test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dominion monkeyjumping

Comments

• mirrorballsmirrorballs Member Posts: 877 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2015
    There is no bug, no glitch, no unexplained stat increases, nothing. The only reason people jump is;

(a) pure habit
    (b) timing/rythm
    (c) throwing off combo attacks
    (d) extending attack reach

(a) is simply what it states. Habit.
      (b) is also a type of (a). Sometimes people jump habitually to count, or regulate self rythm. Why do some fighters/boxers hop around when they can just walk around? Same thing. Sometimes it helps them concentrate, so its also a type of habit
      (c) is usually for classes with high movement speeds, like TRs or HRs, and is intended to throw off attacks or mess up enemy attack timing. The best example is against gap-closers. What happens if you jump around during fights? When a certain class uses a leap/lunge type of gap-closer, it doesn't land him at where the target is currently. It lands him where the target
    WAS when the gap closer was initially activated. Even if the gap-closer lands, when the wielder has finished moving/teleporting via the gap-closer, there is a certain bit of distance created. Jumping extends this distance as far as possible.

Practical example: WK TR's VP. When you land a VP from stealth it has a very short stun. So if the target just walks around everywhere, when VP hits, then the target is stunned and can be hit with follow-ups. However, when a very fast moving TR or HR jumps around, if is activated during when the target is in mid-air, guess what happens: VP takes you to that position, but after the apex of the jump the target is actually further away, and the distance is further away so immediate follow attacks may not connect.
      (d) is for melees usually - think about the TR jumping DF technique.

There's nothing wrong with jumping. The only thing wrong with it, if there is such a thing, is some people don't like it visually.
  • hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    There's no stat-grabbable disadvantages. It primarilly serves to confuse, make the red one lose track of your whereabouts - that's the legit part of it. It can effect - especially towards higher ping users - action cancels: The target simply isn't where the "shooter" anticipated it to be @ t = +300ms, based on data gathered @ t = -600ms. NW is somewhat lenient in that aspect, rather erring in favor of the attacker, but...

Also, the effect is greater the closer to the bunnyjumper you are, and the greater the changes of movement vector are.

The effect in this game is marginal in comparison to others, especially ofc egoshooters, because a) there's auto-lock-on for most ranged skills, b) aformentioned leniency regarding this, and c) all classes also have AoE attacks which serve OK as a workaround, though often at a certain loss of attack rate or damage...

Lastly, crits are purely determined by RNG, no "headshot crit box" as in an egoshooter.

Its crappily immersion breaking when that PvP-guild preform comes bouncing down the GG halways like someone tossed a handful of ping-pong balls, though...

...makes it obvious you're anyway probably facing 120k GS then, so - run or die.
    Guys, first of all, I am not new in this monkey/bunnyhopping stuff in mmorpg. RunesOfMagic, WOW, PW, TwelveSky2 and tons of other old style and action based mmorpg who have jump had similar stuffs. Jumping in order to confuse enemy is OK. Its normal thing. However in some games jumping also caused air hitting glitch, and while character jumped in air, no one could do damage to him, because system think that you are on higher grounds or whatever.

Like yesterday during GG, 1 ranger keep bounced almost all pvp time, and you know 15+ players could not take more than 10% of his HP. And he more less killed 7 then gived midle finger and moved to other place. Too bad I didn't record that. Guys gear score ~14.

I sometimes miss the even older ones... ...DOOM, where the 2D / pseudo-3D map coordinates didn't even offer the option :^[)
    I still have doom 1~3, quake 1~3 original CD's :) And wolfenstein. :) yeah, old 600 mhz cpu times.. XD
    ========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================
  • ryoshinetteryoshinette Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This game is more and more abused. Macros for interrupting CC, targetlocking, jumping, etc etc.
    No more legit pvp players? Naive question.
    Ryoshin GF (4.2k)
    .Suicide Squad.

• rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This game is more and more abused. Macros for interrupting CC, targetlocking, jumping, etc etc.
    well i know people using macros for jumping but never heard of interrupting cc cheats.
    targetlocking is something the game itself seems to allow...i would disable it.
    edited March 2015
    check mailbox on forum.

regards
    Ryoshin GF (4.2k)
    .Suicide Squad.

• asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    There have been a multitude of posts in this forum about bunnyhopping. Some claim it does not have a affect, some say, it does.

IMO it does. Some abilities target ground areas, not players. If you are not standig in the affected area, bc you are in the air, you are not affected.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
    edited March 2015

The only thing that's being more and more abused is the way how people simply forget the burden of proof and decide to claim any half-arsed, baseless rumour or lie without any proof or evidence whatsoever, and then send it whirling around the community as if it has any weight.

This "jump myth" has about as much credibility as Elvis sightings.

Hey, it's totally fine if I'm proven wrong. It's even better for the game if it is proven, since then we can ask for the devs to fix it. All anyone needs to do, is present evidence. For that last year and a half, no body was able to whenever this discussion came up.

Let's see if someone can do so this time.
  • vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I just like jumping.
  • suddenlyslowsuddenlyslow Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It just looks completely stupid is my major problem with it. Now a lot of things look just as bad, black ice armor, the new elemental armor. Most of the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> flash and bling effects and such things. While I am not a must for a game to have "visually appealing" as its main priority it bothers me when visual effects are added that actually take away from the look and this includes bunny hopping. I know as a TR, at least one power that has its animation and positioning effect altered by jumping, but this is not a commonly used PvP power and I don't know that it isn't intended.
    edited March 2015
    The only thing that's being more and more abused is the way how people simply forget the burden of proof and decide to claim any half-arsed, baseless rumour or lie without any proof or evidence whatsoever, and then send it whirling around the community as if it has any weight.

Hey, it's totally fine if I'm proven wrong. It's even better for the game if it is proven, since then we can ask for the devs to fix it. All anyone needs to do, is present evidence. For that last year and a half, no body was able to whenever this discussion came up.

So I have to record how can I use those "tricks" , then prove to you and get ban. No thanks. If you dont want to believe, we will not convince you.
    Ryoshin GF (4.2k)
    .Suicide Squad.

• marnivalmarnival Member Posts: 1,432 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Macros been used since day one to switch armor and land combos faster. Macros are in itself a grey area when it comes to cheats/abuse as its does what you can do ingame just faster and more accurate. However you can also use macros to abort actions or combocansel as its also called to abuse broken mechanics ingame.

Then we come to the real cheats like tracking devices and client hacking whish also been used but that require a much deeper skillset and must be adapted with every patch.

In most mmo games there are tools used by devs to monitor 3rd programs but I daubt NW uses that. If you report a player the norm is that a dev logs on and uses these tools to confirm cheats then ban the person in question as you never get a responce from NW for a couple of days it is highly unlikely they have that option here.

There will always be some very skilled programers that can figure out how to bend the rules in a game the more you can gain from it both monetary and gamewise the more common it will be.

From what i seen its not very common in NW but that some high end pvp guilds use it there is no question about....
  • schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    recognized this monkeyjumping myself, doing it somtimes myself , instictively, when somke bomed or dazed by TR´s, its like the hope to get away faster
    as caster class i did see some hunter jumping like apes nonstop, but...they died same way as not jumping, and i didn´t recognized that i missed more when casting, only effect is they sometimes jump out of your hitbox, but performed very bad in doing that all time, thats probabaly the problem for melle-classes who have to time more accurat their hits

tbh it looks redicules jumping all time, even if 3 mates are beside you and wait to cap, its anoying if some freak jumps all time like a bunny on LSD
  • hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    morenthar wrote: »
    GG PvP should never be used as an example of a PvP experience. You get the right situation and that 14k GS HR will very easily do what you claim he did. Those 7 people he killed very well could have all been 12k or lower characters as well.

Why GG pvp is not good example.. ITs just perfect.. Because 1 guy can give midle finger to 15+ players and they can't take even 10% of his HP. While when you face him 1vs1 and he got beated, no I should say annihilated. Because he could not take even 10%, Hell not even 5% of my HP.. Sounds interesting isin't. Tough guy who can give midle finger to 15+ players got annihilated by 1 SW which don't have uber top end gear...

@ to anyone.. it is not confirmed that jumping cause glitch. I just wrote What I seen, maybe there where some lag/glitch or whatever.
    ========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================
    edited March 2015
    So I have to record how can I use those "tricks" , then prove to you and get ban. No thanks. If you dont want to believe, we will not convince you.

You would have made one helluva inquisitor/witch hunter in the medieval ages.
    edited March 2015
    @ to anyone.. it is not confirmed that jumping cause glitch. I just wrote What I seen, maybe there where some lag/glitch or whatever.

@bloodyspamer: oh I don't doubt you truly believe that is what you have seen, except that's got nothing to do with whether its what actually happened or not.

I've learned more than 20 years ago that what people think they've seen, and what actually happened are two entirely different things. That's the reason why people learned that it was important to check the records and cross-reference each other to get an accurate picture of what might have happened -- instead of trust anecdotes and hearsay on face value.

Memory is a faulty thing, and it applies to anyone, even myself. Often there are times I see a WTF?! situation, and then have to go back and check the log records to see it was nothing out of the ordinary. These things happen all the time.
  • lwedarlwedar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    marnival wrote: »
    Macros been used since day one to switch armor and land combos faster. Macros are in itself a grey area when it comes to cheats/abuse as its does what you can do ingame just faster and more accurate. However you can also use macros to abort actions or combocansel as its also called to abuse broken mechanics ingame.

Then we come to the real cheats like tracking devices and client hacking whish also been used but that require a much deeper skillset and must be adapted with every patch.

In most mmo games there are tools used by devs to monitor 3rd programs but I daubt NW uses that. If you report a player the norm is that a dev logs on and uses these tools to confirm cheats then ban the person in question as you never get a responce from NW for a couple of days it is highly unlikely they have that option here.

There will always be some very skilled programers that can figure out how to bend the rules in a game the more you can gain from it both monetary and gamewise the more common it will be.

From what i seen its not very common in NW but that some high end pvp guilds use it there is no question about....

actually macros are not a grey area and are against ToS
    "we all love this game and want it to thrive"
  • overdriver13overdriver13 Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    @bloodyspamer: oh I don't doubt you truly believe that is what you have seen, except that's got nothing to do with whether its what actually happened or not.

I've learned more than 20 years ago that what people think they've seen, and what actually happened are two entirely different things. That's the reason why people learned that it was important to check the records and cross-reference each other to get an accurate picture of what might have happened -- instead of trust anecdotes and hearsay on face value.

Memory is a faulty thing, and it applies to anyone, even myself. Often there are times I see a WTF?! situation, and then have to go back and check the log records to see it was nothing out of the ordinary. These things happen all the time.

Gotta fully agree with this! Gear + skill will result in casual players yelling "hax" (and being serious about it) all the time. Proof is everything. That and a reliable system for preventing/removing exploits and hacks in game.
  • chrcorechrcore Member Posts: 329 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2015
    rayrdan wrote: »
    because its not broken XD

They didn't fix the astral resonator bug for a long time, did that mean it wasn't broken?

They still haven't fixed the soul forged with res sickness bug, does that mean it's not broken?

What about the heads of Tiamat that don't always rise? I guess because they haven't fixed that it's not broken.

They probably don't know how to fix the jump bug, but clearly it's like getting extra dodges without the cost of stamina. So yes, it is a bug.
    edited March 2015
    chrcore wrote: »
    They didn't fix the astral resonator bug for a long time, did that mean it wasn't broken?

They still haven't fixed the soul forged with res sickness bug, does that mean it's not broken?

What about the heads of Tiamat that don't always rise? I guess because they haven't fixed that it's not broken.

They probably don't know how to fix the jump bug, but clearly it's like getting extra dodges without the cost of stamina. So yes, it is a bug.

Need to prove that it's broken first. Everything you've mentioned had proof. Pics, videos, etc..

What proof do you have with the jump bug again? So far, for the last year and a half, nothing.

Nobody here is against fixing something that's proven to be broken. Just prove it first.
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    chrcore wrote: »

I wouldn't say it's a bug. You try to shoot where something is not. Miss. End of story.

It might even seem like a bug: Net delays make you see the enemy on the ground, while on his machine he's clearly in midair, the server mushes these two things up and decides what to do, sometimes his thumb goes up, and sometimes down. The higher your ping, the higher the chance (not meant as "random chance") that this discrepancy affects your aim. This is the story there, not the one that it is a bug.

So, to be on the safer side, it's wise to aim a bit high...

All the while, making jumping cost a wee bit of stamina wouldn't seem like a bad idea to me. But it plain and simple it is not a bug, not an exploit, just a way to help you mislead your enemy. But all by the rules.
  • amp7amp7 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    i agree...its used as a way to "dodge" another player's attacks, it should deplete stamina, just like a GWF sprint or a TR stealth reduction as well. when you start to see GWF or GWs even hop around from node to node, especially in GG, it's like being on monkey island.
  • wildwolf8wildwolf8 Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2015
    lol. this is funny. i liked how someone mentioned how 'older' players have issues with this the most. as what i would consider an older gamer, I totally hate trying to fight someone who's jumping all over the place. seriously makes me feel like a man out of my league, but a league i don't want to be a part of to begin with if that's what it takes to win.

and yeah, it was mostly rangers when I used to try pvp. probably trs too, but they were invisible most of the time so i couldn't see if they were jumping or not.

the jumping around reminds me of when i tried out a fps pvp for the first time (way late in the game compared to most) and learned that people would jump around snapping their scoped weapon for a fast kill. like what??? to me, playing like that isn't even fun. but i guess i'm just old.
  • suddenlyslowsuddenlyslow Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It isn't that I am old as to why I dislike the jumping, but it might be that I am simply too smart (being of at least average intelligence). I prefer a certain degree of realism in my fantasy (such a phrase often seems to trouble the younger players), and by that I mean that actions and things of non magical abilities should behave similarly in the fantasy world as they do in real. I would be just as bothered if swords had longer attack ranges than archery or if we swung weapons with our feat while walking on our hands. I am not saying that jumping should not be allowed, simply that one should suffer the penalties one might expect when hit while aloft and vulnerable in such a manner (e.g. auto crit, increased damage, good chance to be proned, etc).
  • greatweaponarmygreatweaponarmy Member Posts: 352 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    More PVE queens and lore hipsters complaining as usual.

This is getting very old.
  • spookholiospookholio Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Introduce Quake 1 style Speed Bunny Hopping to Neverwinter! Yay!

Okay, bad joke. Yes, have jumping deplete stamina as others have suggested - problem solved. :)
  • nevervisitnevervisit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Since I'm an HR main, built for PvP. We all have hit boxes... a moving and bouncing target is harder for you to hit than if I stayed on a single plane.

Watch the veteran players who fight vs the monkeyhoppers. They time their encounters and hop step along with them. Ever watch a GF *****slap a HR out of the air with a well timed jumping bullcharge? I have, and I also do it to others. Just think about it this way.. if I'm on the ground, and you shoot me in that area, I could make you miss cause now I've jumped in the air, and it usually isn't a straight up jump, we move around, switch stances in the air (as there are feats that encourage stance dancing) then encounter you in between. It's really a beautiful thing to witness.
  • pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Beautiful? It looks completely stupid, to be quite honest.

And yes it ought to consume stamina.
  • nevervisitnevervisit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    pointsman wrote: »
    Beautiful? It looks completely stupid, to be quite honest.

And yes it ought to consume stamina.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :) I'm ok with it consuming stamina. This will kill TRs more than any other class, as they need stamina to stay stealth longer (as rolling prolongs stealth gauge)

I understand why it's done, and since everyone can do it, I also employ the strategy. You only limit yourself if you don't use everything wthin the game mechanics to improve your own outcome for success. Forget about MMORPG PvP, this happens in veteran FPS matches, PvP matches with a 3d plane in general. The PvP games that lock you down to a single plane (like LoL or Dota as examples) or PvP games with auto target (which I hate, like in WoW) eliminate a specific skill required to succeed. I'm not saying you don't need skill to do well in any of the examples, I'm saying one required skill is removed.
  • benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Is this a real thing? When I play just pointing in the general direction of someone means my attacks auto lock on it, there is no way that someone jumping moves them out of my hit box. Are you all playing at 800x600 with a 60 degree FOV or something?
    edited March 2015
    benskix2 wrote: »
    Is this a real thing? When I play just pointing in the general direction of someone means my attacks auto lock on it, there is no way that someone jumping moves them out of my hit box. Are you all playing at 800x600 with a 60 degree FOV or something?

ben, it's simply mass placebo, and some people are still just going forward and spreading rumors without any basis. There are only a handful of powers that are non-targeted in this game. Almost every single ranged power requires target to activate, as well as melee powers, and NW isn't a non-target game like Tera, or other 1v1 fighting games. It's a targeted style of game like WoW -- any power activated will hit. You don't get to sidestep against a magic ball of fire headed your way. The only ability that does it is dodges, and even dodges can't dodge a power that's already activated. It only dodges at the timing where the other guy attacks while you're in the immunity frame (with the exception of broken stuff like trapper HRs).

The only known instances of hit-box futzing is IIRC one of the GF powers in which case is very sensitive to relative height difference.

Jumping does help with distance/range issues, and as I've posted some pages before, its especially helpful against rapid-movement powers, particularly gap-closers. Any TR who've tried a gap-closer like VP or Deft against (for example) knows how difficult it is to 'close-gaps' against HRs even if the power hits. Jumping does that.

Aside from this fact, there's nothing else. Dunno who started this rumour at first, but it goes a lot to show how malevolent and ignorant statements can simply circulate around these public forums and live forever.