At long last, lev 80 as a FAC

Comments

• ExELFine - Heavens Tear
    ExELFine - Heavens Tear Posts: 362 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    MystiMonk wrote:
    I would say any cleric can do this at 80 if they lvl up their attack skills.I much prefer the AoE cleric as you are killing more around you.

An AoE cleric? One who only maxes their AoE skills??? Hehe, I bet they don't get very far in the game :)

Attack all the surrounding mobs and see what happens... No, seriously, AoE skills are also vital to the FAC, although I'm not too keen on Razor Wings (even if I'm maxing it), I much prefer Siren's Kiss even if it costs a spark to use.

sorbik wrote:
    If you wanna be bad then be bad
    don't ****ing brag about it

You can always express your opinion, it is only much more pleasant to read when you do so in a civilized manner otherwise, it's a plain lack of creativity.

Mizuoni wrote:
    i miss the good old days when i was a squishy wiz and died all the time
    i was able to go into faction chat and say ress plz
    Mikinori, a good friend of mine, would go oh no miz not again
    she would come and ress me. Thanks to her lvl 10 ress i was able to get back into action without losing much of what i had attempted to grind.

Yep and I miss the good old days too when clerics were appreciated for their kind gestures. Nowadays, being a carebear is something shameful, and being used and abused is something we are required to accept. Go figure.
    I'm guessing lvl 80 as a FAC is an accomplishment. Most clerics want to participate in parties and other group activities. In order to get a spot they lose this mindset and restat some vit to spend time with friends. I seen clerics heal and DD at the same time on a boss. It is amazing to watch. Stack a few ironhearts on the tank, wield thunder, cyclone, plume shot, more heals. I believe a cleric who is able to do this has truly mastered the class. Being able to keep the tank alive AND DD at the same time, is what makes clerics unique.

Exactly, and it makes the game a lot more fun for everyone involved.
    Imo
    i think you should consider a vit hybrid build
    that way you can open many doors instead of staying shut inside of one room

I'm not sure I would agree with this statement that so many share with you. I do spam-heal and buff when required, assist-attack, AoE and RB when needed as well. But I'm no tank, even tho I do have to get my own quests done, by myself preferably. Far from limiting myself, on the contrary. I think full healers are the ones who are limited.

AngelofLust wrote
    :
    I don't see the point of fac if you wanna DD then be a wiz they have more dps and dmg I'm only 2 lvls higher then you and my stats are significantly better...

I'll assume thats my gear cause I have 20 vit the rest is all pumped into mag pretty similar to your build...

The stats I have posted for my cleric are raw, whereas yours include your equipment. Big difference :) and also, you're 3 levels higher, not 2 :)

Cosmos wrote:
    I don't quite understand why FACs always insist on the posting of their stats - you have the exact same stats as a regular full-magic Cleric. The. Exact. Same.

Whatever you say but the difference lies in our choice of equipment, bonuses and gems.
    I'm a normal full-magic Cleric and I have:

Maxed attack skills (bar Wield Thunder and Tempest, WT isn't possible for me yet and I'm not touching Tempest until later)
    Maxed buffs (incl. AoE versions)
    Maxed Ironheart and fairly well levelled other heals
    Level 10 Revive
    Level 9 Purify
    Blue Bubble
    Red Bubble

You never mentioned seals, debuffs and metal mastery, and you don't have WT and Tempest: without those, I fail to see what kind of damage you can inflict. It would truly be interesting to have a test as to whether which one of us can deal more damage :)
    If we were both on the battlefield at an equal level, my Wield Thunder would be doing the same damage as your Wield Thunder, my Cyclone would do the same damage as your Cyclone. The only different being is that I would be able to support my team - properly support - with strong heals, blue bubble, purifying, most things a FAC isn't capable of doing.

My WT does a lot more damage than yours, first because it is a metal skill and my Metal Mastery is maxed, second because of my gear and third but not last, my genie's metal skills support/enhance my own. Same goes for Cyclone which is also a metal skill. And, I agree that you should keep yourself busy with healing and purifying, I'm sure you're doing a great job at that.

One last note on being team supportive: what happens when, in minor instances, your team members don't really need healing or rezzing and you are left standing there waiting for them to order you around? That's the difference between a traditional healer and a FAC: instead of just standing there, I can deal pretty good damage so that the boss dies faster and everyone's happy. If that's not team support, I wonder what is.

I only wish people would stop knocking FACs by calling us selfish and non-supportive because it's just not true.

Would you accuse a barb or a tank for being selfish? Or any other class for that matter? We all play with the team's best interests at heart, the FAC as much as any other.

Well, back to the game, have fun all :)
    [SIGPIC]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff122/dart2005/PWI/july05.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    Crafting:
    Tailor: lev 7
    Blacksmith: lev 6
    Craftsman: lev 6
    Apothicary: lev 5
    SEMI to 7/8 RETIRED, not from PW but from PWI :)
  • Cosmos - Heavens Tear
    Cosmos - Heavens Tear Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    You never mentioned seals, debuffs and metal mastery, and you don't have WT and Tempest: without those, I fail to see what kind of damage you can inflict. It would truly be interesting to have a test as to whether which one of us can deal more damage :)

I wrote it wrong - my Wield Thunder is only level 8, and I meant I am unable to get level 9 or 10 yet because of my level (I had to type my post out twice as the first one errored and the second time I rushed it.) I have level 1 Tempest, seeing as it costs 2 sparks each time to cast, it doesn't add very much to your overall DPS. Maybe a few hundred - and that's being generous.

Just because I didn't mention the seals or debuffs doesn't mean I don't have them. My Metal Mastery is 9, Elemental Seal is maxed, Dimensional Seal is level 7 due to cash issues. I'll admit the other two seals aren't very high - but I never find the need to use them, simply because when grinding I never do and when I party the tanks are generally decent enough to hold most aggro, meaning the other seals aren't used.

Also, I need to ask, WHAT exactly is the difference in our bonuses/gems? I have a 5% crit rate and use an Ashura's Sign +1 (and this isn't because I'm support - it's because I can't afford to go any higher. I will go to +4/5 with my 80 weapon) with 2 sockets, each socket having a +MAtt gem. All my equipment has +Magic bonuses (bar my rings which have +1% Crit) and Vitality as a secondary, with each piece using +HP gems.
    One last note on being team supportive: what happens when, in minor instances, your team members don't really need healing or rezzing and you are left standing there waiting for them to order you around? That's the difference between a traditional healer and a FAC: instead of just standing there, I can deal pretty good damage so that the boss dies faster and everyone's happy. If that's not team support, I wonder what is.

..this is just silly. Of course we (well, I) don't stand around doing nothing. If the tank only needs an Ironheart every now and again I'll debuff and attack almost continuously. Hell, I do that even if the tank needs a lot of heals - Ironheart, Ironheart, debuff, WT, repeat.

-

I can understand it's how you wish to play the game and that's fine - but saying that when people ask for a Cleric they should first ask the Cleric what build they are is ridiculous. OF COURSE when people ask for a Cleric they mean a healing Cleric - it's common sense. It's down to the FAC to inform teams of what they are, not the other way round.

As far as I'm concerned I stand by what I said - a FAC is simply a gimped regular Cleric, that's my own personal opinion on the matter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    Nelae - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    An AoE cleric? One who only maxes their AoE skills??? Hehe, I bet they don't get very far in the game :)

Attack all the surrounding mobs and see what happens... No, seriously, AoE skills are also vital to the FAC, although I'm not too keen on Razor Wings (even if I'm maxing it), I much prefer Siren's Kiss even if it costs a spark to use.

AoE with a cleric aint a joke, you wanting SK not razor is a joke...

This is one of the reason you FAC's phail, if i or any other normal cleric dont need to heal, we attack, and guess what with maxed Tempest, Wielded Thunder, maxed Mastery and with debuffs.

So tell me again why are you special?
    b:dirty
  • Ahira - Lost City
    Ahira - Lost City Posts: 791 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Would you accuse a barb or a tank for being selfish? Or any other class for that matter?

It would be funny if you had to party 2 barbs because one refuse to tank because its full attack barb! b:chuckle
    --Retired--

Factions: Forbiden, Genesis, Conqueror, BloodLust, Zen, Spectral
    Active October 2008- August 2009; Semi-active- May 2010
    edited August 2009
    Many of you seem pretty confused as to what skills are more efficient to an attack cleric and therefore, go for the easiest choice -- being happy just to buff, heal and rez -- which makes the game less complicated for you, and gains you many friends as they become utterly dependant on your skills.

I respect your choice but, in my case, there is nothing wrong in wanting to explore a different build further and really work at it, so you could respect my choice as well, and keep an open mind about it instead of blasting my statements with dismissive comments. After all, it's just a game thank goodness, I don't take it personally.

Many of you mention other classes' traditional builds, but I'm sure you've encountered all kinds of different builds in every class, so why get so bundled up every time a player choses to build an attack cleric instead of a full healer one?

We should all keep in mind that if clerics were intended as "healbots" only, they wouldn't have attack skills in the first place. But attack skills are not a FAC's forte, seals and debuffs are and, the success of a cleric's attack is in the combo (sequence of skills). Effective combos make the difference between death and survival and, as the saying goes (different strokes for different folks) a combo for physical mobs will differ from a combo for magic ones (PvE), whereas in PvP, it's a whole different approach depending on what class we are confronting. As well, you don't throw an AoE skill on a heavy populated mob area unless you're confident you can all one-shot them. Kiting is another way to survive while using GC and eventually bring the mob down.

Playing a FAC is all about being creative and there's nothing boring about it -- except the usual grindfest which affects everyone in the game -- and remember, there's a real person behind each character and maybe that person just wants a bit of fun while also being helpful to others, in their own special ways.

Have a nice week-end all :)
    [SIGPIC]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff122/dart2005/PWI/july05.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    Crafting:
  • Bagoly_ - Sanctuary
    Bagoly_ - Sanctuary Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    ...go for the easiest choice -- being happy just to buff, heal and rez -- which makes the game less complicated for you, and gains you many friends as they become utterly dependant on your skills.

...or go for the hardest choice, which is the path of the pro cleric - buffing, healing, rezing in the heat of a battle, and dealing damage, debuffing, etc. Being good means being able to do different kind of stuff and being able to perform well in every situation imho.
    Many of you mention other classes' traditional builds, but I'm sure you've encountered all kinds of different builds in every class, so why get so bundled up every time a player choses to build an attack cleric instead of a full healer one?

"Traditional builds" become meaningless after a certain point when everyone get surplus SP. A good veno can use both human and fox skills efficiently, a good bm can act as a bodyguard, a mob controller, a DD, whatever... not just perform well in one role.
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2009
    Many of you seem pretty confused as to what skills are more efficient to an attack cleric and therefore, go for the easiest choice -- being happy just to buff, heal and rez -- which makes the game less complicated for you, and gains you many friends as they become utterly dependant on your skills.

I respect your choice but, in my case, there is nothing wrong in wanting to explore a different build further and really work at it, so you could respect my choice as well, and keep an open mind about it instead of blasting my statements with dismissive comments. After all, it's just a game thank goodness, I don't take it personally.

We should all keep in mind that if clerics were intended as "healbots" only, they wouldn't have attack skills in the first place. But attack skills are not a FAC's forte, seals and debuffs are and, the success of a cleric's attack is in the combo (sequence of skills). Effective combos make the difference between death and survival and, as the saying goes (different strokes for different folks) a combo for physical mobs will differ from a combo for magic ones (PvE), whereas in PvP, it's a whole different approach depending on what class we are confronting. As well, you don't throw an AoE skill on a heavy populated mob area unless you're confident you can all one-shot them. Kiting is another way to survive while using GC and eventually bring the mob down.

Playing a FAC is all about being creative and there's nothing boring about it -- except the usual grindfest which affects everyone in the game -- and remember, there's a real person behind each character and maybe that person just wants a bit of fun while also being helpful to others, in their own special ways.

Have a nice week-end all :)

You dont like to read, dont ya?

Debuffs and attacks, jeez i have them (and 2mill unused spirit), and i wonder what skill combo you use thats so different. Please explain so we can see lol.

And omg i have a hard feeling you never aoe grinded. That would explain that part of your post.

FACs are not creative, clerics who can heal and attack when its the most hardest to do, they are creative. b:bye
  • Cosmos - Heavens Tear
    Cosmos - Heavens Tear Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited August 2009

Did you actually read any of the posts above yours..? Most Clerics, yes, have all the heals, buffs and rez, but they also have the debuffs, attack skills and metal mastery.

Of course the success of it's attack is in the combo. All classes success is in the combo.

As for the part I bolded, you're making it seem like it's actually hard to defeat things in this game. It's really, really not. When it comes to a physical mob all you need to do is throw an Ironheart somewhere in your usual combo. It's simple. No mob takes more than 5 spells to defeat and that's usually only on the metal mobs. Everything else dies in 3-4 hits. Debuffing them and then attacking is only a waste of time in these cases.

I'm not quite sure you understand what AoE grinding entails for a Cleric either, so I won't touch on what you said about that. It has nothing to do with throwing an AoE into a big mob you find.
    ...or go for the hardest choice, which is the path of the pro cleric - buffing, healing, rezing in the heat of a battle, and dealing damage, debuffing, etc. Being good means being able to do different kind of stuff and being able to perform well in every situation imho.

I second this, word for word.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bagoly_ - Sanctuary
    edited August 2009
    Debuffs and attacks, jeez i have them (and 2mill unused spirit)...

Omg how? I mean you're just 2 lvl higher than me, I'm far from my goal on the debuff tree and I can't even dream about 2 mil unused spirit.

<-- Wanna know your secret. b:cute
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2009
    Omg how? I mean you're just 2 lvl higher than me, I'm far from my goal on the debuff tree and I can't even dream about 2 mil unused spirit.

<-- Wanna know your secret. b:cute

On lv73 as you are, used my genie as an exp sink, on prior lvs used dieing to do that. As of reason why, is money making. Found good mobs to AoE grind, make 150k+ coins an hour and why pass a good thing if you dont have to ;p.
    And doing so, spirit build up. Same thing i am gonna do now.
  • Bagoly_ - Sanctuary
    edited August 2009
    Found good mobs to AoE grind, make 150k+ coins an hour and why pass a good thing if you dont have to ;p.
    And doing so, spirit build up. Same thing i am gonna do now.

Oh, I do the petali-genocide-thing b:laugh and I don't spend a single coin on justice or crazy stone, the reason is same as yours.
    Although genie feeding... leveling slowly is good option for me, but to stop leveling... b:shocked
  • Jahailad - Lost City
    Jahailad - Lost City Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited August 2009

As to Purify, with those mobs, we don't need it to be high. One of the reasons being that, before those Petallis can do their thing, we get them stunned/paralyzed/silenced and go right away for the group kill.

um i have almost 3k buffed hp and 10k wood resist when i grind these mobs
    i grind 30+ at a time usually
    my purify and ironheart are maxed
    and i still die occasionally
  • Slake - Lost City
    Slake - Lost City Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Jaha pwns! :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GotTold.com

Sup?
  • KillerKleric - Sanctuary
    KillerKleric - Sanctuary Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Congrats on making it so far! I rolled FAC as an alt because it sounded like fun, and have never regretted it.
  • Alyyy - Sanctuary
    Alyyy - Sanctuary Posts: 3,165 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Congrats on making it so far! I rolled FAC as an alt because it sounded like fun, and have never regretted it.

i told u ingame what i think <.<....

facs are a fail
    Clerics are like cops...they always seem to be around.....until you actually need one b:surrender - DeadRaven
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vu014
    vu014 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    As many has stated before, the game does NOT have a RIGID restriction on your skills, therefore you have the possibility to max ALL skills. Your refusal to level certain (healing-based) skills when given the gold/SP is just stupid, as you are just gimping yourself. b:thanks
    There is no such thing as FAC, a FAC is just a gimped full MAG cleric. A full MAG cleric that also levelled healing spells can do everything you do and then some. I don't understand why you are bragging about chosing to be a gimp, and asking others to congratulate you for your idiocy and even worse advising others to gimp themselves. I can understand that if you're limited by $$ or SP to follow your FAC path, but once you get the $$ and SP, there's no reason to leave the healing skills unlevelled. If you do you're just a fool and not getting the full potential out of your class.b:chuckle

FAC is like a wizard calling himself a fire mage and ignoring the water and earth spells. So what if he has to cast 10 spells to kill fire resistant monsters versus 2 water spells, he feels special because he is a Full Fire mage. Big whoop. Idiot FAC clerics.
    edited August 2009
    vu014 wrote: »
    ...Idiot FAC clerics.

I just love it when a poster like you choses to remain anonymous when uselessly blasting someone's topic. You being entitled to your own opinion, are gimping yourself of doing so openly... thereby losing valuable credit to your opinion, what a shame! You have just demonstrated what an idiot is all about, thank you.

b:pleased
    Crafting:
  • ilystah
    ilystah Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited August 2009

I just love it when a poster like you choses to remain anonymous when uselessly blasting someone's topic. You being entitled to your own opinion, are gimping yourself of doing so openly... thereby losing valuable credit to your opinion, what a shame! You have just demonstrated what an idiot is all about, thank you.

vu014's insult reduce her respectability by a lot, but that does not invalidate her argument. Her argument is valid and I agree with it. Consider myself making the same argument too, so that your ad hominem won't work.
  • Impetus - Lost City
    Impetus - Lost City Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    why must clerics gimp themselves... refusing to skill heals or bb is like refusing to cure cancer when you know how to
  • Dandelyn - Heavens Tear
    Dandelyn - Heavens Tear Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Your build is built for your style of gaming. You sound like you know what you're doing so what's everyone's problem? Just because you have a unique role and they're not used to it they have to complain? Don't worry about what anyone thinks as long as the squads you're in accommodate for your strengths and weaknesses (we all have them).

It sounds like you would be a nightmare to fight against in TW/Squad PVP. What classes/builds do you prefer in your squad?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jahailad - Lost City
    Jahailad - Lost City Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    why would you choose not to lvl everything you have
    every skill of a cleric is usefull (except a couple like thunderball and purehearted)
    like your in a squad with 2 clerics a FAC and a cleric who uses every skill
    cleric with lvl 10 res dies and has to suffer massive exp loss because of the FAC
    then the FAC with lvl 1 res dies what do you do
    pay him back by not ressing him

why should he/she get the benefits of your res when he/she wont give you the benefits of theirs
    FACs are jerks who decide to leave real clerics with all the work
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2009
    Your build is built for your style of gaming. You sound like you know what you're doing so what's everyone's problem? Just because you have a unique role and they're not used to it they have to complain? Don't worry about what anyone thinks as long as the squads you're in accommodate for your strengths and weaknesses (we all have them).

It sounds like you would be a nightmare to fight against in TW/Squad PVP. What classes/builds do you prefer in your squad?

Sorry but you have no clue what so ever...
    edited August 2009

Thanks for your intelligent reply: it brings a refreshing note to this otherwise FAC-bashing sorry clique of anonymous posters.
    It sounds like you would be a nightmare to fight against in TW/Squad PVP.

I'm looking forward to that as well, hehe...
    What classes/builds do you prefer in your squad?

It all depends on which types of encounters we are dealing with. In certain types, Wizards are a must whereas in others, strong Barbs or arcane Venos can do a better job. I also look for a good primary Healer, who's health bar and survival I usually watch very closely. I also appreciate Archers who can easily sneak away from AoE attacks. But first and foremost, I like intelligent people who know what they're doing and are good at it...

For example, non-herc Venos can be surprisingly more efficient at pulling and fox-types at tanking, and so on. I even saw a cleric who specialized in pulling, hehe. So long as everyone knows what each player is doing, everything falls into place smoothly.

Flexibility and versatility are PW's two very strong assets and that's why I enjoy playing it.

Crafting:
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Sits back with popcorn.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2009
    Thanks for your intelligent reply: it brings a refreshing note to this otherwise FAC-bashing sorry clique of anonymous posters.

It all depends on which types of encounters we are dealing with. In certain types, Wizards are a must whereas in others, strong Barbs or arcane Venos can do a better job. I also look for a good primary Healer, who's health bar and survival I usually watch very closely. I also appreciate Archers who can easily sneak away from AoE attacks. But first and foremost, I like intelligent people who know what they're doing and are good at it...

For example, non-herc Venos can be surprisingly more efficient at pulling and fox-types at tanking, and so on. I even saw a cleric who specialized in pulling, hehe. So long as everyone knows what each player is doing, everything falls into place smoothly.

Flexibility and versatility are PW's two very strong assets and that's why I enjoy playing it.

You are still very much clueless....
  • Ahira - Lost City
    Ahira - Lost City Posts: 791 Arc User
    edited August 2009

Your build has more than decent resistance to flamers too! b:mischievous
    --Retired--

Factions: Forbiden, Genesis, Conqueror, BloodLust, Zen, Spectral
    Active October 2008- August 2009; Semi-active- May 2010
  • Lenyel - Harshlands
    Lenyel - Harshlands Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited August 2009

How can you be so versatile if you deprive yourself of all healing type skills? b:surrender
    Your build has more than decent resistance to flamers too! b:mischievous

So true b:victory
    edited October 2009
    Well, well... now that I've reached 83 and got my stuns/seals and nukes maxed (minus 1 lev for Chrom and 2 lev for Temp), I can think about getting some valued squad goodies. Hmm... I just did: got BB -- but in order to get it, had to get a squad heal and some other high consuming healing skill. This is about the only concession I'm making tho, because I feel the fun is just about to start.

And still 3 vit... oh my!

Oh yes, I re-statted my lev 82.7 genie and gave it Rainbow Blessing: great for crit (and random Phys/Mag attack)

b:chuckle
    Crafting:
  • Slake - Lost City
    Slake - Lost City Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    cool story hansel!

Is this a necro?... i feel it is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GotTold.com

Sup?
  • Ewings - Heavens Tear
    Ewings - Heavens Tear Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    There is no such thing as a FAC past 80, you have enough points to raise the other skills, if you dont raise them that just means you are under utilizing your chars full potential, you can always raise em and refuse to use em all the time. But yeah you are full magic build, i used to be that till 90.... then vit seemed attractive to survive those darn venos and archers.