test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What motivates you to keep playing?

Comments

• imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    bardaaron wrote: »
    I always thought that leveling was WAY TOO EASY and went much to quickly. We zoom to level 60 & then the interminable grind begins (or you're like me & give up on the main game to play Foundry Quests).

Back in the stone age, when I used to play and later code a MUD (that's an MMO without pictures, you kids, now get off my lawn), it took forever to get to max level. Many months of solid play. There were 120 levels on mine, so you still had progression, but if you made it to max level, you had achieved something. People respected a max level character, and max level characters in turn usually spent their time helping lower level characters get key pieces of equipment. There was no instance, so we'd pile as many people as we could into the room where the big bad was, hopefully with a strategy to counter its special attacks, and try to take it down.
    Leveling was slow but fun, and meant something. Here, on a double xp weekend, with your magic undies on? It takes no time at all, and a 60 is meaningless.
    Other MMOs I've been on have had much slower level progression. CoX, DDO, even Champions, which is another PWE game now. On all of those, the journey was the fun, not just the destination.

So yeah, I wish it was slower. Much slower. And I wish there was more variety of official mid-level content so that it wasn't so linear. At least there's Foundry for variety, even if it doesn't give me any usable gear.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I think the race through to level 60 problem is also a side effect of the "railroad" quest zones -- too small to explore or hold any interest, but just big enough to have railroad (don't leave the tracks!) questing.

It's the "Readers Digest" or "Cliff Notes" of MMOs.
  • ebonyshadowebonyshadow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    What keeps me here.... first and foremost.... a handful of people. Two friends and a whole bunch of guildies that I am mostly just getting to know. I enjoy the game, the mechanics, the classes, I've 9 lvl 60's (One of each class and a couple spare) and they all get played, none are 'leadership farms'. I solo a lot so enjoying the basic gameplay is a must, but I can find that elsewhere..... its the people that makes me stay put.

How do I cope with the bits that don't grab me (Mainly the RP grind), by focusing on just playing the game as normal, I just added four draconic hoard and then play as normal, sure it is slow, but I'm doing the bits I enjoy doing and the part I find tedious is slowly doing itself. On my main I tend to do a dread ring tower run for the coffer, IWD dailys (At least till I finish the whole campaign tree, I've still got a few gaps at the moment, I've compleated sharandar and dread ring campaigns) maybe farm sharandar for heal pots and ID scrolls (I don't even pick up green gear so I only ID blues, and I find more ID scolls than I do blues).... with everything I kill doing that, a get a fair few drops off the draconic hoard, so the artifacts and artifact equipment slowly rises. I'm not changing anything major now till mod6 comes in and I see what options that brings gear-wise.
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,492 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The good, that keeps me here (for now):
    * The fight system is excellent
    * I still have lots of room to grow. I play f2p, and my character is nowhere near BiS in most slots. I actually DO see the purpose of the grind here, it gives many/most of us something to stretch for and a small purpose to keep playing.

The bad, that might one day cause me to leave:
    * There is no purpose to having good gear nor improving gear at the moment. At 20.5k gs I can do all content with (too) little problems. Bring back some challenging content please, with associated good rewards. I have good memories of the days when the dungeons were challenging and rewarding.
  • henry404henry404 Member Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I keep playing because I enjoy it. If I didn't enjoy it I would stop.
    Maybe I'd go back to it after a while or maybe I wouldn't.

It's only a game. None of it really matters....
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I actually DO see the purpose of the grind here, it gives many/most of us something to stretch for and a small purpose to keep playing.

...and how much do you play?
    'cause I can tell you, at 4-5 skirmishes, maybe a half dozen HE's per week, you're talking years, and YEARS of "grinding." So, it's a pretty serious negative for us casual players. For example, it took me 3-4 months of mind-numbing grinding in Dread Ring to even be able to visit IWD.

RNG is a poor design crutch.
  • azahronazahron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I don't "keep playing". Instead I return to game from time to time for a couple of weeks or months, and have fun doing whatever strikes my fancy. Right now I'm getting my DC IWD ready for example by working on the Sharandar campaign.

I generally don't bother with the endgame grind and all that RNG nonsense. So when my current interest wanes again I'll likely be off to one of the other MMOs I play in a similar fashion.

The end result is that I'll always have something fun to play, without losing everything I've invested in any of them. Avoiding the repetitive "endgame" grinds has been my key to happines.
    Artificer.jpg
  • jumboyetjumboyet Member Posts: 211 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    My guild and friends on raidcall is keeping me in the game atm.
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    MMO Addiction . . . It's really that simple . . .
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • karakla1karakla1 Member Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    My daily routine is still the same.
    I do my daily quests to get boon books. And do some Tiamats to gather up more Linus Favor to unlock the last boon. (Only 4 more and it is done, Yay!)
    Besides that I will still do the dailys because I think the price of the books will increase after release of Module 6 and to have 2-4 books in storage is a good idea in my opinion to get a decent amount of money later.
    Then I farm the dragon heralds for chests, epic loot and other stuff to get money out of the process.
    Now I started to PvP a bit to gather glory to complete my PvP Collection and store some PvP Artifacts to upgrade my primary artifact if Module 6 is released.
    If the heralds not up I do PvP or farm at Rothe Valley close to the dragon encounter to get some RP Stones and farm the dragon to get the artifact (Imperial Rod) to complete my collection.
    Besides that I am an Achievement and Collection hunter. It still bugs me that I can’t complete Icespire because I missed the skirmish and the Icespire Achievement itself seems still bugged for complete the map.
    Another thing I try is to get the Foundry companions. Which reminds me of that you should all play my foundry which is mentioned in my signature (only 5 more ratings and I get the book imp *.*)

That is most likely what I do in Neverwinter.... and sometimes playing Foundrys or help other players with dungeons
    plat.png
    Platypus wielding a giant hammer, your argument is invalild!
  • kaknoepkaknoep Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    What keeps me playing..hmm.. probably just for lvling up artifacts.. highest is 77.. weapon and offhand still in 20 something and im now sure i won't make epic before i quit, 0.05% a day on an artifact is just insane, if you have 1 fine..but most of us end up with 7 !!!!
    How will you EVER reach 99 before the age of 112 ???.
    So 15 Linu for last WoD boon, then its bye bye.
    Also Protector Enclave spam is getting out of hand, Sharandar has INFINITE bots... going in and out of that tree..why developers just let that go on is beyond me.
    This game has come to a point where it frustrates me more then having fun..so very soon..time to move on.
  • thesensaithesensai Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Monk class being eventually developed so I can play my main PnP D&D character of years.
  • rgladiatorgladiato Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Because I enjoy playing. It's really that simple.
    Nixon the TR
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
    o1iHDN0.png?1
  • serpentsminion72serpentsminion72 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    -The amount of resources I've already invested in my main thus far to get him where he is. Both in modest (because, man...If I were stupid rich... let me tell ya...) amounts of RL currency invested every other several months into the zax, and professions and leadership time daily, with hardly a miss, for nearly two years now.
    -Several close buds that still play regularly, that I enjoy hanging out with.
    -Looking every week for new creative Foundry stuff. There are some good authors out there, and their quests provide nice breaks from the normal PvE stuff.
    -The grind for obtaining more Refinement points and upgrade reagents basically never ends. This, frankly, is simultaneously the most motivating and the most discouraging thing about this game and my least liked- as I'm certain it is with everybody, discounting the percentage of those who can afford to sink the RL finance into the ZAX to purchase finished R10's outright. Refinement has become the main factor this game is centered around in terms of outright defining character progess, overall power, and general status. Currently I'm outfitted very decent for the work and diamonds I've put in- Legendaries, and 5 r10's and rest all R9's(refined and ready, lot's of work since Beta... and only on ONE character that I ever play. My many alts are all failed characters that only grind away slaving leadership tasks, which I put a fair amount of time into each day) so need matching reagents and a hell of a lot more Marks.

-Recently, the announcement of more new content to see, quests to run, and further upgrade abilities to gears and enchantments. Seems like an exciting prospect to see more powerful capabilities, and I look forward to seeing what we can get, but it will make the progress we've all worked for so far seem much less felt or evident, as now, we have Rank 12 to shoot for, and M I L L I O N S and M I L L I O N S more RP to grind out...

-Overall, I still like the combat mechanics way better than other games I've played. Killing stuff is still just plain fun. (Though I'd like to see some expansion on the available spell choices I have on my wizard- we've been so limited to the same 5 or 6 button rotation for SOOoooo long now. Give me back my chain lightning, scorching ray, empowered fireballs and firewalls! Quick-cast! etc.!

-Did I mention killing stuff on this game with your friends is still way fun...
  • skinlikewinterskinlikewinter Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I like the semi free aim system. Others i have tried, have some tab button pressing and tons of powers at the bottom of the screen, its too much. The action combat system here is much better. If i can find another mmorpg with same combat system as Neverwinter, I will definitely give it a try.

Content here is just recycled. I need something new to try.
    I show player support, by only playing Neverwinter as F2P
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Changing character class also thoroughly changes the gameplay, which isn't really a standard thing among MMOs I played so far...

Furthermore, there's the point that I built up all the AD generating apparatus to be fairly well off in this game. Keeping that running makes me log in at least one or two times a day, so when taking a break for other vices (namely "The Secret World", currently) I still keep connected.

The last thing that brought me back in full "Oh YEAH!!!"-mode was the SW class and the DC change...
  • schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I really dont see any better game rigth now but.
    1-2 weak i cant really say i play this game i only go to test server to give honest feedback and login to live to pray and craft.
    There is nothing to do .
    Live server pvp is dead & broken i cant scratch dc or cant kill 4x TR (in perma daze)shocked out x2 shadow demise Blood bath perma steah etc etc...
    Not worth to do dungeons almost all t2 t3 prize is around 10k ad.
    Even artifact belts/cloaks are cheap .

I just pay becuz i wat , cuz release date is my birth day so i hope this mod will be my mod.
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
  • grumblesmorfgrumblesmorf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The fact that I still have about 30 character slots ready to level up new characters to end up playing all the classes in all the different ways I'd like to. The end game here seriously blows a bunch of big sweaty you-know-whats, but the leveling process, the game they made to get you from 1-60, is a lot of fun. There was clearly a lot of time, effort and genuine love put into THAT game and I'll keep playing it probably about 25 more times before they hopefully find some way to make the game actually fun at the end as well.
  • urlord283urlord283 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I have limited interaction with people... although I have begun to make an effort to be more involved with my cln(guild)....

That said I have never had a really bad interaction with anyone and most are very good.

The game is fun and familiar.

I know the new module will shake things up as it should

My answer is "why would not want to play?"

Urlord
  • highwayman1877highwayman1877 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2015
    I have several reasons to continue playing.

1. I have a group of friends to play with. Though if we found a new GM for our pnp gaming we'd probably play Neverwinter way less.

2. I haven't been to Icewind Dale yet. Been waiting for everyone to get to level 60 and get the boons.

3. Haven't joined a guild yet. Wanted something causal and role-playish or to create our own, but not enough people.

4. Haven't done all the quests in each area. I haven't even been to Mt. Hotenow or whatever it's called.

5. I haven't collected nearly enough items or companions. Especially companions. If I could I'd have them all. I don't care how useless they are.

As a casual player I've found that there is plenty to do. If I didn't have a job and played all day I might be bored though.
  • vinceent1vinceent1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    crytic please pleaseeee now i want definitely want akro or gentleman crush as companion. cryptic pleaseeeee
  • boltagesboltages Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Cause Black Desert is still not out
  • huajia2huajia2 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    That probably depends a lot on why you play games to begin with, and why this one attracted you're attention.

Not much of an MMO player myself, only played a handful over the years, and this is quickly turning into one of the ones I've stuck with the longest. Essentially, I think I can sum it up like this:

1) I'm a casual player who gets maybe an hour or two in of play a day if she's lucky, and usually every other day more likely. So it's taking me months to get even one character to level 60. So, so far, I haven't truly felt the grind yet.

2) I like the PVE content. If I get bored with the grinding, I'll probably delete one of my characters and completely restart from scratch. If I enjoy the game more while leveling up, I see no reason to waste my time grinding for gear the probably is useless to a PVE player. Also, replaying content never bothered me. I was never one to trade in my games after I finished them on console systems. I'd put them aside and revisit them a few months later. So why not do the same here?

3) It's D&D based, hence what drew me to begin with and has just enough of that feel to keep me around.

4) What I love most about games is that they tell a story. If I'm bored with PVE story, I've got countless foundry quests to play instead. Enough to keep me occupied for a very long time.

5) Foundry again. I get to make my own quests. And that's just really cool.

That's probably it in a nutshell.
  • zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I still have fun doing dailies (yes I am odd) and making AD and slowly progressing through refining my stuff. I see myself progressing little by little, and I like that feeling of rewards. Now for some I definitely understand its slow, but I come from an era where we had to work for what we wanted in video games, so long, possibly endless grinds don't bother me. (protip: don't try to do everything at once and don't try to rush yourself). I'm also really excited for Mod 6. I also love foundry, so when I am done with the dailies I wanted to do and if I still feel like playing I will do a foundry or level an alt or something.

All of that said, Neverwinter isn't the only game I am playing. I'd get bored fast if it was. I am also going through the steam release of Final Fantasy 4 currently (loving it!) and I also play World of Warcraft. I have a ton of other games I play from time to time too. The latest ones seem to be Angband and Heroes of Might and Magic 3.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • matthiasthehun76matthiasthehun76 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    My many alts keep my somewhat entertained, but the endless and not a single bit rewarding PVE segment makes me loose all hope bit by bit.

Some problems like with servers, exploiters, bad RNG design, power creep and i could go on don't make it fun either from day to day and sadly as i see it DEVs and Management don't give a dime about it, they are not building up on us long time players, more on the come and go casual players.

Last, but not least i am DnD addict and while- let's be honest- this game is not a single bit real DnD- a logo doesn't make it that- the pictures and some design part is real DnD and i feel for my alts, consider them like they were my children.

But yeah, hope fades away slowly, when i see that the core game breaking issues are not handled a single bit after nearly 2 years. OMG Example, yesterday after maintenance and patch i got disconnected so many times, i asked my self, what was done here. To be honest if such a technician would work at our industrial company, which is one of the world's largest and would do his job like that, the door would be opened for him on that moment, it wouldn't need thousands of customers complaining over 2 years.

Sad actually, cause game is a GEM (best action system amongst many games, sadly wasted, like in the utterly broken PVP), but a raw GEM, it would need care and a fine hand to guide it. The franchise alone is a huge boost and with proper care it would be awesome!
    The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy.
    Robert E. Lee

I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself.
    Winston Churchill

The human race is a herd. Here we are, unique, eternal aspects of consciousness with an infinity of potential, and we have allowed ourselves to become an unthinking, unquestioning blob of conformity and uniformity. A herd. Once we concede to the herd mentality, we can be controlled and directed by a tiny few. And we are.
    David Icke

• yokki1yokki1 Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    boltages wrote: »
    Cause Black Desert is still not out

this or skyforge or some other action mmo. nothing motivates me to continue. cryptic needs to revamp their whole end game stuff cause it is boring as it is now.
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I enjoy the game at the core. I loath tiamat and post-60 PvP (meaning I will more than likely never finish the pvp campaign or the WoD boons). But I have many good friends and a great guild. I also think Cryptic tends to try very hard to make good games. In this case, I think WotC has them by the short and curlies, and PWE is having financial problems in the US and is therefore forcing Cryptic to monetize more than they might otherwise want... So, contractual pressure on content from one side and financial pressure from the parent company on the other... makes it a hard environment to work in. Still. I think the core game is good and I don't plan to go elsewhere for the time being.
  • lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    My main reason for still playing? Forgotten Realms setting. I read so many of the novels in my 20's and the world got me hooked. The fact that there are 4 Elf races to play (well 3 for me) is another factor as I am crazy for elves and dragons.

The other factor is that there is truly nothing else out there to get me away from NW. I'm not someone who tries out every game on the market. If I find a game I like, I stick to it until it has run its course. Mod 6 might spell the end of NW for me if it's more the the same.

I love the idea of Foundry but I haven't explored that feature much yet except for running a few quests created by guildies and Angrysprite.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • overdriver13overdriver13 Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    What keeps me in this game is

1. that I have multiple characters I have spent money and time on

2. games I would rather play haven't been released yet

3. mod 6 hasn't dropped yet, gutting the characters I have spent money and time on (we'll see what happens there)

4. archeage is an even worse mess with infinite ques just to enter the game, poorly coded software that allows all kinds of exploits and hacks which trion responds to with a super heavy hand in a kind of mmo witch hunt, banning legit players and revoking their paid patron status, along with the hackers.

5. pvp is still kind of fun. we'll see if it reamins fun after mod 6.

6. The potential that neverwinter has. It COULD be an incredible game. Nothing comes close to the action-combat of this game. So I wait around fr it to come close to its potential but am disappointed when things that arent broke are fixed and new bells and whistles are added while parts of the game remain entirely broken since forever.
  • runonnikerunonnike Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    What motivates me? As a PvPer, not much lately.

1. When I get disconnected, it is a full 5 minutes before I can log in again.
    2. PvP queue takes at least 10 minutes to pop.
    3. Open-world PvP is pretty much dead.
    4. The preview shard is down, with no word from the Devs.
    5. A new module is being introduced, instead of bugs being fixed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]