test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Say "NO" to Companions for PVP in Strongholds (Module 7)!!! (POLL)

ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
edited June 2015 in Player Feedback (PC)
As the title claims... One of the biggest "let downs" was that they enabled companions for open world PVP in IWD and DV.

I believe this alone was one of THE nails in the coffin for open world PVP and what caused it to fail.

Not only are there crazy insane OP companions: Cockatrice anyone? Or Blacksmith or Renegade Evoker is another....

But then add in things like "Stones" that can boost your stats even FURTHER creating an even BIGGER divide in gear between a BIS player and non-BIS player.

We need to go the OTHER way and lessen the gear divide! Please vote on having companions enabled or not for the PVP portion of Strongholds! Help us get the message across to NOT INCLUDE THEM FOR PVP!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• freshourfreshour Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    YES ONLY IF

I think people should be able to use them. But I think the companions that cause roots or stuns that are the "necessary" open world companions that truly just get people mad... I think they need to be left out. So it would be a pain to figure out which ones should be used, and which ones should be ruled out as they give a HUGE advantage if you don't have them.

So unless they did that, then of course. No companions are stupid in pvp lol. But for stats and stuff they are pretty cool. But absolutely not if they don't limit which ones you can bring.
  • schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I voited for no what i still not understand what will be the first ?

Stronghold

OR

Underdark

I think underdark will be mod 7 and stronghold is an expansion of underdark. Like ROT. I and ROT. II
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I voited for no what i still not understand what will be the first ?

Stronghold

OR

Underdark

Strongholds is the next one, probably will come out in August
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Strongholds first. Underdark later.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    We also teased Neverwinter: Strongholds, which will launch prior to Neverwinter: Underdark.

ok i see now
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    HECK no..

They should close Open world pvp to instances auto flag anyways.. remove pets.

sheesh worst fail Ive ever seen.
  • drkbodhidrkbodhi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,378 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    We don't even know the content of Strongholds, yet everyone wants to speculate that Hell will Freeze, when it goes LIVE.

No pets, No Augments.

I think we may need to institute some naked PvP. All competitors will lose their pets, artis, armor, accessories and enchants. All we will have left is builds and weapons. Talk about balanced PvP.

I am not kidding. Drider has Rogue-ball I think we need naked pillow fights in IWP and DV.
    ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    Leadership Council of Civil Anarchy
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • iamannoyingdeviliamannoyingdevil Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    ayroux wrote: »
    Strongholds is the next one, probably will come out in August

I doubt Strongholds will be released that late ,the Rage of demons/underdark campaign is due to start in September ,cryptic don't have the manpower to release 2 big module updates 1 after the other in August and September. http://wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2317/~/rage-of-demons-faq
    edited June 2015
    I doubt Strongholds will be released that late ,the Rage of demons/underdark campaign is due to start in September ,cryptic don't have the manpower to release 2 big module updates 1 after the other in August and September. http://wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2317/~/rage-of-demons-faq

When will Neverwinter: Underdark [working title] be available?
    Neverwinter: Rage of Demons will release in Fall 2015

It was my understanding that Summer ran through August (considering we have zero on the PTR at this point I doubt itll hit July) and then Fall could even go up until October.

I HIGHLY doubt Strongholds will add much - probably similar to Tiamat in that itll be a smaller "module" with a new "zone" (Stronghold area) and if I HAD to speculate (which I will probably be wrong) my guess is that it will be an "event timer" type thing in a new area. So itll have specific times to do specific things.

I think Underdark will be bigger, PVE content expanded upon, possibly new dungeons and maybe even a new campaign (which I REALLY hope does not involve more boons)
    edited June 2015
    What I will predict right now though is, if it features the use of companions for the PVP aspect of Stronholds, it will fail and become a HUGE flop. Most of the players will just end up sticking to GG and maybe domination since itll be super zergy, probably laggy and pets will make it stupid.

I REALLY REALLY hope I am wrong though!
    edited June 2015
    It literally BLOWS MY MIND that people want companions in PVP.

Do you all not realize how STUPIDLY overpowered some of these are?! Do you want to create a FURTHER gear divide between BIS players and casuals? Thats all that happens in companion PVP..... It becomes who has spent the most to get the OP companions.

Just go look at things like:
    Rustmonster
    Blacksmith
    Cockatrice
    Renegade Invoker

And then look at a STONE. You really want players running around with 6 ADDITIONAL rank 12 enchants on all those slots allowing them to have an even greater gear advantage?!

Sometimes you people amaze me.............

azlanfox, boltzmann42, chroococci, crimpatul, ghosty2a, jeynekassynder, jugger71, martanis117, mute209, nisckis, romanporter, sockmunkey, tekalina, teribad15
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The trailer shows 5, count 'em, 5 adventurers riding out to do battle - no companions, but this will not be settled until launch.
  • icyphishicyphish Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,255 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I wouldn't want to comment until we at least get to try it on test server.... :\
    icydrake%20avatar2_zpsg7rp0xti.jpg

Author of GWF Speed Demon PvP Build (Mod 11) <- Click to reveal the Speedy Beast! >:)
  • avengingangel93avengingangel93 Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I accidentally voted yes cause I was half-asleep at the time I typed this out and clicked :rolleyes: But yeah, I hope they don't allow companions in strongholds. IWD open world was enough I think, though I hope they settle more areas as open-world pvp minus companions. I love open world pvp.
  • quspivquspiv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,087 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I voted: Yes, because:

- I like variety and im wondering with what combinations will players come with.
    - some players prefer upgrading their companions over weapon and armor enchants which make as much if not bigger difference.

If you want to disable companions in open world pvp then disable all items which dont have tenacity as well.
  • mrsmcsmithymrsmcsmithy Member Posts: 43
    edited June 2015
    quspiv wrote: »
    I voted: Yes, because:

- I like variety and im wondering with what combinations will players come with.

probably the exact same combinations players had in iwd owpvp hence why it is dead 99.5% of the time
    edited June 2015
    probably the exact same combinations players had in iwd owpvp hence why it is dead 99.5% of the time

Iwd pvp is dead because there's not enough rewards. Make the pvp dailies reward 2-3k AD each and you will see plenty of flagged players.
  • smellykuntismellykunti Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I think Underdark will be bigger, PVE content expanded upon, possibly new dungeons and maybe even a new campaign (which I REALLY hope does not involve more boons)

i agree, but i think the "new" dungeons will only be new to the very new people. i bet the "new" dungeons will be rehashed OLD dungeons brought back with a little luster added.

Based on the amount of recycling Cryptic does with content it would lead one to think there is some type of Edison award for it.

I can see it on the front page now.

Neverwinter... We've gone Green. now with even more recycled content.

disclaimer . . . neverwinter consists of 80% post consumer recycled material.
  • helpimblindinrlhelpimblindinrl Member Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I dunno could be funny. We can probably find something like jagged blade to go really really crazy with by then. The whole thing is either an absurd joke or just casual schlock anyway so who cares. Acting like Neverwinter is anything like a competitive game is just going to lead to disappointment.
    edited June 2015
    icyphish wrote: »
    I wouldn't want to comment until we at least get to try it on test server.... :\

Go to IWD. Face someone who has all the stupid OP companions, who has 6 more rank 12s than you do. You wont stand a chance.

Again this will just further the gear divide.

This will just make for MORE unbalanced PVP.....

Its the SAME reasons people dont do IWD. Rewards is 1 but even if they added better rewards people would flag more but itll NEVER be real open world PVP. Because the good players know it wont come down to being good, itll come down to who can abuse pets more.

I just LAUGH when I go into OW PVP because I have most of the pets I have named and people kill themselves attacking me. I dont even have to attack back its that stupid.

I am literally SHOCKED people vote yes to this..... I cant even comprehend and all that means is that there are TONS of people who are completely clueless about this and the impact it will have.

People whine all day long about "gear divide" and "people exploiting for better gear" blah blah. Then comes along a new module that will INCREASE the gear divide, give MORE of the exploiters more reason to exploit to get ahead, furthering the gap from the casual and people WANT that because they think their companion looks cool?

most of the companions dont do much, but some of them are COMPLETELY dumb. Its really really just a joke.... Even just a stone. Some players who have infinite AD are just gonna buy a stone with all rank 12s giving them thousands of more stats than the average player..... And players think thats a good idea?

Honestly just pathetic, but I dont blame those that dont know, but before you vote you should go RESEARCH for yourself. For those that DO know..... I dont even know what to say to you....
    edited June 2015
    You forgot that open world pvp is different from instances games. In open world you can just zerg which creates more difference than few thousands stat points.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015
    Sure, I'll say no. I never thought they should serve any purpose in open world pvp in IWD either and falls inline with one of the reasons I don't PvP in Neverwinter: Balance; Companions make the already unbalanced PvP there even more so.
  • jugger71jugger71 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Hey man, I voted yes because I think it will be cool. Im not a dev, I dont code these broken things and im baffled they cant figure out to balance things. Gear divide, whatever. I wanna Joust man!
    edited June 2015
    And yes, IWD is dead because no one has any idea when and/or if a BID will ever spawn. Changing instances and blah blah worked for a time but it was a hassle. And as was said, whats the reward? 800 rough black ice, rank 4 enchant and some green mats? Please...
    edited June 2015
    Oh, and running all the way across the map to a BID only to find that it is bugged is quite enjoyable. Love it when that happens.
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    As the title claims... One of the biggest "let downs" was that they enabled companions for open world PVP in IWD and DV.

I believe this alone was one of THE nails in the coffin for open world PVP and what caused it to fail.

IMHO what caused it to fail was:

- The general more-or-less fail of IwD
    - The massive class imbalances in PvP
    - The lack of love for PvP in general - hour-long Q waits, matchmaking, imbalance between classes, the PvP-Guildies' premades' gang****s scaring newbies off,...
    - The lack of rewards for your efforts... ...PvP campaign IwD? What a grindfest... ...at least for everyone who's not a focussed PvPer.
    - The lack of an option to preselect a map with current PvP activity upon entering IwP / DwV => Ride through all the map - take peek - nuffink :^/ - ride back through all the map to entrance - switch map - ride through all the map - take a peek - ...

Not only are there crazy insane OP companions: Cockatrice anyone? Or Blacksmith or Renegade Evoker is another....

But then add in things like "Stones" that can boost your stats even FURTHER creating an even BIGGER divide in gear between a BIS player and non-BIS player.

We need to go the OTHER way and lessen the gear divide! Please vote on having companions enabled or not for the PVP portion of Strongholds! Help us get the message across to NOT INCLUDE THEM FOR PVP!

Specifically excluding some companions might make some sense. Excluding them all way less so.

As you mentioned stones: Every sane PvE player has one once he or she gets serious about getting ahead in this game. They're not exactly cheap, but acheivable even without RL cash investment - It doesn't have to be the orbiter of pollution all the time. And, once the augment is there, people build around what stats they have on them. So if you want to go to PvP (GG or Dom) you have to switch out gear (let's set the issue of Tenacity aside for a moment). This extra gear, costs you dearly, as well in Glory as in AD, which you have to invest for e.g. enchantments, and maybe the one or other piece of jewelry.

I could go on, but I won't. But i could.

I think companions should definitely be allowed. And the gap between BiS and contribution-capable is that horrendously wide in this game, that these extra centimetres IMHO don't matter.
  • putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Companions allows the PVE guilds to at least be semi-competent against PVP guilds. So PVPrs can open their wallets or go at it as is. Seems fair to me. They have to make more money from MOD 7, may as well be in the companion market :-)
    edited June 2015
    magenubbie wrote: »
    There's no fighting against a team of cockatrices. You can have all the augment pets you want (which is what most PvEers run as a summoned companion), but it still won't compete with a cockatrice. It wouldn't compete without it either. The average PvEer is not BiS. 90% of the PvPers you encounter are. The PvEer would be dead in seconds regardless.

And this is the best way to do that? Surely not.

People just dont know what they dont know I guess.... They think its cool cause they "bought some companion" and want to "add flavor to pvp" well, I hate to break it to you, but it doesnt add flavor with companions it only adds issues.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I have cockatrices....

I'm well aware of how unbalanced PvP with companions is. I know the devs had some kind of weird Pokemon fantasy when they made them enabled in IWD OPvP, but their active bonuses mean it doesn't actually work that way in practice.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Cockatrices?
    Yes, by all means ban those. And a few other companions, too.

Augments? +CC / +CCresist? +Stat (incl APgain etc.)? Healers?
    Heck why not.

PvPers vs. PvEers?
    Apart from experience issues, a lot could IMHO be attenuated by not considering gear tenacity boons, while upping the basic "free" tenacity effect.

BiS vs. non-BiS?
    This is the ancient thing with the bracket system, and this should finally get into this game. The lack of this is what really makes PvP so unattractive to many a enthusiastic PvE player. And makes them resign after a few of the roflstomp matches against guild premades...

And in the Guild-vs-Guild scenario, the question is similar. The PvP guild will almost always beat the PvE Guild, just by simple know-how, a lot of practice in the specific teamplay there etc. - but this might give some PvE guilds an incentive to get up to scratch in PvP...