Annor's Archer Basics (guide)

Options

Comments

• Annor - Heavens Tear
    Annor - Heavens Tear Posts: 330 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I love my CS wings, maybe i didnt give Flight Mastery a fair review, ill have a look at redressing that.

Added some useful links to to offsite information in the empty post I'd been holding.
    Meek with words, abrupt with arrows.
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    I agree with the others that Flight Mastery has it uses. Perhaps that can be marked as "Level as you wish, it is independent of your ability as an archer."
  • Goldian - Dreamweaver
    Goldian - Dreamweaver Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Hey annor,

i've got another noob question;

I just reached lvl 46, did sueserix quest and got my bow of the goddess with one socket.

Wich gem should i place in it? In my armor and stuff i put +hp gems, i wonder if i would place +metal dmg gem in my weapon? Since tundershock reduces an ennemy resistance against metal it might be usefull..

Help me asap im waiting for you so i can put my darn gem in it ;p

Thanks!
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Always go garnet, elemental damage gems add flat damage which is dealt as its described on the gem (with the exception of thundershock); physical damage gems are multiplied by your dexterity, blazing arrow and bow mastery. Generally you won't want to use thundershock too much in your regular rotations, and its definately not worth using just to benefit your gem damage.
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    Legerity - Sanctuary Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    mmm, since someone has provoked me in posting again - I'll post here too!

Well err, I'm back :D (kinda...not really..)

re: elemental soulstones
    I thought soulstone elemental bonuses only apply to "normal" attacks meaning if you cast a skill, the bonus won't apply. I could be wrong though (I hope I am).

Annor, thoughts? =o
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    Options
    Not sure to be honest, I'll leave this to others to confirm/deny/argue (garnet ftw, all you need to know imo :D). But I believe Goldian was referring to normal attacks, just debuffing first with Thundershock to have the metal damage amplified.

so:
    Thundershock
    ->Normal Attack + gem metal damage (+%amplified from reduced metal resistance)
    ->etc

But yes, i dont think its worth it.
  • Goldian - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2009
    Options
    physical damage gems are multiplied by your dexterity, blazing arrow and bow mastery.

I'm talking bout that so thanks just need phys attack + gems
  • mbrunestud
    mbrunestud Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Options
    ugh i lvl'd take aim to 10 on receiving TT60 and i must say i regret it. its completely not necessary and im finding i still cast/cancel for chi, albeit now at 100 mana a cast eating through my charms b:sad
  • Goldian - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2009
    Options
    mbrunestud wrote: »
    ugh i lvl'd take aim to 10 on receiving TT60 and i must say i regret it. its completely not necessary and im finding i still cast/cancel for chi, albeit now at 100 mana a cast eating through my charms b:sad

I only use take aim to get some chi while I fight..
    Now my opening skill will be Deadly shot :) i passd lvl 49 (50)

Deadly shot stays at lvl 1 right annor?
    Also thunderous blast isnt worth to lvl beyond lvl 1?
    And sharpenned tooth arrows? I start lvling around lvl 60+?

Ps: Congratz annor for your level. Now you can choose your path ^^ I guess it will be Demon? I'm sure to pick Demon
  • Mitsukaix - Heavens Tear
    Mitsukaix - Heavens Tear Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Building an archer with Annors guide for pure dex,cat wait till higher lvls
    "You Have Nothing To Fear In Life But Fear Itself"
    ~Angel~Of~Death~ TotalSin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    Options
    to Goldian:
    -Take Aim should be chi-only until much later levels (at least 80s and above)

-If you like deadly shot you can level it, I always prefered Frost Arrow as a PVE opener

-Thunderous Blast, level as you see fit, if you use it often an investment is worthwhile... this generally won't see too much action when soloing though

-Sharpened Tooth Arrow might as well be allocated levels as soon as they become available. It is a very useful skill for the debuff and the AOE effect, and as it is a late game skill, spirit conflicts start to disappear when you get to it.
  • Mitsukaix - Heavens Tear
    Mitsukaix - Heavens Tear Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Dont really Use Take aim that much as the charge time takes to long If sombody else coms they just hit it faster and take it...
    Frost Arrow....Wat can i say...Luv the thing =D
    Never really had chance to use Sharpen Tooth Arrow Yet
    Deadly shot i found is handy in pk,Spark Eruption then deadly shot and Dead
    Thunderous Blast..I love messin with AoE's =D
    "You Have Nothing To Fear In Life But Fear Itself"
    ~Angel~Of~Death~ TotalSin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Okaaaay... major changes made, I hope they are for the best.

-PVP section dramatically re-worked and upgraded
    -Guide slightly shortened (by removal of pointless blathery words)
    -A couple of fixes
    -some formatting changes for err... prettiness
    -More um... love <3

Feedback appreciated ;)

Another tyty to everyone who read it ^^
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Your guide has been shaping up rather nicely, but I can still see some minor issues where you might change things:

I think "Knockback Arrow (Efct1, Halt) Knocks target back, buying time (effect does not work in PVP)" should end with "... (effect does not work on players)". You can knockback veno pets.

You might also put lightning skills with your "Wingspan - see above" section for melee. Sage frost arrow might also belong here? Does anyone know?

Stunning arrow can cancel an opponents attack which can be very useful sometimes but its extra channeling time sometimes means I could have killed your opponent and instead let myself get hit. (When estimating lag until shot I must include whichever shot I am currently launching so my time from normal attack to stun can easily be three seconds.)

When canceling attacks (either when kiting or when using sharpened tooth on a boss), I like holding down my move key during my attack so my next action will be movement. (Or, when fighting Vipenalt, I might make a combo which only does sharpened tooth arrow.)

[But I will not say anything else about PvP because I am still too weak and I would prefer people follow your guide instead of killing me and my friends. (Your advice was not exactly wrong but overlooks some important issues.)]

b:cute
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    2 things
    armor=the godsend of cheap grinding is -attack interval equips, most(all?) wrists can have this bonus at -.05 which is worth searching for and the dq60 ones (worth it) and gold tt90 have -.1
    useing winged shell+normal attacks, including a take aim/cancel start on each mob to build chi in it
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    Options
    @Fleuri
    The veno pet knockback I may add

I'll probably avoid putting lightning skills in the melee section, I've already covered that they arent penalized in melee, posting each of them twice is likely to cause confusion and waste space (sage frost arrow is penalized in melee)

I like your Tooth-only combo, never thought of that ^^

@Mosz
    -Interval Equipment I did mention, but maybe i could pay more lip service to that

Ty, that combo should have a Take Aim at the start, i do use it in that combo, not sure why i left it out ^^

Some of these suggestions are good... but in wanting to keep the guide at a vaguely readable length might not make it, ty though guys ;)
  • Goldian - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Annor is a goddess!!! Thanks you so much

Want to know how far iwent with your tips? ;)

At lvl 56
    Pk lvl 61 veno got dragon scale mold
    Pkd lvl 73 Barb
    Win duels against 66 veno
    win duels against 56 archer
    win duels against 61 archer
    win duels against everything =p

I loveyou so damn much!! :)
  • Goldian - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2009
    Options
    to Goldian:
    -Take Aim should be chi-only until much later levels (at least 80s and above)

-If you like deadly shot you can level it, I always prefered Frost Arrow as a PVE opener

-Thunderous Blast, level as you see fit, if you use it often an investment is worthwhile... this generally won't see too much action when soloing though

-Sharpened Tooth Arrow might as well be allocated levels as soon as they become available. It is a very useful skill for the debuff and the AOE effect, and as it is a late game skill, spirit conflicts start to disappear when you get to it.

No take aim for me, and yea deadly shot on lvl 2.. and i keep it at 2 so far.. I only use deadly shot in pk when my stun suceeds

Thunderous blast i left at lvl 1.. kinda dumb skill, dissapointed..
    Shapenned tooth arrow i will keep for later lvls like ive read on this topic

Btw if you want to edit your tut

Pk combos:
    Against cleric: When the countdown begins Shield, then stunning arrow>Deadly shot>All regular till its dead and maybe a lighting strike

against veno: Actually the same strategy.. just a bit more strikes

Against Barb, Stay far, use your shield in begin then stunning arrow, dont try to kite him let him come close, just use Thunder shock>strike>regular regular>strike etc.. so easy.. realy archer ownz =)
  • dmaster0608
    dmaster0608 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    hehe hey anny ^_^, Your forums ROCK iv been levelin my archer from lvl 1 as a pure archer. Even now i hit alot of crits and its all thanks to u anny :) ur an awsome friend to have
  • Puredevon - Heavens Tear
    Puredevon - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    By the way its PureDevon, hehe havent learned how to set avatar yet
  • Goldian - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Hey annor, I've reached lvl 59.
    I've been thinking of lvl barrage to 1 for zhenning but because zhenning is very expensive and stuff, ill first see if the squad that wants me repays the charm used.

Also what do you think of wings of grace? Does it get casted quick enough? Cause my combo in pvp is already good, but i could use something that gives me immunity against sleep..

I didn't lvl Sharpanned tooth arrow, that's for later like you mentioned before i think ;p

I maxed my shield tough.

Give me your opinion asap, im waiting with coins and spirit XD

<3 Annor!
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Wings of Grace is amazing, take it and learn to love it. Play around with it yourself and find the best ways to use it. One of the amazing things about Wings of Grace in PVP is the long cast time, you're immune for that time, so if your opponent is sparked, or you're taking too much damage -- thats a short period of invulnerability while your charm recharges.

If your zhen group pays for your charm... they are more generous than any i've ever been in ^^.

Sharpened Tooth Arrow comes into its own in its higher ranks.. but you should definately have it at least level 1 for the AOE effect. It doesnt hurt to invest slowly rather than pay massive amounts to take it from 1 to 10 later (its one of the most expensive skills to level).
  • Goldian - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Wings of Grace is amazing, take it and learn to love it. Play around with it yourself and find the best ways to use it. One of the amazing things about Wings of Grace in PVP is the long cast time, you're immune for that time, so if your opponent is sparked, or you're taking too much damage -- thats a short period of invulnerability while your charm recharges.

If your zhen group pays for your charm... they are more generous than any i've ever been in ^^.

Sharpened Tooth Arrow comes into its own in its higher ranks.. but you should definately have it at least level 1 for the AOE effect. It doesnt hurt to invest slowly rather than pay massive amounts to take it from 1 to 10 later (its one of the most expensive skills to level).

Oke well with what you say, and what ive heard from the higest lvl archer in dream.. Ill take wings of grace and sharpened lvl 1. and ill keep barrage till late 65's

Give me you're confirmation before i spend the spirit ^^
    Btw, archer ownz ;) 2-3 hits everyone i lovd the pk i made XD fking mold ^^
  • Annor - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    Options
    ...confirmed.

:D
  • Goldian - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2009
    Options
    ...confirmed.

:D

Thanks Annie ;) I think every noob loves you haha b:laughb:victory
  • Elfaria - Dreamweaver
    Elfaria - Dreamweaver Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Vicious and Serrated arrow.

Do you high levels use these DoT often?
    I seem to use it straight after a Freezing or Aim low when grinding mobs.
    Without it, I seem to not be able to kill them without comming to me.
    Rotation - Freezing/Aim low - Serrated - regular - KB - regular etc.

Do you think its a waste of money and spirit to continue leveling my Serrated arrow skill?
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Vicious and Serrated arrow.

Do you high levels use these DoT often?
    I seem to use it straight after a Freezing or Aim low when grinding mobs.
    Without it, I seem to not be able to kill them without comming to me.
    Rotation - Freezing/Aim low - Serrated - regular - KB - regular etc.

Do you think its a waste of money and spirit to continue leveling my Serrated arrow skill?

I was a DoT archer from level 20s to level 60s. Then I read on some thread (not this one) about this combo:

Frost Arrow -> Attack -> Attack -> Knockback

I have not looked back since. DoT really is not the way to go.

The monsters might still reach you with the aforementioned combo. I used Winged Shell (if necessary) and then use Lightning, Winged Pledge, and/or Wing Span as close combat skills. At level 60, most of the monsters have ranged attacks. As a result, you usually do not have to worry about monsters reaching you. For the same reason, when you grind outside of quests, I suggest finding monsters with ranged attacks and in the sky (extra XP).

That being said, if what you do works for you, go ahead and keep the combo. It might not work 15 or 20 levels from now if you do not level Serrated Arrow, but if it works now, go ahead and use it.

Don't worry about the wasted spirit. You will have spare spirit in no time. I have over 2 million at this point.

In case you wanted to know, I'm a hybrid, PvE archer who usually wears HP / MP Recovery gear. I cannot speak for Player Killing, dueling, nor Territory Wars.
  • wsteyert
    wsteyert Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    My first archer was frost arrow>attack>attack>knockback>attack. That worked well except for one thing. You burn thru mana pots. I would leave the West Arch gate toting 50 condensed mana pots. I stopped at lvl 32 and made a new archer...now level 44.

This is what works for me now and has worked since lvl 1. I recommend to anyone who has cash issues to give this a try.

Winged shell is the key. I use it AT LEAST on every other pull. I keep winged shell maxed, and take aim maxed. That's right you "Take Aim" haters! I keep it maxed. I will get lvl 10 next lvl. The amazing thing about this is by lvl 45 you are starting off your pull with a triple damage shot. If you critical on that you just did 6X the damage of 1 regular shot and for 100 mana!!! This skill at max level is 100 mana and will give you a triple damage shot right off the bat! Now depending on weapon i.e. xbow, bow, sling, and the mob, you will either do:

Winged Shell>Take Aim>Attack>Knockback>Attack>Attack>Attack...
    OR,
    Winged Shell>Take Aim>Attack>Attack>Knockback>Attack>Attack...

I'm not gonna research the numbers due to laziness, but check out how much mana you get back from Winged Shell. Not only does it protect you every time you cast it, it ticks back mana to the point that your level 1 knockback is cast for free and part of the Take Aim is paid for! I won't say I never use mana pots. Sometimes you might miss that Take Aim or the Knockback and you have to Lightening strike their a$$, but overall the mana conservation is incredible. Though Winged Shell uses a good chunk of Chi alot of it comes right back after using the Take Aim and Knockback. Once I've been grinding for a couple miuntes my spark is lit and I'm always 70% or better on the Chi Bar. If your Chi starts to dip then don't cast Winged Shell for a couple pulls.

I'd like to emphasize this point once more to those who say Take Aim is a waste above lvl 1. By lvl 45 the spell will nvr cost more than 100 mana! For a 3 second charge the triple damage hit (300%) or (600%) w/crit is unbeatable. My mana bar will only last that much longer the higher I get. Try it, I guarantee you'll love it.

Dark_Lord
    Defiance
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    wsteyert wrote: »
    The amazing thing about this is by lvl 45 you are starting off your pull with a triple damage shot.

You might be right, but maybe you should inspect your numbers?

Level 10 take aim will do your base physical damage plus 300% of your weapon damage. And, personally, my base physical damage is 500% of my weapon damage, because of my current dexterity and my equipment (though perhaps my equipment physical damage bonuses get counted in my weapon damage?). So I expect level 10 take aim to be doing 800%/500% or 60% extra damage. Of course a 60% damage boost can be nice. Of course if I took two shots I might be doing an extra 100% damage, but my opening shot will be different. (Then again, I often prefer some other skill for my opening shot.)
  • Awake - Dreamweaver
    Awake - Dreamweaver Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    At what lvl do u get the chance too chose between saga and demon? And will there be a guide for it in the nearest future?