Why Should Veno's Have a Ranged Pet?

Comments

• Dandelyn - Heavens Tear
    Dandelyn - Heavens Tear Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    good info umm just a slight few error being this marksman hits at the 7meter range or so b4 lvl 90 as mine at lvl 70 hits at 7.3meters i think tho ingame being hard to diferntiate also i can do things with kowlin tho that you cant do period luring with a marks man that being i do FF/FC take your pick of said name for forggoten frostlands but the mobs that do "kite" dont for kowlin end of story as kowling being to fast he does hit them even if they run unless you have already lured a mob and the others from said group are on what i call "alert" status as the react faster to pets and such for about 1min after or so and the marksman cant lure a mob in FF properly because of it w/o dying unless you wait till they stop with the "alert" status kowlin can be sent in to lure any mob in FF except the flying ones thats it as they stay put and even then the marks man only can hit the first set and once you get to the second set after the room with both galax mobs that go back and forth and the "rider" mob at the end marks man cant hit them from what ive seen as the seem to be to high but my marksman is good for that but to me thats it as i can lure any mob ingame w/o being hit "unless its a WB ect" and unsummon and send hurc in b4 i get hit or my kowlin dies and my kowlin wont be hit either if i dont lag most times i dont either its how i solo lure in TT1-2 all the way to 2-3 and yes kowlin CAN lure Shooting Aur and YES i can summon hurc b4 anything happens to me and YES i do know how to do this being this is what you do as i dont perfer to have clerics all the time in TT so i select said mob i then TURN OFF all attack skills i send kowlin in and back up like you do with your marksman this tho being quite likly the difference as my kowlin gets to him hits him and i already have unsummoned my pet and am summoning hurc then i hood and buff hurc an send him in that's that as i reposition myself inbetween heals behind a crystal box and i only need to heal 1 time every 2-3 hits so i am fine anddo use kowlin very effectivly also as i mentioned b4 "kiting" mobs cant kite from kowlin b4 he gets to them if you do it this way as he wont reset for quite a far range unlike the marksman so i can send kowlin in and not worry and as it is more times kowlin hits them b4 they even do "kite" so then they "kite" while i unsummon and resummon lol end of story marksman being yes a decent lureer and tank in
    "some" situations but not in a lot of them if you know how

OMG.. do you ever breath?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NecroKitty - Harshlands
    NecroKitty - Harshlands Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Does cactopod type pet and the marksman type have the exact same range?
  • kenlee
    kenlee Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    about the list of bosses that can be killed by marksman...

insert here bh59 bosses (drake / qianji). when i was in 7x i tried to solo them with golem, no chance to do them with magmite but i tamed a marksman and things were much better since then, bosses use range only but takes a lot more time to do them. drake is much easier, qianji was much harder for a LA like i was and sometimes i died too. tried zimo too but he was hard also.

of course now i have herc and a good advice is, dont ever put rare skills on golem like i was planning... herc its much better pet even w/o buffs
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Does cactopod type pet and the marksman type have the exact same range?

Not sure, probably going by when I've seen someone using one.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    kenlee wrote: »
    insert here bh59 bosses (drake / qianji). when i was in 7x i tried to solo them with golem, no chance to do them with magmite but i tamed a marksman and things were much better since then, bosses use range only but takes a lot more time to do them. drake is much easier, qianji was much harder for a LA like i was and sometimes i died too. tried zimo too but he was hard also.
    The 59 bosses all have an attack pattern of melee, melee, melee, melee+nuke, repeat. This is the pattern of most of the high-end bosses, and what kills off the usefulness of the magmite at higher levels (its poor mdef really bites on those nukes).

The 59 bosses will also all skip the melee attacks and just nuke from range if their target is not in melee range. I dunno why the cleric+barb combo is so popular since most if not all of them can be tanked more easily with a cleric+robe-type. Ofotis and the drake mix in a DoT in their cast cycle, which makes them easier. Qianji has a higher damage nuke - occasionally it'd take off nearly half my herc's hp when I was in my 70s. I usually skipped Zimo so don't recall exactly, but I think he casts quicker than the others. (This is why you can't rely on the magic attack values in pwdatabase - the individual spells the mobs use seem to vary in their cast times and damage. It's not straightforward like phys attack values in melee.)
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    As I suspected, the 89+ cactopods have a longer range than the Eldergoths. I updated the OP with images, starting skills/ levels, and some stats.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2009
    That's interesting, I'll test it myself too. I noticed the angles on your screenshots aren't the same. Some z axis calculations are screwy which may explain it (or they could simply be longer). Did you test any other cactopods to determine if it's based on level or race?
  • tweakz
    edited November 2009
    That's interesting, I'll test it myself too. I noticed the angles on your screenshots aren't the same. Some z axis calculations are screwy which may explain it (or they could simply be longer). Did you test any other cactopods to determine if it's based on level or race?

I haven't tested on other cactopods. I'm absolutely sure that the 89+ cactopods from Eden have significantly greater range than the current Eldergoths though. I updated the OP again after testing on Array Protecters. They kited for the Marksman, but not the Inamorato. They also let the Inamorato use greater range (didn't close in).

Solandri will probably update us on the new figures on which would lure faster under different conditions.. Kowlin or these Longer Ranged Pets. b:laugh (Ty ahead of time -lol). My guess is their range is about 15m.

My Marksman is by no means obsolete. I find it painfully slow to grind with the Inamorato so far. It does have 1m/s over the Marksman as well as extended range so it may outdo it for luring. For World Boss Tanking, definitely the Marksman until I find a boss that can AoE me while healing the Marksman. This would make bosses like Slitt safer since the safe range is so tight for an Eldergoth.
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2009
    It also has level 5 slow which may be useful for luring, though it has to get close for that, which somewhat defeats the purpose of being a range pet.

Anyways, I tested it as well and can confirm the distances.

I've got a lot of angles and stuff if needed, I did this on flat land though so hills can't be a factor, my test target was a friends herc.

distance.jpg

The leather is my frost scarab distance of 19.2m, the klunky is the celestial sting, the amber shard is the marksman, and the lion's edge is amp distance. The herc used for the test didn't move at all.

I didn't measure the jpg, the compression may distort it, but I worked on the bmp a bit, finding the pixels of the middle of each item icon, and roughly the middle of the herc. The locations I ended up with for that were:
    935, 167=target
    460, 105=amp (10m)
    383, 75=ape
    269, 104=sting
    105, 98=frost (19.2m)

Measuring the distances of those lines I get:
    Herc to Amp distance=479 pixels.
    Herc to Ape distance=557 pixels.
    Herc to Sting distance=669 pixels.
    Herc to Frost distance=833 pixels.

The herc to amp distance is 47.9 pixels/m and the herc to frost scarab distance is 43.4 pixels/m. Given the way I'm doing this, that range should be good enough. Given that, it should be a range of 11.62-12.83m for the marksman and 13.96-15.42m for the sting.

Rounding that, since the game seems to round attack distances to tenths of a meter, that's a possible range of 11.6-12.8 for the marksman and 14-15.4 for the sting. To try and get that range down a little more, I measured the distance from the amp range to the ape, which gives a distance of 82.64 pixels. Using the above ranges that's a distance of 1.72-1.9m. Adding the 10m of amp to that, a closer range of 11.72-11.9m can be found for the marksman. The same thing can be done for the sting, which is 191 pixels away, giving a range of 13.99-14.4m.

I'm not sure I can get those ranges down any further, so if the math lost anyone:
    Marksman - Between 11.7 and 11.9 meters range.
    Sting - Between 14.0 and 14.4 meters range.
    edited November 2009
    tweakz wrote: »
    I haven't tested on other cactopods. I'm absolutely sure that the 89+ cactopods from Eden have significantly greater range than the current Eldergoths though.
    That's great to hear. I haven't been leveling my marksman because I use it so infrequently, and have been looking for a high level replacement.
    Solandri will probably update us on the new figures on which would lure faster under different conditions.. Kowlin or these Longer Ranged Pets. b:laugh (Ty ahead of time -lol). My guess is their range is about 15m.
    Edit: LOL, Brael you posted those distance figures the same time I posted the above. Here it is again using your figures and the correct speed for Celestial Sting:

Kowlin - assume 2.5 m attack range, 10.4 m/s @ 90
    Celestial Sting - 14.2 m attack range, 8.8 m/s @ 90

The two have equal lure times at distance x

(x-14.2)/8.8 = (x-2.5)/10.4
    10.4x - 14.2*10.4 = 8.8x - 2.5*8.8
    x(10.4 - 8.8) = 14.2*10.4 - 2.5*8.8
    x = (14.2*10.4 - 2.5*8.8) / (10.4 - 8.8)
    x = 78.6 meters

Kowlin is faster at greater distances. Sting is faster at shorter distances. Since it seems the max range to order your pet to attack is around 40m-50m, time-wise the Celestial Sting is significantly faster. If the cactus firing animation is pretty clear, then I'd say Sting is the winner. Best of both worlds - range and time.

Additional comparisons:
    Marksman - 11.8 m attack range, 7.8 m/s @ 90

Kowlin-Sting equivalency is at 78.6 m. Kowlin is faster further, Cactus is faster closer.
    Kowlin-Marksman equivalency is at 39.7 m. Kowlin is faster further, Marksman is faster closer.
    Marksman-Sting equivalency - there is none. Cactus is always faster.

When we assumed the Marksman's ranged attack was 10m, the equivalency distance was 32.5m, which pretty clearly favored the Kowlin. The bump up to 11.8m pretty much makes it a dead heat. So given that and the Sting's clear advantage, except for moving mobs or hidden mobs (where you need the skill indicator to tell you when to unsummon), I'm changing my recommendation on puller to a Marksman or Sting.

For non-dangerous pulls, a zeal genie is still a lot faster though.
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2009
    Your speed for the celestial sting is wrong, at 89 it's 8.8 m/s. It should always beat a marksman since it's faster and has a larger range. I'm not sure if other cactus also have that larger range or not, I didn't have the pet bag slots to test them all at once as I had just finally finished feeding my magmite to level it up, and didn't want to take it out.
  • verse
    verse Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    interesting thread. there's a lot of information, so i would like to see some conclusive oneliners. i think that would help out people to decide whether or not to get or try out a ranged pet. if i understood ya'll correctly, here's some examples of what i have in mind:

1) A ranged pet (marksman, sharpshooter, inamorato, celestial) is theoretically a better puller than a fast running melee pet like kowlin.
    2) In certain situations (like the bosses provided in OP), a ranged pet is an effective and efficient tanker compaired to hercules.
    3) In situations with mobs/bosses with AOE or bramble skill, a ranged pet is an effective and efficient DD alternative to melee pets.

does that sound about right?

also what i would like to know:
    * are pierce & howl melee range skills? if they're ranged, i can imagine having a ranged pet as both DD and debuffer pet, which would be a nice replacement for my kowlin.
    * how do you guys feel about marksman/sharpshooter/inamorato/celestial as DD pets? i'm looking for a ranged pet for conclusion 3) - a pet that does significant damage but doesn't get hit by bosses with small AOE.
  • Yurikko - Lost City
    Yurikko - Lost City Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Okay, so I have a Kowlin they are fast yes, and yes they do suck for luring at times, the key to luring though isn't always the speed. I use a Shadou cub for my luring half the time, it's higher def and hp allow me to run in hit the mob I need and get out, most of the time I do this without it even taking any damage what so ever. If your pet is dying in the process of luring, you really need to get some more practise in. The key is to watch the pet's attack skill (e.g. Bash) and as soon as you see it activate on the pet bar, stow the pet, don't worry if the pet's animation hasn't kicked in, the damage will be done, and you will lure, most of the time with your pet taking no damage and your mob successfully lured and running crazily toward you.

Any pet is good to lure with if you know how to do it right.
  • verse
    edited November 2009
    i'll name you a situation where it's not just about unsummoning pet in time (skil activation bar thing that you just named). brigand & linus in FB79 - 50% of the time pet gets hit - and that's not because i don't pull pet out in time. my kowlin (87) barely survives that situation. also pulling out coredash boss from his room in TT3-1 is 50/50 on his first action. sometimes coredash starts hitting on kowlin before kowlin even gets in range. sometimes it starts hitting on kowlin after he's fired off flesh ream / bash.

but like said in OP, this thread is not only about having an alternative for pulling. and no, it's not only about "how to do it right".
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    With Linus/Brigand, with a ranged pet you can wait until one of them goes to the edge of the platform and get them without having the pet go on the platform (thus not getting hit on the approach.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • tweakz
    edited November 2009
    verse wrote: »
    * are pierce & howl melee range skills? if they're ranged, i can imagine having a ranged pet as both DD and debuffer pet, which would be a nice replacement for my kowlin.
    * how do you guys feel about marksman/sharpshooter/inamorato/celestial as DD pets? i'm looking for a ranged pet for conclusion 3) - a pet that does significant damage but doesn't get hit by bosses with small AOE.
    [/quote]

Pierce and Howl will work at range if the pet is deterred (such as the flying Harpies in FF/FC), however they will go to melee range to apply if they can. The range of these skills is slightly less than the range of the Marksman. The skills that aren't range dependent are like Claw, Protect, Strong, Tough.

Debuff pets aren't really much use in the higher levels as character skills that surpass them would get overwritten. The ranged pet's range would be useless for debuffing. You'd want something with some survivability up close like an Armored Bear for the AoE's. The Bear also has weak atk so aggro will be less of an issue. It already has the skills Threaten and Tough which is good for debuff luring as well as debuffing bosses. There are many different situations where it may be tough to choose which is the right pet (DPS vs Debuff). In most cases people like to see the big yellow guy (he's worshiped by some).

The Marksman has served me well for doing DD out of short AoE range. It's atk is higher and has better survivability. The longer ranged cactos will have their place in long range AoE bosses and dangerous luring situations.
    With Linus/Brigand, with a ranged pet you can wait until one of them goes to the edge of the platform and get them without having the pet go on the platform (thus not getting hit on the approach.)

Usually the range covers the distance they are on the platform. If they're at the edge, I use Tame Beast and skip bothering with the stowing, summoning.
  • verse
    edited November 2009
    Pierce and Howl will work at range if the pet is deterred (such as the flying Harpies in FF/FC), however they will go to melee range to apply if they can. The range of these skills is slightly less than the range of the Marksman. The skills that aren't range dependent are like Claw, Protect, Strong, Tough.

Debuff pets aren't really much use in the higher levels as character skills that surpass them would get overwritten. The ranged pet's range would be useless for debuffing. You'd want something with some survivability up close like an Armored Bear for the AoE's. The Bear also has weak atk so aggro will be less of an issue. It already has the skills Threaten and Tough which is good for debuff luring as well as debuffing bosses. There are many different situations where it may be tough to choose which is the right pet (DPS vs Debuff). In most cases people like to see the big yellow guy (he's worshiped by some).

The Marksman has served me well for doing DD out of short AoE range. It's atk is higher and has better survivability. The longer ranged cactos will have their place in long range AoE bosses and dangerous luring situations.

ah, ty tweakz.

as for the use of a debuff pet, i still think it's valid also at high levels, but heavily dependent of situation. usually at World Bosses everybody is just spamming the boss... only if ampiflied would be spammed so often b:chuckle but in that situation, having debuffs most of the time is most important, so yeah if i can get a full cycle weaken with ironwood and pierce then it's all fine.

also in TT parties i don't see clerics use that distract skill (elemental seal) often... i wonder if they've maxed it out most of the time or that they just like to DD when there's a herc around. usually i find howl comes in handy.

too bad that those debuffs are almost melee range then :(

i think i'll try getting a cactus first... i don't feel like leveling up a lvl 40ish pet all the way to 90ish XD
    edited November 2009
    1) A ranged pet (marksman, sharpshooter, inamorato, celestial) is theoretically a better puller than a fast running melee pet like kowlin.
    Time-wise, the kowlin has a slight advantage over the marksman if you start at 40-45 meters (max range where your pet will attack). However, with the new data Brael provided on attack range, this works out to less than half a second, which IMHO is not significant enough to make a difference.

Mobs seem less likely to aggro onto your pet if you send it in with its attack skills off. I haven't collected numbers on this yet, but that's been my general observation so far since playing with this idea. To make a ranged pet attack at range, you have to turn its skills off anyway. Turning the kowlin's skills off removes its primary advantage over the ranged pets (the bright red attack animation which tells you when to unsummon).
    2) In certain situations (like the bosses provided in OP), a ranged pet is an effective and efficient tanker compaired to hercules.
    Yes. Those bosses tend to use weaker attacks when ranged compared to melee. So even though a ranged pet like a Marksman has weaker defense than a herc, the weaker attacks actually make it easier to spamheal.

The drawback is that a ranged pet without skills does low damage. So fights will take longer, and if you're grouped it will be that much easier to steal aggro from the pet. Like Brael, I don't have the time or patience to sit at a world boss for 2-4 hours soloing it. But if that sort of thing floats your boat, why not.
    3) In situations with mobs/bosses with AOE or bramble skill, a ranged pet is an effective and efficient DD alternative to melee pets.
    I haven't run into much which uses bramble, and I'm usually in fox form so can just purge it. AOE is a tricky matter - tweakz's Marksman has strong and protect (the two herc defensive buffs). Unless you also have those scrolls, I'd say just use a herc against AOE mobs.

The point was more mobs (bosses really) which use AOEs which can hit you if you have to heal a pet which is in melee range. Because a ranged pet attacks from about 10m further away than a melee pet, you can stand 10m further away from the boss and still heal your pet. In many cases this puts you outside the boss' AOE range, whereas you'd be in the AOE if healing a melee pet.
    I ran the numbers some time ago. With one attack skill like Bash, the kowlin does more damage than marksman. With two they're about equal. With three, the eldergoth is better.

Between the marksman and sting (L89 cactus):
    attack - marksman is slightly higher
    hp - marksman is significantly higher
    def - cactus is moderately higher
    speed - cactus is significantly faster
    range - cactus attacks from significantly further

Pick your poison.
    I use a Shadou cub for my luring half the time, it's higher def and hp allow me to run in hit the mob I need and get out, most of the time I do this without it even taking any damage what so ever. If your pet is dying in the process of luring, you really need to get some more practise in. The key is to watch the pet's attack skill (e.g. Bash) and as soon as you see it activate on the pet bar, stow the pet, don't worry if the pet's animation hasn't kicked in,
    The skill activates on the pet bar at the end of the attack animation. So if you use that as a guide, you're leaving your pet out longer than it needs to be. That's what's so nice about the kowlin - its attack animation is a bright red whirlwind which you'd have to be blind to miss. You can unsummon it right at the beginning of the animation (before the Bash or Flesh Ream skill is greyed out on the pet bar), and it practically never gets hit.

However, as I mentioned above, pets seem to draw less aggro if you send them in with attack skills off, which eliminates this as an advantage of the kowlin. Couple this with the new speed calcs and the fact that I've switched to a zeal genie for the easy pulls, and I can no longer recommend the kowlin.
    as for the use of a debuff pet, i still think it's valid also at high levels, but heavily dependent of situation. usually at World Bosses everybody is just spamming the boss... only if ampiflied would be spammed so often b:chuckle but in that situation, having debuffs most of the time is most important, so yeah if i can get a full cycle weaken with ironwood and pierce then it's all fine.
    The usefullness of a debuff pet is more a matter of your party's composition than its level. If you're frequently in a full squad with cleric and barb, then yeah a debuff pet is kinda useless. Or if you're in a tough fight where the cleric has to spamheal the barb, then a debuff pet may be the only source of debuffs available. (The game seems to have a sync problem when switching targets, so a cleric having to switch quickly and frequently between the mob and the barb is just asking for trouble.)

Barbs tell me that if they're tanking, they prefer to use their chi for aggro rather than debuffing the mob's pdef. So if the barb is tanking, you will still want to apply Ironwood or Pierce. Given how much chi Ironwood sucks, I'm beginning to suspect you get max damage trading off between the pet's Pierce and your Ironwood, and using the chi you save for a spark eruption.

Threaten still has a role to play if you're in a group without a barb. Since the skill lasts 15 sec with 30 sec cooldown, ideally you want two pets with it as their active skill. Just have the second pet fire it right when the first pet's Threaten runs out, then leave the skill on auto.

And AFAIK, if you don't have a cleric in the group, Howl is the only source of mdef debuff.
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2009
    I tested a level 4 soft cactopod, the distance was quite a bit less than amp. I wasn't able to get multiple distances for range though when doing it, so the measurement won't be as close as for the celestial sting.

Using the same method though, I came up with 788 pixels (I zoomed in more for this one) giving me a confirmed 10m, the soft cactopod came to 547 pixels, giving it a range of 6.94m at the low end of the range. I wasn't able to get a second ability in to get a high end for it, but it's somewhere between 7m and 7.5m most likely. If I get a chance (or if someone else wants to) I'll try a level 50ish cactopod, as well as a soft cactopod leveled up to the 40-50 range to see how they compare, and if the cactopods distance increases as it levels, or if it's based entirely on the tame level.
  • tweakz
    edited November 2009
    tweakz's Marksman has strong and protect (the two herc defensive buffs). Unless you also have those scrolls, I'd say just use a herc against AOE mobs.

They aren't relevant on the short range AoE Bosses. The ranged pets can free you up to focus on debuff/ dd.
  • verse
    edited November 2009
    flood me with info, nice XD

thanks a lot, much appreciated, imma put some time in thinking bout this ^^
  • Yurikko - Lost City
    Yurikko - Lost City Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    i'll name you a situation where it's not just about unsummoning pet in time (skil activation bar thing that you just named). brigand & linus in FB79 - 50% of the time pet gets hit - and that's not because i don't pull pet out in time. my kowlin (87) barely survives that situation. also pulling out coredash boss from his room in TT3-1 is 50/50 on his first action. sometimes coredash starts hitting on kowlin before kowlin even gets in range. sometimes it starts hitting on kowlin after he's fired off flesh ream / bash.

but like said in OP, this thread is not only about having an alternative for pulling. and no, it's not only about "how to do it right".

Eh, for Linus/Brigand, I tend to use my Armoured bear, activate the tough skill and send it in, it may get hit once or twice but the damage is minimal, because that's generally only the additional mobs that have hit not the bosses. As much as I can see a use for a ranged pet, I do rather the other pets, just a personal choice. In the end, all that matters if the boss is running at the tank without additional mobs.

But also, the reason the Kowlin dies so fast, is because it has barely any defence, it's graph clearly stats it's a fast moving high attack power pet, which is actually more suited to land pvp, really, in my opinion. You need to use a pet that has the ability to take a few hits so it can land a blow. That way when the boss does start to hit before your pet is there, it won't get one shotted and can survive long enough to do it's job.
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2009
    Leveled the soft cactopod to 34 and tested it, the range didn't change which confirms it doesn't go up as a pet levels.

I also checked an eldergoth sharpshooter, I came up with a range of 11.24-11.71m. It's close enough that I don't think there's any difference with the apes. There's a level 38 cactopod that I wouldn't mind testing either but I'm not sure where to find it.

So, right now I can pretty much confirm tame level influences distance, race may play a factor, need the level 38 cactopod to get a better idea of that.

Right now it looks like:
    Soft Cactopod (L4) - ~7.3m
    Eldergoth Marksman (L41) - 11.7m
    Eldergoth Sharpshooter (L46) - 11.7m
    Celestial Sting (L89) - ~14.2m

Once there's more info, the approximate distances should probably be updated to the first page.
  • kenlee
    kenlee Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2009

I never had a kowlin, I use guardian wolf since 4x and left it at lvl 77 (lazy to lvl so many pets). So far didnt fail to lure... of course it has less speed than kowlin but more defence and I could lure brigand & linus just fine just wait a bit till linus is going away from brigand or the other way around.
    (The only way to get a kowlin is to tame it myself, i'm not paying anything, so probably still no kowlin in the near future)
  • tweakz
    edited November 2009
    What we're seeing I think with the inconsistent distances is latency being a factor. The faster the pet, the more affected.

I found the pod to be a pain to level on OMA mobs BUT is a 2 shot deal on Array Guards in OHT w/o pet skills! No aggro issues because they're wood / mean faced. Just Ironwood + another skill, and no worries about kiting. b:victory Where the non ranged Array mobs are often crowded: these are not.

I tried the cacto for luring Stygean today rather than the traditional Armored Bear/ Threaten (which he'd sometimes kite for), or the Marksman. I backed up about 12m while it was off, and wow did it give me a comfortable distance to summon Herc from!

I finally sold my Kowlin w/ Reflect for 5m. That pet is totally useless (afaics anyway)! Think it's good for the DWP Legion Event? -The pod wouldn't even have to move most of the time. Reflect on the Kowlin didn't work as I'd hoped.
  • ewingoil
    ewingoil Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    I found the pod to be a pain to level on OMA mobs BUT is a 2 shot deal on Array Guards in OHT w/o pet skills! No
    What does OMA and OHT stand for?
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2009
    What we're seeing I think with the inconsistent distances is latency being a factor. The faster the pet, the more affected.

I don't think so. I can go up to a mob which will chain cast, and hit it with a curse (to get a 10m distance), then summon the soft cactopod and it will run up to the mob a bit before it attacks. But I can summon the sting (or marksman) doing the same thing and it will attack from where I summon it. Really, I think tame level is a big factor in attack range for range pets. Not sure on the formula right now, but tat's what the data points towards.
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    OHT = Old Heavens Tear (map that's accessable after you've finished the Chrono Wheel quest at or above level 70.)

Has anyone tried the Abominations of the Plain (apes east of Burning Heart/southeast of Thousand Streams Southern Outskirts)? Are they ranged or melee?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    edited November 2009
    Melee. The Acephalid's are in the level range and will cast if you're out of melee range, so they can be range tanked but seeing as how they do a physical ae (with a channeling speed debuff for added fun) it's not really recommended. You would be better off with the Stoney Boogins (archers, they don't move though) or the Ossuar Calvalry if you're looking for something that can be range tanked in that vicinity.
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Dont know about you guys, but I "used" tame pet to lure brigand/linus in the past. Dont know if that changed along with luring with genie skills.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.