test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

CDP Topic: Rewards & Progression

nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
For our new CDP topic we would like to hear feedback on Rewards & Progression in Neverwinter. Some great discussions related to this came up in previous CDP topics but we are now looking to focus on:
  • Reward quality and time spent to obtain
  • Existing and new reward categories
  • Rewards throughout the progression of the game (leveling) vs. endgame rewards
  • Rewards via crafting (especially Masterwork)
While some of the topics above may spawn their own individual CDPs, we wanted to provide a broader scope for rewards and refine the topic as needed in the future.

For information on the purpose of CDP discussions, please go here.

Note: Using the feedback format below allows us to better identify commonalities/differences and generate summaries and proposals more efficiently. As a reminder, the format is for feedback proposals, not for discussions/replies to another user’s proposal.

NOTE: All off-topic posts will be removed. Due to the increase in off-topic comments, we will be more stringent about this.

Feedback Format
Feedback Overview (short description of the proposed feedback)
Feedback Goal (what this feedback would target and accomplish)
Feedback Functionality (how would your feedback work in relation to the current design of Neverwinter)
Risks & Concerns (what problems can you foresee with implementing your feedback that you would like input on from members of this subforum)

Estimated Topic Discussion End Date: February 25, 2020

Reminders
  • We will not disclose information regarding unreleased or in-development content. This includes specific business-related metrics, dates or timelines, or licensing agreements.
  • Game development is the primary focus of the team - developer presence on these subforums cannot realistically be as frequent as the community would like. This does not mean the team is not invested in this initiative; it is taken very seriously. Thread summaries and actions plans developed once a topic has concluded its run are extremely valuable in maintaining the development team aware of the focused feedback, discussions, and community sentiment.
  • These subforums are meant to be a collaborative discussion where we all learn from each other, share perspectives, and come to the table with ideas for the improvement of Neverwinter. This does not mean that we will take action on every proposal or that positive comments from the development team are to be construed as promises.
  • Keep comments and discussions on topic and follow the CDP Conduct and Expectations.
Post edited by nitocris83 on

Comments

• tanais58cranetanais58crane Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    Ah now, this is one broad choice to cover. Could I get a clarification on something?

Are we also going to cover individual character rewards against multi-character account rewards as its own topic?

Or would it be the preference for that to be left for another future thread and only be broached in the extent that it affects rewards themselves?
    The stars are falling, and the old gods silent as death, with the blood sworn to rip you down from the night sky, what cost will pose too high?
  • theraxin#5169 theraxin Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    Okay, my first suggestion is: Separate this discussion into more parts and give it more time. As @thefabricant shown above, this is easily can be separated into more than 6, but in my opinion, into almost a dozen full discussions with the significant importance and weight. Which, if we only give any single aspect 3 days, just cannot reasonably fit into the deadline, but now even into this month.

Also, because everything is discussed structureless the same time it quickly becomes just a mesh of things that cannot be untangled.
  • cwhitesidedev#9752 cwhitesidedev Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 253 Cryptic Developer

Ah now, this is one broad choice to cover. Could I get a clarification on something?

Are we also going to cover individual character rewards against multi-character account rewards as its own topic?

Or would it be the preference for that to be left for another future thread and only be broached in the extent that it affects rewards themselves?

Yes we can absolutely discuss account bound and character bound.

Chris
    Also, I try for the first time to push my comment into the feedback format, but it's feels chopping as it does not even allow to explain the problem that I would like to fix, It went into the feedback functionality:

Feedback Overview: "Planned obsolescence" instead of "Random obsolescence"

Feedback Goal: More structured and purposeful introduction and use of items.

Feedback Functionality:

The problem: Currently the game seems to introduce new gear for almost only the sake of doing so, while significant parts of the game lacks purpose as it cannot give rewards (or more specifically, gear) to worth doing. We get a new pant and shirt every mod, while there are professions to be had to make shirts that needs more effort to be made, but filled a vast array of obsolete gear. Same with rings, we have jewelcrafting, but jewelcrafting is obsolete because almost every single piece of good ring designed to come from ToMM and even when it's not, like the Basilisk one, it feels like a huge mistake as it does not even come from MC. Also, the Mastercraft. It meant to compete with all other gear rewards, but sometimes the gear is just worse by the time it comes out and we only can dig up the nichest reasons why it's not full obsolete. When someone said that the manticore armor can be sold because it's a reagent for the next MC level... so basically a piece of gear is used as a token item to upgrade your MC and as a skin. I could rant about this for the next 2 page, but the point is, it's a mess.

The solution: It's only really needs some thought and the game currently has the solution, for some aspects. Like, the weapons are clearly separated by the "catch-up" one to adjust into mod16, the slighly better for those who did LoMM and the new tier for the next layer of difficulty after the trial. While I have concerns about how often should new tiers be introduced, at least I can reasonably tell people that the lionheart is expected to be the BiS until a new trial is introduced.

It only needs the same thought and separation: Why the catch-up pants from the new seal is just the best one? Why neither the profession and any other content cannot give my class a better shirt than the Ebony stained one that comes from an RNG roll 2 mods ago? I guess there is a mathematical formula that just spit out that the gears need X% of increase to fit into something, but is that serves it's purpose correctly?

Risks & Concerns: Because I did not specifically mention things like "make the BiS pants come from MC professions" or any other things, it's can be flexibly used enough to not have any specific risks. Maybe that it needs rethinking the whole reward structure as what content should be responsible and locked into which role and place huge attention when a piece of content wants to reward something that is not necessarily in it's specific role.
  • cwhitesidedev#9752 cwhitesidedev Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 253 Cryptic Developer

Okay, my first suggestion is: Separate this discussion into more parts and give it more time. As @thefabricant shown above, this is easily can be separated into more than 6, but in my opinion, into almost a dozen full discussions with the significant importance and weight. Which, if we only give any single aspect 3 days, just cannot reasonably fit into the deadline, but now even into this month.

Also, because everything is discussed structureless the same time it quickly becomes just a mesh of things that cannot be untangled.

Hi Theraxin,

If you get the time please do read the OP in full.

While some of the topics above may spawn their own individual CDPs, we wanted to provide a broader scope for rewards and refine the topic as needed in the future.

Chris
    edited February 2020

Hi Theraxin,

If you get the time please do read the OP in full.

Chris
    I read that part, but as I said, if there's no time to discuss or even bring up some less important, but significant points, because the discussion is so broad that I need to cut down to like 3 things, they won't come up again as no one could have voiced it's significance. Also, because as seen, very specific things can hog up days or a week to discuss by the community, it can easily end up just talking about a few thing and just not even touching important, but less popularly known parts of the topic, like mastercraft that does not really affect that much player.

But if I were just spamming out everything to fill into the time, I couldn't respond to other player's ideas or their own point as after it gets buried under 20 pages, no one will respond to correct me out or I would just not see it.

Edit: In short, I feel the 15 days pretty short even for a broader discussion, especially for those who probably couldn't just jumped in the first day on a few day basis as I can.

@theraxin#5169 I take issue with this, my post has structure, even a table of contents! :P
    Well, yes, posts by their own credit will be (hopefully) highly structured, but now imagine 18 people reacting for 6 of your topic on 3 different page with unrelated posts by the dozen between. Would you read every comment that does not mention you while also trying to discuss everything correctly and in a formulated way? I personally don't want to take 3 weeks off to just do that :D
  • josephskyrimjosephskyrim Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    Feedback Overview

Hunt bait-stuff drops shouldn't be RNG (I suppose it's classed as a "reward").

Feedback Goal

Make hunts easier to access.

Feedback Functionality

While I appreciate that RNG is required to limit the "good loot (is it really?)" that drops from hunts, any bait-type item should drop 100% of the time. This was previously done on the T-Rexes in Chult so that they reliably drop teeth (lol, doesn't that sound ridiculous), and the same change should apply to the rest of them: those current, and any similarly future "tiered" ones.

Risks & Concerns

None really. Chult is pretty old content now, so why increase player frustration when they're trying to enjoy that part of the game? Especially when it's just a numerical tweak that was already done once previously?
    Post edited by josephskyrim on
    If you can't stand on a chest, it is a mimic!
This discussion has been closed.