test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ask Cryptic/PWE about Neverwinter

Comments

• Options
    crucial991199crucial991199 Member, NW_CrypticDev, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    lordxeran wrote: »
    Hey guys, thanks for all the wonderful info, me and my gf can't wait for this game to come out. We even each bought a copy of PC Gamer for the codes. A few quick questions though, those that PR will let you answer.

1. How many classes are being shot for at launch? Not differing builds but actual different classes, such as fighter and rogue, not GWF and GF.
    2. What will the tab button be auto-assigned to do in the game?
    3. Will there be a dps-style wizard?
    4. Any ranged (non spellcasting) classes in the works?
    5. Can we create foundry content that allows more then five simultaneous players?
    6. Can I haz beta be start now?

Hey there,
    1. We will launch with 5 classes. The Guardian Fighter, Great Weapon Fighter, Trickster Rogue, Devoted Cleric and Control Wizard.
    2. The Tab button is assigned to your class specific mechanic. This differs per class, but think Stealth for the Trickster Rogue and Unstoppable for the Great Weapon Fighter.
    3. We will launch with the Control Wizard. Other types of Wizards could be something we explore in the future, but for now we thought it more important to fill all of the combat roles and get a controller in there.
    4. There's lots in the works :) But, for launch there are only spellcasting ranged classes. That being said, the Trickster Rogue can specialize in several medium ranged attacks that allow him to play back a bit and deal damage at range.

Thanks for the questions :) Hope to see you in game!
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Hi,

I was trying to find your reply on "archer ranger" is "not in works" which you talked about but "melee ranger" is.

I was unable to search it, so can you please reconfirm it here and lay to rest the speculation?

{unless we were not supposed to know about it?}
  • Options
    shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    We will launch with 5 classes. The Guardian Fighter, Great Weapon Fighter, Trickster Rogue, Devoted Cleric and Control Wizard.
    Nice. Ranger was too troublesome? Overlapped with other classes' role? Hopefully everything goes well and slowly but steadily we get ranger, paladin, bard,... as well as variants of existing classes like wizard.
  • Options
    dioxazinedioxazine Member, NW_CrypticDev, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    shiaika wrote: »
    Nice. Ranger was too troublesome? Overlapped with other classes' role? Hopefully everything goes well and slowly but steadily we get ranger, paladin, bard,... as well as variants of existing classes like wizard.

If we get bard, I'm designing D&D versions of Lady Gaga costumes for all of the armor sets.

Just try and stop me, Squez.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    NOOOOOOOOOO!

You ruins it! Aaaaaaah!

Squez please stop her!

*Horrified, mortified, stupefied*
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    dioxazine wrote: »
    If we get bard, I'm designing D&D versions of Lady Gaga costumes for all of the armor sets.

I'll buy two! :D
  • Options
    kyllroy2kyllroy2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 309 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013

Thanks, now I cant get the Meat armor picture out of my head!
  • Options
    dualityeternaldualityeternal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I was looking into purchasing the Hero pack, but I have one thing I cannot find answered. The Menzo Renegade "Costume" more detail please? Is this a look we can keep constant throughout armor upgrades? I mean to take this as having costume slot/slots in our character panel for this to change our entire look regardless of what stat benefiting gear we may be wearing. Further info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Don't purchase this based on my statements but I believe it will be a static armor costume either throughout the life of the character or 'equip-able.'

I'll try to get an answer for this tomorrow, no promises, but I'm fairly sure a facial only costume (only thing not covered by clothing/armor) wouldn't make much sense.
  • Options
    dualityeternaldualityeternal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Don't purchase this based on my statements but I believe it will be a static armor costume either throughout the life of the character or 'equip-able.'

I'll try to get an answer for this tomorrow, no promises, but I'm fairly sure a facial only costume (only thing not covered by clothing/armor) wouldn't make much sense.

I am speaking about the Exiled Drow Costume, not the Mask Regalia. Just to clarify.
  • Options
    ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I have a basic question about the foundry. Are you able to save your game progress if you're in the middle of a quest (UGC specifically) and pick it up later when you log back in? Not all content will be created the same; some people will opt to tell an epic story over the course of a couple hours, while some missions might require a few minutes. I'm not concerned about the loot or end reward at this point.

Sometimes things come up, and I just want to know if I'll be able to resume my game where I left off or if I'll have to finish the whole thing in one sitting. It gives me a better idea of how long I'll be able to make my own missions.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

NOOOOOOOOOO!

You ruins it! Aaaaaaah!

Squez please stop her!

*Horrified, mortified, stupefied*
    zebular wrote: »
    I'll buy two! :D
    kyllroy2 wrote: »
    Thanks, now I cant get the Meat armor picture out of my head!

That will bring the "little monsters" to a whole new level...60!
    And they won't roar, they'll make this sound! :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    That will bring the "little monsters" to a whole new level...60!
    And they won't roar, they'll make this sound! :D
    In that video... I want the white crowned body-suit.. for my female drow cleric. Please? Thanks! :)

I might be joking.. but really, I probably am not.. and would probably buy it... seriously, I'm wierd like that.. you should see some of my hand-drawings for some of my female NPCs in my PnP Campaign. ;-)
  • Options
    mendilvarmendilvar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have not seen this posted anywhere, but will there be an ability to play as a DM on adventures either now or in the future?
  • Options
    indy20indy20 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I've got a question. Will Deekin Scalesinger be making an appearance in the game?
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    No you can't and no he's dead a long time back being 4th ed and all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    neowolfenneowolfen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 68
    edited February 2013
    indy20 wrote: »
    I've got a question. Will Deekin Scalesinger be making an appearance in the game?
    He does have a street named after him in Neverwinter however :)
    Ser Alathor Crownguard, Cwelenas Alenuath, Dwarin Stonefist, Danaerys Hellborn
  • Options
    neowolfenneowolfen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 68
    edited February 2013
    My questions are thusly..

1. Will there be plenty of variety of normal clothes for those characters who do not wish to look uber armored.. e.g. dresses, tunics, cleric robes, habits, noble clothes etc.. etc..etc..

2. Will we have the ability to disable visuals for ALL equippable slots or only some slots?
    Ser Alathor Crownguard, Cwelenas Alenuath, Dwarin Stonefist, Danaerys Hellborn
  • Options
    mazarenmazaren Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 67
    edited February 2013
    Auction house and crafting.... please
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thefreelongthefreelong Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    indy20 wrote: »
    No you can't and no he's dead a long time back being 4th ed and all.

Well...maybe a certain player (<
    ) will create an epic adventure where you need to help Deekin! :o
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Well...maybe a certain player (<
    ) will create an epic adventure where you need to help Deekin! :o

Great, *another* kill undead quest :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Great, *another* kill undead quest :p

pff should be a way to revive him :p no such thing as perma death in Dnd
  • Options
    xearrikxearrik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    pff should be a way to revive him :p no such thing as perma death in Dnd

Introducing... The Soul Crusher!!!

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20040216a
    Da kitties don't speak for me, deez kitties speak fur us all!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'll Keep this up till beta goes live. I'll improve it soon.
  • Options
    polynaohpolynaoh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Greetings ,

I have two things I'd like to know about :

1st - From my personal experience , MMOs have a tendency to provide a gameplay experience that often times feels empty and meaningless . After a while , the games just start to feel unexciting , homogenized and pretty much a chore . I would like to know if players can expect a bit of surprise in Neverwinter . Some sort of secret , something that needs to be discovered , a silly easter egg , anything beyond the same old linear chain of endless NPCs asking you to do trivial tasks like hunt 10 wolves at the mountains to the north , take this lunch to the tired lumberjack at the forest and whatnot . I would love to see something in a MMO that only some players could figure out .

2nd - The significance of loot . Gearing in MMOs is generally based entirely on stats . Items doesn't really have special properties , or something that would make you think about using one piece of equipment or another that isn't a big number indicating the weapon's DPS or an armor's defense rate . In other words , gear and loot in MMOs are generally volatile ; you'll use them for one or three levels and then you'll dump them , upgrading to your level's new gear with better stats .

Guess this is it . Thanks for your time and have a good one !
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    xearrik wrote: »

Quote :"Any living creature on the Material Plane who dies within ten miles of the soul crusher cannot be returned to life with a raise dead, reincarnation, or resurrection spell. A wish spell cannot return the destroyed soul to life, but a miracle spell has a 50% chance of recovering the soul's existence. If returned to existence, the soul can choose to continue to an appropriate afterlife, or return to life if the original body is available."

... pff still " no such thing as perma death in Dnd" :p
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    NDA means I can't detail, haveto leave that one for the devs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    absinthfee83absinthfee83 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Sorry, English is not my native language, but I like to ask a few questions. I don't mean to whine, but I have certain reservations about Neverwinter as an MMO and I just want to know this:

1. Why?

Dear Cryptic, why a MMO? Neverwinter Nights has a history of being a game with interesting companions, an complex (more or less, whoever you ask) storyline and an lone hero or villain who rises. It is about invoking emotions through trials by fire. Sure, the Nwn 2 Campaing Ending sucked because it was basically "Stones fall, everyone dies", but seriously, why make this a MMO? There is so much more to this than collecting gear and items while doing fetch-quests. I understand the need of epic battle, but was that the way? Or am I on the completly wrong track here? If so, please enlighten me.

Granted, the graphics so far don't look too shabby - it is a large improvement in comparison to WoW. But even then, the comparison to WoW worries me increasingly. Lighting looks atmospheric, though. Good job there, and I really appreciate the effort in making this world look "lively", something I often miss in RPGs.

2. You sure?

You don't need to read the following paragraph because it basically contains a feedback about Star Trek Online, if you are not interested. My point is "Are you really into this stuff or is this a marketing strategy?". 'Cause, ya know, people in general - me included - tend to be very sceptical about making something new using stuff they know and love. It is often undeserved and even if the change isn't bad or pushes things forward, people -especially players - tend to resent it on principle, because there is change.

Then there is the experience about Star Trek Online, which I recall with a shudder. When Star Trek was at its best, it asked clever questions about whether or not an artifical being was alive, made tearjerkers about civilisations long dead and how they implanted their legacy and had the player worriying about characters - their hopes, their dreams and their eventual fate. Even in the 2009-movie - which was basically a fun Action-Movie - the key moment was the death of Spock's Mom. Most important, it was Science Fiction ... meaning, if there was an inconsistency, there was enough technobabble to accept it.
    Then I played Star Trek Online and didn't even get through the Tutorial.
    A lowly Ensign is beamed on board of a vessel, which has appearently no responding personnel left and was boarded and overrun by an enemy who is known for immedietly assimilating any crew into dangerous cyborgs, through the shields and despite the fact that the vessels are appearently in the middle of a giant battle. One Ensign. Armed with a Handphaser, while the enemy is known to be immune to Rifleshots after two shots or so. I won't continue and get to the point.

I can't even begin to stress how wrong this is. The problem is consistency, and I am very, very afraid that Neverwinter will suffer a similar fate. Please tell me that I'm wrong.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    1. Why?

Dear Cryptic, why a MMO? Neverwinter Nights has a history of being a game with interesting companions, an complex (more or less, whoever you ask) storyline and an lone hero or villain who rises. It is about invoking emotions through trials by fire. Sure, the Nwn 2 Campaing Ending sucked because it was basically "Stones fall, everyone dies", but seriously, why make this a MMO? There is so much more to this than collecting gear and items while doing fetch-quests. I understand the need of epic battle, but was that the way? Or am I on the completly wrong track here? If so, please enlighten me.
    Howdy,

I'd just like to clear up this part, which is a common misconception due to the name of this game, Neverwinter Online. First of all, Cryptic is an MMO Development Company. That is what they do and that is what they are good at. Back when Neverwinter was originally being conceptualized and developed, Cryptic was owned by Atari and they wanted Cryptic to make Neverwinter into a Co-Op Game. Atari has since sold Cryptic, it's rights to Neverwinter Online, and then went bankrupt. Cryptic is now owned by Perfect World Entertainment (PWE), a leading publisher of Free to Play MMOs. Because both companies are focused on MMO, PWE has allowed Cryptic to make Neverwinter into the MMO they originally had wanted but Atari wouldn't allow.

Now to the Neverwinter Nights misconception. Neverwinter Online is NOT based off or, nor does it even follow in the series of Neverwinter Nights. This is not Neverwinter Nights 3. The City of Neverwinter has a long and colorful history in the Forgotten Realms and is far "older" than the Neverwinter Nights series. The only things that the games share in common are that they are both D&D, they are both set in the Forgotten Realms with the City of Neverwinter at the focus, and the history of the Forgotten Realms.

Neverwinter Online is set more than 100 years after the events of Neverwinter Nights 2. Beyond all this, the similarities end. Neverwinter Online is actually based extremely closely to the Neverwinter Campaign Setting for the 4th Edition Forgotten Realms source material for Paper & Pencil Dungeons & Dragons. As well, it closely follows and goes hand-in-hand with the "Neverwinter Saga" novels by the fabled and respectable author R.A. Salvatore. Neverwinter Online will be more close to actual Forgotten Realms lore and history than any of the Neverwinter Nights series were, as all parties involved in Neverwinter Online work very close together to make sure it all fits. These parties are Cryptic/PWE, Wizards of the Coast and R.A. Salvatore himself.

So now, take that knowledge in both companies being leaders and specializing in MMOs along with knowing that the game is not Neverwinter Nights 3 or even a part of the old Series, along with knowing that it is actually based upon source material and novels published by Wizards of the Coast (D&D), and hopefully this will answer your concerns and misconception about what it is based upon and to not go into it expecting it to be NWN3.

Also, keep in mind, most of your concerns relating to Star Trek Online were also under the Atari regime, who were never any good at making MMOs. Cryptic is now owned by PWE who do almost nothing but publish and make MMOs. Another thing of note is that many, if not all of, the Developers making Neverwinter Online are also active Paper & Pencil D&D players and/or role-players themselves.

If you crave even more, then I strongly suggest that you look into the history of the Forgotten Realms, particularly what has transpired since 4th Edition. The world has changed drastically. I would read up on the lore and history of Neverwinter and the Forgotten Realms since you may have last known it. Keep in mind, NWN series were set in 2nd and 3rd edition timeline lore and was never officially dubbed as being canon. Neverwinter Online however is based in 4th edition and because it goes hand-in-hand with both source material and novels that are canon, Neverwinter Online has the potential to be a better representation of The Forgotten Realms than the NWN series ever was.

I hope this has helped to give you a better understanding of what Neverwinter Online is and what it will be.

Cheers!

(TL;DR: This is not NWN3 and is not even a part of the series)
  • Options
    absinthfee83absinthfee83 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Thank you for your answers an clarifications. I really appreciate the effort.

I understand that the events transpiring behind the scenes often influence games in such manners. I am still a little uncomfortable, but I am willing to wait and see how Neverwinter works out. MMOs are still not really my thing though. A pity, but that's is personal taste.
  • Options
    dsnatsudsnatsu Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    My question:Is there any chance for linux release of the game?
This discussion has been closed.