test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What motivates you to keep playing?

robotpolisrobotpolis Member Posts: 24 Arc User
edited February 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
OK. I will be completely direct on honest here; I feel this game is getting boring and worse.

I cannot find the reasons I once had. I used to enjoy pvp so much; then it got killed by TR design.
I used to enjoy doing dungeon run with friends, hoping to acquire expensive loots; then it got killed by Tiamat. Hardcore refining mechanism become a wall that I cannot surpass, and it stresses me out. From now and then I'm thinking of leaving, but then I dont want to waste a lot of afford spent here. Don't want to spent that much time again to learn new game. That's the only thing that keeps me here.

So, all of you who are still playing, would you share with me what are you guys doing and how do you cope with all those?
Note: I'm not a P2W guy so please don't suggest Zen related 'fun' such as buying lots of key to open lockbox.

P/S: And to mod: I'm not threatening to leave the game or whatsoever. I'm really looking for the reason to stay cause I (used to) love this game and I did spent a lot of time here.
Post edited by robotpolis on

Comments

• reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The foundry. The ability to create and play endless content, make quests and being able to run it with friends, being able to create all the game ideas I have on my mind, create all the maps and settings I've got on my mind too, and being able to tell all the stories I've on my mind.
    If it wasn't for the foundry I wouldn't have played NW for more than a few months.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Don't force it, if you no longer enjoy the game just find something else to enjoy. I play some games longer than I actually enjoy or want to and it doesn't really do any good. I tried to point out issues in the game, but on the whole it's not improved (obviously imo). There is mod 6 coming of course, but the hype may let people down. A lot of it is redone if you want to come back after a break. There does appear to be a huge wall that I'm doubting any f2p non exploiter can reach BiS past mod 6 unless they make big changes such as reducing coal costs.
  • imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    reiwulf wrote: »
    The foundry. The ability to create and play endless content, make quests and being able to run it with friends, being able to create all the game ideas I have on my mind, create all the maps and settings I've got on my mind too, and being able to tell all the stories I've on my mind.
    If it wasn't for the foundry I wouldn't have played NW for more than a few months.

^^ This.

-- @Gruffydd
  • setimoselosetimoselo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Constant stream of content and HOPE (that everything is gonna get better)
    23uvq8m.png
  • vinceent1vinceent1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    whats work for me, dont play only with one class, otherwise you can easily burnt. you dont need nothing special for enjoy pve content on different classes. if you want pvp, gauntlgrym pvp is still playable, if you dont que in the first minute and use brain to play a little bit tacticaly.
  • myles08807myles08807 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'm leveling an alt now, the first time in half a year, so I'm seeing all the PVE content of the game again. There are lots of reminders buried inside the xp grind of why this 35-year veteran D&D player still enjoys Neverwinter:

- The occasional truly heroic quest. The low-level Linkletter series, linking with the Chasm quests forty-something levels later; the Chasm quests where one recovers Scar Company's banner and brings roses to a once-beautiful spellscarred woman: These give me a tremendous sense of duty fulfilled.

- Revisiting a favorite visual. I've been up Icespire Peak more times than most, but the first sight of Lakkar's axe-bridge still takes my breath away. I have used, and will continue to use, this game's settings to help describe and flesh out my tabletop gaming DMing.

- An impulsive, role-playing decision on my part as a new MMO player in June of 2013 to pursue Leadership as my profession of choice. Now that I have a number of toons producing AD for me via thrice-daily visits to the Gateway, and thanks to the excellent advice I have received on these forums, I can transfer around 1 million AD (insert Dr. Evil reference here) a week to my main. I know that some of you will scoff; I know that some of you have twenty or more alts and you make this in a day or two. Nevertheless, I'm happy with my output...but I'm adding more alts when I can.

- My game, my pace, my priorities, my resources. In a way I feel sorry for the young 'us just joining us; they'll never know the joy of unbound Coalescent Wards (I still have a bunch) or the simple pleasure of slapping four enchants together and upgrading without all this added RP nonsense. The fact that I've been playing since the waning days of open Beta; the fact that I remember Nightmare Thursday in all its glory; the idea that my DC main's 18.8k gear score was ground out the hard way long before DCs became the "easy button" for PVE. I'm still discovering combos and experimenting with ideas that are new to me, and I'll not be told by anyone that I'm "playing the game wrong". I've make epic mistakes and probably used more Injury Kits than most because of it...but when you see Myles from Nowhere, you're looking at an authentic character, one I role-play with gusto and one whose key combinations I strike in my sleep.

Sune's love to you all!
  • godlysoul2godlysoul2 Member Posts: 661 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    The hope that the progression system will level out more in the future, attracting a much larger competitive PvP audience. Then again, I haven't really played the game for a long time, just watched and waited for the potential realization of this hope....
  • bardaaronbardaaron Member Posts: 545 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    The Foundry is pretty much the only thing that keeps me playing. I long ago grew bored of Cryptic's PvE content, and after testing the Drowned Short on preview, I am looking forward to yet more boredom from them. So the Foundry is what keeps me here. I love to create stories (though I've only formally published 1 so far, I have several more in progress) and I love playing through others' creations. They are by far the most interesting & creative content in Neverwinter, often providing better content that any other MMO I have ever played. And since I have mostly given up the thought of the new Official content, I don't feel burdened by the lack of rewards. Yes, it absolutely needs an overhaul, because as is, the rewards are insulting. I'm just lucky that I don't care.

I play games, even MMOs, more for the experience & fun of playing them than for the rewards of leveling my character up. I'll be honest: DDO has much more entertaining quests than Neverwinter does. That was a big disappointment when I started playing Neverwinter. But the Foundry is capable of exceeding even DDO for quality of content. It just needs some love & appreciation. It needs a draw to get people playing them & the whole player base would be a lot happier.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Only motivating thing for me now are transmutes and new looks. Rest is just a days work of blood and sweat.
  • pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Like with everything in life, it's about the people you're with.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    pointsman wrote: »
    Like with everything in life, it's about the people you're with.

Same here. I still have a lot of fun playing with my guildmates. We still run dungeons, do skirmishes and dabble in PvP...and have fun mostly because we're playing together.

But to echo earlier points, if the game isn't fun, just take a break. If you're bored, there's no reason to try to "grind" things out. Just come back when there's new content for you to enjoy.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • herundrionherundrion Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    1) My guild
    2) Foundry
    3) New modules

Yeah, ths game gets grindy pretty quickly. Basic things are too easy to get and advanced things take too long to acquire. You can get from 0 to 13k GS real fast, but from 13k to 20k GS is months and months of grinding.

The dungeon content needs to be more spaced out and harder to "buy" your way to the top of PvE.
    Co-Founder of -Valor-
    vih2r9.png
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Game play style: "action" versus tab-targetting. Other games are drone-based no-brainers: press tab, press mouse button, rinse and repeat.

The imagery is fun, there are a lot of great artists at Cryptic, the environments are fun to explore, delving or not. Take the time to actually look around and explore the nooks and crannies. I've found mobs in many zones I doubt anyone even know are there.

Genuine D&D based stuff. How can you go wrong with that? It's just funky and silly when another game calls Trolls something else, or or their world by some weird fantasy name and stuff. The D&D Familiarity is a big plus.

As others have said: The foundry. There is probably only one in a thousand "good" quests in terms of what I like, but even those that aren;t all that great can still be fun to experience. Then there's the authorship; creating your own content. It's an unexplainable feeling when you get excitedly positive comments on your stuff.

Experimenting with out-of-game content creation, machinima, "screenshot photography" (I use Demo_Record, which is built into your game client) - because the artwork and environments are stunning when you look where no one else is looking (Demo_Record user Guide link in my signature if you want to explore that aspect).

And this is the most important for me: Relax, stop trying to maximize everything overnight; take your time, level alts, don;t be in a hurry to do anything. The Astral Diamonds will come, the Gear will be acquired, the Enchantments will get ranked-up and so on: in time. Nothing has to be done right now. And as I take my time in doing things: the game is constantly being updated. For me the trick is to allowed new content to be created faster than I go experiencing it. I only do Sharandar zone once every three or four days on one toon, for example: no stress with the grind of it.

If all else fails: take a break. Seriously, just take a break, stop Invoking and stop logging in for a few weeks, or even just once a week or something. Take a breather, spring is coming, get outside, experience life. Then, when life starts to bore you login again. Everything will be fresh.

To prevent burn-out stop trying to accomplish everything as fast as you can; a sports-car going a 100 miles an hour will run out of fuel long before the minivan going only 30 miles an hour. So be the minivan, not the sports-car.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited February 2015

To prevent burn-out stop trying to accomplish everything as fast as you can; a sports-car going a 100 miles an hour will run out of fuel long before the minivan going only 30 miles an hour. So be the minivan, not the sports-car.

FYI because of effieciencies in the gear ratio's the minivan will get farther at 55.
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    robotpolis wrote: »
    OK. I will be completely direct on honest here; I feel this game is getting boring and worse.

I cannot find the reasons I once had. I used to enjoy pvp so much; then it got killed by TR design.
    I used to enjoy doing dungeon run with friends, hoping to acquire expensive loots; then it got killed by Tiamat. Hardcore refining mechanism become a wall that I cannot surpass, and it stresses me out. From now and then I'm thinking of leaving, but then I dont want to waste a lot of afford spent here. Don't want to spent that much time again to learn new game. That's the only thing that keeps me here.

So, all of you who are still playing, would you share with me what are you guys doing and how do you cope with all those?
    Note: I'm not a P2W guy so please don't suggest Zen related 'fun' such as buying lots of key to open lockbox.

P/S: And to mod: I'm not threatening to leave the game or whatsoever. I'm really looking for the reason to stay cause I (used to) love this game and I did spent a lot of time here.

I am here only because of two people that play the game.
    Rodandog and Banelorne
    I have much respect for both of these people. They have been proven honorable in my eyes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • overdriver13overdriver13 Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    In order of importance:

1. The lack of anything truly better at this time. That is not a huge compliment to neverwinter. Most mmos right now are pretty crappy for pvp-centric players. I love pvp with a large dose of sandbox and a small dose of really good themepark. The biggest competitors to nw right now are either dated, or are actually better than nw in terms of the actual game, but are plagued with bugs, exploits, hacks, and customer service fails (like paying for a patron sub and not getting it).

2. The investment I have already made in Neverwinter in terms of money and time. It is hard to start a new game as a total nub when you already have like 6 level 60 characters and a ton of resources on a old game.

3. The constant inflow of new classes. Neverwinter does this RIGHT. Every class is fresh and different than all the others, is genuinely fun in its own way, and there is always a brand new class to try.

4. The action-combat in pvp is pure crack for action-combat junkies.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Hmm, of the four core advertised "key features" ...

Key Features
    • Completely Free-to-Play -- meh. Don't care.
    • Engaging Action Combat -- it's okay.
    • D&D Experience -- Sure if it were more than just barely names
    • Infinite Content -- Yep, that's the MAJOR feature.

1b329f24d491e07aa1fe41582cfaf2a21389142329.jpg
    Neverwinter comes with the Foundry, a dynamic toolset that provides you the game assets and a sandbox environment to create your own adventures. When your creation is complete, you can hook it up directly into the existing world for everyone in the community to play!

• checkmatein3checkmatein3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    My motivation comes from an epiphany so to speak that caused me to re-evaluate why I even play online games at all...

So, without further ado, the reason why I still play neverwinter are (in no particular order):

GENERAL
    1. It fits the kind of base expectations I have for the kind of classes I want to play (yes, even with all of the class difficulties).
    2. It fits the kind of genre of MMORPG that I like (fantasy/medieval/realistic graphics).
    3. It has a depth of lore and direction that is not dependent upon just a small team (i.e., D&D).
    4. It permits player creation as well as company chosen scenarios (i.e., the foundry).
    5. The requirements of graphics permits my current technology.
    6. The speed of the game (in any kind of combat) is to the point where players of all ages are (mostly) on equal footing.

PERSONAL
    1. I am happy that Neverwinter does not fall into the trap of the prevailing cultural expectation of immediate gratification. There is a general boredom overall with all MMORPGs and a move away from long term development to short-term apps.
    2. I get pleasure out of achieveing 1-2 things immediately, the majority of things through short and medium effort, a few things through long effort, and a handful of things through arduous mind-numbing grinding or waiting.
    3. <<Removed. Please see rule 3.15>>
    4. The investment (both time and some money) I have put in is reflected in both the achievements in (a) particular character(s) as well as my connections in the game. It would be difficult to rebuild these from scratch with another game. Also, I don't want to really start over.

COMMUNAL
    1. Neverwinter offers all kinds of guilds and even role play for those that need to act or socialize a certain way online. From the 'leave me alone, I just want to kill this by myself," to the "headsetted, web-cammed, twitch.tv recording player linked to other pros laughing with pepperoni pizza smeared lips at the wanna-bes in PvP." Whatever you want, its all here, and I found the kind of community microcosm that fits the way I want to interact within the game.
    2. Forums are easily accessible, searchable, and are not a mess of flaming and trolling, but actually give good (although sometimes dated) information to the careful student.
    LEVIATHAN--19.3k Metallic Dragonborn Guardian Fighter Swordmaster Loadouts

Guild--And the Imaginary Friends

• arandomusername1arandomusername1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
  • loganfrostloganfrost Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I play only PVE casually and mostly solo these days since the guilds I was part of broke up as people left the game and most of my friends list stopped playing or just doesn't ever talk. For me it's the simple things, I enjoy the non group required world events like the various dragons in the leveling zones, the Siege of Neverwinter event and the dragon heralds in WoD.

I enjoy the fluid combat system of this game, I have every class at level 60 except CW (I just can't level one of those past 30ish without getting bored). It's nice to have different styles and classes to play depending on my mood. I also like to go to lower level zones and help newer people run the dungeons and do the slightly harder quests or instances or just answer any questions they may have.

I enjoy open world farming for equipment or items to better my characters or to sell on the AH but with the drop rates and RNG getting worse and worse due to bots and exploiters this is getting less enjoyable and more frustrating and annoying.

I do some of the daily quest grind to try and better my GS on a few of my characters but I don't enjoy it, it's more of a job than anything else and I think it's unreasonable to expect people to do that grind over and over with every character as that is the only way to get the boons needed to improve (unless you pay 10,000 Zen per character). The game in general is very unfriendly towards alts with boons and character bound ioun stones etc, etc. I stopped trying to max everything out and get the best items once I realized that I have to do it again and again for every character.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I play, because the voices in my head tell me to.
  • iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    eldarth wrote: »
    Hmm, of the four core advertised "key features" ...

Key Features
    • Completely Free-to-Play -- meh. Don't care.
    • Engaging Action Combat -- it's okay.
    • D&D Experience -- Sure if it were more than just barely names
    • Infinite Content -- Yep, that's the MAJOR feature.

1b329f24d491e07aa1fe41582cfaf2a21389142329.jpg
    Neverwinter comes with the Foundry, a dynamic toolset that provides you the game assets and a sandbox environment to create your own adventures. When your creation is complete, you can hook it up directly into the existing world for everyone in the community to play!

Except, there's no reward for them to play it...

I'm hanging on because I enjoy the Forgotten Realms setting, the combat is really cool for real-time as opposed to turn-based. I've never been one to get the "best gear", so I've taken a somewhat milder approach to acquiring gear/boons. I also don't have hours upon hours a day to grind, some days I can get 4-5 hours, most days it's 1-2 hours in the evening, occasionally it's less than an hour to invoke and recycle professions. I have a life outside of the internet, it involves seeing the sun, almost daily. I don't have to get all my dailies finished daily, and that's ok. I do find many areas of the game to be tedious, (refining predominantly, AD generation) but if it's too tedious that evening, then I usually just invoke and move on for the night. The Foundry is fun to dabble with, I've finally gotten one quest to the point I wanted it after using feedback from a contest entry. Nobody plays it. My second quest is coming along a bit slower, I'm figuring out some more advanced storytelling features, some I'm pretty sure aren't possible yet. I'm in no hurry.
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
  • actausactaus Member Posts: 64
    edited February 2015
    robotpolis wrote: »

Someone once told me this before, if you personally can't enjoy the game, just quit it or take a break.

Well, it's very easy to say that.. But it's your time at the end of the day. Why do you have to find any reason to continue playing this game if you already formulated your idea. I think, in order to understand this more clearly, we have to look at the game company approach. Because this might be a "game" for us, but for them it's a money making business. Never Winter will grow bigger and bigger... before you even realize it, you already spend a lot of money and, or time. NW is not some kind of random MMORPG where people happly run together for fun. Everything about this game is competition between those people who heavily invested in game.

Anyways, I'm going to have to ask you this: What kept you playing for all those days. What is the point in playing NW if you already felt "boring", that must be saying something.
  • cheesegromitcheesegromit Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    1. The action-combat.

2. The constant inflow of new classes. Neverwinter does this RIGHT. Every class is fresh and different than all the others, is genuinely fun in its own way, and there is always a brand new class to try.

3. The lack of anything truly better at this time.

I've pruned the content and reordered but these are three of my biggest reasons for continuing to play. I've gone back and played a couple of other MMOs I have installed on my PC but I keep coming back to Neverwinter. Despite the myriad of issues the core combat is really fun and the classes are pretty unique in how they play. The rest of the content is shakey but adequate.

I have taken plenty of breaks from Neverwinter, play other games and have no desire to keep up to date with all the content because it's not realistically achievable for me. They all help in stopping me getting too burned out or frustrated with Neverwinter.
  • imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Except, there's no reward for them to play it...

I think that was kinda the point.

Here it is, one of their advertised four major features. It's one that a number of us have cited as the only reason we remain at Neverwinter. And it gets almost zero attention.

It needs attention. We've gone over ad nauseum what should be added, what could be added, etc. So far, we've had a few "official" people over the months say "yay Foundry, and there's a BIG push coming" or "tell me what you want in Foundry", but what we don't get is an implementation of any of that.

The way the game has been heading lately favors what someone previously called "locusts"... they come, they feed, they leave. In other words, a transitory and ephemeral player base. Every so often, though, you hear someone "official" talking about longevity and retention... and that's where Foundry can come in.

When there's always something new because the players are creating it, when there's no limitation placed by corporate deadline, when creativity is allowed to run rampant, and when there's a reason for people to play the quests once they are published then you have a great potential for retention and longevity. Retention + longevity = long term profits. Locusts = short term profits. Optimally, PWE should want both. For some reason though, that attention that Foundry needs to do this never comes through.
  • kevinevolutionkevinevolution Member Posts: 47
    edited February 2015
    I'd say the leveling it's so fun to play the quests but level 60 is another story
  • aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    For the same reason I started playing: because Wizards is putting out very few books.
  • bardaaronbardaaron Member Posts: 545 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    I always thought that leveling was WAY TOO EASY and went much to quickly. We zoom to level 60 & then the interminable grind begins (or you're like me & give up on the main game to play Foundry Quests).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'm mostly on autopilot when I play. It's more like a habit, than a joy to play Neverwinter at this point. The ungodly RP requirement is neither encouraging me to play, nor to spend money. The five modules of dailies made the end-game way mo monotonous. They should have stopped with that after the second module.
    What keeps me around is the fact that I enjoy spending time with my girlfriend leveling our alts, or just messing around in Sharandar and Dread Ring, doing lairs. Though, after so many play-throughs, the flaws of the game become more and more noticeable.
    I'm not saying it's all bad. The game is still fun to play - the action-combat is what keeps me from moving on to other games like AA which has a tome more content.
    So, yeah, to put it simple, those are my two reasons:
    - Spending time with my girlfriend
    - The gameplay is fun, though I fell like this is wearing thin.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • zephyrpillar1zephyrpillar1 Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I come and sit here 14 hours a day and im not entirely sure what I do to be honest, I just seem to run dungeon's until I get enough money to buy something. In the developers efforts to get more money they have stopped me from spending. I was once spending $20 - $100 per week on this game, now I am lucky to spend $10 a month. I do enjoy the style of play far above other mmo's but the grind is too long now.
    Trading was a large part of my enjoyment here but that was stopped with the binding of enchanted keys. (why they would bind a consumable that was used as the highest form of currency in the game ill never know)
    I am scared for what is coming with mod 6. Dungeon's were a great way to make money by farming t2 gear, but that was taken away with mod 5.
    So to be honest I really don't know. I help people as much as I can through guild and stuff but ive noticed most people get to level 60, understand the game and leave when faced with months or potentially even years of grinding.
    Someone else said this game is more habitual to them now and I have to agree. I am faithful to it though. I live in hope that the developers will realize that getting a lot of people to make small contributions in zen purchases is a much more profitable format than trying to get less people to pay a lot more, as it encourages gameplay and new players.
    One thing I am frustrated about is having an increase on enchantment and artifact levels when the refinement points are so hard to gain. But I cant get on preview so I guess ill just wait and see.