Why Should Veno's Have a Ranged Pet?

Comments

• tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Updated the OP with some info about World Bosses since recently I've proven that a Marksman can tank one at Lv.92 with Protect (done on Alphaleus). -Probably sooner.

Screenshot:
    http://yfrog.com/5nmarksmanwbp

The risk of something going wrong makes it barely worth it though. Computer crash, power outage, internet hiccup, etc could happen in those long hours and you're not guaranteed to get much out of it. I was lucky enough to get a Perfect Citrine. I also got a Perfect Alabaster that sold for a mere 200k. The rest was basically garbage that isn't any better than mini-World Boss drops.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    How well does this work with arcane armor?
    I would assume it works quite well in arcane armor. The venos who taught it to me wore arcane. b:chuckle

Number-wise, in fully heavy I'm at about 75% physical damage reduction. Without Bramble Hood, Shooting Aur needs about 3-4 hits to kill me if he gets lucky. Since Hood provides 75% damage reduction, I would assume a veno with 0 pdef would also be able to survive 2-3 shots without a problem.

That might change if you're extremely low level. Try it and find out. That's half the fun of the game, isn't it?
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Level 69, a bit over 2k HP unbuffed. I'll have to try it out next time I'm in a 1-2 (I need to do the quests in there, and get lots of mats... most of which you can't get in solo mode. I have a 73 BM and a 69 cleric to equip.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • tweakz
    edited October 2009
    What about a tank pet with Threaten to lure? That combined with Bramble Hood leaves me barely scathed usually, but only tested on mobs in Eden / Brimstone and some bosses like Stygean.
  • _River - Heavens Tear
    _River - Heavens Tear Posts: 834 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    tweakz wrote: »
    Updated the OP with some info about World Bosses since recently I've proven that a Marksman can tank one at Lv.92 with Protect (done on Alphaleus). -Probably sooner.

Screenshot:
    http://yfrog.com/5nmarksmanwbp

The risk of something going wrong makes it barely worth it though. Computer crash, power outage, internet hiccup, etc could happen in those long hours and you're not guaranteed to get much out of it. I was lucky enough to get a Perfect Citrine. I also got a Perfect Alabaster that sold for a mere 200k. The rest was basically garbage that isn't any better than mini-World Boss drops.

Is this the world boss you said you've soloed...? Nevermind found the post. It was the same...
    _Jaysun_'s Wife
    Heaven's Tear--
    Retired
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

For all those that told me Lunar Gold wasn't worth the hassle of farming... but now have the Nirvana versions... I laugh at you. Hypocrites.
  • tweakz
    edited October 2009
    That's the one. Took almost 4 hours for just me and my alt.
  • _River - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2009
    tweakz wrote: »
    That's the one. Took almost 4 hours for just me and my alt.

Your alt being the wizard?
    _Jaysun_'s Wife
    Heaven's Tear--
    Retired
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

For all those that told me Lunar Gold wasn't worth the hassle of farming... but now have the Nirvana versions... I laugh at you. Hypocrites.
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Not wanting to minimized the accomplishment, but, when a person says I soloed xyz mob, doesn't that usualy mean you did it with only your one character?

A arcane veno can say it is easy to solo drum 1-3, than shows a screenshot of herself killing it with while her cleric alt has a BB up. That is not the same as a HA veno being able to tank drum 1-3 by herself.

It is pretty cool that tweakz was able to tank that boss, and killed it, but I am not sure the word "solo" should be used, since there were 2 characters doing it.

The correct thing,in my opinion, would be "the amaizing tanking of a WB with no cash shop pets!!!!!!!!! (and no I am not being sarcastic, I think it is pretty darn cool)
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • _River - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2009
    Not wanting to minimized the accomplishment, but, when a person says I soloed xyz mob, doesn't that usualy mean you did it with only your one character?

A arcane veno can say it is easy to solo drum 1-3, than shows a screenshot of herself killing it with while her cleric alt has a BB up. That is not the same as a HA veno being able to tank drum 1-3 by herself.

It is pretty cool that tweakz was able to tank that boss, and killed it, but I am not sure the word "solo" should be used, since there were 2 characters doing it.

The correct thing,in my opinion, would be "the amaizing tanking of a WB with no cash shop pets!!!!!!!!! (and no I am not being sarcastic, I think it is pretty darn cool)

Not meaning to offend either, but that's what I was thinking. I'm happy to know that it can be accomplished by a non-cash shop pet though =) it is a wonderful piece of knowledge and I commend you on finding it out tweakz.

I decided to do a damage test as well on it, knowing that it would one shot my nix, I sent it anyways :P However, was shocked to see it didn't one shot me. The mag attack was similar looking to the venomous scarab, but on my currently geared veno only did 1586 damage to her... I didn't bramble hood, nor use foxform or any kind of damage reduction pots. That was honest to goodness true damage to me. So with an eldergoth using protect level 5, and at level 92 I'm not surprised that it was tankable by a ranged pet.

Once again, great find tweakz =)
    _Jaysun_'s Wife
    Heaven's Tear--
    Retired
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Did you look at what I quoted? The part about luring Dimentora, not the cube rooms.

Whoops, sorry misread that. With bramble/fox you can take atleast 3 hits, with a little physical resist gear you can increase that to 5 and a genie can get you a sixth (minimum). All you're going to take is one hit with that method so it works fine.
  • tweakz
    edited October 2009

If there was an AoE hitting me that I required healing for: I'd have stressed the point. The only thing the wiz alt did for me was save me time and mp pots.

3 (don't leave out the pet). In some cases an alt could be used to keep surrounding mobs cleared, or lure. I have found however that it's hard to grab aggro from the lure, and when you do the pet will be on the far side of the boss. (Tried on Ceminator @ 89). Also, in any cases where an alt is used, it seems like pots/genies/etc could be used instead. Sure using the word solo is questionable, but my intention wasn't to hide the use of an alt. My main computer isn't very stable so any tricks I could do to save time: I'd do. Extreme Poison was out of range (genie help would be a fourth =P )
    _River wrote:
    Once again, great find tweakz =)

Long before I did it, I was advocating it only to be shot down by people like Teartroll suggesting instead to put Blessing on a Herc.

TY both! b:victory
  • tweakz
    edited October 2009
    Revisited the WB today. I tried with Herc first because if he could survive: -that reflect sure would shorten the battle. Herc got one hit -lol.

This time I got gutsier. I got close enough for ranged spells and could pull off a shot between heals. Found out the whole battle could be done without pots, or assistance and with very low repairs using Soul Transfuse, Nature's Grace, and Metabolic Boost. There was even plenty of time for Noxious Gas. b:chuckle . This time I got two perfect Turquoise, and one perfect Ruby. b:victory
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2009
    How long was the fight? I was thinking of doing this too, but bringing a second veno with me so that one could heal the marksman with an occasional nuke, and then I could use sage sd/amp (in about 15% of a level) plus a nix.

Although it would mean dividing the loot up, the time savings would be very useful.
  • tweakz
    edited October 2009
    It took under 4 but more than 3 hours using my alt wiz (l84). A Nix would likely steal aggro. You'd want to mostly stick to debuffs. I let my wiz go all out except for undine (which seems like a wasteful aggro causer if only one wiz). I also let her meditate instead of using pots (hence the possibly longer time). I could have used Extreme Poison, but I like to go cheap. I also timed the wiz sparks with Myriad Rainbow.

Sage amp - *drools*
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2009
    Nix aggro is very easy to control. Constant resummoning would clear aggro. The longer the fight goes on the longer it could go between summonings.

My marksman is lagging behind right now at level 87, at that it would mean 1487 damage per second. Going on the assumption that pounce is no additional aggro when the stun is resisted (I think it is, but I can't really quantify it), after 69 seconds the marksman would have enough aggro to keep it from the nix using pounce (at 54 seconds it could be done). After that, the nix could be resummoned and without pounce, it would have about 25-30 seconds to attack without aggro, and then unsummon and repeat. Basically every 4.5 seconds the marksman is on the mob, the time between unsummonings for the nix would increase by 1 second.

Calling it 3.5 hours, assuming the nix is as much as the marksman+wizard (i think it would be more) that would mean 1.75 hours, adding in sd makes that 1.46 hours. There's probably some other stuff I would throw in too like poison when doing amp+myriad+pounce. The fight time could probably be reduced to about 75 minutes. That wouldn't be too bad. Now I just need to wait for one of the venos I group with to get a bit higher to pull it off. Using just my clawless marksman, going by your time I would be looking at probably 5 hours to do it on my own. That's too long for me.
  • tweakz
    edited October 2009
    Forgot about resummoning. I often wish i had two venos instead of a crappy wiz lol. I think it was at level 89 that I first started testing Marksman on WB's. I lacked the healing power at that level. I would level yours up if I were you as it will give you more DD as well as better chance of success.
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2009
    I put a level on it every time I get room 4 while running cube. So far it's been a tolerable way to level it and is getting it a bit stronger since I was neglecting it for awhile. Once it's caught up I'll either take a scorpion to 60 or so and then start doing the same to it, or get my magmite caught back up to me. At this rate, sometime during 92 the marksman will catch up. I'll probably do a scorpion before the magmite though since I really want to solo djinscream in 3-1 and I'm going to need everything I can get for that, meaning I'll need the scorpion.

I'll give it a try when the marksman hits 92 also, if for no other reason than to see if it's doable without herc skills but if I lack the healing it will have to wait until 93.
  • tweakz
    edited October 2009
    My guess is that it would work without protect since the HP is only going down about 1/4 per hit. I'm using -36% channeling but it's probably overkill big time since mag takes longer than melee.
    since I really want to solo djinscream in 3-1

Lol, me too! -Especially after being told about the fails. -"what are you doing tweakz! -get your herc out!"
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2009
    Do you have bless on it too? I'm coming up with 65% reduction without and 82% with protect. That would mean 35% vs 18% taken. If you're being knocked to 75% hp without bless thats about 750 damage I think, mine would take about 1460 damage. I probably wouldn't want to cast anything else between heals, but it should be doable as 1460 is still well within the range of what I can heal each cast (my heal should range from 1968 to 2352 per cast).

Oh, and I will solo Djinscream, I don't care if I have to farm god's tea, pick up the crit buff from OHT fragments, use windrage every single spark, and extreme poison/frenzy. I will find a way to do it just because people say a veno can't and I'm sure there's a way to do it.
  • tweakz
    edited October 2009
    I don't have blessing on it, just protect, strong, claw, and bash. If I had blessing, I'd sell it to some sucker. b:chuckle -well that or get another Herc.
    Oh, and I will solo Djinscream, I don't care if I have to farm god's tea, pick up the crit buff from OHT fragments, use windrage every single spark, and extreme poison/frenzy. I will find a way to do it just because people say a veno can't and I'm sure there's a way to do it.

Lol, I hear ya! I'm just too cheap to sub, use genie chi, pots, etc. I might try with my alt though.
  • Reardon - Heavens Tear
    Reardon - Heavens Tear Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    This is probably a dumb question, but I'd thought I'd ask for others like me who just lurk in the forums. How do you turn off the melee attacks of the Eldergoth Marksman/Sharpshooter?

My main is a Barb, and I only play my veno occasionally, so I don't know all the ins and outs of using the veno pets effectively.
    The One and Only Copper Commando Barbarian b:victory
  • Della_Brown - Heavens Tear
    Della_Brown - Heavens Tear Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Right-click the skill icon with the butter-colored outline. That outline shows the default skill, which the pet will use every chance it gets, if it is an attack skill.
    "adults on HT is an ancient myth used to scare away the kids from stealing their parents credit cards D:" - Santacruz
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2009
    This is probably a dumb question, but I'd thought I'd ask for others like me who just lurk in the forums. How do you turn off the melee attacks of the Eldergoth Marksman/Sharpshooter?

My main is a Barb, and I only play my veno occasionally, so I don't know all the ins and outs of using the veno pets effectively.

It's always using a ranged attack not a melee attack, the reason it gets close to a mob is because skills have a much shorter range than the range attacks. If you turn those off it will keep attacking from a distance.
  • iceknave
    iceknave Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Qingzi (FB29 boss) can also be range tanked with an eldergoth marksman starting from level 45 solo, significantly earlier than some suggested estimates of killing him solo in the 60's with a melee pet tank. I think it might be possible to do it starting from 43 solo, but that's moving into the realm of getting top notch gear for the 40's, which may not be cost effective for most people.

It might also be possible to double heal him starting from level 33 or so as well with a pair of venos, though I haven't personally tried it yet.
    Induction ID (Doomsbog): 3080068X031808024008351Z3f4d22
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2009
    It can be done at 41 with a marksman, but not easily, 43 with a herc, 53 with a magmite.
  • Mamiko_mao - Sanctuary
    Mamiko_mao - Sanctuary Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I agree. Ranged bets DO make some of the best pullers, but in my case I found it easier to just tame a sacrificial, durable, fast pet (Death Knights come to mind) and have them charge in and get one hit off before dying (although this applies mostly to bosses). =D
  • tweakz
    edited October 2009
    Trying some new World Bosses today. I failed on Machinoslitt, Broadkris Drudge, Shadow Doll, Dipter, and Cerberean Sentinal. -Not to say they can't be done, as it could be from complications in luring.

Partial success on Auprus: Ton. Using Strong, Protect, and Claw at lvl 93, the marksman was losing ~3/4 HP per hit (much more than on Alphaleus). I backed out of the attack after a couple minutes since I'm looking for another quick and easy like Alphaleus. (It wasn't a fail). This was another WB that didn't appear to need luring.

Cenminator was already being attacked when I got there (pretty sure this one can be done), and Minion of Death was already gone.
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2009
    You can add Blackhole Devourer to the list of what can be range tanked. Realized that one today when working out how to speed the kill up. Right now I'm torn between using the marksman or herc with my heal/nuke loop, the marksman would be far less work, but with the herc I could just back it out any time the heal loop isn't keeping up (so it would be backed out probably 1/3 of the time) and get some reflect damage.

I need to start taking out some WB's like you do. Our definitions of quick seem to differ though. Lately I just haven't had long enough to commit to PW to do a WB kill uninterrupted like would be necessary. You have to be making a fortune in chrono pages too going by their value on DW.

Oh, tried a couple WB's for you to look for a good target. Watcher of Chasm is out unless there's some trick to him I can't find. The poison dot pretty much wrecks, and it likely stacks it. Have you tried ancient spearman?
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    The only time I've found a ranged pet to be of any use to me is pulling general wurlord. Sometimes the one you need to pull is behind the group and even a hercules may not survive the pull.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • tweakz
    edited November 2009
    Oh, tried a couple WB's for you to look for a good target. Watcher of Chasm is out unless there's some trick to him I can't find. The poison dot pretty much wrecks, and it likely stacks it. Have you tried ancient spearman?

TY, haven't tried Spearman. I've seen it being done by a veno with a cacto though.

I knew about BHD, just forgot to add. -d'oh!

It seems this latest patch changed Alphaleus a bit. I get AoE'd when trying to cast Ironwood, or Noxious. I also learned that a 93 marksman w/o any skills can possibly tank it! *edit: I did notice after putting protect on that Alph got 2 hits on it between spam heals. Dmg taken appeared to be about 50% so iffy.