet. After all, you have the pride in owning it! You don't need some silly item to show your effort and dedication! You already know how much effort you put out, and how dedicated you were! How silly to wish to display such a thing, it might be considered snobby, elitist, or rich!

In fact, when knock-off of Item X is made, Item Z, you go and buy it instead, and wear Item Z! After all, you have the pride of owning item X, and Item Z is kind of the same... yay!

I still maintain horses purchased with DOs should be differentiated in effect and possibly in speed/level req from horses purchased from the cash shop, for exactly this reason.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2009
    Think about it this way. Item X is a wearable item, and you want to own it. Your reasons are your own, but you wish to have it. It's expensive. It'll cost you a lot of money. You work for many hours and finally are able to purchase Item X, wearable item.

Then you stick it in your closet. After all, you have the pride in owning it! You don't need some silly item to show your effort and dedication! You already know how much effort you put out, and how dedicated you were! How silly to wish to display such a thing, it might be considered snobby, elitist, or rich!

In fact, when knock-off of Item X is made, Item Z, you go and buy it instead, and wear Item Z! After all, you have the pride of owning item X, and Item Z is kind of the same... yay!

I still maintain horses purchased with DOs should be differentiated in effect and possibly in speed/level req from horses purchased from the cash shop, for exactly this reason.

Maybe. But it continues to amaze me how many people can't be happy with what they have b/c they earned it. You can use this analogy with real life with cars, homes and anything else. Things over time lose their value. Thats just part of life. And this did happen to me in this very game where clothing is concerned. My black bikini top went from value of 4 mil to 1 mil in a matter of hours... thats just how it is. But other ppl were made happy by the implementation. Price of pigments went up for 2 or 3 days, especially random. It kind of balanced out....

This is just a game, and some ppl forget the most important part. Just play and enjoy it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alphae - Lost City
    edited August 2009
    No, I agree that by and by people are never happy.

I'm just saying in this instance they have a right to be, and it's ignorant to say they don't.

And just because they're upset doesn't mean anything will be done about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Even better point, the pixels here you can never own. Everyone is upset.. let me explain something. Per the PW terms of service you don't even own what you have in your inventory. Things you've spent real money on. Everything within this game, your character and all its belongings belong to the company still.

You never own them. So everyone is upset about something that isn't even theirs to begin with. Weather or not you have a pixelated pony does not change the game. You can still play it just like you did BEFORE they went into the cash shop.
    ^^~this~^^
    No one is upset about the horse. They're upset about the devaluing of the horse, and of their work.

Do try and see the other side of the coin. Again, don't have a horse and don't want one, my DOs are for late molds.

worry about the value of the horse
    sounds like greed to me
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    edited August 2009

Stop the contradiction! You want people to apreciate how they "feel" about what you yourself admit are just pixels?! Where's the logic on that?

If someone actually charged, say, $50-$100 to get the mount you expect them not to feel somewhat cheated? Maybe you're the one who's a snob that doesn't appreciate the value of effort/money... I'm sure that if you were getting zen for this game from a burger king job you might feel inclined to "feel" a bit different about this issue... or do you consider that putting money on this game is wasteful? cuz if you don't then you might have to open yourself to the posibility that is not wrong for people to expect that the expensive items they obtain should hold some of their value. It wasn't the market or bad calls that made their investments worthless.