What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ask Cryptic/PWE about Neverwinter

Comments

• Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Rogue has ranged ability with daggers. It was told somewhere.

Also another thing to note is that all the powers of rogue shown in trailer "The seige of Neverwinter part 2" are actually available for use in game. How cool is that!

She uses daggers in that video.
  • Options
    daosagedaosage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 62
    edited January 2013
    Are we going to be able to put puzzles into Foundry content? I'd love to be able to add obstacles aside from just encounters with other beings into dungeons. I guess I know that there WILL be puzzles, I'm more curious about what kinds of puzzles we can put into missions.
  • Options
    kyllroy2kyllroy2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 309 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Originally Posted by crypticmapolis
    Other people can't see your loot drops unless you are grouped with them. In a group we will allow for different loot rules set by the team leader which determine if you use need/greed, round robin, free for all, etc.

Wow! Love this feature. So much learned and applied from mistakes of years and games gone by. Thank you.
  • Options
    dagger2thugtrap7dagger2thugtrap7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    Are you having that issue if the drops are outfitted to you or hitch to other class then you could sell them randomly for the benefit of appropriate tool from Vendor Seized Toolset? (Id est. you reach a mage cloak that outfits to you then you will sell it, but not for the benefit of its price. If you’ve sold this- and other players have done the same thing with else items inter alia fit tool to you- so as to be redeemed for fit tool to you .)
    -Or drops always fit for us, but if we go in team group then how do we gain loots for our team member?

-Will options be there if we join a Foundry quest which has been being acting by a few player so as to continue in the same instance hold their locations and glowing loots for unchanging when we'll rally on this quest?
  • Options
    asdaninasdanin Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    1. What will be the playerlimit of a zone created in the Foundery?
    2. Will it be possible to create a Foundery Quest where every player who takes it get's send to same instance (or gets the option to join open instances)?
    3. Will you be able to edit maps of other creators, by copying them and creating a new version with your changes?
    3.1 If 3 is yes. Will you need the permission of the author or is there going to be somekind of copyleft?
    4. Will it be possible to take areas from the game (not important if they are complete or you just get the "environment") and use them for Foundery Quests?
  • Options
    macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    No discussion about rituals. It's difficult to do things in an MMO that are listed taking hours sometimes and translating 10 minutes (for the rest) into an MMO non wait or wait for bars to finish pain.

Yes. Feats are a separate point tree however.

The game takes care of if/when we see traps. But only one with the thievery skill can handle them.

No. Each class has their own feat tree.And it looks like the feat specialty branches at the end too. Thank you screenshots and videos.

No. Stuff drops you can pick up and use without binding as well as bind on equip, I remember reading this somewhere but all I can say is confirmed. But all the big end rewards are likely to bind.

Based on your question, it's likely you may not understand how 4E works. While 4E starts you with 2 at will (and stays at 2 not 3) 2 encounter, and 1 daily and ends with the number mentioned as well as multiple utility powers, you can swap out powers throughout your adventurer's career. Sometimes it's all but required in the rules to keep powers updated based off of monsters at that tier and level. Your number suggested the end amount at l 30 of tabletop. I won't list the actual number because of what I'm entering next.
    The mmo game will give you powers in an unlock tree, allowing you to swap powers. The selection exceeds your numbers, and even exceed the at wills of 2 or 3 (based on the screenshots and what was viewable from what little paragon I saw shown to the public) before we even enter the Epic tier! Now, I can't give specifics both they are still testing things and NDA makes me unable to list a final number here. Again this may change at launch, but you have to earn a lot of other at-will encounter and daily powers before you can get them. But like most MMO's that's true still.

First of all i want to thank you for answer my questions truth.

Im very familiar with pnp D&D 4th edition thats why i made the question about been "stuck" with a certain amount of powers per class. I said 6 encounters, 3 at-wills and 3 dailys coz that was the nunbers i saw from all screenshots and videos. U can say that u can have only 3 encounters, 2 dailys and 2 at-wills at ur disposal during the fights and i agree with it, my concern is that in pnp u have MUCH MORE than 6 encounters, 3 at-wills and 3 dailys to chosse per class, i know u can only pick one each lvl but at least we have some to chosse from...

(from what i know) In neverwinter online u will be "stuck" to a certain number of spells the entire game without a choice to change them, yes u can swap powers to be active for combat but u will have the same (lets say) 6 encounter power for all the game.... ??

Let me put u some numbers from pnp... a fighter as an example can chosse 5 at-wills, 27 encounter powers and 16 daily powers (not counting with utilities, items clicks, racial powers or other books. Those number are only from playershand book) and thats only lvl 20 fighter (ofc u cant have all those powers chosen to ur class, thats just all the power fighters have for u to get)

Dont get me wrong, im not certain of how many powers each class can have and i uderstand the game as an MMO cant hold that many powers like pnp does but if the numbers that i metion are correct its rly small amount of powers per class.

PS: Im giving u those number from the chinesse video, they show the powers u will have at character creation when u pick the class u want to play with, that info was release in september i believe so i might be out of date.
  • Options
    testinukketestinukke Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Thanks for the answer to my previous question about lights crypticmapolis. Here's another one. Is it possible to create custom particle effects? Basically is there any sort of customizable particle emitter? If there is what level of control we have over the particle generation? Also can we bind it to nodes/objects so it moves with them and can we assign different sprites/texture overlays to them?

Edit: Also if we have particle emitters and controls it might be nice to have an option for static particles in addition to animated ones.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    macabrivs wrote: »
    ..., yes u can swap powers to be active for combat but u will have the same (lets say) 6 encounter power for all the game.... ?? ....

The number of total powers has not been fixed or finalized. It can be 10, it can be 20 or more. But it will at least be 10.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    ...snip...

If you are asking will loot be random or will loot be random (but generated for party members) then the answer is completely random.

There will be an in game economy where players can sell their loot.

Frankly I don't see the challenge in a game which only hands you items you need/want.
  • Options
    ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Having many options is great and all with regards to powers and abilities, but I'll bet every copper, silver, and gold piece on every character I've ever made that once the ACTION COMBAT starts (not infinite time based on turns), 98% of all players will find the best and most effective 2 or 3 attacks available to them and spam the hell out of them. Even if you had all powers of every class and were able to cross-contaminate/hybrid at launch, most people would find the 2 or 3 sweet-spot moves and stick with them once they got maxed. Strategy is growing less and less common, like it or not. If you want a complicated adventure that ensures strategy, planning, preparation, co-operation, etc., you'll have to make it.

As much as I may be stoned for it, my favorite customization with regards to powers and skills happened in D3, where (earlier in the game's life) I saw almost no two characters using the same skillsets. All the runes were unique. I like to call it the "cantrip effect", and if customizing our spells and attacks like that were possible with the Cryptic engine, I'd sell all of my organs (except my eyes) to stay at home and just ...... mess with everything.
  • Options
    dagger2thugtrap7dagger2thugtrap7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    -Will tight/attainable enhancing sets be there if we wanna boost our core stats of featuring one or two of them massively as bonuses? (E.g.: Tomes, nature components, highlighted contents, or if we kind of tackle a quest that we nearly complete but we finish it otherwise rather than being engaged a paragon path of this task as regards non same quest's reward of hoping to get it).
    -Could we generate such rewards which are maybe "hidden" obtaining so that we would act alternatively our characters in speeches with NPCs or we would turn the paragon track off so as to slay "tranquil villains in the near inn" and which all are based on sundry accomplishments in some quests via the Foundry?
  • Options
    denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Having many options is great and all with regards to powers and abilities, but I'll bet every copper, silver, and gold piece on every character I've ever made that once the ACTION COMBAT starts (not infinite time based on turns), 98% of all players will find the best and most effective 2 or 3 attacks available to them and spam the hell out of them. Even if you had all powers of every class and were able to cross-contaminate/hybrid at launch, most people would find the 2 or 3 sweet-spot moves and stick with them once they got maxed. Strategy is growing less and less common, like it or not. If you want a complicated adventure that ensures strategy, planning, preparation, co-operation, etc., you'll have to make it.

Well, this is part of min-maxing. The games where people didn't select the "strongest" item, power, etc are usually the worst games.

What may be true or not, instead, that there will be many VIABLE abilities, like in a real 4e pnp (i hate this word) game. I can create an optimized wizard, with the best spells, the best features and the best items and feats. But i can also create (and i've done it) a good wizard, with good spells, good features, items and feats... and have fun. As long as most things are viable, let optimizers (like most of us) play their game, and "casual" play their other game.
    Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Answers in green.

First of all i want to thank you for answer my questions truth.

Im very familiar with pnp D&D 4th edition thats why i made the question about been "stuck" with a certain amount of powers per class. I said 6 encounters, 3 at-wills and 3 dailys coz that was the nunbers i saw from all screenshots and videos. U can say that u can have only 3 encounters, 2 dailys and 2 at-wills at ur disposal during the fights and i agree with it, my concern is that in pnp u have MUCH MORE than 6 encounters, 3 at-wills and 3 dailys to chosse per class, i know u can only pick one each lvl but at least we have some to chosse from...

(from what i know) In neverwinter online u will be "stuck" to a certain number of spells the entire game without a choice to change them, yes u can swap powers to be active for combat but u will have the same (lets say) 6 encounter power for all the game.... ??

Let me put u some numbers from pnp... a fighter as an example can chosse 5 at-wills, 27 encounter powers and 16 daily powers (not counting with utilities, items clicks, racial powers or other books. Those number are only from playershand book) and thats only lvl 20 fighter (ofc u cant have all those powers chosen to ur class, thats just all the power fighters have for u to get)

Dont get me wrong, im not certain of how many powers each class can have and i uderstand the game as an MMO cant hold that many powers like pnp does but if the numbers that i metion are correct its rly small amount of powers per class.

PS: Im giving u those number from the chinesse video, they show the powers u will have at character creation when u pick the class u want to play with, that info was release in september i believe so i might be out of date.

And this is where I hit an NDA wall. I may or may not have seen other info from other people, but it's not publicly seen if so. Therefore even if it's not game tested related, I can't share it unless it's publicly released (properly) or with PWE's permission.

What I can say is based on the references you gave me, you are not seeing the total picture and there are MANY more powers and potential powers based on choices made which I can't specify if for some or all of the asked power total numbers.

But yes, expect more.

Well duh, welcome to powergamers in MMO's. That has happened when somebody figured out how to spin the wheel in the first pong paddle home video games and it has happened since. While maybe not as high as 99% (most people assume what they see is all players when their experience is actually only a small cross section sampling of the game itself which still makes an interesting and often acurate sampling if some in a truly randomly polled manner) don't be surprised if you see many people take the "easy" way rather than find out themselves. Of that group, expect the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>-hats to say they don't want you in their group unless you've specced xyz powers and feat builds or the delve is too uber to beat. IMHO, if you find the cross section of this cross section, choose ignore and find other players or play solo in this allegedly friendly to solo players game than take that lack of skill and/or training player. Again, personal opinion and not speaking on behalf of anybody else.

As much as I may be stoned for it, my favorite customization with regards to powers and skills happened in D3, where (earlier in the game's life) I saw almost no two characters using the same skillsets. All the runes were unique. I like to call it the "cantrip effect", and if customizing our spells and attacks like that were possible with the Cryptic engine, I'd sell all of my organs (except my eyes) to stay at home and just ...... mess with everything.

Nice to see a positive D3 response anywhere for a change. IMHO in any game the more options the better as long as they don't bog down the game and/or confuse most users.

Darn it, astigmatic and you said NOT the eyes, oh well :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Some malign faultfinders could say that in D3 many people used different abilities because most of them were bad anyway :D

(This is not true, anyway... pre-1.04 barbarians used the same 6 abilities. pre-1.04 Witch Doctors couldn't use pets and Monks are still stuck with Overawe and One with Everything.)
    Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    elveelve Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 336
    edited January 2013

Well, lvl 1-20 in 4th Edition D&D is lvl 1-60 in Neverwinter.

Anyway this video shows a bunch of the rogue's abilities. The video shows 4 daily, 5 encounter and 4 class powers(I think the class powers are different from the at-wills) but there is something really freaky about the skill window - there seem to be large gaps in the progression... tree? Anyway, we can see a lot of powers lvl 1 - 20 and then suddenly a huge gap. I think that the skills there are not implemented yet. Also AFAIK there are some skills at advanced lvl(over 30) that change according to the paragon path you have chosen(and I think these skills are also missing) so there might actually be a comparable amount of skills to the PnP game but structured differently.
  • Options
    markfalconemarkfalcone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4
    edited January 2013
    There seems to be a lot of confusion out there I'd like cleared up, because the new Beta packages seem to really look a lot like the kinds of perks given out for pay at the beginning of STO and CO except for one small thing: Lifetime Membership. As someone pointed out, this will be the first Cryptic game ever to start life as F2P. However that still would not make it the first to have started that way but also had paid member perks.

So here's the bottom line question:

Will there be a P2P and Lifetime member perk list for Neverwinter and will this Hero of the North package be a Lifetime Member package?

EDIT: Nevermind. A Moderator finally answered in another thread. Strange. Can't see that package being worth even $200 let alone how much they're claiming.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    One of the kickers that I think folks aren't translating into dollar amounts is the free Astral Diamonds with each package.
  • Options
    markfalconemarkfalcone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4
    edited January 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    One of the kickers that I think folks aren't translating into dollar amounts is the free Astral Diamonds with each package.

3750 zen to 4250 zen. Nope, took that into account. Out of 20,000 zen, only around 12,000 in digital stuff. And where is the "$549 value"? I don't even see the $200 value.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    3750 zen to 4250 zen. Nope, took that into account. Out of 20,000 zen, only around 12,000 in digital stuff. And where is the "$549 value"? I don't even see the $200 value.
    Well, I don't have any knowledge of how the Zen Store's prices will be, so I really cannot answer on any monetary value of the individual items. :(
  • Options
    mandodo69mandodo69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 6
    edited January 2013
    can we get astral diamonds in game or do we have to buy them and how do they work?
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Secondary currency like Dilithium and Questionite.

As for how they work, that's still under NDA but let's just say geerally other purchases and respecs could be used.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sevargathsevargath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    you intend to make more substantial pack to the $ 60 and $ 200?
    such as adding access to a vendor exclusive?
    also the corresponding 60 dollars in euro will be taken into account in the differential between the two currencies or converted, $ 60 to 60 €?
    how often you plan to add content just launched the title?
    1 major update on 3months?
    6iscnm.jpg
  • Options
    shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    sevargath wrote: »
    also the corresponding 60 dollars in euro will be taken into account in the differential between the two currencies or converted, $ 60 to 60 €?
    Hero pack costs 189,99€...
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    sevargath wrote: »
    you intend to make more substantial pack to the $ 60 and $ 200?
    such as adding access to a vendor exclusive?
    how often you plan to add content just launched the title?
    1 major update on 3months?
    shiaika wrote: »
    Hero pack costs 189,99€...

The "exclusive" is the mask and the location it grants...
    and all prices are listed as US Dollar. Conversion costs and VAT are the responsibility of the host country if your community does not offer it's own promotion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    slambitslambit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 282 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    there's quite a few english speaking people in europe, but i only see the euro price, would love to pay in pounds if it means i can get
    closer to the dollar price
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    All currency is translated to be as close as possible to the intended price.

I have seen other users have report a surcharge for non-US Payments but the price is static.
    The number of pounds and euros may vary but the value would remain the same.
  • Options
    slambitslambit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 282 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    All currency is translated to be as close as possible to the intended price.

I have seen other users have report a surcharge for non-US Payments but the price is static.
    The number of pounds and euros may vary but the value would remain the same.

Except that when i convert the 189.99 euro to dollars with todays exchange rate it ends up being 255 dollars give and take 1 dollar.
    that aint same value, thats 25% more

edit: for the price in euro to convert to 200 dollars it would have to be around 148 euro +-1,
  • Options
    pwetrailturtlepwetrailturtle Member, Cryptic Developers Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    slambit wrote: »
    Except that when i convert the 189.99 euro to dollars with todays exchange rate it ends up being 255 dollars give and take 1 dollar.
    that aint same value, thats 25% more

edit: for the price in euro to convert to 200 dollars it would have to be around 148 euro +-1,

That's due to the value-added tax that countries in the EU charge. It winds up being about a 25% surcharge, unfortunately.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    That's due to the value-added tax that countries in the EU charge. It winds up being about a 25% surcharge, unfortunately.

No way around the VAT, wasnt aware they had bumped it up to 25% was calculating 20%, not gonna nitpick over the last few dollars
    we still pay more, rates can change to our favor later i guess.
  • Options
    thefreelongthefreelong Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    1. Has there been any new information about when we might get our hands on the Foundry and start working on creating quests?
    2. Will it be possible for me to create quests where the players won't be able to use the "golden path" (Find the next objective help).

Earlier from the Q&A
    Q - "Will it be possible to get ahold of the Foundry and start working on our projects before release?"
    A - Yes.
This discussion has been closed.