test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ask Your Questions About Hunter Ranger Class Here.

Comments

• alkemist80alkemist80 Member Posts: 957 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    query523 wrote: »
    I use the Aspect of the Pack feature. 2 seconds is basically most of the time you will be in any stance to begin with and it is smart to open with the best encounters (usually a strong root) in that stance so the 3% goes a long way. Also unlike pack you will use it solo and in party.

Err you mean Aspect of the Serpent?

I was thinking of swapping to that one. Not sure how my luck will fair with unlocking it.

How about the bonus feature? I currently have combat advantage bonus but was thinking control bonus if roots ever get it applied.
    Banshee (Devotion Justice Oathbound Paladin) - Crueladevil (Soulbinder Damnation Scourge Warlock) - Sindania Balefire (Master Infiltrator Trickster Rogue)

werewolf.jpg
  • ptquentinptquentin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ptquentin wrote: »
    I was thinking about leveling an Archery Stormwarden HR for pve (but anyway with good survivability for questing/exping etc).
    I made this build, my idea is to use
    - As Encounter: Split the Sky, Thorn Ward and Rain of Arrow (will Split the sky keep the mobs snared enough or i will need constricting or binding arrow to keep them away?)
    - As At-Will: Aimed Shot and Split Shot
    - As Class: Aspect of the Lone Wolf (when in solo, of the pack when in party/dungeon) and Stormstep Action or Aspect of the Falcon
    - As Daily: Cold Steel Hurricane and Disruptive Shot or Forest Meditation

What do you think? Advice and suggestion are welcome

OK, right now I'm lvl 10 and... Rain of Arrow don't heal, it's different from the tooltip of the calculator, plus i'm taking a lot of damage... Any of you can give me some advice? I would like to do a "classic ranger" char and so don't opt for trapper (that, as much as i understood, is based on changing stance between ranged and melee).
    P.S. Should I opt for a tank or healer companion?
  • query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    alkemist80 wrote: »
    Err you mean Aspect of the Serpent?

I was thinking of swapping to that one. Not sure how my luck will fair with unlocking it.

How about the bonus feature? I currently have combat advantage bonus but was thinking control bonus if roots ever get it applied.

Eh yeah that was a brain-<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> on my part.
    I really don't find any of the bonus features interesting enough to spend AD on the rolls. Kept what it came with. Stamina IIRC.
  • vadimt83vadimt83 Member Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ptquentin wrote: »
    OK, right now I'm lvl 10 and... Rain of Arrow don't heal, it's different from the tooltip of the calculator, plus i'm taking a lot of damage... Any of you can give me some advice? I would like to do a "classic ranger" char and so don't opt for trapper (that, as much as i understood, is based on changing stance between ranged and melee).
    P.S. Should I opt for a tank or healer companion?
    While leveling solo as an archer you need to keep distance between the mobs and yourself: marauders and hidering should be on your bar at lvl 10. When cornered swicth to melee->hindering->switch to ranged->marauder. This will get you back to safe distance. When I was leveling, consiticting arrow was my best friend but that was mod 2 so not very helpful. lol
  • query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yeah once they took the interupt out of constricting it lost a lot of cool points. Defensive RoA play still works really well (Got lowbie HR I am playing with) which is basically dropping RoA on top of yourself and then switching to melle so the aggroed mobs walk into it when attacking. Companion wise if you want to go ranged get a tank. I started my first HR rightaround last year's winterfest as an archery build. Went to the Mimic and used it clear till I got an augment.
  • th3warwitchth3warwitch Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I have a question..Do They get a pet I mean what is a hunter/ Ranger with out his loyal pet by his side.
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I have a question..Do They get a pet I mean what is a hunter/ Ranger with out his loyal pet by his side.

no, everyone in game can have a summoned pet tho.
    however it's probably bound to happen when the 3rd paragon path will come.
  • lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So with less than 24 hours left of 2 x RP weekend I want to get a general consensus on something. Currently my Combat HR has Waters of Elah'zad as one of the 3 artifacts but with regen going by the way of the dodo (well almost) I am considering refining Waters into Sigil of the Guardian. What says the HR community?
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • utuwerutuwer Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    lirithiel wrote: »
    So with less than 24 hours left of 2 x RP weekend I want to get a general consensus on something. Currently my Combat HR has Waters of Elah'zad as one of the 3 artifacts but with regen going by the way of the dodo (well almost) I am considering refining Waters into Sigil of the Guardian. What says the HR community?

If you have unused glory and some extra ADs, I would advise you to buy a pvp banner, lvl it up and feed to the sigil of the guardian.

Since the mod 6 is going to hit soon, it seems defense will be pretty decent due to the nerf of armor pen (everything will have much more higher armor pen resistance, and the dark enchantment does not get buffed like others). Regen is actually still useful for HR, if you slot binding arrow/oak skin. Recovery is still pretty solid.
    You say 4v5 is impossible? Cool story bro.
    edited March 2015
    Union into union, buy kessel if you can or wait for the paladin artifact like i will do.
    Regen is dead.
    edited March 2015
    utuwer wrote: »
    If you have unused glory and some extra ADs, I would advise you to buy a pvp banner, lvl it up and feed to the sigil of the guardian.

Since the mod 6 is going to hit soon, it seems defense will be pretty decent due to the nerf of armor pen (everything will have much more higher armor pen resistance, and the dark enchantment does not get buffed like others). Regen is actually still useful for HR, if you slot binding arrow/oak skin. Recovery is still pretty solid.

My other 2 artifacts are Eye of Lathander (have the 3-set) and Vanguard's Banner. Waters of Elah'zad is union and so is Sigil of the Guardian so I'd be getting bucketloads of RP if I refine waters into Guardian ^^

@Rayrdan: I'm not a **** lvling a Paladin, can't stand them, will never play one so that class artifact is out of the question. I was considering getting Kessel's Spheres for my Archer but with ArP playing a bigger factor in Mod 6 I think I'll stick with Lantern of Revelation - I have a green one waiting for Mod 6 so I can refine my Legendary one into the lvl 1.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
    edited March 2015
    My other 2 artifacts are Eye of Lathander (have the 3-set) and Vanguard's Banner. Waters of Elah'zad is union and so is Sigil of the Guardian so I'd be getting bucketloads of RP if I refine waters into Guardian ^^

@Rayrdan: I'm not a **** lvling a Paladin, can't stand them, will never play one so that class artifact is out of the question. I was considering getting Kessel's Spheres for my Archer but with ArP playing a bigger factor in Mod 6 I think I'll stick with Lantern of Revelation - I have a green one waiting for Mod 6 so I can refine my Legendary one into the lvl 1.

the problem is water into lanters gives likes 0 rp back.
    thats why i m looking a union artifact too.
  • noetic2noetic2 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm a Trapper and can't help but wonder at the HUGE difference in speed of recovery when attacking a single target as compared to multiple targets. With a mob around me, when roots kick in, I get near immediate recovery on my encounters. With a dragon, I wait around for what seems like eternity before I get my encounters back. Wonder what is exactly going on. Reduced recovery time for every tick? (Only one tick on targets that are immune?) Or is it reduced recovery for every target I score a hit on? Seriously. The amount of damage I get against multiple targets is among the best of any class. Among the worst DPS against a single target. Am I wrong? Exaggerating?
  • jhpnwjhpnw Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 611 Arc User
    edited March 2015

get you a man at arms companion then get setup with gateway for neverwinter play the sword coast adventures for 2 reasons advance your companions exspereince and training and in a short time you will get the dog companion for playing for free and you can run your proffessions from there as well as Auction House

hope this helps
    jhp
  • noetic2noetic2 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    jhpnw wrote: »
    get you a man at arms companion then get setup with gateway for neverwinter play the sword coast adventures for 2 reasons advance your companions exspereince and training and in a short time you will get the dog companion for playing for free and you can run your proffessions from there as well as Auction House

hope this helps
    jhp
    If you play the game long enough, you'll be awash in companions. I've never used my SCA dog, but my other dog, the Companion Quest dog was cool. Don't let looks fool you. It's ability to attack and prone opponents is surprisingly potent.
    edited March 2015

If you only ever buy zen once in this game I would suggest purchasing at least 500 zen to qualify for the first-time buyers' pack. It's contents are worth way more than a mere 500 zen and you get a War Dog companion (blue quality) which is a defender and has the prone ability. I myself use the War Dog for questing and dailies and even upgraded it to epic (purple).
    Our pain is self chosen.

• suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    On a different note, but on topic:

Do HR roots benefit from the +CC companions' bonus (Will'o'wisp, Cantankerous Mage)???
    edited March 2015
    yes but the increased control strenght isnt enough to get more than 1 tick extra.
    source: thread of a guy that was unsure about the companion performances and posted a bug report
  • jhpnwjhpnw Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 611 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    now at level 60 thinking about what to do with mod 6 coming hunter Ranger built around melee and worked on LS Defection and Amour pen and all my equipment was tailored that way. I have Dex and Wisdom maxed in points and deflecting @ 40% LS at 13% and AP at 28% before any thing kicks in on encounters.
    So my question
    Whats worth focusing on? Waiting for Mod 6 and it will be time to start working on amour sets so I don't want to spend ADs twice. I hear LS is dropping and some other things as well Should I go Trapper and is any one running storm warden trapper

thanks in advance
    jhp
  • utuwerutuwer Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    now at level 60 thinking about what to do with mod 6 coming hunter Ranger built around melee and worked on LS Defection and Amour pen and all my equipment was tailored that way. I have Dex and Wisdom maxed in points and deflecting @ 40% LS at 13% and AP at 28% before any thing kicks in on encounters.
    So my question
    Whats worth focusing on? Waiting for Mod 6 and it will be time to start working on amour sets so I don't want to spend ADs twice. I hear LS is dropping and some other things as well Should I go Trapper and is any one running storm warden trapper

thanks in advance
    jhp

It is the best to wait for mod 6 before investing into any stat.

From what I see on Preview server, as for offensive stats, armor pen will be very important due to the increasing of mobs/bosses' damage resistance (up to 80%) in pve and players's armor pen resistance in pvp.
    You say 4v5 is impossible? Cool story bro.
    edited March 2015
    now at level 60 thinking about what to do with mod 6 coming [...]
    So my question
    Whats worth focusing on?
    [...]

Campaigns: Get your Dread Ring, Sharandar, Icewind Dale boons as far as you can get NOW!

It's highly probable that this will become a bit more difficult with Mod 6.

Buy the T1 sets on AH for a measly 20-25 kAD, T2s for a little more. That's one day's AD refinement allowance, and to get the raws do Rhix quests and Skirmish Hour. The former is (the GG PvE and Crypts) 3kAD for 1 minute and another ten half an hour later, the latter is 6-10 k for an hour of mindless repetitive butchering, up to four or five times a day, e.g. in Dread Legion or Master of the Hunt...
    edited March 2015
    Slyblade Kobold companion, 3% extra damage to rooted or stunned. Is this a good companion for trapper?

I never really see many people talk about this guy. Looking to swap around 2 of my companions. Won't purchase now since mod 6 is around the near corner but just planning ahead.
    Banshee (Devotion Justice Oathbound Paladin) - Crueladevil (Soulbinder Damnation Scourge Warlock) - Sindania Balefire (Master Infiltrator Trickster Rogue)

werewolf.jpg
  • jaegernljaegernl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Slyblade Kobold companion, 3% extra damage to rooted or stunned. Is this a good companion for trapper?

I never really see many people talk about this guy. Looking to swap around 2 of my companions. Won't purchase now since mod 6 is around the near corner but just planning ahead.

I bought one a while ago, because it seemed like an excellent companion to me, too. However, testing on it is still inconclusive. I'm not 100% sure it works yet. Testing it is boring. So boring, I completely forgot to actually test it further. I'll get back to you on this!
    Isaac the Adequate - Level 70 Oath of Protection Paladin
    Aurelius the Awkward - Level 70 Pathfinder Ranger
    We have looked into reports of players experiencing connection problems and have been unable to identify any server, data center, or client-side issues. We believe this may be ISP related.
    edited March 2015
    jaegernl wrote: »
    I bought one a while ago, because it seemed like an excellent companion to me, too. However, testing on it is still inconclusive. I'm not 100% sure it works yet. Testing it is boring. So boring, I completely forgot to actually test it further. I'll get back to you on this!

Awesome, thanks for testing! Hope it's working.

werewolf.jpg
    edited March 2015

IIRC the active bonus does not work, someone tested it a good while back and said that it was bugged. Others are Intellect Devourer and the Dragon Cultist to name but a few.
    Our pain is self chosen.

edited March 2015
    IIRC the active bonus does not work, someone tested it a good while back and said that it was bugged. Others are Intellect Devourer and the Dragon Cultist to name but a few.

Actually one of the reasons why I have an empty spot to fill. I unslotted the broken dragon cultist. Oh well, back to the drawing board it looks like. I almost bit on the wild hunt rider but I'm not sure if I like the idea of a green companion. I wouldn't upgrade it any time soon.

werewolf.jpg
    edited March 2015
    ...Sylph is always good (+50% CC resist), though ofc high-price. But it's acc-wide - and you also get a white unicorn to ride on...
    edited March 2015
    Actually one of the reasons why I have an empty spot to fill. I unslotted the broken dragon cultist. Oh well, back to the drawing board it looks like. I almost bit on the wild hunt rider but I'm not sure if I like the idea of a green companion. I wouldn't upgrade it any time soon.

Actually in six days' time you can lvl the Wild Hunt Rider to lvl 30 so it would be a good bet.
    Our pain is self chosen.

• jaegernljaegernl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    My Wild Hunt Rider has been acting up, lately. Roots seem to proc it on a mob, not on me, and the buff - when it procs on me - lasts 15 minutes instead of 5 seconds. I'm confused.
    Isaac the Adequate - Level 70 Oath of Protection Paladin
    Aurelius the Awkward - Level 70 Pathfinder Ranger
    We have looked into reports of players experiencing connection problems and have been unable to identify any server, data center, or client-side issues. We believe this may be ISP related.
  • elanrieelanrie Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I am a ranger at lvl 30. Trying to decide whick path to take. I my inclination is to quest alone and do the game mostly alone. I will join in the social part but prefer not to group up. What path would be best for me? Also some one be so kind as to explain the difference in game play of one ranger path from the other. Thanks. Birel Huntinghawk@elanrie.