test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Elemental Evil Preview Patch Notes NW.45.20150515a.2

Comments

• fizbadfizbad Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    meirami wrote: »
    Cleanse works with every other class's temp HP, so instead of fixing the only broken class (OP), it was decided that just removing DC's heroic feat was reasonable and completely justified?
    Yup. Mind-boggling. This approach to "fixing" bugs is extremely aggravating.
  • almondumalmondum Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Cleanse: This feat has been reworked to removed Damage over Time effects from allies, rather than all possible debuffs.

I think there will be no answer, but I will ask anyway.
    What is the reasoning behind this change?

I suspect this: It was easier to remake it than to fix it? Now I have an even more useless heroic feat tree. Maybe we should just delete clerics and replace them with loladins?

Sad panda here,
    Have fun everyone,

Almondum.
  • rustlordrustlord Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    almondum wrote: »

I suspect this: It was easier to remake it than to fix it? Now I have an even more useless heroic feat tree. Maybe we should just delete clerics and replace them with loladins?

Sad panda here,
    Have fun everyone,

Almondum.

Most accurate guess is, the conditional clause that validates if a player status is a debuff is on the same layer with the Pally's temp HP, removing that too. Sometimes, if it's too hard to exterminate bugs, you just have to burn the entire house to the ground. That's some real world programming wisdom fellas ;P
  • gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2015
    almondum wrote: »

Sad panda here,
    Have fun everyone,

Almondum.

Its actually pretty simple. The Paladin Temp HP is a symptom of a much bigger issue. It was flagged to remove ANYTHING that could show up as a debuff on your character. Currently there is no way to exclude effects from that and it could break encounter mechanics that we wanted players to get an icon on their character for. This wasn't really acceptable and it just isn't feasible to rework every single debuff in the game to work right with cleanse (not to mention really confusing). Given that we have opted for the simpler fix that will streamline and make it target pretty specific things. I could see removing the ICD from it so that DCs can basically strip DoT effects off of players more consistently, but we definitely had to get the fix in to prevent it from breaking things further.
  • schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Its actually pretty simple. The Paladin Temp HP is a symptom of a much bigger issue. It was flagged to remove ANYTHING that could show up as a debuff on your character. Currently there is no way to exclude effects from that and it could break encounter mechanics that we wanted players to get an icon on their character for. This wasn't really acceptable and it just isn't feasible to rework every single debuff in the game to work right with cleanse (not to mention really confusing). Given that we have opted for the simpler fix that will streamline and make it target pretty specific things. I could see removing the ICD from it so that DCs can basically strip DoT effects off of players more consistently, but we definitely had to get the fix in to prevent it from breaking things further.

I complitly agree with this fix .

Example :

The old Fabled Iliyanbruen set for any class had some ITC like this Fabled Iliyanbruen
    4 of Set: Your attacks poison your foe, dealing 5,684 Poison damage over 15 seconds. You may only poison someone once every 30 seconds.

and cleanse just removed on each procc the 30 seconds itc.

The most broken thing was on SW+ DC and more dc used this more time coud procc SW set bonus...
    It was to broken.

Imagine it on tiamat HE.
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Fair enough but could you please consider expanding the list of stuff that DCs can Cleanse to CCs, because that to me was the real utility of that feat, both when playing AS a cleric, or WITH one.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Thank you for the info!

IMHO removing the ICD is a good enough ad-hoc compromise, though in the long run it might be better to give it an overhaul, IMHO, because the removal of e.g. slow effects etc. was one of the Cleanse core features to me. It is completely clear that this will take time, but just leaving is as it is now wouldn't be really desireable, even with the ICD removed. Then it would probably be better to replace the feat with something else.
  • suddenlyslowsuddenlyslow Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    teribad15 wrote: »
    can we except any balance changes for TR piercing dmg atm its ridiculous they re doing 10k shadow oppurtunity procs or 90k SEs i think tenacity was a way to fix that, you can also make ArP resistance also resist piercing dmg this would tonedown insane amounts of piercing dmg TR deals.

It is another thing that is going to be difficult to fix. SO does a meager 3% of a TR damage in PvE so any outright nerf to it would need to not affect PvE. I fear they have coded many things without thinking about leaving ways to be flexible for future changes.

I would have really thought when they made the stat changes for mod 6 that they would have done away with the tenacity model for PvP and normalized the two for the most part. Then they could have simply altered specific powers where needed to be different in PvP/PvE. Now we have some hodgepodge mix with compounding factors (Tenancity/DR/sedondary DR, etc) and everything as well as the intent is being obfuscated by the contrived mechanism to handle the variations -- and it is failing.
  • lupisulupisu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Thank you for clearing that up. Not much you can do but disable it in that case.

Just be aware that even with ICD removed cleanse in it's new form would not be desirable to most players. Hopefully it can be considered written off for now and gotten back to the next time you are taking a look at DC feats.

On the matter of Astral Seal as you are introducing a cooldown is there any consideration for removing diminishing returns for successive heals? These seem like two means to achieve similar results and having both at once is the only thing keeping me from being optimistic about the numbers after the change. Losing the rapid proc mechanic it had for feats and boons is unfortunate, but once again likely central to why it was a problem in the first place.
  • lilhamletlilhamlet Member Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited June 2015

The issue is that the simpler fix has further hurt the Devoted Cleric in terms of class balancing. Cleanse was the only counter that Clerics have for control effects.

For cleanse to clear Damage Over Time specifically makes it a useless feat, as any DoT is addressed by Healing, which a DC does with or without cleanse. Much of the Cleric healing is done as Heal Over Time which already counters the DoT.

This feat is now pointless, as most of the other Cleric feats with 5 min internal cooldowns, or requiring 40,000 power for 5 feat points to generate a 1% critical chance increase.

At this point, I am wondering if there is any consideration or effort to bring this class' heroic feats in line with those of all the other classes, or is class-balancing just irrelevant or of minimal priority to the development team.
  • szamanos2szamanos2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Interesting that OP has been already nerfed and SW still has ridiculous broken things(fabled, wrath claw).

I am glad I am already done because w/o DJ OPs leveling and dailying will be a lot harder.

Yes . They should fix bugged Soul puppet and broken Fabled set on 60 lvl .
  • mstrssihrmstrssihr Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    panderus wrote: »
      • There is now a minimum amount of time that must pass before a player may be vote kicked from a party. It should be enough time that it will be worth attempting any content before being able to kick the player.

*** PLEASE rethink a tweak to this you guys! What if that player keeps running in and getting the group killed? What if that player is just standing around and or afk'ing? What if that player is abusive towards the rest of the group? What if that player bugs the dungeon but you want to do the proper way? What if...... You don't read this :( What kinda time are we talking about here? *concerned*
    - Major Peachy Bottom * Gutbuster's Brigade -

"Last request - microtransactions for alllll old skins for zen/weapon appearance changes, 500 zen to make ur wep glow the color/enchant you want it... You will make more off that one item than any other zen item ever made." freshour

"beckylunatic" Gateway AH should have column headers to sort by buyout, bid, end time, quantity, etc. These disappeared iirc with the module launch. It's obnoxious.
  • iolyniolyn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Why don't you just make Cleanse work like Paladin's Cleansing Touch (remove any CC effect)?
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    teribad15 wrote: »
    can we except any balance changes for TR piercing dmg atm its ridiculous they re doing 10k shadow oppurtunity procs or 90k SEs i think tenacity was a way to fix that, you can also make ArP resistance also resist piercing dmg this would tonedown insane amounts of piercing dmg TR deals.

This. 100%.

Piercing damage NEEDS to = "These attacks attack with 100% armor penetration" - thus they DONT avoid tenacity but instead get a nice ARP boost.
    edited June 2015
    It is another thing that is going to be difficult to fix. SO does a meager 3% of a TR damage in PvE so any outright nerf to it would need to not affect PvE. I fear they have coded many things without thinking about leaving ways to be flexible for future changes.

I would have really thought when they made the stat changes for mod 6 that they would have done away with the tenacity model for PvP and normalized the two for the most part. Then they could have simply altered specific powers where needed to be different in PvP/PvE. Now we have some hodgepodge mix with compounding factors (Tenancity/DR/sedondary DR, etc) and everything as well as the intent is being obfuscated by the contrived mechanism to handle the variations -- and it is failing.

As I just posted. Making it INSTEAD attack wiht 100% ARP wouldnt change PVE AT ALL.

I agree on this point. I would MUCH rather them remove "tenacity" as a stat, give all players a BASE of the current values we have now (40%) and move from there.

This would actually get PVP players doing PVE again.

The PVP gear SHOULD be "on par" in some respects to the ilvl 137 PVE gear, however nothing will cause a HUGE boost to PVE dungeon runs then allowing PVP players to farm different gear.

I cant tell you how much PVE I used to run for the old sets (pre modules). Now I have no reason to.

Having a "top tier" pvp armor I think is important, but making it the ONLY choice for PVP is a big mistake.
    edited June 2015
    ayroux wrote: »
    As I just posted. Making it INSTEAD attack wiht 100% ARP wouldnt change PVE AT ALL.

I agree on this point. I would MUCH rather them remove "tenacity" as a stat, give all players a BASE of the current values we have now (40%) and move from there.

This would actually get PVP players doing PVE again.

The PVP gear SHOULD be "on par" in some respects to the ilvl 137 PVE gear, however nothing will cause a HUGE boost to PVE dungeon runs then allowing PVP players to farm different gear.

I cant tell you how much PVE I used to run for the old sets (pre modules). Now I have no reason to.

Having a "top tier" pvp armor I think is important, but making it the ONLY choice for PVP is a big mistake.

I have always found it funny that it seems almost every game has the pvp/pve balance problems and few have figured out that the solution is simple -- design the game around the pvp game play. I know this sounds odd to some but it isn't when you think about it and it leads to a better and more challenging game all around and greatly eases the burden to the designers and the confusion and other problems for the players.
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I have always found it funny that it seems almost every game has the pvp/pve balance problems and few have figured out that the solution is simple -- design the game around the pvp game play. I know this sounds odd to some but it isn't when you think about it and it leads to a better and more challenging game all around and greatly eases the burden to the designers and the confusion and other problems for the players.

Except that Neverwinter isn't a PVP-centric game. It's primarily for the PVE.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User
    edited June 2015

I think he's saying design the PVP component first, so it's balanced and awesome. Then you can add PVE encounters that scale. ;D
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
    Thanks for all the fish.
  • spideymtspideymt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Servers up?

• rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited June 2015

i would agree but we are near to have more pvp maps than dungeons... just saying
    edited June 2015
    I think he's saying design the PVP component first, so it's balanced and awesome. Then you can add PVE encounters that scale. ;D

Exactly this and it does away with the balancing nightmares that we face today and the focus of the devs becomes more precise and they are not distracted by considering the impact of one change against the other and they don't have to endlessly work the cycle of buff/nerf/buff/nerf one then the other to try and establish some form of a balance between the two (which since they have not been able to do as of yet I would say makes my suggestion even more valid).

I realize it is a PvE focused game but what I say does not draw away from that aspect. It actually simplifies the approach to PvE and lends to more imaginative solutions to providing fun and a challenge without relying on gimmicks of simply inflating damage/defense/etc. Ask yourself why you have to do so much more damage in PvE and you find yourself saying because the enemy has so much more HP, then you ask yourself why they have so much more HP and you find yourself saying to provide more of a challenge. Repeat this process and you will see a pattern and the solution is then so obvious that I am surprised it is never implemented.
    edited June 2015
    Exactly this and it does away with the balancing nightmares that we face today and the focus of the devs becomes more precise and they are not distracted by considering the impact of one change against the other and they don't have to endlessly work the cycle of buff/nerf/buff/nerf one then the other to try and establish some form of a balance between the two (which since they have not been able to do as of yet I would say makes my suggestion even more valid).

I realize it is a PvE focused game but what I say does not draw away from that aspect. It actually simplifies the approach to PvE and lends to more imaginative solutions to providing fun and a challenge without relying on gimmicks of simply inflating damage/defense/etc. Ask yourself why you have to do so much more damage in PvE and you find yourself saying because the enemy has so much more HP, then you ask yourself why they have so much more HP and you find yourself saying to provide more of a challenge. Repeat this process and you will see a pattern and the solution is then so obvious that I am surprised it is never implemented.

Balance focus on PvP first and then working PvE around those mechanics was how Warhammer Online was designed and it is still one of my favorite MMOs I've played, enjoying both PvP and PvE.

I think at this stage, the constant cry of "Neverwinter is not a PvP game" is just a way of giving a pass to poor design. The moment it was decided to have an active PvP component, even building Modules around it, it became a PvP game.

What is needed here is tabula rasa (blank slate, not the ill-fated game), even if it takes time. The rework on stat scaling was ALWAYS going to be problematic in terms of balance, if the math behind the class mechanics wasn't going to be reworked for the new paradigm. To implement those changes without rebalancing the classes is what leads us to where we are now. Realistically, we need to wonder if there are the resources and the will to really do this. I've seen no dedicated statement as to the road map on this game, and instead a stream of marketing pieces.

It was a cute idea to think that the mod release would be made and class balancing just fixed periodically and frequently in the following weeks, but to date instead we still have fixes being made creating more issues that require fixes, likely putting class balancing on the bottom of priority lists, especially with the promise of another new release within the next 3-4 months.
  • fizbadfizbad Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    It's fine if it targets specific things, but I don't think DoT is the most useful "specific thing" to target. Would it be feasible to target CC instead?

edit: It seems that I've joined the choir of just about any other DC around here. Heh.
    edited June 2015

The difference here though is they MADE specific "feats" and powers specifically FOR the purpose of PVP. Piercing damage had no role in PVE, so why did they add it? PVP. Where is it broken? PVP. So it seems very silly to say that.

Also as mjytresz stated.... its not even around balance currently either its more about match making. There would be MUCH less issues in the game if matchmaking was actually implemented. Not this current bug system we have now.

I would honestly rather opt for ZERO "matchmaking" than the current system that "pretends to do it" because frankly we hardly ever get balanced games anyways AND we sit in que for a LONG time. Atleast before we had insta Que pops. The same imbalance but hey, if they wont remove imbalance id rather have faster ques...
  • denvalddenvald Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 702 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Warlock Creeping Death nerf
    I am the monk, martial skill transcends the battlefield
    It is my my life style, my doctrine and my state of mind,
    You fight well, but without focus and discipline, you will fall.

More threads by me / Click on it B)
    My Support Warlock/Temptation Thread
    edited June 2015
    denvald wrote: »
    Warlock Creeping Death nerf

Cleanse always could remove DoT effects. More importantly in most people's minds, it could also remove CC effects. So you're unhappy about one interaction this makes with your fave class, but DC players are unhappy because it's a pretty significant nerf for them too.

Neverwinter Census 2017

edited June 2015
    Cleanse always could remove DoT effects. More importantly in most people's minds, it could also remove CC effects. So you're unhappy about one interaction this makes with your fave class, but DC players are unhappy because it's a pretty significant nerf for them too.

Haha... I would gladly let denvald keep his DoT so that I can cleanse chill stacks, roots, dazes, stuns, slows. I can't express this enough...
  • almondumalmondum Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Thanks for the answer Gentle, I wasn't expecting it at all.
    What bothers me and many other clerics and that because of some programming bugs/mechanics/whatever....Devouted Clerics are losing utility...
    Devouted Cleric Heroic Feat tree is utterly insignificant in importance when comparing to other classes....this is really very unpleasing.
    Can someting be done about it?

Once again, thanks for a quick reply,
    Have fun everyone,

Almondum.
  • umscheumsche Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 461 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    panderus wrote: »
    Classes and Balance
    [*]Professions: Jewelcrafting: The Personalized Adamant Ring of Regeneration, Personalized Adamant Necklace of Regeneration and Personalized Aberrant Belt of Regeneration have had their stats increased to be equivalent to or better than the Gemmed versions from which they were made

Why not adamant rings of piercing and recovery?
    edited June 2015
    umsche wrote: »
    Why not adamant rings of piercing and recovery?

Rings are all equivalent now. I think on the regen ring you lost stats when you upgraded it for the enchant slot. I don't think the *rings* need further changes.

On belts, regen gains stats when upgraded. Piercing and recovery just gain their slots.

On necks, piercing gains power but loses armor pen when upgraded. Recovery gains power but loses recovery. Regen just gains the enchant slot.

I think it's not unfair that upgrading the belts and necks would give a fairly minor stat boost across the board, because you're choosing these instead of artifact gear for yourself or Loyal gear for your companion. The rings are fine.

Neverwinter Census 2017

This discussion has been closed.