EVENT: PWI Wiki Kickoff Contest!(no more submissions)

Comments

• Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    post where T____T
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    wait.... posted them where? Theres not gonna be a hundred diff. guide on one single class page right?
    there could be, we have class guide sections
    Oh just to reiterate, I made an informative-albeit ugly looking- guide to making guides. It will help a bunch if you just take a glance before putting up your guide
    This is where to look regarding creating pages
    I have to post it in the Wiki, or if it is already on this forums will be enough?
    you have to post it in the wiki, or else it wouldn't be a wiki contest
  • Tearvalerin - Sanctuary
    Tearvalerin - Sanctuary Posts: 3,787 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    can we use our own original stickied guides?

like suppose i took mine, and incorporated the other two popular builds, would that be acceptable?

b:beatenup
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    b:beatenup

As long as what you submit to the contest is wholy your work and not copy-pasted from someone else it's fine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • ShoeFury - Sanctuary
    ShoeFury - Sanctuary Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I can't upload images... I think you should change the settings so people can upload images... The guides will look very bland without them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Joined Aug 2008 on HT--
    Just lurkin' the forums these days and makin' occassional stupid posts
  • Haiz - Lost City
    Haiz - Lost City Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    In the wiki for class guides, there are three sections "Wizard Guides" "Wizard Common Stat Builds" and "Wizard Skills".

What if I were to put all three into one guide? Or should I make three different guides and put them into the corresponding location?
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I am concerned about the formulation of this contest.
    The contest encourages people to submit their own guides rather than improve existing ones.

What you are going to get is a set of disjoint guides each with redundant information rather than a single authoritative organized set of information.

How many archer guides do you need? For a wiki the answer is just 1. If something is missing from it you should add to it, if something is incorrect you can fix it. That's the whole point of a wiki!

Why have many archer guides in the wiki? Having several guides each with their own flaws is going to end up less useful for people than one good one that everyone improves on.

Perhaps you should find some other criteria for most useful contributions than submitting guides.

-Asterelle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Haiz - Lost City
    Haiz - Lost City Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    The contest encourages people to submit their own guides rather than improve existing ones.

What you are going to get is a set of disjoint guides each with redundant information rather than a single authoritative organized set of information.

How many archer guides do you need? For a wiki the answer is just 1. If something is missing from it you should add to it, if something is incorrect you can fix it. That's the whole point of a wiki!

Why have many archer guides in the wiki? Having several guides each with their own flaws is going to end up less useful for people than one good one that everyone improves on.

Perhaps you should find some other criteria for most useful contributions than submitting guides.

-Asterelle

If everyone edited the same guide there would be no way to judge. I believe what they are going for is to find the best guide and then use that one as a base, and then let people edit that to their willing.
  • eatwithspoons
    edited July 2009
    I can't upload images... I think you should change the settings so people can upload images... The guides will look very bland without them.
    We'll talk about that internally and make a decision to let you know. The cheief concern is abuse
    In the wiki for class guides, there are three sections "Wizard Guides" "Wizard Common Stat Builds" and "Wizard Skills".

What if I were to put all three into one guide? Or should I make three different guides and put them into the corresponding location?
    I would say, just link it in that main guides page. IF we need to categorize it later we will worry about moving it

-Asterelle
    Well we're picking guides for the most effective, but everyone thinks their guide is the greatest, so there's no real way to keep conflicts out of it aside from having everyone make their own initially.

It would be worse if it was one guide with hundreds of people all trying to edit it at the same time. I will eventually make one main guide compiled from all of the others when the contest is complete.

Honestly this wiki is going to be really complicated and difficult to manage at the start. Once things get rolling and we have content to roll with I will focus my efforts largely on organization and categorization as well as compilation of different guides into one main one for each topic.
    pheeeew that sound hard!
  • ShoeFury - Sanctuary
    ShoeFury - Sanctuary Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    We'll talk about that internally and make a decision to let you know. The cheief concern is abuse

Would it be possible for you to check out my images, and then upload them? (Don't worry, I only need 2 images)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Joined Aug 2008 on HT--
    Just lurkin' the forums these days and makin' occassional stupid posts
  • eatwithspoons
    edited July 2009
    Would it be possible for you to check out my images, and then upload them? (Don't worry, I only need 2 images)

shoot me a pmb:laugh
  • DeathBanana - Heavens Tear
    DeathBanana - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,674 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    In addition to all this, we will also choose 5 random contributors to win!

Contributions=Other pages? or edits? Both?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

9x Demon Cleric
  • eatwithspoons
    edited July 2009
    Contributions=Other pages? or edits? Both?

additions to pages, adding descriptions to main pages(not "the" main page)

Little stuff, obviously not involving individual guides, but anything else. Like the flying mount page, all I have in there is barebones info, the riding mount page could use some description of fastest and slowest mounts, spurred or unspurred, etc.

EDIT: also the quests that I already have in there. they are unformatted and ugly. by basic pages i mean like this:

http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Cube_of_Fate

that guy has the right idea, and the topic isn't a matter of opinion for the most part. the room descriptions obviously are a matter of strategy choice, so stuff like that you can add onto.
  • eatwithspoons
    edited July 2009
    apologies for double post, don't forget to sign your work everyone!

It's: --~~~~
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    additions to pages, adding descriptions to main pages(not "the" main page)

Little stuff, obviously not involving individual guides, but anything else. Like the flying mount page, all I have in there is barebones info, the riding mount page could use some description of fastest and slowest mounts, spurred or unspurred, etc.

EDIT: also the quests that I already have in there. they are unformatted and ugly. by basic pages i mean like this:

http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Cube_of_Fate

that guy has the right idea, and the topic isn't a matter of opinion for the most part. the room descriptions obviously are a matter of strategy choice, so stuff like that you can add onto.

b:shocked This is a VERY rough Cube of Fate guide
    apologies for double post, don't forget to sign your work everyone!

It's: --~~~~

Double posting is not allowed on these forums. Please try to use the Edit option.

b:victoryb:chuckleb:cute...(could not resist)

ಢಿ_ಢಿ
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • eatwithspoons
    edited July 2009
    b:shocked This is a VERY rough Cube of Fate guide

Double posting is not allowed on these forums. Please try to use the Edit option.

(could not resist)

ಢಿ_ಢಿ
    b:angryb:angry
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited July 2009
    b:angryb:angry

I could not help it b:cryb:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• leonardo360
    leonardo360 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    cool wiki i love pwi you guys rock
    b:victoryb:victory
  • Top - Harshlands
    Top - Harshlands Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    This contest looks more like a "We are lazy so let our customers do all the work" b:laugh
  • eatwithspoons
    edited July 2009
    This contest looks more like a "We are lazy so let our customers do all the work" b:laugh

User contributions are a cornerstone, because you guys know more details than we do in some cases. We populated the entire quests section, haven't formatted it yet though. The task of moderating and organizing is not easy either, but rest assured I will be making my fair share of content contributions b:laugh I lieks wikis
  • Mieze - Lost City
    Mieze - Lost City Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited July 2009

Meh.

b:shutup Fish mount b:beg
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited July 2009

In all honesty, I think we are the best suited to do these Guides and Such.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Andzero - Heavens Tear
    Andzero - Heavens Tear Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    some of these guides are going to be loooooooong..... should we save our progress if we're not gonna finish in one sitting? ....in which case it might then be open to editting by someone else, so would we want to altogether not post to the wiki first? or send emails of works-in-progress?
  • eatwithspoons
    edited July 2009
    some of these guides are going to be loooooooong..... should we save our progress if we're not gonna finish in one sitting? ....in which case it might then be open to editting by someone else, so would we want to altogether not post to the wiki first? or send emails of works-in-progress?

I would say.... get your information together before starting the guide, and e-mail me the text only just to have a record. you can stop your formatting midway through if you know that i already have the full text in raw form. Did that make sense?
    edited July 2009
    wikipedia is all user made too, as are 90% the fansites and databases people use for games regularly too :).

/writes pro blademaster guide lol
  • Mieze - Lost City
    Mieze - Lost City Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I would say.... get your information together before starting the guide, and e-mail me the text only just to have a record. you can stop your formatting midway through if you know that i already have the full text in raw form. Did that make sense?

b:shutupb:shutup might have sent in copy paste from the edit window after i finished ...lol hope that doesn't matter b:surrender
  • eatwithspoons
    edited July 2009
    b:shutupb:shutup might have sent in copy paste from the edit window after i finished ...lol hope that doesn't matter b:surrender

I speak wiki codespeak, because I R ROBOT. So yes, that's fine
    edited July 2009
    http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Venomancer_Skill_List#Introduction first page done! b:victory (though she needs some housekeeping ): )
  • Leonon - Sanctuary
    Leonon - Sanctuary Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Lol I find it funny that the Veno intro doesn't mention anything about pets :P