EVENT: PWI Wiki Kickoff Contest!(no more submissions)

Comments

• Kittennice - Heavens Tear
    Kittennice - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    It does warn you when you try to upload, but yes.
    I think names like "CubeOfFate_Confirm" would be better than just "Confirm", reduce the chance of collisions, no?

(And I just uploaded a HUGE pile of things named 'coal' etc. Huh. Oh well, I guess the only possible collision is with an in-game picture of the mine)

Good point. Sadly, I had Confirm as the first one and the person just uploaded it so my picture turned to the recent one. I just changed it to ConfirmX b:surrender I was kinda lazy but it worked and I got my picture back^^
    The VenoX: Heavy Pure Melee (Axe User with a hint of magic) Venomancer and Proud
    Having fun since lv1
    5 more levels baby!
    ^_____^
    {=^.^=} < I'll never give up. Never give in. )

I'm for The Cursed!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=656132
  • Jonnykins - Dreamweaver
    Jonnykins - Dreamweaver Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Gah!b:shocked My picture changed. Someone else has the same upload file name as mine and the picture switched.

It looks like we all have to have different names for our uploads. Double check everyone.

Well I choose to make mine quite long winded

etc.

BladeTempestSkillpic

usually it goes: What it is, then what type, then confirming its a pic
  • Istarwyn - Sanctuary
    Istarwyn - Sanctuary Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Hiya everyone!

btw if someone changed anything on the pages that you created, you can go into the history at the top and undo changes...normally...dont know if that is possible in this wiki.
    But only because someone changed a typo or added a pic or link your work is still saved and everyone can see what you did through the history.
    So dont go around deleting content that is helpful to your guides. Everyone can see that it is still your work.

As for pictures. Before anyone wants to upload a pic they should look under

special pages > unused files = for files that are not linked to any pages..maybe the right one is already there

or

special pages > file list = every uploaded file is listed there

Goes back to her wiz skill tables....
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    A good idea, especially with things like, say, monsters where you could usefully have multiple pictures of them, and a picture of them as they appear in the pet bag.

So some sort of convention would be a good idea, but it'll have to be up to someone else to rename all the thing I uploaded from "Coal.png" to "Coal_Icon.png"
  • Jonnykins - Dreamweaver
    Jonnykins - Dreamweaver Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    A good idea, especially with things like, say, monsters where you could usefully have multiple pictures of them, and a picture of them as they appear in the pet bag.

So some sort of convention would be a good idea, but it'll have to be up to someone else to rename all the thing I uploaded from "Coal.png" to "Coal_Icon.png"

That part I really agree with, even "CoalIcon" would be suiting, just one word makes feel less organised
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I just want everyone to know that I've been receiving reports of malicious edits on the wiki.

If you are found to be erasing other peoples guides one or more times you will be receiving a game ban for 1 week for a first offense. In addition to this you will be disqualified from all wiki contests and have your editing privileges revoked.

EDIT: New Wiki policy! Click on the link below when you have finished a guide and you would like it to be locked from further editing. Note that you may request an unlock after if you need to insert more information. This would be one measure taken to prevent unauthorized edits to pages that are submitted for the wiki contest.

http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Request_for_Page_Lock
  • Centetric - Lost City
    Centetric - Lost City Posts: 1,528 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    yay ty some1 deleted my links yesterday. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Through the darkness light can always emerge, it is only when the unwilling come upon this light that fear takes over. Emerging from this darkness takes more then courage, it takes faith in ones own mind and more importantly in ones own heart. To deny the light is to deny yourself the feeling of true happiness and true peace within your own soul. Denying your own happiness and your own soul is denying all that one has to live for."
    ~RedsRose
    edited August 2009
    So do I mail my guide or is it just the class guides that should be mailed?

And if I lock it, then I won't be able to edit it anymore? (I still want to add to the Mysterious Items section)

Sorry, I am confused today.
    The VenoX: Heavy Pure Melee (Axe User with a hint of magic) Venomancer and Proud
    Having fun since lv1
    5 more levels baby!
    ^_____^

I'm for The Cursed!
  • eatwithspoons
    edited August 2009
    So do I mail my guide or is it just the class guides that should be mailed?

Sorry, I am confused today.

mail any guide you are submitting for the contest to the address. It's really just to make sure your content isn't copied or erased by someone else
  • Maiya - Lost City
    Maiya - Lost City Posts: 2,686 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    mail any guide you are submitting for the contest to the address. It's really just to make sure your content isn't copied or erased by someone else

What if we have mailed it before but made revisions to the guide? Should we not send it in due to the logs or resubmit?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eatwithspoons
    edited August 2009
    What if we have mailed it before but made revisions to the guide? Should we not send it in due to the logs or resubmit?

Either way really, no harm can come with sending another e-mail to us, but we'll definitely watch the logs of the threads that are chosen
    edited August 2009

Alright, and if I lock it, then I won't be able to edit it anymore? (I still want to add to the Mysterious Items section)
    Having fun since lv1
    5 more levels baby!
    ^_____^

I'm for The Cursed!
  • Voices - Lost City
    Voices - Lost City Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    How do you win this contest? I submitted a FAQ that I created in the blademaster section, but I'm not sure if a FAQ is the same thing as a guide. Whatever, hopefully blademasters will stop posting the same questions over and over...

Also, there's a lot of copyright violation in some of the guides (mostly stealing pictures from ecatomb without credit). Not sure if you're penalizing for this.
    edited August 2009
    I believe that would be a penalty, Vocies. But I myself am not sure.

I just cover my bases and put the reference I used in. All I needed were coordinates and a bit of info on the Rewards. The pictures and Navigation part I did by myself. I did use the game to make screen shots so do I have to reference the game somehow?
    Having fun since lv1
    5 more levels baby!
    ^_____^

I'm for The Cursed!
  • Stickygreen - Heavens Tear
    Stickygreen - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,158 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    hey, id like to add a guide for barbs on how to tank rebirth delta properly.. but i cant add my own guide in the Barbarian section?
    Less QQ more Pew Pewb:thanks

"Don't argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Maiya - Lost City
    Maiya - Lost City Posts: 2,686 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    hey, id like to add a guide for barbs on how to tank rebirth delta properly.. but i cant add my own guide in the Barbarian section?
    Links and Creating Pages

First, if you do not see a link to the guide page that you want, there is a simple way to create it. In the section that you want to put the main link in, this one for example, type the following:

Name of Guide

Which translates into: Name of Guide , which has now become a clickable link

The brackets tell the server that the text is a link, and it creates the link for you. If it is a brand new link, the link will take you directly to an edit page.
    10characters
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Unreal_God - Harshlands
    Unreal_God - Harshlands Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Hello eatwithspoons ive been having some trouble with a user on the wiki it seems that some one submitted his banner he made for a baby pet guide (p.s i actually made mine 1st i checked this) and submitted onto mine aswell and he wasnt to please and i replied saying isnt the idea to make the wiki look good and instead of saying no i dont want you using this banner for your guide he posted this on my guide Image:MyBabyPetBanner.jpg and started saying on my talk page that i have been copying the other baby pets guide work even though i made mine first i dont know what his problem is and i feel he is being unreasonable his wiki name is Carimre
    plz help and resolve this issue...
    edited August 2009
  • Atheeni - Heavens Tear
    Atheeni - Heavens Tear Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Hello eatwithspoons ive been having some trouble with a user on the wiki it seems that some one submitted his banner he made for a baby pet guide (p.s i actually made mine 1st i checked this) and submitted onto mine aswell and he wasnt to please and i replied saying isnt the idea to make the wiki look good and instead of saying no i dont want you using this banner for your guide he posted this on my guide Image:MyBabyPetBanner.jpg and started saying on my talk page that i have been copying the other baby pets guide work even though i made mine first i dont know what his problem is and i feel he is being unreasonable his wiki name is Carimre
    plz help and resolve this issue...

Alright time to clear up some things because you are clearly a troll hell bent on stealing people's ideas.

First off... a number of users have already contacted Spoons about your behaviour so do us all a favor and stop the facade.

Next... about your posting first. You clearly do not understand on how to use the history or recent changes feature on the wiki so let me introduce you to it.

This is your original guide that you made:
    http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php?title=Baby_Pets&oldid=7572
    on 17:27, 31 July 2009 UTC

This is your last change before my guide went up:
    http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php?title=Baby_Pets&oldid=7622
    revision on 17:40, 31 July 2009 UTC

My guide goes up on a NEW page, separate from yours:
    http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php?title=Baby_Pet_Guide&oldid=7722
    on 18:02, 31 July 2009 UTC

You begin to copy materials posted from my guide to your as seen here:
    http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php?title=Baby_Pets&oldid=9632
    revision on 22:20, 31 July 2009 UTC

http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php?title=Baby_Pets&oldid=9642
    revision on 22:21, 31 July 2009 UTC (oh look my tables and images show up)

http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php?title=Baby_Pets&oldid=10222
    revision on 23:08, 31 July UTC

http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php?title=Baby_Pets&oldid=11552
    revision on 01:42, 1 August 2009 UTC (you can see the direct copy pasted words)

http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php?title=Baby_Pets&oldid=11572
    revision on 01:45, 1 August 2009 (oh look my picture of mrs zoologist shows up)

Once you finished your changes you then proceeded to delete my content from my page as can be seen here:
    http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php?title=Baby_Pet_Guide&action=history

After several reverts you finally agree to leave my guide alone and move it here:
    http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Rubba's_Baby_Pet_Guide
    created on 09:52, 1 August 2009 UTC

Carmire then proceeds to add to my guide by adding in locations for pet managers and a banner:
    http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php?title=Baby_Pet_Guide&oldid=13722
    revision on 18:31, 1 August 2009 UTC

you proceed to copy the material and steal the banner WITHOUT permission here:
    http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php?title=Rubba's_Baby_Pet_Guide&oldid=13892
    revision on 21:08, 1 August 2009 UTC

the banner was then removed after several reverts.

You then made yet another page and stole the banner again... this time uploading it as your own work and not giving credit
    http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php?title=Baby_Pet's&oldid=20912
    revision on 12:25, 4 August 2009

without even contacting the original author. The user took action against you since you clearly did not understand the first 2 times.

QED...
    edited August 2009
    yes and i do believe that i said sorry for that and i am talking to carimre know and im asking for this to be forgotten and start from fresh and if you want to do that aswell it would great because this is pointless all this arguing..
  • Ophida - Dreamweaver
    Ophida - Dreamweaver Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Oh wow, not cool. I'd imagine such actions would have you disqualified from the competition...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    tempest-dw.shivtr.com
  • eatwithspoons
    edited August 2009
    How do you win this contest? I submitted a FAQ that I created in the blademaster section, but I'm not sure if a FAQ is the same thing as a guide. Whatever, hopefully blademasters will stop posting the same questions over and over...

Also, there's a lot of copyright violation in some of the guides (mostly stealing pictures from ecatomb without credit). Not sure if you're penalizing for this.
    It's pretty close, feel free to add more detail to make it a guide, smiple Q&A may not be enough by itself

And no, ecatomb does not need any credit, because we own the rights to the game. They are using it with OUR permission, not vice versa b:chuckle

you should be able to make another section link here:
    http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Barbarian_Guides

To everyone else: feel free to use the new page lock request page. Mind you, you can always request that I unlock it to make further edits.
  • Atheeni - Heavens Tear
    Atheeni - Heavens Tear Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    yes and i do believe that i said sorry for that and i am talking to carimre know and im asking for this to be forgotten and start from fresh and if you want to do that aswell it would great because this is pointless all this arguing..

I do not recall you ever apologizing to anyone although I CAN recall you calling both me and Carimre fools, noobs, and idiots several times on various discussion pages as can be found in the history and recent changes. It would be of great help if this petty behavior could stop because I highly doubt this is what Spoons intended for the wiki.
    edited August 2009
    Ok then i am saying sorry know because i dont want to argue any more
  • eatwithspoons
    edited August 2009
    no something's messed up, I didn't insert my name
    edited August 2009
    wat? i dont understand
  • Belial - Heavens Tear
    Belial - Heavens Tear Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    So many spelling mistakes... and the grammar, oh the grammar! *rubs eyes*

Do you consider it a contribution to correct it all? If not, can I do it anyway, or is it considered as an interference with submissions?

*OCD glee* b:chuckle.
  • eatwithspoons
    edited August 2009
    So many spelling mistakes... and the grammar, oh the grammar! *rubs eyes*

Do you consider it a contribution to correct it all? If not, can I do it anyway, or is it considered as an interference with submissions?

*OCD glee* b:chuckle.

nope, corrections are not a contribution, but if you add in information on sections that are not user created guides then that is a contribution for sure b:thanks
  • Belial - Heavens Tear
    Belial - Heavens Tear Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Can I... make them anyway or is that considered as interfering with people's work? Must I wait until the wiki is live? So many apostrophes to remove and add in the right places >_<.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I have completed mine b:cute

Ultimate Newbie Genie Guide

First time for Wiki Code b:sweat
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous