EVENT: PWI Wiki Kickoff Contest!(no more submissions)

Comments

• Atheeni - Heavens Tear
    Atheeni - Heavens Tear Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Hey Spoons, just wondering are you guys looking at the histories on the pages that are being created as well? I added a new page to the Guides section called Baby Pet Guide, you can see the link if you go here:
    http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Guides

I added it this morning and uploaded all my pictures to it that I took screenshots of and edited, added info on crafting the pets etc. Now I come back this evening to read over it for spelling errors and I find my entire guide has been completely deleted by another user and on top of that that same user has stolen my information that I put up claiming it as theirs (this is namely the location areas at the bottom because they are in the exact same order and have the same coordinates that I specificly picked out of the PWDatabase for my guide). I took the liberty to undo this change and restored my guide to it's original state (as you can see in the history for that page). Is this something that is being considered because I'm sure there will be plenty more such deletions etc.

I did send my original guide via e-mail as a pdf but I'm just kinda frustrated a bit because I put a lot of work into my guides and I assumed editors would have the common decency to create their own guides if they feel they can do it better not trash someone else's.

Edit: Taking another look at the guide again the user basically copied my entire guide including the layout and claimed it as their own. Also there is a separate entry that can be found here:
    http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Baby_Pets
    That is an unlinked page where the user has originally posted their guide but then felt the need to delete mine and cover up what they copied. Perhaps this user should learn how to link separate pages on the main link guide instead deleting the work of others?

Edit2: Now he's stealing my pictures that I uploaded and hasn't even had the decency to credit me for my work... sorry for the edit spam... I'm a bit mad b:angryb:surrender

Edit3: Grrrrr... very mad squishy wizard.... gonna go kill some buzzards with some pyrograms to blow off steam... excuse me... last edit I promise. Sorry spoons <3
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Yeah we're taking that into consideration. As the contest states if the information is not original it will not be considered.

We were hoping that people would be considerate of other peoples content. Usually if only the link has been deleted the guide will still exist on the wiki.

If the issue is that there is only one guide link per section, everyone should feel free to add a link to their own guides in the main topic at the top.

Question: when you make a new guide, is there an option to "protect" listed at the top of the page?
  • Atheeni - Heavens Tear
    Atheeni - Heavens Tear Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Nah I added the link my self under the guides but the person went to the actual page that was created and removed all my contents and put his in it's place (which in the end was still my content but less fluent and grammatical lol).

This is what I mean... in the history you see all my changes, then a change by a user (which is when the deletion happened) then me restoring the change.
    http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php?title=Baby_Pet_Guide&action=history

Sadly no protect button all I have is:
    page discussion create watch
    when a new page is made and none of the icons above the text area have it either.

It's ok... guess it can't be helped.

Well in any case thanks so much for the assurance ^^ b:victory
  • Kittennice - Heavens Tear
    Kittennice - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Quick question.

If I started a guide but someone arleady editted and put the information on there, what do I do?

I would feel wrong to edit it. But then again, I did start itb:shocked...
    The VenoX: Heavy Pure Melee (Axe User with a hint of magic) Venomancer and Proud
    Having fun since lv1
    5 more levels baby!
    ^_____^
    {=^.^=} < I'll never give up. Never give in. )

I'm for The Cursed!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=656132
  • Centetric - Lost City
    Centetric - Lost City Posts: 1,528 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Question: when you make a new guide, is there an option to "protect" listed at the top of the page?

you must request a lock from an admin. Since ur so kind and u help me alot ill give u a link to the site.

Click here for the link

maybe u can even ask to be an admin to the pwi wiki
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Through the darkness light can always emerge, it is only when the unwilling come upon this light that fear takes over. Emerging from this darkness takes more then courage, it takes faith in ones own mind and more importantly in ones own heart. To deny the light is to deny yourself the feeling of true happiness and true peace within your own soul. Denying your own happiness and your own soul is denying all that one has to live for."
    ~RedsRose
  • Jonnykins - Dreamweaver
    Jonnykins - Dreamweaver Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Quick question.

If I started a guide but someone arleady editted and put the information on there, what do I do?

I would feel wrong to edit it. But then again, I did start itb:shocked...

b:shocked Not come to that point. So far when I've been adding stuff, I usually put a small note its work in progress as such and so far its worked
  • Istarwyn - Sanctuary
    Istarwyn - Sanctuary Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    oooooooooohhhhhhh I feel an addiction comming along

Thank god WQ and wiki work well together haha
    edited August 2009
    oooooooooohhhhhhh I feel an addiction comming along

Thank god WQ and wiki work well together haha

Ya, yesterday my WQ took 12 hours to do, with doing other things and wikib:victory
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    What do people think of adding a 'mechanics' section to the main page?
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    We were hoping that people would be considerate of other peoples content. Usually if only the link has been deleted the guide will still exist on the wiki.

If the issue is that there is only one guide link per section, everyone should feel free to add a link to their own guides in the main topic at the top.

I have been thinking of adding to your guide for "crafting". However, its already too big, and should probably be split out into five our six guides (four for production skills -- each deserves its own gide, and one or two for harvesting and drops.)

But if I create new pages and split them out, I would be stomping all over the current page's history and everyone else's work... so should this kind of treatment be postponed until after the contest?
    edited August 2009
    b:shocked Not come to that point. So far when I've been adding stuff, I usually put a small note its work in progress as such and so far its worked

I decided to make another page. Hopefully no one tampered with it. I also put what you said^^
    The VenoX: Heavy Pure Melee (Axe User with a hint of magic) Venomancer and Proud
    Having fun since lv1
    5 more levels baby!
    ^_____^

I'm for The Cursed!
    edited August 2009
    Well I am done mine: World Quest (Quest for Lv70+)

Someone used the page I made so I made another one if that's alright.
    Having fun since lv1
    5 more levels baby!
    ^_____^

I'm for The Cursed!
  • JollyJaguar - Sanctuary
    JollyJaguar - Sanctuary Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Centetric - Lost City
    edited August 2009
    [b:angry someone deleted my links on my page i have to find them all over again b:cry b:cry

and my signature.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Through the darkness light can always emerge, it is only when the unwilling come upon this light that fear takes over. Emerging from this darkness takes more then courage, it takes faith in ones own mind and more importantly in ones own heart. To deny the light is to deny yourself the feeling of true happiness and true peace within your own soul. Denying your own happiness and your own soul is denying all that one has to live for."
    ~RedsRose
    edited August 2009
    [b:angry someone deleted my links on my page i have to find them all over again b:cry b:cry

and my signature.

Any page that I do I save a hard copy on my laptop in notepad, that way if it does go awol you can just copy and paste it backb:pleased
    edited August 2009
    Any page that I do I save a hard copy on my laptop in notepad, that way if it does go awol you can just copy and paste it backb:pleased

Yep, that's the best way to do it.

@Centetric: I hope you don't have to search the internet all again. You can go in your internet history if you didn't delete it that is.
    Having fun since lv1
    5 more levels baby!
    ^_____^

I'm for The Cursed!
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    done a few edits on my wizard guide (spelling, grammer etc)
    is it ok if i link some skills to the skill list?
    i would do it but not sure if its allowed
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
  • Lairian - Sanctuary
    Lairian - Sanctuary Posts: 8,209 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Not sure how helpful it is, but here's my Gold Trading guide

http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Gold_trading

Hopefully there's nothing wrong with it. It was kinda done pretty fast, compared to some of the others out there, but hopefully it'll help someone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Be nice to people
  • Centetric - Lost City
    edited August 2009
    Yep, that's the best way to do it.

@Centetric: I hope you don't have to search the internet all again. You can go in your internet history if you didn't delete it that is.

I had to search it all over again -_-

b:cry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~RedsRose
  • Centetric - Lost City
    edited August 2009
    Not sure how helpful it is, but here's my Gold Trading guide

http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Gold_trading

Hopefully there's nothing wrong with it. It was kinda done pretty fast, compared to some of the others out there, but hopefully it'll help someone.

um were did u put that guide(section plz)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~RedsRose
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2009
    I've added it in under 'new players' since it didn't seem to go anywhere else.

I've also just realised - I (and others) have uploaded a whole pile of icons from the game.

I *presume* this is ok, but can we get an official statement on that?
    edited August 2009
    done a few edits on my wizard guide (spelling, grammer etc)
    is it ok if i link some skills to the skill list?
    i would do it but not sure if its allowed

Don't see why not, its all there to help each otherb:victory
  • Lairian - Sanctuary
    Lairian - Sanctuary Posts: 8,209 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    um were did u put that guide(section plz)

I'm not actually sure. Sorry, but I'm really new to this kind of thing, so I don't know where (or how) to link it too. b:surrender If you know how, and have a place to put it, please do so. Or at lease drop me a pm telling me these things, and I'll do it.

If you want to find it now without that link, then just use the search feature. That's what I do, anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Be nice to people
  • Maiya - Lost City
    Maiya - Lost City Posts: 2,686 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I have some user continously editing a guide I wrote with false information.

Changing... Ancient Boa

Cost: 50 Gold (1st Sale), 40 Gold (2nd Sale) to Cost: 40 Gold (1st Sale), 40 Gold (2nd Sale)

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=67702&highlight=ancient&page=6

Where it states it was $50. How is it disagreeing with what someone wrote when what was wrote is cold, hard fact?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2009
    I had to search it all over again -_-

b:cry

b:shocked OMG

Make sure you favorite sites next time.

-Hands a cookie- Not much but it will help
    Having fun since lv1
    5 more levels baby!
    ^_____^

I'm for The Cursed!
  • Centetric - Lost City
    edited August 2009
    b:shocked OMG

Make sure you favorite sites next time.

-Hands a cookie- Not much but it will help

*munches on cookie* WHOA that tastes so good can i have another

b:dirty
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~RedsRose
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2009
    Ok, adding the icons is *useful* but they're not actually mine. Just want to be sure it's ok.
    edited August 2009
    *munches on cookie* WHOA that tastes so good can i have another

b:dirty

-Gives you a bag full of cookies-
    Having fun since lv1
    5 more levels baby!
    ^_____^

I'm for The Cursed!
    edited August 2009
    Gah!b:shocked My picture changed. Someone else has the same upload file name as mine and the picture switched.

It looks like we all have to have different names for our uploads. Double check everyone.
    Having fun since lv1
    5 more levels baby!
    ^_____^

I'm for The Cursed!
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2009
    Gah!b:shocked My picture changed. Someone else has the same upload file name as mine and the picture switched.

It looks like we all have to have different names for our uploads. Double check everyone.

It does warn you when you try to upload, but yes.
    I think names like "CubeOfFate_Confirm" would be better than just "Confirm", reduce the chance of collisions, no?

(And I just uploaded a HUGE pile of things named 'coal' etc. Huh. Oh well, I guess the only possible collision is with an in-game picture of the mine)