test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ask Your Questions About Hunter Ranger Class Here.

muramirimuramiri Member Posts: 21 Arc User
edited June 2015 in The Wilds
Because there are a lot of "one question threads" I created this thread where you can ask any questions about Hunter Ranger Class: mechanics, feat-builds, skill-builds, skill rotations, stats, etc. for Trapper/ Combat/ Archery.

There are a lot of players who can give an answer to any question so that everyone one will get it.

Also, it is a thrad to disscus about not only the Hunter Ranger's builds, stats, etc. but Gameplay to: PvE and PvP tactics/rotations.

Why all in one thread? it will keep the info together, it will be easyer for a novice to find the info he needs or to ask a question, and, i hope it will become a thread where all good players will help novices with good answers.

FaQ about Hunter Ranger Class:

Q:What race(s) I can choose for my Hunter Ranger?
A:Drow, Halfling, Half-Orc, Human, Wood Elf. All these races have as Ability Score bonus Dexterity which is the most important Ability Score for a Hunter Ranger.

Q:What Ability Score Values will be the best for my Hunter ranger?
A:First of all, you need to get the value of dexterity as high as you can (20), after that, for PvE you need Wisdom and for PvP you need some Constitution.

Q:What Feat Builds are there for a Hunter Ranger?
A:There are a lot of build, but, basicaly there are 6 build:
  • Archery, Stormwarden Paragon;
  • Archery, Pathfinder Paragon;
  • Combat, Stormwarden Paragon;
  • Combat, Pathfinder Paragon;
  • Trapper, Stormwarden Paragon;
  • Trapper, Pathfinder Paragon.

All these builds have a lot of variations, can be hybridizated. Remember that there is not the best build, and everyone should choose his HR's feats by himself. Ask for advice about builds in this thread if you need.

Q:Are there any bugged skills/feats?
A:http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?787111-List-of-mod-5-(preview)-HR-bugs

Q:There are only 3 slots for encounters on my panel, which encounter will be better to use?
A:Depending on the build, you should choose different encounter:
PvE:
  • For Archery: Thorn ward, Rain of Arrows and: Split the sky (for Stormwarden only) or Fox's Cunning or Maradeur's Escape or Binding Arrow or Comanding Shot(for both, Stormwarden and Pathfinder).
  • For Combat: Thorn Stike, Rain of Blades, Fox Shift. Also, you can use: Split the Sky (Stormwarden only) or Maradeur's rush, Steel Breeze, Boar Charge.
  • For Trapper: Constricting Arrow, Hindering Shot, Binding Arrow. Also you can use: Rain of Arrows, Maradeur's Escape, Fox's Cunning.

PvP:
  • For Archery: Fox's Cunning, Maradeur's Escape, Hindering Shot. Also, you can use, instead Maradeur and Hindering: Thorn Ward, Binding Arrow, Constricting Arrow, Commanding Shot, Hawk Shot, Split the sky.
  • For Combat: Fox Shift, Maradeurs Rush, Boar's Charge.
  • For Trapper: Fox's Cunning, Binding Arrow, Hindering Shot. Also, you can use, instead Binding or Hindering: Constricting Arrow.

Q:What At-will Powers are the best?
A:I can give no advice, depends on the situation and build, choose the at-wills that fit you well.

Q:What class features are good enought to be used?
A:Also depends on the build and situation, choose the class features that will give you more Damage for PvE and Survivability for PvP.
Post edited by muramiri on

Comments

• blackxxwolf3blackxxwolf3 Member Posts: 1,539 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    muramiri wrote: »
    Because there are a lot of "one question threads" I created this thread where you can ask any questions about Hunter Ranger Class: mechanics, feat-builds, skill-builds, skill rotations, stats, etc. for Trapper/ Combat/ Archery.

There are a lot of players who can give an answer to any question so that everyone one will get it.

Also, it is a thrad to disscus about not only the Hunter Ranger's builds, stats, etc. but Gameplay to: PvE and PvP tactics/rotations.

Why all in one thread? it will keep the info together, it will be easyer for a novice to find the info he needs or to ask a question, and, i hope it will become a thread where all good players will help novices with good answers.

FaQ about Hunter Ranger Class:

Q:What race(s) I can choose for my Hunter Ranger?
    A:Drow, Halfling, Half-Orc, Human, Wood Elf. All these races have as Ability Score bonus Dexterity which is the most important Ability Score for a Hunter Ranger.

Q:What Ability Score Values will be the best for my Hunter ranger?
    A:First of all, you need to get the value of dexterity as high as you can (20), after that, for PvE you need Wisdom and for PvP you need some Constitution.

Q:What Feat Builds are there for a Hunter Ranger?
    A:There are a lot of build, but, basicaly there are 6 build:
    • Archery, Stormwarden Paragon;
    • Archery, Pathfinder Paragon;
    • Combat, Stormwarden Paragon;
    • Combat, Pathfinder Paragon;
    • Trapper, Stormwarden Paragon;
    • Trapper, Pathfinder Paragon.

All these builds have a lot of variations, can be hybridizated. Remember that there is not the best build, and everyone should choose his HR's feats by himself. Ask for advice about builds in this thread if you need.

Q:Are there any bugged skills/feats?
    A:http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?787111-List-of-mod-5-(preview)-HR-bugs

Q:There are only 3 slots for encounters on my panel, which encounter will be better to use?
    A:Depending on the build, you should choose different encounter:
    PvE:
    • For Archery: Thorn ward, Rain of Arrows and: Split the sky (for Stormwarden only) or Fox's Cunning or Maradeur's Escape or Binding Arrow or Comanding Shot(for both, Stormwarden and Pathfinder).
    • For Combat: Thorn Stike, Rain of Blades, Fox Shift. Also, you can use: Split the Sky (Stormwarden only) or Maradeur's rush, Steel Breeze, Boar Charge.
    • For Trapper: Constricting Arrow, Hindering Shot, Binding Arrow. Also you can use: Rain of Arrows, Maradeur's Escape, Fox's Cunning.

PvP:
    • For Archery: Fox's Cunning, Maradeur's Escape, Hindering Shot. Also, you can use, instead Maradeur and Hindering: Thorn Ward, Binding Arrow, Constricting Arrow, Commanding Shot, Hawk Shot, Split the sky.
    • For Combat: Fox Shift, Maradeurs Rush, Boar's Charge.
    • For Trapper: Fox's Cunning, Binding Arrow, Hindering Shot. Also, you can use, instead Binding or Hindering: Constricting Arrow.

Q:What At-will Powers are the best?
    A:I can give no advice, depends on the situation and build, choose the at-wills that fit you well.

Q:What class features are good enought to be used?
    A:Also depends on the build and situation, choose the class features that will give you more Damage for PvE and Survivability for PvP.
    i am making a stormwarden trapper and working on it. i wanted a class good for pvp and pve. i used some lifesteal and it really stuck to me. im thinking of once i get it to 60 of making it mostly power and life steal fi i can. would you reccomend this for survivability in pvp.
  • muramirimuramiri Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    i am making a stormwarden trapper and working on it. i wanted a class good for pvp and pve. i used some lifesteal and it really stuck to me. im thinking of once i get it to 60 of making it mostly power and life steal fi i can. would you reccomend this for survivability in pvp.

I think Lifesteal is a stat that you need any way, but, for PvP is recomended to have at least 30k HP and decent deflection+armor.
    Of cource lifesteal provides survivability but, you need enough HP and armor to survive after a CW/TR/GWF/DC combo-cast or to resist a stunlock+dmg. when you will reach this lvl of survivability it is recomended, for pvp of coucre, to increase the ARP, at least 3k. it is an overcap for PvE, so if you want a hybrid, max power and crit.
    Crit has an interesting mech on the thorned roots: if the 1st tic is crit, then all tics will be critical.
    http://laggygamerz.com/forum/index.php?/topic/342-crit-power-and-dps-the-numbers-guide/
    the upper link will help you choose the amount of crit depending on power.

In conclusion: For PvP survivability, firs of all, you need an amount of HP and Armor+Deflect high enought to tank the dmg of an enemy combo-cast. The secondary Stats are ARP, then Crit+Power and lifesteal. For a hybrid (pve+pvp) the arp cap is between 2.4-2.7k, the lifesteal- about 10%, only after you reach this caps, you shoul incrase Power, Crit and if you want-lifesteal.
  • b4nd3rsn4tch1ngb4nd3rsn4tch1ng Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I have a question regarding the last Dread Ring Boon: Rampaging Madness or Endless Consumption?
    For a person who currently has negligible lifesteal but plans on having around 10%, Endless Consumption seems like a very good deal. But rampaging madness has good stat bonuses and would trigger reliably for me (Pathfinder trapper). In your experience, which of these boons is the better option, and do you know at what point one becomes better than the other?
  • caladon2caladon2 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I have a question regarding the last Dread Ring Boon: Rampaging Madness or Endless Consumption?
    For a person who currently has negligible lifesteal but plans on having around 10%, Endless Consumption seems like a very good deal. But rampaging madness has good stat bonuses and would trigger reliably for me (Pathfinder trapper). In your experience, which of these boons is the better option, and do you know at what point one becomes better than the other?

Personally i have played both archer and currently trapper spec, and have tried both boons out on each path, To me endless consumption is a better choice than madness, simply because extra life steal is never a bad thing, but madness always seems to trigger at the wrong time for me it seems and it isnt that big a boost once you are stacking power anyway.
  • lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I have Endless Consumption on my Archer with roughly 10% Lifesteal, while my Combat HR chose Rampaging Madness simply because of the faster attack speed which means I get it to 50 stacks very quickly.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • xanderleopard2#4636 xanderleopard2 Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    what is the best weapon enchantment for melee hr for pvp?
    i have perfect vorpal but my hr doesnt have critical because the pvp gear doesnt give crit. so im wondering whats the best weap ench for melee hr? flaming?

also i have lesser flaming and i thought it ticked constantly. but it doesnt. does the duration go higher for higher quality of the enchantment? a guy said this is best for me. why? i thought it lasted as long as my careful attack because my careful attack "hits" the enemy too. i thought that trigggerred the enchantment. but i was wrong.
  • query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Most likely GPF.
    edited January 2015
    what is the best weapon enchantment for melee hr for pvp?
    i have perfect vorpal but my hr doesnt have critical because the pvp gear doesnt give crit. so im wondering whats the best weap ench for melee hr? flaming?

also i have lesser flaming and i thought it ticked constantly. but it doesnt. does the duration go higher for higher quality of the enchantment? a guy said this is best for me. why? i thought it lasted as long as my careful attack because my careful attack "hits" the enemy too. i thought that trigggerred the enchantment. but i was wrong.

the best is plague fire. if the ench does not trigger, hit the foe with aimed strike.
  • blackiejblackiej Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Removed.

I got a reply from 3 different HR's ingame to the questions I posted above.
    Thanks a lot all for the fast responses.

No longer need to waste your precious time with already answered questions.

//
    ~ da Vinci (22k AC Faithfull PvP Cleric)
  • blazious11blazious11 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 331 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    There was a good Royal Guard Stormwarden Combat build in this forum, but I can't find it. Would someone help me with this, please?

Nevermind, found it, just a little old post.: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?745771-Effective-PvE-SW-Combat-Strategies
    My story is truly a grand tale! Of course, any story about me is going to be grand simply by virtue of the main character.
  • blazious11blazious11 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 331 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Could someone please write down the Corrupted and Purified sets' T3 stats? The collection only says the T2 stats.
    My story is truly a grand tale! Of course, any story about me is going to be grand simply by virtue of the main character.
  • bjanubjanu Member Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    How does stromwardens twin-blade storm exactly work:
    When the first time i read it i thought that it increases damage with aoe powers when more than 2 enemies are hit.
    But what about single target damage if you are hiting with it at the same time as your ongoing power deals dmg - like thornward and split the sky with rapid shot. Does it have a short active timer afer hiting 2 mobs during which all attacks deal increased dmg?

Fox-shift dodges the damage part of the attack but other effects are not dodged - is it supposed to work this way or is it a bug?
  • b4nd3rsn4tch1ngb4nd3rsn4tch1ng Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    bjanu wrote: »
    Fox-shift dodges the damage part of the attack but other effects are not dodged - is it supposed to work this way or is it a bug?

I'd also like to know whether Fox's Cunning not dodging control effects is WAI or a bug, if anybody could enlighten us. While I think the encounter is still fine as it is, it just seems odd that something that gives you a 'dodge' doesn't really make you dodge...
  • utuwerutuwer Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'd also like to know whether Fox's Cunning not dodging control effects is WAI or a bug, if anybody could enlighten us. While I think the encounter is still fine as it is, it just seems odd that something that gives you a 'dodge' doesn't really make you dodge...

Fox shift used to allow caster and allies dodge 1 hit including damage and CC back then when HR was released. As I remember, they nerfed/fixed it so that it only allows caster and allies dodge the damage part sometime before/after mod 4.
    You say 4v5 is impossible? Cool story bro.
    edited January 2015
    blazious11 wrote: »
    Could someone please write down the Corrupted and Purified sets' T3 stats? The collection only says the T2 stats.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?784821-gear-comparasion-with-mod-5-items

I have asked for this to be stickied numerous times but the mods keep ignoring my pleas. No point accessing it now as Mod 6 is around the corner but there is it.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
    edited January 2015
    bjanu wrote: »
    How does stromwardens twin-blade storm exactly work:
    When the first time i read it i thought that it increases damage with aoe powers when more than 2 enemies are hit.
    But what about single target damage if you are hiting with it at the same time as your ongoing power deals dmg - like thornward and split the sky with rapid shot. Does it have a short active timer afer hiting 2 mobs during which all attacks deal increased dmg?

Any time any ONE of your powers hit 3 mobs or more you will get the damage increase. So AoE attacks like StS, Split Shot, Electric Shot, Rain of Arrows/Swords, Hindering Strike will benefit but not attacks that only hit one mob i.e. TW.
    Our pain is self chosen.

• henricamphenricamp Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Hello!

I just started playing an chose HR as my class. I was willing to build a pve/pvp hybrid. Is pathfinder trapper a good choice? How does it fare comparing to other builds? How HR will be affected by the next mod?
    edited February 2015
    henricamp wrote: »
    Hello!

I just started playing an chose HR as my class. I was willing to build a pve/pvp hybrid. Is pathfinder trapper a good choice? How does it fare comparing to other builds? How HR will be affected by the next mod?

yes, it is a good choice, but you'll need 2 sets of equipment, pvp and pvp.
    next mod will not affect pathfinder trapper playstile.
    edited February 2015
    yes, it is a good choice, but you'll need 2 sets of equipment, pvp and pvp.
    next mod will not affect pathfinder trapper playstile.

Thanks for the fast response! ;)

What am I gonna be losing by going pathfinder instead of stormwarden? Do you have any build suggestions?
    edited February 2015
    Thanks for the fast response! ;)

What am I gonna be losing by going pathfinder instead of stormwarden? Do you have any build suggestions?

you lose just a little aoe dps, but you will gain A LOT of AP and the highest solo dps because of slasher spam and carefull attack. so you lose aoe dmg but gain solo target dps.
    build: IMO there is only one good build for trapper:
    http://nwcalc.com/hr?b=cn4:13ydj4:13ydj4,1xi3i0i:100000:100000:1uu5zv&h=0&p=pfr
    but you can choose lucky skirmisher instead disciple of dex.

encounters to use are given in the FAQ upper.
    edited February 2015
    you lose just a little aoe dps, but you will gain A LOT of AP and the highest solo dps because of slasher spam and carefull attack. so you lose aoe dmg but gain solo target dps.
    build: IMO there is only one good build for trapper:
    http://nwcalc.com/hr?b=cn4:13ydj4:13ydj4,1xi3i0i:100000:100000:1uu5zv&h=0&p=pfr
    but you can choose lucky skirmisher instead disciple of dex.

encounters to use are given in the FAQ upper.

Thanks a lot for your help!

On my current feat build (lvl 35), I put 3 points in lucky skirmisher and just 2/5 on predatory action. Also, I put 5 points into readied stance instead of fleet stance.

Are those difference worth a respec? I was also wondering if I'll get a free respec at lvl 60. I saw a couple topics about that, but couldn't find anything of recent date.
    edited February 2015
    So this late into Mod 5 I am considering switching from Pathfinder to Stormwarden on my Combat HR. Seeing as I mostly do dailies (solo) and Tiamat I don't think I am benefiting much from playing PF. The only ability from that PP that I use is Careful Attack and I don't much like the mechanic, even if it is very effective with Plague Fire enchant. I feel I could do more damage against packs of mobs, which I face more often than single target. My set-up as PF is: Aspect of the Pack, Aspect of the Lone Wolf, Rain of Swords, Fox Shift, Hindering Strike, Rapid Strike, Careful Attack, Disruptive Shot and Forest Ghost. Am I missing something or would I be doing more damage as SW with the same set-up.
    Our pain is self chosen.

edited February 2015
    Thanks a lot for your help!

On my current feat build (lvl 35), I put 3 points in lucky skirmisher and just 2/5 on predatory action. Also, I put 5 points into readied stance instead of fleet stance.

Are those difference worth a respec? I was also wondering if I'll get a free respec at lvl 60. I saw a couple topics about that, but couldn't find anything of recent date.

lucky skiemisher is worth the points. but readied stance is not, 'cause you already have a lot of ap gain and you will not notice it. and it is not worth respec, +10% movement speed is very important for onlypvp builds, not for hybrid, so it doesn't matter.
  • pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Any suggestions on a weapon enchant for PVE/PVP Stormwarden Archery HR, with the changes of Mod 6 in mind, and especially for a character on a budget?

I imagine Vorpal would be king this mod, but considering the stat changes, I am not so sure anymore. Plus Vorpal is expensive. I looked into Lightning and that is almost as expensive as Vorpal.

Has anyone tried something like Frost for stunning the enemies?
  • xeezertxeezert Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Plaguefire is a viable alternative imo. Not sure if it's considered a budget enchant for your purposes but I know it's cheaper than vorpal usually. You won't see the big crit numbers but from my experience the DPS difference isn't that dramatic however it's been a while since I compared both so results may vary. Plus PF will proc the RG bonus if you're using that set.
    Dragons are ruining my life.
    edited February 2015
    pointsman wrote: »
    Any suggestions on a weapon enchant for PVE/PVP Stormwarden Archery HR, with the changes of Mod 6 in mind, and especially for a character on a budget?

I imagine Vorpal would be king this mod, but considering the stat changes, I am not so sure anymore. Plus Vorpal is expensive. I looked into Lightning and that is almost as expensive as Vorpal.

Has anyone tried something like Frost for stunning the enemies?

plague is the cheapest one, and it is good enough to be used for any HR build. for the begining use plague, then, change it to a perfect vorpal.
  • ptquentinptquentin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I was thinking about leveling an Archery Stormwarden HR for pve (but anyway with good survivability for questing/exping etc).
    I made this build, my idea is to use
    - As Encounter: Split the Sky, Thorn Ward and Rain of Arrow (will Split the sky keep the mobs snared enough or i will need constricting or binding arrow to keep them away?)
    - As At-Will: Aimed Shot and Split Shot
    - As Class: Aspect of the Lone Wolf (when in solo, of the pack when in party/dungeon) and Stormstep Action or Aspect of the Falcon
    - As Daily: Cold Steel Hurricane and Disruptive Shot or Forest Meditation

What do you think? Advice and suggestion are welcome
    edited February 2015
    CSH is really bad. It never worked well and there has never been a fix. If you want a full-AP daily use Seismic. Disruptive has good synergy with StormStep but StormStep got nerfed a while back you will end up wanting the RG set bonus. I'm doubtfull on Aimed. There is some disagreement on thismatter but as an opener it is great. Once the engagement begins it has a long cast time and is easilly interupted. I prefer rapid for it's reliability. As an archer you relly won't have the control to keep mobs away. I'd focus more on killing them as they close. Note I switched to Trapper early in Mod 5 and have more experience with the earlier Archery builds.
  • alkemist80alkemist80 Member Posts: 957 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Just swapped from stormwarden combat to SW trapper. OH currently has AotP bonus and combat advantage bonus.

Q: What is a good artifact offhand class feature and bonus to go for for SW trapper?
    Banshee (Devotion Justice Oathbound Paladin) - Crueladevil (Soulbinder Damnation Scourge Warlock) - Sindania Balefire (Master Infiltrator Trickster Rogue)

werewolf.jpg
    edited February 2015
    I use the Aspect of the Pack feature. 2 seconds is basically most of the time you will be in any stance to begin with and it is smart to open with the best encounters (usually a strong root) in that stance so the 3% goes a long way. Also unlike pack you will use it solo and in party.