test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ask Your Questions About Hunter Ranger Class Here.

Comments

• utuwerutuwer Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    elanrie wrote: »
    I am a ranger at lvl 30. Trying to decide whick path to take. I my inclination is to quest alone and do the game mostly alone. I will join in the social part but prefer not to group up. What path would be best for me? Also some one be so kind as to explain the difference in game play of one ranger path from the other. Thanks. Birel Huntinghawk@elanrie.

Stormwarden is more AoE oriented (Highlight is the encounter Split the sky) and Pathfinder is more single target oriented (highlight is the at-will Teamwork/Careful attack). Either of paths offers any power or feat superior than the other.

However, paragon paths is a different story. Archery (focus on range) is the worst compared to Combat (focus on melee) and Trapper(focus on spamming encounters).
    You say 4v5 is impossible? Cool story bro.
  • lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    elanrie wrote: »
    I am a ranger at lvl 30. Trying to decide whick path to take. I my inclination is to quest alone and do the game mostly alone. I will join in the social part but prefer not to group up. What path would be best for me? Also some one be so kind as to explain the difference in game play of one ranger path from the other. Thanks. Birel Huntinghawk@elanrie.

Even though I have never tried the Trapper path I would suggest that you give it a try if you are inclined to going it alone in Faerun. Archer struggles a bit during the leveling process and things may seem a bit messy along the way when mobs swarm you. CC is non-existent so you tend to do a lot of dodging, which could lead to you pulling other mobs close by. Trapper does decent damage and CC is amazing I am told. It's very much the flavour of the month spec and many are saying it will continue to be so in Mod 6. Coupled with a decent companion, Trapper will give you hours upon hours of fun play while holding it's own in solo content.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • shadowwalker2610shadowwalker2610 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    OK so this is a bit of a rant, but I really want this answered:

So I started off playing NW about 3 days ago and have gotten my first character (TR) up to level 26 and wanted to try something new, so I made a HR. It was doing fairly well in PvE, about the same as other classes I suppose. So, being an avid PvP player, I decided to test out my character against others. Sure, he's only lvl 15, but the other combatants will be within my level as well.

Long story short: he ♥♥♥♥ing sucks.

We're playing on the desert map (forgot the name) so I go to the middle of the map, climb on the bridge and attempt to support my team. ATTEMPT being the key word here. I was doing about 0 DMG. An exaggeration, of course, but the point being: I was weak af! Even when shooting a TR or another HR, it would probably take about 15 seconds of consecutive fire to get even 25% of their HP down!

Then this happens:

I get spotted by what I think was a Warlock. He started firing at me and pretty much decimated me in a matter of seconds (well, he would have, but I was able to escape). He got me down to about 10% health in a few seconds, whereas I could hardly make a dent in him.

Later, I also get ambushed and battered by a TR. But, no surprise there, since they have the highest single - target DPS in the game. Still didn't harm him, either...

Seriously, WTF is wrong with this class? I can't be doing something wrong, surely, I'm playing like an archer SHOULD play. Hanging back and blasting enemies. Yet, I'm so weak it's unbelievable! How am I getting out DPSd by a Warlock?

Does this class improve mid to late game? It's so unbelievably weak...

Also, for a quick test, I shot one of the training dummies for 10 seconds to see what the total DPS is, which was 1245. That's weak af.

Tell me this class gets better...
    edited April 2015
    OK so this is a bit of a rant, but I really want this answered:

So I started off playing NW about 3 days ago and have gotten my first character (TR) up to level 26 and wanted to try something new, so I made a HR. It was doing fairly well in PvE, about the same as other classes I suppose. So, being an avid PvP player, I decided to test out my character against others. Sure, he's only lvl 15, but the other combatants will be within my level as well.

Long story short: he ♥♥♥♥ing sucks.

We're playing on the desert map (forgot the name) so I go to the middle of the map, climb on the bridge and attempt to support my team. ATTEMPT being the key word here. I was doing about 0 DMG. An exaggeration, of course, but the point being: I was weak af! Even when shooting a TR or another HR, it would probably take about 15 seconds of consecutive fire to get even 25% of their HP down!

Then this happens:

I get spotted by what I think was a Warlock. He started firing at me and pretty much decimated me in a matter of seconds (well, he would have, but I was able to escape). He got me down to about 10% health in a few seconds, whereas I could hardly make a dent in him.

Later, I also get ambushed and battered by a TR. But, no surprise there, since they have the highest single - target DPS in the game. Still didn't harm him, either...

Seriously, WTF is wrong with this class? I can't be doing something wrong, surely, I'm playing like an archer SHOULD play. Hanging back and blasting enemies. Yet, I'm so weak it's unbelievable! How am I getting out DPSd by a Warlock?

Does this class improve mid to late game? It's so unbelievably weak...

Also, for a quick test, I shot one of the training dummies for 10 seconds to see what the total DPS is, which was 1245. That's weak af.

Tell me this class gets better...

First, HR is quite suck at early levels in pvp, squishy as hell and mediocre damage. It is because unlike TR or SW or CW, HR does not have the access to their key powers at low lvls.

Secondly, even in lower lvl pvp, there are folks who are running with their alts and their alts are usually very well-geared. Thus, do not be surprise when some folks would crush you like nothing.
    edited April 2015
    Thanks Utuwer, that makes sense :)
    Also, do you think that an archery focused build would be suitable for PvP and PvE? I don't really want to go the combat or trapper paragons, but I've heard that an archery build is fairly weak.... thoughts?
    edited April 2015
    Thanks Utuwer, that makes sense :)
    Also, do you think that an archery focused build would be suitable for PvP and PvE? I don't really want to go the combat or trapper paragons, but I've heard that an archery build is fairly weak.... thoughts?

Right now, Archery works "ok" for PvE. I say "ok" because I see many Archery HRs have to struggle in killing mobs while Combat or Trapper would wipe them easily.

For PvP, it is considered as the weakest among 3 trees since it lacks of mobility, survivability, and cc. Here is the survey for each class in PvP currently.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?869871-MOD-5-RESULTS-PvP-Class-Survey

However, things might change in mod 6. Archery gets new feats that increase their damage and kiting capability, also the new encounters seems to fit Archery play style.
    edited April 2015
    utuwer wrote: »
    Right now, Archery works "ok" for PvE. I say "ok" because I see many Archery HRs have to struggle in killing mobs while Combat or Trapper would wipe them easily.

For PvP, it is considered as the weakest among 3 trees since it lacks of mobility, survivability, and cc. Here is the survey for each class in PvP currently.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?869871-MOD-5-RESULTS-PvP-Class-Survey

However, things might change in mod 6. Archery gets new feats that increase their damage and kiting capability, also the new encounters seems to fit Archery play style.

Hm. That sucks... you'd think that the archery class would have more mmph in it's archery section... I'm probably still gonna go for it though, because I don't like how the melee section of the HR works. Besides, in my recent PvP matches I've been in the top 5 for points with only about 1 - 3 deaths. I tend to go high up (ledges, bridges etc) and provide support fire for my team, so the survivability part doesn't really matter. Plus, after 45m of waiting for a queue, I joined a group and came out on top for the most DPS by over 100,000 (had about 250,000) also had the most kills, so it's working well for me thus far! However, some of the skills in the archery tree, I don't like, so I'll chuck some into Combat instead. Hell, I might just go Trapping. Not sure.

Oh, and these new feats and encounters. Will I have to make a new char to get those? If so, then I don't mind spending a few £s to get some retraining stuff. Also, I play on Xbox One, which I imagine is fairly behind the PC, so how long can I expect to wait for this (I suspect "mods" are updates)?
    Last thing: What is kiting capability? Like versatility?
  • jaegernljaegernl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I tend to go high up (ledges, bridges etc) and provide support fire for my team, so the survivability part doesn't really matter.

I'd like to mention that NOT fighting on the node is generally a bad thing, unless you can pull enemies away from a node (a capture point) that's already under your teams control.

However, some of the skills in the archery tree, I don't like, so I'll chuck some into Combat instead. Hell, I might just go Trapping. Not sure.

The capstone (Final Feat in the tree) really makes or breaks a build. Hybrid builds, without capstones, I wouldn't recommend for someone new to the HR or the game in general. Make sure you grab a capstone.

Kiting is a common MMO term for pulling the mobs (or, in PvP, players) along whilst damaging them. You shoot, fall back, pulling them along, avoiding a head-on fight but slowly pecking them to death whilst staying out of their range.

Also, remember that you can respec your feats/boons without spending Zen. At any time, you can use AD to respec those. However, as you mentioned, you're on XBOX, and I hear their economy is rather starved for Astral Diamonds at the moment.
    Isaac the Adequate - Level 70 Oath of Protection Paladin
    Aurelius the Awkward - Level 70 Pathfinder Ranger
    We have looked into reports of players experiencing connection problems and have been unable to identify any server, data center, or client-side issues. We believe this may be ISP related.
    edited April 2015
    Kiting means you can hit targets and keep a safe distance from it. In short, it is like hit-n-run tactic.
    One of the new Archery feats will give you 25% movement speed for few seconds after being hit.
    edited April 2015
    Thanks for the help you two :)

I've tried to use this build calculator to sort of show what my feat distribution will look like, here it is:

http://nwcalc.com/hr?b=cn4:13ydj4:13ydj4,1u50ick:1uu5uv:100000:1u0000&h=0&p=swd

Most likely not perfect, but it's something. Any recommendations? Also, which paragon path, stormwarden or pathfinder, is the archery one?
    edited April 2015
    A question about Regen:

Everyone was moaning about how useless the stat would become in Mod 6 with the changes but I'm not so sure. I have about 600ish on my SW Archer and I am drinking far too many pots after fights, solo or dungeons. I was looking to craft 2 Personalized Adamant Rings of Recovery but the recipe hasn't appeared for me yet. I wonder if that isn't a sign. Would Personalized Adamant Ring of Regen be such a bad option seeing as we need all the HP we can get too? And if I do at least stack some Regen how much is enough to heal me from 1/3 to full in 5-10 secs?
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • rocknroguerocknrogue Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    is there an HR Trapper build for Mod 6?
    edited April 2015
    lirithiel wrote: »
    A question about Regen:

Everyone was moaning about how useless the stat would become in Mod 6 with the changes but I'm not so sure. I have about 600ish on my SW Archer and I am drinking far too many pots after fights, solo or dungeons. I was looking to craft 2 Personalized Adamant Rings of Recovery but the recipe hasn't appeared for me yet. I wonder if that isn't a sign. Would Personalized Adamant Ring of Regen be such a bad option seeing as we need all the HP we can get too? And if I do at least stack some Regen how much is enough to heal me from 1/3 to full in 5-10 secs?

With about 1.6k regen (boons+artifacts+gears), it gives me about 3.8k hp per tick out of combat. So it would take about about 16s to regen from 1/3 to full (from 29k to 88k hp).
  • pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Any good guides for Mod 6 Stormwarden Archery? Good companions?
  • query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The companion outlay should be about the same as in any of the earlier mod builds. Regen is kind of pointless as you can just buy potions and there is no cooldown between combats. For Trapper recovery is almpost useles. As is normal the devs throw ArPEn at HRs like candy. Since there are no set bonuses any longer basically your decission is going to be wether you want to go power or crit which will come down to you actual attribute distribution and play style.
    edited April 2015
    pointsman wrote: »
    Any good guides for Mod 6 Stormwarden Archery? Good companions?

I'm using the same ones as in Mod 5 (Ioun Stone of Allure, Fire Archon, Blink Dog, Dancing Blade and Wild Hunt Rider) but I want to get the Air Archon (for a decent price) and maybe Intellect Devourer now that it has been fixed. Not sure what to ditch tho :confused:
    Our pain is self chosen.

• sbc1629sbc1629 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    How's HR doing on this mod, for PvP and PvE? (without the bugs)
    I'm currently playing a GWF but always enjoyed playing with archers and was thinking about switching classes.
  • birdisthemanbirdistheman Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I just have a very general question.
    Just got my first hunter up and running and started doing epics.

So my question is...Are there any drops from bosses for Hunters (Class specific items)?

Looking around at loot tables created by other people, i have noticed that the other classes get usually between 2-6 drops every other dungeon almost, while I have only found 1 drop on FH for us Hunters.

My other classes and my friends get drops for days, while when im running my hunter, i pretty much end the dungeon with only items from the chest for me.

I'm not sure if the loot tables i've found are wrong, or if i'm just unlucky with drops. But if this is right, it really feels unfair for hunter in aspect of resources or gear.
  • thedemienthedemien Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    loot depends on your final ranking.
    There is a drop. At least in epic Lol , epic SoT, T2 I had run.
    It is all random game too. so don't be surprised even if you are top to get nothing while some low gs char could get 1kk loot.
  • thedemienthedemien Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    sbc1629 wrote: »
    How's HR doing on this mod, for PvP and PvE? (without the bugs)
    I'm currently playing a GWF but always enjoyed playing with archers and was thinking about switching classes.

too much bugs really
    in short
    - DR does not work on roots.
    - roots don't respect Control Strength. => you deal 0 damage / 0 control to bosses.
    - Thorn ward is doing 0 damage for reasons above
    - almost all rank 4 feet are bugged. Aspect of Lone Wolf decreases(!) deflect by 10%. aka from total deflect - 40% to 30% on rank 4
    - Wild medicine is a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and seems to to respect total HP
    - Some feet are total <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> now, like Batlehorned that give 400 regeneration = 1% of incoming healing now.

This are just major ones that I personally saw. Pretty sure there are way more.

Class is at best playable with exceptions of what you should not be investing /using /doing.
  • birdisthemanbirdistheman Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    thedemien wrote: »
    loot depends on your final ranking.
    There is a drop. At least in epic Lol , epic SoT, T2 I had run.
    It is all random game too. so don't be surprised even if you are top to get nothing while some low gs char could get 1kk loot.

I do understand that what drops is random

I'm more so talking about ALL drops in general. Not in a particular run.

If you go look at the dungeons on the wiki and look at the boss drops you see that according to them, Rangers just don't have class specific drops in dungeons.

This aspect is what I find unfair and just overall bad game mechanics.

I know I can do greed runs, but am waiting for my friends to level up so we can run together for it.
  • syrickwolfsyrickwolf Member Posts: 102
    edited April 2015
    thedemien wrote: »
    too much bugs really
    in short
    - DR does not work on roots.
    - roots don't respect Control Strength. => you deal 0 damage / 0 control to bosses.
    - Thorn ward is doing 0 damage for reasons above
    - almost all rank 4 feet are bugged. Aspect of Lone Wolf decreases(!) deflect by 10%. aka from total deflect - 40% to 30% on rank 4
    - Wild medicine is a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and seems to to respect total HP
    - Some feet are total <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> now, like Batlehorned that give 400 regeneration = 1% of incoming healing now.

This are just major ones that I personally saw. Pretty sure there are way more.

Class is at best playable with exceptions of what you should not be investing /using /doing.

im only using my hr for exploits once those are fixed ill use him for daily which at level 70 with full epic gear I NEED HELP DOING CAUSE I CANT COLO THEM WTH!!. and once they fix the bugs ill ocntinue playing it for more than just pvp
  • goldenlabanosgoldenlabanos Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2015
    Hi guys, I just started playing this game yesterday and chose HR for my first character. I just hit level 60 right now and wonder what are the quest that I can take to get decent items that I can use for PVP/PVE? I noticed that I have level 60 campaigns but I have no idea which one should I take. I need your advise please?
    edited May 2015
    You can to the Tyranny of Dragons campaign - you should have started that during the leveling process - and then move on to the 'new zones' (Drowned Shore, Reclamation Rock, Fiery Pit and Spinward Rise). The greens you get there are superior to the lvl 60 stuff. Then when you get to lvl 70 you get artifact bow and blades and then jump into dungeons and Sharandar, Dread Ring, Icewind dale and Well of Dragons to continue your quest for boons.
    Our pain is self chosen.

• goldenlabanosgoldenlabanos Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2015
    Thank your the response Sir Lirithiel. Unfortunately, I haven't started that campaign yet so this will be a pretty long tasks for me but I will do it anyway just to get decent equips.
  • w00trandomsnoobiw00trandomsnoobi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Does anyone know which has a better debuff, Thorn Ward or Commanding Shot? I use Thorn Ward exclusively, but I wonder if it would be better to use Commanding Shot against single targets, like dragons?
  • discoricediscorice Member Posts: 371 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I use thorn ward. It does what I need it to do while dodging around dropping rain of arrows and cordon of arrows. I mostly play solo, though. Have you considered Longstrider's Shot for a team buff/target debuff scenario? I still use thorn ward on dragons, because there's no extra reward given for inflating the numbers of others, but if you were looking for a really solid buff I'd use Longstrider's.
    Fear Of A Disco Planet
  • discoricediscorice Member Posts: 371 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I should've asked first - what kind of build are you going for?
    Fear Of A Disco Planet
    edited May 2015
    Does anyone know which has a better debuff, Thorn Ward or Commanding Shot? I use Thorn Ward exclusively, but I wonder if it would be better to use Commanding Shot against single targets, like dragons?

I would go with Thorn Ward if I had a choice between that and Commanding Shot. The animation for CS takes far too long and sometimes it doesn't even go off - wasted time that could have been spent casting something else.

However, it has been pointed out (by Rayrdan I think) that TW isn't working at it should (not factoring in ArP). I don't have space on my tray for it anyways. My SW Archer runs with Rain of Arrows, Cordon of Arrows and Longstrider's Shot.
    Our pain is self chosen.

• flector25flector25 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hello,

(Sorry if it's not the right place to post) I have a problem with my HR's damage(lv 70 archery spec), dont know if it's a bug, a nerf or something else, so I'm here hoping for help or an explanation.

Basically, after the last patch (5/13/015) i got my damage reduced by a roughly 10%:

Rapid shot was dealing 32xx max dmg before patch, now 29xx; longstrider was 7k, now 6.5k (showed on tooltisp) and so on for every at will/encounter.

I obviously didnt made any change on my gear/stats/feats/boons, just logged off right before patch, logged in next day and noticed the damag cut; tried to unequip/reequip everything, tried even a full respec but nothing changed, wondering what have caused this issue...

Any other HR got the same problem?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance